H2o2 and Gnats?

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

For hard to remove stickers or labels, use Goo Gone. That is an amazing product. I have to wear a fentanyl pain patch that has to be changed every 3 days. Well when I first started wearing one, we could not get the adhesive off. Nothing would remove it. Not alcohol, scrubbing it with soap, nothing. So a friend suggested the Goo Gone and man does that stuff do the trick. It will remove anything. I don't think it was intended for skin, so my DH just puts a little on his finger and wipes it on the adhesive. Then it comes right off.

All that just to give you guys a tip about Goo Gone. I get pots sometimes that have labels on them that will not come off and I use that. So if you can't remove anything adhesive, use that.

Jesse

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

And a good tip is was Jesse!!! Also the natural pure citrus sprays will removed sticky goo...we used that for shelves back in the day when I worked retail...ugh!!!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

GRRRRR!! My stores are SOOOOO ghetto...can't find "dunks" at Wally World, HD OR Lowes...it's a conspiracy, I tell you!!!

Payson, AZ(Zone 7b)

Chantll, do you have any pool places near you? Or house about any nurseries that specialize in ponds? They might carry them. If not, try ebay!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Becky,
Thank you...guess I'll check ebay...I so hate paying for shipping if I don't have to - LOL!
Chantell

Payson, AZ(Zone 7b)

I agree with you on that for sure.

Chantell-
Email me your snail mail address.

Chicago, IL

This week's progress report: There are definitely a LOT fewer gnats flying around. I only saw one when I went and tapped all my pots (before, disgustingly, several would fly up in a little cloud). So, I'm going to let myself be optimistic about this! I have a couple sticky yellow strips so will put them up and see if they catch anything I haven't noticed, but I think things really seem improved.

The B.t. was called "Knockout Gnats" and was from the gardensalive website. It is about $20 and supposed to be enough for 48 gallons of water. I have just been putting some in the watering can, filling it up with water while shaking, and using it to water all the plants. I'm not sure how the price compares with dunks, esp. since you have to pay shipping, but I didn't know about the dunks before I found this forum, and I was desperate!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Just an FYI guys and gals I'm going to be posting a few common plants for trade sometime tonight. I've got to make room and these were bought on a whim b/c they looked so sad last fall. Others I've had for a bit and again just need to make room. If we're already in the process of a trade please let me know if it's something you're interested in. My interests are just more focused on the unusual aloes/cactis (indoor & outdoor) & fragrant outdoor plants - many of which will make great photography shots. :)

FYI - I learned yesterday that one reason some people may be having trouble finding the yellow sticky traps that are made specifically for fungus gnat control is that Olympic Horticulture has stopped making them. I don't understand why this happened, since it was a great product, but it's apparently true. There are other brands available, but the rival brands are much more expensive for some reason.

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

This is where I got mine. Scroll down to about three-quarters of the way down and you will find them. I was able to go pick them up since this greenhouse is only 30 miles from where I live. I have not used them yet but I'm getting ready to set some out around my plants since I just finished watering everything and they love the wet soil.

Jesse

Plantcrazii -

I think that you meant to post a link.

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm sorry I forgot to post the link. Thanks for letting me know. Here it is: http://www.bluebirdgreenhouse.com/html/supply01.htm

Jesse

Bump for this topic.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Andi - did ya bump it for comic relief or in preparation of colder months which equals fungus knats?

Chantell-
Both maybe? It was coming up in other threads, so I figured I'd save somebody the trouble. The laughs are a bonus.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I was shopping at Costco yesterday and picked up 2 quart bottles of hydrogen peroxide topical solution for the whopping price tag of $1.65...

Does the peroxide method work? (I'm just curious.) I had been rereading the thread to suggest an alternative to someone who can't find dunks, which are what I use.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Walmarts are still carrying the dunks - at least our local one still had them. The peroxide, for me, seemed to be a short term fix and didn't get rid of all of them. I'm wondering what would happen if the top of the soil were misted with the neem oil mixture - would certainly suffocate the larva and the adults...not too sure about the eggs though...need to find my link re Neem

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8b)

dunks rule, I am now using a big g-can for a rail barrel and the dunks really make a difference! Also the grains.

Waterville, VT(Zone 4b)

I tried the peroxide method and I don't think it got rid of more than half of the gnats. I am now a "dunk" convert, and after one application of dunk water it has already made a huge difference.

Waterville, VT(Zone 4b)

I take back what I said about the Dunks. I can no longer see any benefit to them. I think when I thought they were working ,it was only wishful thinking. I've got a six foot Norfolk Island Pine here at work that I must have repotted with soil that was half Gnat eggs. There seem to be hundreds of them. I've been using the Dunks in the watering can method for about a month with no visable difference in their numbers. I'm wondering if Mosquito Dunks lose effectiveness with age, because obviously they seem to work for some people. I'm going to try drenching the plant with Bayer Advanced Tree and Shrub to see what that does to their numbers.

Coweta, OK(Zone 6b)

Only solution for fungus gnats, I have found, is "Knock Out Gnats" from Gardens Alive. Two treatments and they are gone. Drench each plant, then 2 weeks later drench them again. I also use some whitefly traps (those yellow sticky tape cards) laid horizontally on the top of the soil and eradication! At the first sign of one of those flying little nuisances, I drench the plants and lay out those traps. The sooner you get them the better. They do cause damageto the roots of your plants, especially when you have a large infestation.

Waterville, VT(Zone 4b)

I just ordered some, and I only hope this if finally the answer, because I'm really, really, sick of these Gnats!

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8b)

both products use Bacillus thuringiensis. The gnat product is a strain of Bacillus thuringiensis developed specifically for fungus gnats.

BTW the dunks are designed to work over time, I found after last fall that if using the less expensive product for watering I needed to use a granular product. This year however I will be using something specific for gnats indoors and the dunks in my rainbarrel.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I agree, I think the dunks only work if they're sitting in the water constantly, if you add them to the watering can and then water right away, there won't be very much Bt in the water so I'm not surprised it wouldn't work.

I leave the dunks and water the watering can overnight whenever possible. I realize that it may not be possible to take that approach in all cases, but if you can do it, it does seem to work well.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Erin - where do you find the "grains" at?

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8b)

my local nursery center sells a form of mosquito/gnat control that is more like grape-nut size than the cylindrical dunks. I'll check the name and post in the morning.

Newfield, NY

is anybody have problem with the Funfus Gnat today.i would like to know more on the peroxide recipe?

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Looks like it's been awhile since anyone posted here but I would like to say I have used H2O2 it helps the growth of plants but I have never had it help with any bugs but I did buy something that has worked good for me for Gnats, and Spider mites it is a powder I bought from Wal-Mart.It is called Systemic Houseplant Insect Control, when replanting, or just planting sprinkle the powder around the roots, if planting seeds sprinkle on top of dirt and lightly mix in, when you water the plants/seeds the roots take in the water and the powder is absorbed into the plant, the bugs certainly do not like that, this is my third year using it, believe it or not earlier this year I forgot to do that and yep I had gnats, didn't take me long to remember.
Good luck.

Doris

San Angelo, TX(Zone 7b)

I just noticed gnats in my mother of thousand plant. They aren't in any of the plants near it-yet.
Should I try the peroxide? 4 oz to 1 gallon of water?
Thanks, Elizabeth

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

H2O2 will not kill gnats, but it does make your plants grow stronger.

San Angelo, TX(Zone 7b)

How much H2O2 and how much water?

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

IF H2O2 makes your plants grow stronger, you need to take a close look at your soil because it's too water retentive. Since H2O2 is an unstable molecule, it breaks down easily. When it does, a single O- atom and a molecule of water is released. This O- atom is extremely reactive and will quickly attach itself to either another O- atom forming stable O2, or attack the nearest organic molecule. The only thing in this reaction that could make your plants grow with better vitality is the extra O2, and if that O2 does make a difference, your soil was inappropriate.

IMO, you can't say that it WILL make your plants grow stronger unless you already KNOW the soil is inappropriately water-retentive; and then, it's much better to remedy the poor soil than to attempt to use H2O2 in a stopgap application.

Since the O- radical produced as H2O2 degrades is an extremely reactive oxidant, it is capable of destroying any organic molecule it reacts with, so to that degree, it is capable of killing any living cells, including those of gnats.

If you feel you NEED to use H2O2, mix (using an over-the-counter 3% solution) 2 tbsp/qt or 1/2 cup/gal.

Al

San Angelo, TX(Zone 7b)

Thanks, I think I'll try it, can't hurt right?!

Newfield, NY

well i tried the h202 on the bugs and it didnt work.so now what do i do???

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

I have been reading your posts and I can tell you from my experience H2O2 does NOT kill gnats but it is good for your plants. what does kill them is some stuff I purchased from Wal-Mart a couple of years ago, Systemic HOUSEPLANT Insect control, if your plants are already potted. Put the powder on top of soil, then mix it in, and water, for plants you are now planting put the powder around the roots of the plant, after completed potting water well, The water carries the powder through the roots of the plant , this in turn kills the Gnats,Aphids,Scale and Spider mites when they feed on your plants. most of your Gnats comes from the larve eggs they lay in the soil, so adding some sand on the top is a help also.

doris

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

I didn't say it was an effective insecticide or suggest that it be used as such. I said, ".... is an extremely reactive oxidant, capable of destroying any organic molecule it reacts with, so to that degree, it is capable of killing any living cells, including those of gnats.

I think the explanation I gave illustrates clearly that if you DO see a benefit when you use H2O2 in your irrigation water, it's because the soil you're using does not provide sufficient gas exchange. While it may be somewhat helpful as a short term remedy for that unfortunate condition, you have larger issues to contend with (a soil that holds too much water) if you find it actually helps. If your soil is appropriate and gas exchange is not an issue, supplying H2O2 to the rhizosphere is superfluous.

Al

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.