Flowerbed photos

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

phuggins (Pam),
I'm trying to think if I have any photos like that. But most of my gardens aren't around the foundation of my home. I wish I could be more help. Maybe you can post a photo of yours and get some suggestions from some of the gardeners posting here.

I'm sure you'll do fine. At least when we make a mistake with perennials, they can and probably will be moved to another spot.

Post away!
Sherry

Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

Northern CA, SF Bay Area, Oakland hills: the last half of the backyard which we started landscaping in October 2004, planted in March 2005, and following are two posts of comparison photos I created back in October 2005.

Thumbnail by jkom51
Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

Here's the second comparison photo, of the front of the bed. I guess I probably should have posted this one first, sorry!

Thumbnail by jkom51
Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

As you can see from the photo comparison, our property slopes quite a bit from front to back. Standing about halfway at the bottom looking upwards towards the street, this is a comparison of January 2003 when we first started landscaping this part of the garden, with May 2005 showing how different it looked once the plants grew up to soften those boring, long straight concrete paths!

Thumbnail by jkom51
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Patti, what an intriguing set of photos. Your house is gorgeous and your greenhouse is beautiful. I hope we'll see a lot more of your pictures.

Jkom, I used to live on Ramona in Oakland and I still miss it. That was the best place I've ever lived as far as gardening's concerned. I think of it every winter when I have to bring all of my tender plants inside. I remember leaving my orchids, Tibouchina, Poinsettia, Bougainvillea, Hibiscus and all the rest outside all year in Oakland without any worries. These days they all have to live in pots and come inside for four or five months on Thanksgiving weekend.

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Hi Guys,
I know this is not our subject matter, but just wanted to post a photo I took about an hour ago of the sky. We are having a nasty wind storm. ;o( But thought this was pretty. Hope you don't mind. Don't mean to change the subject. Guess I shoulda took a before and after 'sky' photo! hehehehe
Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Wow, that's amazing, Sherry. I don't remember ever seeing anything like that.

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

jkmom51, that last pic shows such a luscious, serene-looking garden. I bet it's a wonderful retreat on a hot day.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

I thought I would post some newer pics of my back yard makeover... :-) After 3 very, very busy days, finally some progress. The pics further up in this thread show it just after being tilled under...and then we started on the pathways.....the rock is the first stage, after getting it tamped down, I will be adding natural stone one section at a time (as the budget allows - stone is sooo expensive...LOL!!)

Thumbnail by jamie68
Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

and after adding some plants.....

Thumbnail by jamie68
Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

...with plenty more to be planted.....I will post more in a few days once some plants and mulch are installed, just thought I would post some during pics....between the before and after.. :-)

Hope you all have a great week!!
Jamie

Thumbnail by jamie68
Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

Jamie, I am looking forward to the progress, it looks like you have some great plants to put in.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I have annuals and perennials mixed, so here is a bed of marigolds when I began planting a month ago. Other things are added now, so I'll post again when they have taken off more. I'm now "deadheading" as I've been told by more mature gardeners!

Thumbnail by Connie_G
Pompton Lakes, NJ

MY PERENNIAL GARDEN AS OF SATURDAY...EVERYTHING IS POPPING..THIS IS IT'S SECOND SEASON..I DID ALL THE WORK MYSELF.

Thumbnail by zonesix
Ocean Springs, MS(Zone 9a)

Please excuse the double post...I seem to be having some computer problems.

I didn't know how to delete the photo from this post.

This message was edited May 3, 2006 7:59 PM

Thumbnail by dbibb

I just got back into gardening last year. All of my beds are a work in progress (and if I admit it...they probably always will be :) I have a feeling I will constantly be changing them, moving and adding as time goes by.

Here is the first one.

Excuse the Munchkin.

Thumbnail by dbibb

Here is the second bed.

Thumbnail by dbibb
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

jkom,
Amazing transformations! Great job. Isn't it fun to keep track of all the changes? Your retaining wall looks so nice with all the new plants in it.
Sherry ;o)

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

jamie68,
Great job on the backyard. It's looking great! Keep posting as it all fills in. It will be fabulous. And I know what you mean when you say 'as the budget allows'. But you will be pleasantly surprised to see how fast everything will grow and fill the area in.
Sherry

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

ConnieWebb,
Looks beautiful! I was never one for Marigolds, but am having a change of heart. I see they have many different looks to them now. Or maybe they always have and I just didn't know it. LOL I love the ones you planted there. And it looks like you live in a very pretty neighborhood. Post more as they mature and fill in. I also like to mix annuals and perennials.
Sherry ;o)

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

...and a very cute munchkin :)

I have the same shoes, but if he knew that he probably wouldn't think his were cool anymore, so we can keep that amongst ourselves

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

zonesix,
Just lovely. It's going to be beautiful as time passes. Be sure to post more photos as it progresses! I will be waiting to see them I love your bench too!
Sherry

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

dbibb,
Looks great! I love the colorful foliage. I think we're all changing our gardens as time goes by. You have a very cute 'munchkin'! No excuse not to include him. ;o)
Sherry

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Sherry,

We have a terrible infestation of "pet" deer here where I live, so we have to plant deer resistant things. I always hated marigolds, but the deer seem to hate them too; I guess it's because they stink! :) The verbenas are native to Texas, so the deer don't eat them either. I'm also waiting for a water feature above to be finished to complete the plantings. We found out that the original (fired) contractor was doing everything wrong! We had another company come to give an estimate to fix/complete it, and he kept us on a string for about a month and did not even start! So we're back to finding another contractor. Grrrrr. Someday...it will be finished!
Connie

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

I love these in progress photos.
How do you make the multiple image ones?

Wall Township, NJ(Zone 7a)

dbibb........that plant in the first photo is beautiful. The big red one shaped like a heart with the green edges. What is that called? I see you have it under a tree. Does it like shade?

And that "flower" with the yellow shorts and shirt is absolutely adorable also....: ). What do you call that one? Munchkin....; )?

Sherrygirl......I've been doing a lot of planting this past week. I will have to invest in a disposable digital camera to post pictures of my backyard one of these days (my son's camera phone just doesn't cut it.....lol). It's nothing big or fancy but it's my own little piece of heaven and I can't wait to see what it turns out to look like. This is my first perennial/annual garden and I am soooooo excited!! Heck.......I can't wait until next year when I get to see all my little babies that I planted this year come back again.

Not much going on in the front garden yet. Did make 2 new planter pots to hang over my 2 front banisters. They are doing very well along with the other pots in the yard. I also made myself a little herb garden in the basket I got for Easter from the kids. Don't know how it's going to do but.......hey......isn't gardening about living and learning??

Will post pics soon. Hopefully some of you more experienced gardeners might also be able to help me out with the names of a couple of flowers I purchased. Being new to this, I managed to buy some things without putting a little taggy thing in there so I have no idea of what they are......lol. Ohhh well!! I have faith that one of you people out here will be able to help me out.

Patty

Ptrcmcc6

The red plant with the heart shaped leaves is called a Caladium and thjey definately love the shade.

The flower with the yellow shirt and shorts, it goes by many aliases but his actual scientific name is Taylor.

Dee

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

My perennial border last May

Thumbnail by levilyla

That is absolutely beautiful, levilyla!! I hope mine looks like that someday.

Patty

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

That's lovely, levilya. What is the pink shrub (right of center) and the golden "grasses" near it?

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Levilyla..your border is magnificent!

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

It is fabulous.

Annandale, NJ(Zone 6b)

Levilyla - your border is my dream. I saved the picture. Did you do it all at once or just add more plants each year? HM

Denver, CO(Zone 5a)

Last year I joined a community garden in Denver. The owners of that property recently decided to sell the land (prime piece of real estate). Fortunately we found another garden nearby and began to start over. It's still rather brown in Denver, but the lilacs seem to have ushered in the season. Here's a photo of the plot when we started. Not all the plants were happy about being transplanted on short notice.

Thumbnail by ericprk
Denver, CO(Zone 5a)

Here's the plot earlier this week.

Thumbnail by ericprk
Denver, CO(Zone 5a)

Thought I'd include a picture from last year. I have a lot more photos from last year on Flickr. I'm new here, is it ok to post a link to them?

This message was edited May 7, 2006 12:16 AM

Thumbnail by ericprk
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

herbmox....it was "redone" about 8 years ago because our septic system had to be "redone"...... It really has been just sticking in things I like (no plan) and if you saw it in person you would not think it so grand. Just the angle of the picture and the time of year (May with no weeds yet). I seem to go out and get perennials I "have to have" and just stick them anywhere. Thanks anyway for the compliment. Nancy

Andrews, NC(Zone 6a)

Nancy your border is Grand, Planned or not. Sometimes the best area of the garden aren't planned. I have a area the we call the "disgarden" It's a area were, like you, had bought things I didn't have room for so they had to go somewhere. We healed things in until we could find the perfect spot and turns out the perfect spot is in the disgarden. LOL

Gary

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Ericprk..great plan..I like the curves of the path. Looks like this years garden will be as lush and beautiful as last year's.

It must have been quite a job to move everything.

Welcome to Davesgarden...lots to read about and to see here..and the best friendly people.

I believe it is ok to post a link to your other garden photos..I have seen others do it.

Happy Gardening, This is my Nook garden..we just have spring flowers in bloom here right now.

Cheers,
Carol

Thumbnail by Starzz

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.