Perennials in the garden setting: Show us your pics!

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Very pretty. The lilies are gorgeous. I like the little stump there and is that a little mushroom hiding. You have a great start already! And as everyone says, all of our gardens are a work in progress, never quite done or happy til we move something around. Thanks for sharing. Keep them coming.
Sherry

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Don, Those lilies next to the Japanese Maple caught my eye right away.

Sandy

Andrews, NC(Zone 6a)

Been a while since my last post, Here's a pic of Shasta Daisies, Giant Purple Amaranth and Texas star Hibiscus. I used Messenger(plant food) for the first time this year and everything is way to BIG. It's almost scarey.

Gary

Thumbnail by gldandrews
Andrews, NC(Zone 6a)

Purple cone flower and bee balm.

Thumbnail by gldandrews
Andrews, NC(Zone 6a)

One more a closer shot of the Cone Flower

Thumbnail by gldandrews
(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Lovely flowers. I didn't know Messenger did that! I've used it this year and some of mine are giant sized too. Just getting ready to spray again tomorrow. They're very healthy though.

somewhere, PA

Is the bee balm the bluish flower? Very nice color!
Thanks for the late summer glory, glandrews!
Tam

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

That bee balm caught my attention too. Do you know the name?

Mid-Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5b)

I just browsed this thread. Can I ask two questions? SalmonMe, where did you find the plant color wheel? And, Ganziainpa, in what conditions are the Lobelia planted, and do they come back for you? Can't tell you how much I've learned here by just randomly viewing threads. Hopefully soon I'll learn how to post my own pictures. I'm somewhat of a newbie at Daves and to Forums as well as gardening. I look for lots of advice.

Thanks for posting everyone.

Clinton, IN(Zone 5b)

gldandrews-Do you use a blue filter when you take your pics or is that the actual color of your bee balm? If so, what variety is that because I love the color and have to get some!

Andrews, NC(Zone 6a)

Tammy,Dave, The Bee Balm is the Bluish Flower. Sorry Don't know the name as it came from an old Homestead. This Mum came from the smae place.

Gary

Thumbnail by gldandrews
Andrews, NC(Zone 6a)

Flowerchild, No that the Color. I'm not High Tech enough to use filters and such. LOL

Clinton, IN(Zone 5b)

Could I possibly beg you for a start of that? I will happily trade for anything I have that you would want or pay for postage!

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

That's mum's a beauty too Gary. Sometimes the old plants are the best. they've stuck around for a reason :-)

gram

Renfrew, PA(Zone 5a)

Candyinpok, the Lobelia are planted in a spot that stays fairly moist for long periods. The soil there has a high clay content, ammended with peat and good loamy top soil and can even be wet for weeks in the spring. They get full sun till about 1 pm then filtered to deep shade by late afternoon. This is their second summer with me. I realy love that intense red red.

Mid-Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5b)

Well that's encouraging maybe. I'll amend and give them the same light and maybe water frequently? I'm not sure it stays moist enough. The really moist place gets very little sun. I'm determined to have this plant if I can. I'm envious of those red tube like flowers that only the southern people seem to get to come back every year, you know, like the red agastaches, etc. But I'm mostly dry clay and full sun.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Candy, I have cardinal flower (red lobelia) in 2 spots. It is happiest in my bog (always wet soil connected to my water garden) but does well in a drier area. Both are in about 1/2 shade.
If you have a spot that puddles after it rains, that would help.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Candy, my cardinal lobelia is in deep shade and flowering well. Moisture is the main thing they're looking for.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

August is the worst month in my garden for color. Here is one bright spot with Black Knight buddleia and some cosmos that reseed, along with some coleus and sweet potato vine.

This message was edited Aug 18, 2006 11:56 AM

Thumbnail by lincolnitess
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

A few late blooming daylililies are still hanging in there. The tall gold one is Autumn Minaret and the red one is August Flame and the yellow one in back is Sandra Elizabeth. None of them are fancy, but at least they add some color in August.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

In the front garden, most of the daylilies are taking a break. Can only hope for some rebloom later. The Moonbeam coreopsis is reblooming after being cut back a couple weeks ago and but it is the annual salvia that reseeds each year that adds the most color in that area.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

The mum in this corner is just staring to open a few blooms. Mostly annual color here.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

Purple Penstemon & sage

Thumbnail by greenjay
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

deleted.

This message was edited Aug 18, 2006 12:21 PM

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

The buddleia is in a nice combination.

My new york asters are just starting. and I have some heathers that are blooming, but they need another year or 2 before they really look like anything. the black-eyed susans are still holding out well. they have some nice dwarf russian sage behind them that you can't see here.

This message was edited Aug 18, 2006 1:13 PM

Thumbnail by grampapa
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Your Blackeyed Susans are looking great. I found a really nice pot of rudbeckia at the store yesterday and popped it into this area. The Jackamanii clemetis blooms lightly all summer. In front of it is a coppelia Helenium that I should have staked and an Agastashe. The celosia is one I got this last spring that was about 10" and blooming in the pot. I did not expect it to get so tall. It is about 3' now and just starting to rebloom. Cleome always reseed around and bloom at this time too.

Susan

This message was edited Aug 18, 2006 12:20 PM

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

the helenium looks nice like that. not sure you should have staked it :-) I bought a Flammenspiel helenium this week. great color on the celosia.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Thanks, Accually, I do have a stake on the helenium. It was really lying down before. I have another yellow one on the other side of the arbor that is standing up better. Really am finding them a good August plant.

Susan

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Susan,
You have quite a bit of color in your August garden.
Greenjay,
I really like that combination. Beautiful!

(Zone 3b)

Here are some from my garden.

Thumbnail by muddbear
Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Very nice muddbear

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I should be digging a new bed for a batch of coop daylilies , but as I had already done so in the spring UNTIL my DH absconded with the new bed for his pumpkins. So I need to dig another one. I was feeling too lazy to get a round tuit today, so I snapped a few of what is blooming today instead. The camera being much less work than a shovel. I have included a guest shot of a house guest we have from NYC this week, Ms. Twinkles. She likes it better than Central Park! Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

I'd pick the camera over the shovel if I were you, and your garden over C.P. if I were Ms Twinkles. nice, nice collage!! and shame on dh for appropriating your daylily bed ;^(

gram

hope you get lots of pumpkins, though

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

He actually took over a second new bed as well so I've got pumpkins galore! But this fall I am taking one back for a cutting bed. I took one picture of a pumpkin in this collage, it is going to be pretty big by Oct. I do love carving them and he has grown a mess of good pie pumpkins for baking. So I can't really complain. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Renfrew, PA(Zone 5a)

Started a new thread for this..Perennials in the garden setting: Show us your pics: Part ll. 353 posts just takes too long to load for those of us on dialup.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/644028/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.