Which cukes are you growing this summer?

Sunnyvale, CA(Zone 9b)

I am growing Tasty Jade and Sweet Success this summer.
I am curious to see what everyone is growing.

tmm

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

I have 5 growing

Lemon
Armenian
Chinese Yellow
Telegraph
Poona Kheera

Mostly Lemon, that is what our family likes the most second is Armenian and the rest i just have a few plants of each to try them out.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Straight Nine, Improved White Spine, Thunder and Big Burpless

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Got some Diva here with vitex...also have oriental slicer going right now too.

Thumbnail by dmj1218
Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

Since we're not having our usual big veggie garden this year, I am very short on space. I'm growing Burpee Spacemaster in containers.

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

Persian Cucumbers

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Miniature White, Lemon-Apple, National Pickling, and Poona Kheera.

Chesapeake Beach, MD

Diva and Tasty Jade. Both very reliable and tasty.

Fairmont, WV(Zone 6a)

Lemon, Telegraph Improved, and Boston Pickling. All new for me!

pam

Central, UT(Zone 5b)

I'm just getting ready to put seed in the ground. I'm only growing lemon and straight eights this year. O.K. maybe some armenian but haven't decided yet. These didn't do very well last year.

There are several varieties here that I've never heard of before. I'd like to hear how they do and how they taste. Chinese yellow, lemon-apple and Tasty jade sound interesting.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I can't find Lemon-Apple listed anywhere, so I'm wondering if the person I got them from named the seeds? Maybe because Lemon is the color and Apple is the shape? I will try to remember to post photos along the way! (God willing they germinate and take off!)

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

Sequee, It sounded interesting so i googled it yesterday. This is what i came up with.

Lemon/Apple Cucumber
This is a pickling cucumber that is equally at home in a salad. Fruits are rounded (3" in diameter) & yellow with crisp, sweet & tender flesh. A prolific producer. (65 days)

http://www.plantsofthesouthwest.com/cgi-bin/plantview.cgi?_recordnum=139

Bloomingdale, NY(Zone 4a)

Olympian. Last year I planted a slicing and a pickling variety. I got one Olympian plant at the nursery. It was the first to bear and grew and produced large fruit right up to frost. It was the only plant that I didn't have to fight powdery mildew. This year I'm planting it as the main crop.

Wayne

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Sounds great! Glad I planted the seeds.

Thank you for checking this out for me!

Brookline, MA(Zone 6a)

Holland and Marketmore 76. Haven't tried the Holland variety before. Had thought about Diva andwill be curious to hear eveyone's results.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Are any of these more of a bush type? I have Bush Cuke seeds for my EB but was looking for other types too.

Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

araness,
the ones I'm growing are- Spacemaster.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Have you grown these before? How's the taste? Are they from Parks and if so do you think they are the same as the Bush?

Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

I grew them for the first time last year and they had a very nice, "cucumbery" flavor. They are from Burpee. I believe I got the seed at Wal-Mart.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/66177/index.html

This message was edited May 11, 2006 2:24 PM

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

thanks for the info Berrygirl..

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

areness - I got mine from Pinetree Seeds. I would be happy to send you a few if you'd like to "try before you buy"!

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

Sequee, i was reading about the miniature white. They sound very promising, and sure look good. I have found that the whites i've grown are bitter. The ones you have aren't supposed to be. I will be very interested in hearing if you actually find them as tasty as they are good looking. I would love to grow them... IF they actually taste good, so please report back. I am already making a bit of a list for next year. Need anything from Baker Creek? (snork)

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

I am growing:

Marketmore
Poinsett 76
Milano Slice
Muncher
Sumter
Sugar Crunch
West Indian Gherkin
National Pickling
Boston Pickling
Snow's Pickling
Lemon Cucumber
French Cornichon
Greensleeves
Cross Country Pickler

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Good night, Kanita! That's a lot of pickles.

I've got Chinese Yellow, Edmonsen (sp?), Delikatesse, Straight Eight, and a local pickling heirloom from a family around here.

This is the year of the cucumber...lol. I have already got a case of 2 qt size jars ready.

kanita

Sunnyvale, CA(Zone 9b)

Maybe you guys can post photos of the cuke plants/cukes! Mine are still very small and haven't started climbing the trellis yet.

I grew Armenian, Diva, and English Telegraph last year and all of them were duds for some reason, so I am hoping I get better harvest from my Sweet Success and Tasty Jade this summer. (And I planted more of them to make sure I get better harvest!)

tmm

Here's a pic of the Sugar Crunch in a pot that I am growing, you can't see the cuke's in this pic under the leaves. I'll post a better one before I cut off the cukes on Saturday.

kanita

Thumbnail by kanita
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I have Tasty Jade, White Wonder, & Sweeter Yet in 5 gallon pots in the greenhouse. Planted seeds of Intimidator & Genuine for slicers in the field. Little Leaf are planted for pickles. This one is hard to beat. Big yield, easy to pick, resists cucumber beetles, & spacesaver to boot.
I really like Tasty Jade in the greenhouse. Buying public come looking for them, even when field grown are in abundance.
Picture is Tasty Jade.
Bernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

Awesome looking tasty jades Bernie!

Sunnyvale, CA(Zone 9b)

Wow, Bernie!
Nice Tasty jade cukes! Beautiful!!
I can't wait for mine! (My plant is only about 1 inch high now...)

Are your Tasty Jade cukes about 8-12 inches long? About 1/2 inch in diameter? Do you have it on a trellis or sprawling?

tmm

Country, how many plants do you have in each 5 gallon pot?

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Those were last year. More like 16" & 1½" across.
Six to a pot, they go up on hog panels, because we got them very cheap! I clip on the first runners, then they do it themselves.
I have drip emitters in each pot, another freebe!
Bernie

Thanks Bernie!

WOW mine arn't even in the ground yet :((((
i have only one Japanese Climbing cuc
My garden lines up with our chain link fence so i use that as my pea and beans and i though hmmm japanese cuc is a climbing vine so it will go with them along the fence.
you have all tempted me to get some more cuc for my garden:)
Do cuc transplant well ? or do yo sow straingt in soil ? I am new and have herd several differnt things , A nursery has some cuc transplant but i though they don't transplant well , so i didn't get any. Any advice for a new cuc gal.
thanks
sue

Sue, I transplant all of mine, but you can direct sow as well for great results.

kanita

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Use a good soil, like Sunshine #1, or the Miricle Grow that Sam's sells. We plant into a tray that has 50 cells in a 1020 flat. The cells are about 1½" Dia. Put 2 seeds to a cell. Let them grow in the cell until they get a good root system. Then they will stay together when you pop them out of the cell. Plant in the soil just a little deeper than in the cells. Water-in well.
Bernie

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

I started four cultivars from seed and both direct seeded and transplanted (at the same time). Made for a bit of a staggered harvest, which helps with fighting pests.

Cool , good to know it can be done
I usually use a bit of Osmocote when transplanting.My dad has sent me over the yrs B12 and i have used it on flowers, great stuff. Havn't used it on veg's ? has anyone used b12 in a liquid form concerntrate, can't find bottle to tell you the brand name, will look for it tomaorrow
i do have a bag of miricle grow leftover
thanks
sue

Sunnyvale, CA(Zone 9b)

How's everyone's Tasty Jade doing? Mine is growing sooo slowly, compared to my Sweet Success.

tmm

Kearny, NJ(Zone 7a)

tmm99: I'm not growing either this year but have grown both in the past. Sweet Success has grown to 12-14 ft. each of the 4 years I grew it so the comparison may not be anything to worry about. Tasty Jade probably grew 8-10 ft. for me. Also the Sweet Success vine has huge leaves which also makes it look like it is out performing other varieties when that may not be the case. Here's a pic I dug up from 2 years ago. The Sweet Success is directly behind the tomato plants on the left. They wound up being trained along the top of my porch wrought iron railing for probably 6 or 7 ft., maybe more. The EB they are in is about 6 ft. below the top of the railing.

Rich

Thumbnail by ritchh

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.