Flowerbed photos

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

gldandrews,
Glad you're not lurking anymore and decided to jump in. Wow! Just beautiful and I love the rock edging. Very nice selection of colors and textures. I really like the stone!
Sherry

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

gldandrews, beautiful gardens! And don't stop there, you've done a lovely job and we'd love to see more :)

Here's a little grouping that's made me happy.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Andrews, NC(Zone 6a)

That's really beautiful. Our gardens are only a couple years old. Had to truck in top soil, & in all so far. When we started the gardens would dig 2 inches and hit solid bed rock, so lots of raised bed gardens.

Thumbnail by gldandrews
Andrews, NC(Zone 6a)

Here's one of my Clematis "Claire De Lune" a week ago.

Thumbnail by gldandrews
Andrews, NC(Zone 6a)

And the same one today!!

Thumbnail by gldandrews
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I love your use of statuary. Gives your gardens an older, established feel.

Wall Township, NJ(Zone 7a)

Wow!! You all have such beautiful pictures of your flowerbeds!! Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures to post just yet because I am really new to this gardening thing and all I have is a blank canvas outside.....lol. I have planted annuals before but with all your pictures of perrenials......I can't wait to go to the nursery tomorrow and start planting. You have all inspired me!! Keep up the beautiful work you all are doing!! I will definitely be watching this thread to see how all the beautiful flowerbeds will be changing in the months to come.

Patty

P.S. Maybe i'll have my son take a picture today of my blank canvas. Then, after I plant, he can take another picture.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

That would be great! Before and after shots are not only fun to see, but they're quite helpful to look back at as the garden developes.

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

You'll be glad you took pictures of the blank canvas. I really regret not doing that when I started out.

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

Amen to that - I just learned the before and after lesson a couple of years ago, and I wish I had a pic of what things looked like when we moved here.

This is the cut-through, looking down along the shade bed. Nothing much yet, but I'll post another pic when it starts to pop.

Thumbnail by sstateham
Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

Another "not so much" pic. This is the back side of the bed along the back. This used to be all ditch lilies - I've been working my way down the bed re-doing sections, thus the short plants on the slope. The short plants in front of the edging are weed dying of round-up poisoning. I'll be extending the bed out into a curve there.

Thumbnail by sstateham
Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

The only thing blooming out there now are a couple of pulmonarias, the magnolia, and the bleeding heart

Thumbnail by sstateham
Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

gldandrews, I love the combos in that 3rd photo, not only the mix of plants but the stones and pebbles, too. That's a great shot.

gemini_sage, your coral tulips and the burgundy of the barberry? have given me a new idea. Thanks!

When I look back at the 6-year old pictures now of what my bare clay hillside looked like when I moved in, I can't even remember it ever looking like that, it's changed so much. Ptrcmc66, get your camera warmed up!

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

sstateham, you posted while I was typing. Beautiful magnolia! Which one is it?

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

I need to look more often, I am away for a half day and wow more lovely gardens. Can't wait until this afternoon.

The blue and white is great in a garden. I am a bit careful about what I put out. My garden in so open to the world I would worry about having things walk away.

The before anc afters are nice to see. thank you.

Seeing all of the beautiful gardens is so exciting, puts a big smile on my face : )

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

mickgene - I'm not sure which magnolia it is. It was here before me.

I love blue and white (and purple). I have a tendancy to buy any plant that will bloom blue. This is pulmonaria Silverado blooming now.

Thumbnail by sstateham
Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

Lovely.

Fairmont, WV(Zone 6a)

WOW, I LOVE all the garden pix, I'm getting lots of ideas! (and only a teeny tiny inferiority complex :) ). Does anyone have any more pictures of gardens against the house? I'm putting in a new mixed bed to replace the nasty foundation planting that came with the house, but I'm new to gardening and despite all of my reading not sure if I'm doing the right thing.

pam

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

I'm in the process of re-doing the planting that runs along our front walk. This is before, and how it earned the name "the dead bed"

Thumbnail by sstateham
Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

And here it is yesterday - The whole thing got dug out, and I replaced a lot of the old soil with a good mix of humus, compost, and a some peat to help it hold moisture. I replanted the hostas - the rest of the plants are on order but not here yet. There will be cobalt blue pots with annuals added in a couple of week. I have the pots, but it's too early to plant them yet.

Thumbnail by sstateham
Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

sstateham & sherry ~~

Thanks for the kind words......I hadn't set this thread to watch, so I missed them till I checked it today!

My handy-man and I were busy, busy these last two sunny days....here are some real "before" pics for ya! As in before there was a garden... :-) About as before as it gets LOL There will be some really neat shots along the way, and in a couple months an actual plan will start to show. I am not putting in any of that yucky green stuff I am so dreadfully allergic to, so this will be a restful series of paths, beds, sitting areas, arches and plants - roses, Japanese Maples, roses, perennials, bulbs, rock garden, also benches, potted plants, a water feature......I am having the time of my life planning it all....and buying it all will be fun too :-) This is my first house that's just mine....bought it a year ago, and the back-yard wasn't rehabable(not a word, but ....), so we killed it, tilled it, and are gonna put in the backyard I have been dreaming of for years as a renter but could never do.....

Thumbnail by jamie68
Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

and the view from the other direction, facing the spot I stood on in first pic.....

Thumbnail by jamie68
Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

.....and the only reason I am including another one is that this is facing the spot where the new gazebo, fire bowl, and water feature will go.....nothing much to see now, but the "after" will be dramatic... :-)

Thumbnail by jamie68
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Jamie, I'm so excited about your great big blank canvas, especially after seeing your lists of new roses. It's all going to look incredible so very soon.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

Hi Zuzu~~

I am a bit intimadated by all that blank, empty space.....but as paths are put in, and beds burmed up, and edging added to give seperation, and dimension, and a patio to give me a staging area.....then I will go plant buying and ordering CRAZY!! Any roses you are able to pick up @ the sale there will have a great home to be planted in!! I have orders planned to several nurseries for plants other than roses, and the local nurseries better get ready.. LOL!! I wish you were here to help me shop, shop, shop!!! I know you would be an awesome nursery-hopping partner!!

I will post many pics as I go....Thanks for popping in with your kind words!!

Jamie

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

If you can wait until July, Jamie, we'll strip all the nurseries in my county bare.

I love your ideas about adding garden furniture, container plantings, water feature, etc. Versatility is so important in landscaping. I know you're going to do a great job.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Such an exciting project Jamie! Can't wait to see pics of the progression. I'd love to see you start a thread on this to document the developement of your new garden. As you're looking for plants for specific spots, you can post a pic and get suggestions. And there may be plants you're considering buying that some of us may have plenty of and can send you; always fun to save a buck!
Have a great time!
Neal

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

phuggins you may want to take your question on over to Garden Design (aka Curb Appeal) it's full of people just waiting to help out with design ideas.

Jamie-what fun, it sounds like you are ready to go. Please post in progress photos.

Pauline

Well........here goes nothing!! I apologize if the pictures are not too clear......they were taken with my son's phone camera. I don't own a digital camera. I forgot to get him to take one yesterday when there was nothing there so this is what it looks like today after I did some planting. I was like a kid in a candy store when I went to the nursury with my sister today.......lol. This is a little bed in front of my house. I had to take it in sections because, as I said, they were taken with my son's camera phone.

Patty

Thumbnail by Ptrcmcc6

Another one:

Thumbnail by Ptrcmcc6

And, another one.....sorry......these are my hanging baskets.

Thumbnail by Ptrcmcc6

And, my other hanging basket.

Thumbnail by Ptrcmcc6

Oh.......I fogot to tell you the flowers I put in there are phlox, coneflowers, tickseed, and a few others I can't remember off the top of my head. Two of which I'll need help identifying as I forgot to put one of those identity sticky things in it when I bought them. I think it's a ground cover which has thick green leaves that look little skinny worms. I will have to take a picture of them and post them in a forum where you identify plants for us beginners.....lol.

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Sherrygirl, I have serious garden envy! It's gorgeous! Tamara

Andrews, NC(Zone 6a)

Good Morning, wouldn't you know it. Three rounds of rock and a dumptruck load of top soil awaits me in the driveway and it's supose to rain most of the weekend. Oh well, that a great excuse, I guess, not to have have to do it . We have a friend come to give us some Ideas on a waterfall with a pond that we hop to start on later in the summer/fall will take lots of before and after pics.

Gary

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

To sherry girl , zuzu , sstateham and glandrews your gardens are all are beyond my green dreams. I will show you something less exceptional, and still quite bare. However, I am enthusiastic always at this time of year for what will come. I'll shoot it again in a couple of weeks. I consider this phase of the growing season as a sort of zen phase. Minimal and tranquil with lots of space to contemplate what will be (hopefully). I just got my first tulips this week! I threw in a couple of interiors of my greenhouse, so I have lots of interior blooms to enjoy now. patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Patti,
Beautiful setting! No matter what I do, I won't have a setting like yours. It's lovely. Can't wait to see more of your place in bloom. And I LOVE your fence. ;o) Keep posting and I'll be watching..................

I just love that everyone is adding to the thread with all their beautiful photos! So great to see everyone's places and how different they all are. A lot of inspiration in here!
Sherry

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Gary,
I must say I am a little envious. I have always wanted a pond with a waterfall, so I will be watching this thread with anticipation of yours! It will be very inspiring to see your work in progress.
Sherry

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Ptrcmcc6,
Great choice of plants. I have several of the same plants in my gardens. ;o) And your flower baskets are lovely. I like the thingie (some kind of shade) over your windows too.

Don't forget to post pics as things mature....... ;o)
Sherry

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

zone5girl,
Thank you for the nice compliment! Do you have any photos of your yard to post? I'd love to see them!
Sherry

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.