Whos sick of this weather

Concord, CA(Zone 9a)

OK are you as tired of the rain as I am? Today is the first day of spring and its raining and hailing and cold. I am so ready for a little more sunshine. I may have made a mistake and planted some cannas, EE, and such this weekend, I couldn't help myself it was the first nice day that I was home from work. I think the winter blues are about to get me. And on top of that I seem to be invaded with snails and slugs.
OK I feel a little better now.
Linda

Pioneer, CA

Hi Linda, I'm sort of new to this thread, haven't been on Dave's for quite a long time, but I read your comments this morning and just had to add my 2 cents. Man !!!1 I'm tired of this too. As we speak, my brother is out trying to clear the snow and ice from our driveway, had 10 inches More yesterday. This has been the worst winter in 10 years,but I can see a light at the end of the tunnel. Good weather is right around the corner, let the gardening begin!!!! Can't wait.
Jacquie

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

Hi, yes, I'm with you! Today it's not raining as hard as it has been, but it's cold! Very gloomy. I guess if I get active out there, I'll get warm. At least the days are longer - that's a help. Laura

Concord, CA

I also am Tired of this weather around here. It is sooo Wet.
We have had rain it seems for ever.

JLTBAW
you are the only other person on dave's garden that I know of from Concord. We could be neighbors and not know it. I hope this rain around here stops so we can all get started on our gardens. I am looking right now at my raised beds and wondering how long I have to wait until I plant in them.

Mesilla Park, NM

Me too. We got hail also.. finally a thread I can contribute to.. Although, I'll be begging for rain come July, I just know it...

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Sick here too. Celebrated today's sunny weather with a trip to Annie's Annuals and Berkeley Botanical gardens with my Mom, where I just blew this weeks grocery money, well probably next weeks too but hey, I can stand to shed a few pounds and so can DH & DS. They may not agree though. :-)

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh you went without moi??? For shame on you, Sue. So what did you get and is it worth a trip??

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

My succulents sure aren't happy about this weather, believe me. They'll make it but some of them are really worse for the wear.

Generally I'm glad that we'll have water for all of my high maintenance plants though. I shouldn't really be growing swamp plants here but I'm very drawn to them.

Hail though was very uncalled for.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

We had hail too, yesterday. Today was nice. But for every nice day there seems to be 3 bad ones. My backyard is a swamp! Doss, maybe I need a few swamp plants too.

Sorry Kell, it really was spur of the moment! Ok, I will list them so anyone that wants to can check them on Annie's. Funny thing was though, I has a list printed out from a Wish List I had set on Annie's. Only got 2 things on that list but 16 others made it into my cart. Then another 10 from Berkeley. My Mom and I are a bad influence on each other. I would find one, bring her to read the description, we both have to grab one and visa versa. She laughed, she really didn't think she would find much but her cart was full too. Guess it's spring fever hittin'.
List of Annie's purchases (you can see I have a taste for all kinds of different thing)
:
Anthriscus sylvestris 'Raven’s Wing'
Aquilegia formosa "Western Columbine"
Aquilegia yabeana
Coreopsis tinctoria "Calliopsis"
Crassula corymbulosa "Red Pagoda"
Digitalis ferruginea 'Gigantea'
Drosanthemum bicolor "Dew Flower"
Dudleya traskiae "Santa Barbara Liveforever"
Echeveria species
Eryngium tripartitum
Euphorbia characias 'Dwarf'
Euphorbia portlandica 'Dolce Vita'
Fuchsia arborescens
Lobelia tupa
Polemonium pauciflorum 'Silver Leaf'
Veronica longifolia "Long leaf Speedwell"
Veronica spicata "Spiked Speedwell"

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Well shoot Sue, I got all the links for your plants to post but for some reason they won't work. I give up. LOL

You got a great haul though!

This message was edited Mar 23, 2006 12:31 AM

yeah, with Annie's links, it just brings you to the list, not to the individual plant so I gave up trying to list them a long time ago.
oh goody, more rain on the way, just what we needed...sigh.

Visalia, CA(Zone 7a)

yeah, wev'e had alot of rain down here, too. But we'll be so parched by May or June! This weekend should be dry enough to not have to wade through mud to plant a few things, though.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Sue, I don't know where you plant them all!

As far as swamp plants I love Ligularia (Farfugium) in all of it's forms - well almost all, Louisiana Iris and canna. That's about all I can keep after. My only swamp dwellers but I have 5 different kinds of ligularia and lots of LA iris.

I just bought some new cannas from Karchesky and Harris. Need to cover a fence.

Actually even my iris are thriving in spite of all the rain.

I just keep remembering our drought and am thankful, thankful, thankful to tell you the truth.

Doss, I have a BIG pot collection which grows several times a year with each Pottery World Outlet trip. So many things never make it in the ground. They can be tucked in everywhere. And my front lawn gets smaller every year.
I just ordered some banana cannas for the back of the fence, the big guys! Plan to pot a couple too for the patio, love to be surrounded by a lush jungle look. Oh and co-ops are back so be sure to check there and add it to your watch list. Just ordered from the Messenger/Might Plant one, an iris one from Schreiner's will be starting up soon after they update their selection.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/groupbuy/all/

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I can't grow cannas in my yard, they just take over so fast. My DH goes nuts digging them up. How do you both contain them??

I never heard of banana cannaa, Sue. Do they have huge flower heads too??

I am going to order some messenger too. I think that is such a good price even if we have to pay for shipping.

Oh Doss, I was googling your Farfugium and I found the prettiest fountains. Look at the Farfugium Fountain att eh bottom of the page.
http://www.humphreybowden.com/more_fountains.htm

Sue where is Pottery World Outlet ? You have been holding out on me.

oh, you know, I always screw the name up, see, it is the pre-menopausal thing after all! I meant Nor-Cal outlet.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Well shoot, I thought you had a new better find!!

If I find anything new, you've already found it! :-)

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Well, today I am off to 2 new nurseries I had not even heard about before yesterday. The lady who clued me in to going to Half Moon Bay told me her favorite nursery was in Orinda. McDonnells. So I am off soon to check it out. And I found another new one rather close to that one. My heart is already going pitter patter at the thought of a brand new nursery. New ones are hard to come by.

ohhh, keep me informed!
I plan to get off this computer soon and get some pot planting done, it's sunny but the rain is coming again so need to take advantage of it.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Wow! What gorgeous fountains. Now if I just had between $2000 and $5000 to spend plus over seas shipping I'd be in great shape.

Here's Big Dipper Farm where they carry a lot of Ligularia and Farfugium - it's not clear to me how they differ - I thought that they were all supposed to be reclassified as farfugium but Big Dipper has them listed separately.
http://www.bigdipperfarm.com/

They are great foliage plants.

I don't have so much of a problem with the cannas I've grown so far - as long as they aren't next to the lawn. It tried that one time and it was a very bad idea. But like iris and daylilies they do take dividing. Just part of the cost of all the show. I think that I get my money's worth. Only trouble is that when you divide them they get short again for a few years.

Oh my Doss, what a great website that Big Dipper Farm is, I had to bookmark it for later, I am just not able to get off the computer to get outside today!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Big Dipper Farm has great service and wonderful plants too. I could spend a fortune sitting right here!

Today I have to go out and move the ligularia I just planted. I don't know what I was thinking - I guess I thought that bare root would take awhile to get big but these plants are growin like crazy. Clearly they are too close together to live happily ever after.

Northern California, CA(Zone 9a)

Gee, guess what? We're still getting rained on! My new 'build a fence' project turned into a mud fest! Well at least the dogs have their own yard now, they can chew and dig to their heart's delight. (or mud wrestle with all this rain!)

Kell, do tell about the new nurseries you went to, and how come I didn't get a call, man, I'm always up for a good road trip!! especially when a nursery is involved!

Concord, CA(Zone 9a)

I think its rained almost every day in March. Hope April is better.

Kell, how about a list of the local nurseries you go to. You seem to know them all and find lots of interesting plants. Most people think I'm nuts going to nurseries in the rain but it beats staying in the house.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Yep, I'm sick of rain. There's so much to do in the garden and this rain is just going to nourish those pesty weeds I just yanked out of 6 rows last Sunday. Rain tonite and then again on the weekend. When will it end and then April Showers, jeez, enough already! (Boy aren't we spoiled!)

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I have plants coming in the mail and I need it to stop raining so I can do some planting!

And yes, complaining about not being able to plant things in March is spoiled. I do hate planting in the muck though and I know that I shouldn't but I'm weak when it comes to buying plants.

I don't think that you're nuts going to nurseries in the rain jltbaw. It's quiet, peaceful, and generally you have the whole place to yourself and can ask all the questions you want. My idea of plant buying heaven.

And if it's too wet & cold for nursery hopping, there's always online shopping for ideas and sources! I go thru Annie's and update my wish list all the time.

Ya know, come August when it's 114º in Calistoga, I'll probably kick myself for complaining about this rain, but for now, all I want to do is a Spring cleaning project which involves taking half of my 'junk' from my studio outside to organize and toss the 'stuff' I couldn't live with out. (stuff that's so buried that I don't even know what I have! LOL.)

BUT until this rain stops for a day, I sit, here, in my studio up to my eye balls in 'stuff'
Come on sunshine, just one day!!

This message was edited Mar 29, 2006 12:59 PM

Thumbnail by begoniacrazii
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Same as here I'm sick of rain to mow the weeds grass growing crazy up to my knee!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Doss, I am going to try Big Dipper though their feedback as of late made me a bit nervous. I wonder if there is a new owner. Have you ordered lately?

Oh Lali, they were in a different direction from you and were so so. Though I did get a 6 ft Ti plant. LOL.

Much more fun was my trip Saturday to a clivia nursery. My new thrill. I have spent my morning pollinating them. I am in love. We need to go on a road trip back to Watsonville, there were GHs all over, we need to find out which ones will let us in.

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Hey Lali, have you heard of or been to Emerisa Gardens Wholesale Nursery 555 Irwin Lane, Santa Rosa, California, U.S.A.??
I wonder if it is strict wholesale. Sue and I are lusting after a plant there.

Here is a picture that brightened up my gloomy day today. Made me smile.

Thumbnail by Kell
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Aren't the new clivias smashing?? They make the old ones fade away.

I see your point about the feedback on Big Dipper, Kelly.

I wrote ahead of time to make sure that all of my plants were available and they were very helpful. One wouldn't be coming until the following month so I pre-ordered it. That would have changed one negative review. One other was comparing it to Forest Farm and I haven't ordered from Forest Farm so I can't say too much. The plants I bought most recently at Big Dipper weren't available at Forest Farm. I don't know what the problem was with the shipping charge complaint because I thought that it was quite reasonable.

One negative was a damage in shipping problem and there was no mention of a request for resolution. If almost everything came smashed as reported then perhaps it was the shipper's fault?

I put my plants in three weeks ago and all of them are showing new growth. They all came on time and were packed well. Maybe I should be putting this in the watchdog instead!

I'm planning on ordering from Big Dipper again but there are vendors with better numbers certainly.

I'll have to try Forest Farm too and see how it goes!

Edited to say that I am buying some things from Forest Farm but their website is very unfriendly, especially to us in the higher zones as they only include the low hardiness zone and not the upper zone which I find very important. It's also much harder to search than Big Dipper's.

This message was edited Mar 29, 2006 3:12 PM

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I will let you know how I do. I will say I emailed them this AM and had a response within minutes. Then I emailed again with just a comment and she emailed me right back again with a clarification. So that was good!

Where have you seen the new colored clivia, Doss? If you see any neat ones at a nursery please email me, I am on a quest for a PINK one. LOL But I will buy other neat colors too.

Here is the best one I bought the other day.

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Here is cool one I saw at the nursery, but it was not for sale. Some were $1200 for just a pup.

Thumbnail by Kell

Kell, Emerisa used to be very cool. I can't say that I've seen their plants for a while, but I know people who know people and can find out. Should be easy enough for when we do the other nursey/galloping gardener gig.

$1200? for a Clivia? WOW too rich for my blood, I'm still to cheap to fork over any$ for a yellow one, and over the last few years I've seen more and more variegated. Sigh. one day.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Kell, the one I saw was yellow and it was beautiful but I'm sure that it's nothing that you haven't already seen. Those are too beautiful for words! Aren't plant people crazy???? I've been known to pay way too much for a plant but not quite that much! LOL

Turlock, CA(Zone 9a)

I hate to *rain* on the parade folks, but my sod vendor came up to me at work to sell some for my job. I asked him about the rain and he pulled out a 10 day forecast....almost every other day showed rain!!
I can't stand it either, I want to plant my tomatoes and peppers!! I have over 40 seedlings that need to get out from under the lights and into the ground!!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh rain rain go away. I am starting to get rot but just my brugs which is OK. They are like weeds in my yard.

Here is another one I wanted but not for sale. If it were, I would be too poor to buy it anyway.

Thumbnail by Kell

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.