Flowerbed photos

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

I definitely agree with Neal, Jamie. I haven't had a lawn since 1991 and have never looked back!

Annandale, NJ(Zone 6b)

I would also be interested in a grass-less back yard. My neighbors get annoyed at the "bio-diversity" of my lawn...but I happen to like dandelions! They look like baby mums to me and are cheerful. I have a lot of lawn....and not lots of energy due to constant chemo...but would like to find a way to convert much of it without breaking the bank or breaking my back. Any suggestions? HM

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

HM, are you familiar with lasagna gardening techniques (basically layering newspaper, cardboard, and organic matter and/or mulch over sod)? I've been experimenting with this idea, since I hope for eventually no lawn, and sod peeling is back breaking. My latest extension to my cottage garden was done this way in Feb/March and so far there's been no maintainance. So far there's just a wisteria I'm trying to train into a small tree, a brug, a spirea, and a bunch of lilies planted in it, but they're all doing well. For mulch I use ground leaves from the forest floor around the yard, as I'm encircled by woods. Some tree trimmers give mulched trimmings away and I know of some DGers that use that. Good luck, Neal

Annandale, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks Neal - I did start to pay attention to the lasagna approach when I saw it mentioned earlier in my travels on this site. I was thinking of creating a bed in August by hosing down the grass...and then putting a thick layer of newspaper and covering it with a soil mixture of potting soil, peat moss and manure and perhaps some sand. Would about 2" of newspaper and about 4" of soil do the trick do you think? The plan would be to "cook" the sod in August/September and leave it to freeze/thaw through the winter hopefully with enough organic matter to get the worms up through it in Feb/March/April. Am I on the right track? Is there a specific forum or links that would give instructions? I was thinking of trying 6'x6' for starters. Thanks. HM

Lakes of the Four Se, IN(Zone 5a)

All these pictures are beautiful. I'll try sending some photos of my flowerbeds. They are not at all fancy.

This message was edited May 11, 2006 10:50 PM

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I really like reading this thread, but it's getting super long. Sherrygirl, do you think you could start a continuation thread??? I'll be watching ;)

Huga

Here are some tulips from 4/18/06: Note the chicken wire to keep the bunnies at bay.

This message was edited May 11, 2006 10:53 PM

Thumbnail by figaro52

Here is a shot of my backyard taken 10/24/05.

Thumbnail by figaro52

Glads from 8/14/05. Note they are enclosed in chicken wire. The rabbits were eating everything in sight because of the severe drought.

Thumbnail by figaro52
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

HM, sounds like you're on the right track. I'm finding the method to be a real worm magnet to, so that's a great sign. If your sod is extra tough, you may want to use cardboard instead of newspaper. For me it kills the tougher grasses and weeds with taproots better. I have had great success using newspaper under my mulch though. It's good for stopping weed seed from coming through; I mostly do this in the veggie garden.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

HM, I have been using this method to start new beds, it is my short method of lasagna gardening. When I use the lasagna method I start the bed in the fall for a new bed the next spring.

Short method: Cut the grass very short, cover it with 5 - 6 layers of newspaper (make sure to overlap the newspaper so the grass can't sneak through), then a 3" layer of soil, compost, farmpost whatever you like to use. I will plant shrubs or roses right away, for perennials or annuals I wait 2 -3 weeks. Mulch.

When I plant I move the mulch and soil away from the spot to plant, cut through the newspaper, cut out the sod, dig the hole put in the plant. After that I tuck the newspaper and soil back around it and I have a new garden bed.

I have started several beds this way and so far it has worked for me.

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

huga,
I agree, the thread is getting quite long. Let me see if I can figure out how to continue it.
Sherry

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

Sherry, just start a new thread with the same name only Cont. and then put a link in this thread for everyone to find the new one.

Annandale, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks folks....you have given me the confidence to start at least one new lasagna bed this fall for the spring. HM

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

Here is the new thread.....Flowerbed photos 2 - a continuation.......

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/601362/

See you all there! :-)

ps....Sherrygirl, hope you don't mind my adding this link to your new thread.....I just thought it might help :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.