What are herbs?
(3 votes, 0%)
Red dot

I don't grow any herbs
(73 votes, 11%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Northern California, CA(Zone 9a)

I'm and 'all of the above' herb grower too! i have them everywhere.

Sapello, NM(Zone 5a)

As a virtual neophyte to gardening (this is but my second year being serious about it), I have started the process of finding out just what will and what will not do well here (zone 5a at 8,000'). Oh, I've always had rosemary, but this year I added two mints (chocolate and spear), Italian parsley, cilantro, sage, chives and basil. I've learned a great deal from all the notes you folks have posted here and am looking forward to getting some of this stuff into the pan! Thanks!

Wall Township, NJ(Zone 7a)

i planted an herb garden in a small basket I got with flowers in it for Easter. I basically just planted it to give some greenery to the table over there. From the way it's growing, I might have to separate them and put them all in different containers. Here is a picture of them taken a few weeks back:

Thumbnail by Ptrcmcc6
Wall Township, NJ(Zone 7a)

i forgot to post I have flat leaf parsley, curly leaf parsley, thyme, dill, and 2 different basils (regular and i think it's called cinnamon basil).

Provincetown, MA

I grow for many reasons...wish you'd included a choice of several! Mostly, I use them for cooking but I love the way they work as companions to my vegetables, and love how they look, love how they attract bees and butterflies, and love to nibble on them as a reward for weeding....couldn't live without herbs.

Turlock, CA(Zone 9a)

I love herbs! I do use them for cooking, but I would grow them even if I didn't. I finally got a lemon verbena and a new variegated basil. I love thyme too, have English and French.
Today I received my epazote seeds, sowed some and hope they come up!

Orange County, NY(Zone 5b)

I voted for culinary, but like many others, I grow herbs for various other reasons as well. I have medicinal herbs, aromatherapy herbs and herbs for natural dyes. I haven't used any of the plants in the "dye" garden for this purpose yet, but at the time I was into knitting (turns out I don't really like knitting). Then there is the Rue, which I tuck a bit of everywhere because it is said to ward off evil -- plus it is so pretty. I am not necessarily superstitious, but it can't hurt right LOL!

I voted for culinary uses, but like so many I grow herbs for a multitude of uses. From culinary, to medicinal, for wildlife, for the scent and because they are great. Herbs are the first plants I ever grew back when I was in college living in the tiniest apartment. I couldn't envision my garden without them.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I too voted for culinary use, because my intention is always to cook, cook, cook, but I end up eating out, out, and out, so don't get to use many of them! BUT, I do love to make homemade pesto. I tried growing the purple basil this year, but when I used it in a Caprisi salad the other night, hubby and I both agreed that the leaves were too tough, so it's back to using the green for cooking. The purple do make lovely, bushy plants, however, and they grow like weeds!!! I planted these about 40 days ago as tiiiiny plants, and look at them now.

Thumbnail by Connie_G

Since I now have a real garden, I first planted parsley (our General Store doesn't carry Italian Parsley so I planted that) then I branched out to Basil, European Thyme, Lemon Thyme, Rosemary and Chives. Now I have some Oregano, Marjoram and more Chives ready to go into the pots or terrace garden tomorrow. I love to cook and having a ready supply of herbs really makes things special.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I had someone share a purple basil with me last year and it was a pretty healthy plant. I didn't realize it was a reseeder and this year even with mulch, I have a dozen or so plants, enough to share with others!

Inverness, FL(Zone 9a)

Another "all the above" vote. Some for my culinary user, some for my medicinal use (smoke what????), some for the b&bs, some for companions, some just for the sake of having them. All The Above if is!! Ed

Windham, NY(Zone 4b)

i planted a whole bed of catnip just to keep my cat away from everything else. oregano seems to keep dogs out of my flower beds, so i have that everywhere.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

lol! I figured most people used them for cooking in the kitchen like I do!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

jnana...what does "for wildlife" mean in your post above? Do you actually "invite" critters into your garden to eat?? :)

Connie

LOL Connie, I do in a way. I should have been more specific and just said butterflies. I have all sort of plants that are exclusively to feed the birds, some just for the butterflies and moths and some for other small animals like squirrels. Unfortunately, I also get some uninvited guests like rats. I live in the suburbs, but close to an area that is not very developed, so i have foxes, opposums, snakes, anoles, and iguanas. Luckily, I don't have a lot of hibiscus which are the favorite food of the 4 to 6' long iguanas in the area.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Ah...now I understand. I somehow never equated butterflies with "wildlife" but I see it now! :) Thanks.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Dill, parsley, basil, oregano and thyme for cooking, and lavender and rosemary for cooking and sniffing! I'm hoping to create lavender "jungle" on my veranda, I can't get enough of it! I tried growing catnip, but it turned out to be far too invasive for my liking. For some reason my cats liked to nap on top of it - a catnap on the catnip?

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Aw...the cats "catnapping on the catnip" was too clever! But I can understand why they would like that...don't we like sleeping on lightly-scented sheets...or resting our heads on a lavender seed-filled pillow...or lingering in a candle-scented room? Just one more reason that I love cats!!

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

I also grow herbs for culinary, pets, medicinal and just to have around because they smell sooooo good!! I put heather in our pillow cases and rosemary at times. The cats love the cat nip!
I have basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary, chives, tarragon, parsley, yada yada yada

My husband calls me the crazy plant lady, but he loves having those herbs around when it comes time for dinner!

Sharon

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

This frustrated me. I needed to check three. Culinary use is what I checked, but rue, parsley, fennel are also grown for butterfly larval food plants and basil is also grown as a companion plant for tomatoes, then there's the pineapple sage for hummers... And I grow the purple basil just because I like how it looks in the flower garden.

Las Cruces, NM(Zone 8a)

My reason was not listed... I have grown herbs for years for the simple reason that they are among the very few plants that the deer would not destroy. Thank goodness for smelly plants; without them, those of us living in Bambi Land would not have any green at all. I've since relocated to the desert in New Mexico...so far no deer in my yard...and no herbs either!

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Culinary, companion plants, fragrance, butterfly and hummer attractors... I think most folks grow herbs for multiple reasons.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 9b)

Murmur (apologies if someone else said this, I didn't read the whole thread, it's too late here):
Most herbs do not appreciate good soil or fertilizer... have read that [at least some] culinary herbs taste better grown in poor soil.

JWIW

I have planted herbs and herb-like plants (lavenders, mugwort):
For culinary use
For POTENTIAL medicinal use
For pot pourri or other uses around the home
To attract and feed birds and butterflies

Other than the B&B's and a few lavender wands, the only use that ever seems to happen is the thyme, sage, or oregano (less often rosemary, but that's because I don't cook with it much) that I remember to pluck to cook with, occasionally. So I checked "culinary"...

Was "just because I like them" a choice I missed? I choose the variegated ones (when they exist) for visual interest, and I do love the fragrances.
~'spin!~

Chewelah, WA(Zone 5a)

This message was edited May 28, 2010 5:39 PM

San Jose, CA(Zone 9b)

I primarily grow herbs for culinary use, but I could've marked "All of The Above", had there been that choice. I also noticed that cosmetic use was not listed...Lavender is great in the bath, & Rosemary water is good for the hair.

Erie, PA

I just ordered from BLOSSOM FARMS, found from this site and wanted to rate this company as EXCELLENT! Perfect plants and honest with all descriptions of the plants. When I emailed with questions, Gayle was quick to respond.
Now why I grow herbs: I cook a lot of Italian dishes and prefer to use fresh herbs. I also keep potted plants and dried plants in the house to add a touch of 'the good life' around. I'm in Erie, Pa, and the winters are long and cold. This allows me to use fresh herbs during the the times I can't get to my gardens.
Thanks again, Dave for this fine website! I'm a faithful customer of Blossom Farms for all future garden needs! And this is because of your service to the community through your site!

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

Can' get Greek oregano any other way! Try the flowers in Greek or Italian dishes (a little goes a long way). The flowers dry down well and stay potent too. What's summer iced tea without fresh mint springs? Does lavender count too? I've plants bunches of lavender as natural insect repellant (bees and butterflies are OK, but trying to repel real garden pests here).

Alexandria, VA

I needed an "all of the above category"!

Denton, NC(Zone 7a)

i'd grow more IF i could get them to Grow! i'll work on it. remind me to add soil test kit to my wish list. :)

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I voted for culinary because that is what I use it for the most now-adays. My wife has taken a little more interest in my gardening so I think I might get back into the medicinal side of herbs like I used to be. She seems to want to be healthier and though you get the same effect using over the counter dugs for common cures, It always feels better to cure the old fashion way. besides a tea made from feverfew or the pure oil extract from the plant can kill a migraine(not headache, but MIGRAINE) faster than any over the counter drug. I dare anyone to take the test and find out for you self?

West, TX

I am an all the abovperson myself.

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

ditto.

Middletown, CA

Hi,

I did not vote because I use them for all of the listed choices and the voting menu only lets you select one.

Portland, OR

Like others, I really grow them for most of the reasons. I wouldn't dare do away with my old thyme or Tuscan Blue.......where would my cat nap?

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7b)

I couldn't vote unless you would just let me cross out the last 2.
Also for those of you with problems growing them: crystalspin is absolutely correct in saying herbs don't appreciate good soil or fertilizer.

Chewelah, WA(Zone 5a)

This message was edited May 28, 2010 5:40 PM

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7b)

woofie, It sounds as if I wish I had your problem.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Woofie...I have great sandy loam mixed with all kinds of additives that my hardscape guy placed in raised beds in the back..the area I call my kitchen garden. I bought...oh...about 20 herb plants, including chard, mint, oregano, and lots of red basil. I have it on the sprinkler for 15 min. in the am and same in late afternoon. I climbed up to look the other day and wow...had to drastically trim each so that the little bushes would get light! So...I'm not sure about "don't like good soil." I think that herbs grown anywhere...so long as they get lots of sun and things don't eat them

Here's a pic of the herb area after I took out about 1/2 of each!

Thumbnail by Connie_G

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.