H2o2 and Gnats?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Jesse,
Thank you...I would love to know what cocktail does the trick. BTW what is VF-11?
Chantell

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

VF-11 is a type of plant food that lots of people on the african violet forum use on their AVs. It has really made a big difference on mine. I was given a number to call for my free sample. I have used most of my free sample and now I need to order some. Some other people on the AV forum can explain it better.

Jesse

Payson, AZ(Zone 7b)

Jesse, Was this the site you got it from? http://www.vf-11plantfood.com/

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes, that is exactly what I am using. And it works great.

Jesse

The easiest and cheapest method (over time) that I've found is the use of mosquito dunks in the watering can. They are sold in packages for about $15 but that's enough for years. Get them in any place with pool supplies. Put half of one (or a piece big enough not to pour out) in your watering can, and leave it there. I try to leave water in overnight at least, and that's it. No more fungus gnats.

West Warwick, RI(Zone 6b)

*Dena will be buying mosquito dunks*

Dena -

If you've got a severe infestation and want instant relief, get the yellow traps and use them on every single plant. The dunks prevent them from hatching at all by killing the eggs, but traps stop the ones that are already alive.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Andi,
Have you used those dunks on all types of plants i.e. houseplants, succulents etc.? No problems?

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Well I added hydrogen peroxide to my water and watered all of my plants very well and I still saw a dang fungus gnat today. I am getting so sick of those little evil pests. Where can I find the little yellow sticky traps?

Jesse

Thank you Andi, will do.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Jesse,
You can get them at Walmart, HD, or Lowes. Walmart - they're next to the indoor bug killer sprays in the cleaning supplies aisle.

I understand you can make the sticky traps using yellow cards and vaseline
(to lazy to look up spelling sorry if I fudged it up)

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

I went to HD a few minutes ago and they did not have any. I guess I will look at Walmart the next time I go.

Jesse

Chantell -
I have used the dunks on all of my indoor plants and the outdoor ones that I water by hand. I have never had a problem. This includes a mix of bulbs, general houseplants, and succulents. I just put half of one in each watering can, which holds more than a gallon, and leave it there until it breaks up and pours out without my noticing. I put water in the night before I use it. I buy them at HD, and I buy the yellow traps on the popular auction site, where I probably pay more than I should. I think the Ace site sells them too. I've never been able to find sticky traps in a local store.

This message was edited Mar 25, 2006 3:13 PM

One other thing: When you buy the yellow traps, don't use the pointer or stick that they come with to stand them upwards, even if that's what the instructions advise. Lay them flat so that the outer egde leans on the rim of the pot, and the surface is just laying above the soil. You get better results that way, even if you have to give it a tug to remove it because it sticks to the pot.

This message was edited Mar 25, 2006 3:27 PM

I see that someone has mentioned Bacillus thuringensis. I think that's the stuff that the dunks are made out of, but I haven't checked the package.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Andi,
The sticky traps you're referring to are at your walmart store but they're not yellow - just "sticky traps" Again look what Wamart (I was in mgmt there years ago) refers to as the "chemicals dept." Should be on the opposite isle as detergent etc. Look for the "Raid" bug spray cans and such...they are there beside those. I think less then $2 for 4 in the pkg. They advertise for bug, snake, and/or rodent use. Thanks for the head's up for the dunks at HD - I have to go by there tomorrow anyway. :)
Chantell

Chicago, IL

Wow - that's interesting! Never having had a pool or fountain, I had no idea what "dunks" were. I just Googled and, in fact, they are B.t. but in a more sustained-release form. I've only just finished my second application of B.t. and have seen a few adults still, but seemingly less than before. I guess the life cycle of the gnats is a few weeks so it might take another couple weeks or so. Sounds like the dunks might be cheaper - great info!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Andi,
Went by HD and all they have is that "shock" stuff. Is the item you're using actually call "Dunks?"
Thanks,
Chantell

The product I've got is called "Mosquito Dunks." At my HD it hangs on a shelf where the pool and patio stuff is. Here is a link to the item at Merrifield. I have the same brand.

http://search.merrifieldgardencenter.com/search.php?keyword=mosquito%20dunk

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

That helps alot, Andi!

I think I've actually seen them before.....check your local hardware stores....I'm pretty sure that's where I've seen them.

The hardware store also had (very small) yellow sticky traps, and the price was *outrageous*!!!

I got mine from Park Seed....I bought this 'collection'.
http://www.parkseed.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?storeId=10101&catalogId=10101&langId=-1&mainPage=prod2working&ItemId=96059&PrevMainPage=advsearchresults&scChannel=Supplies%20Gifts%20AS&SearchText=p16.v222;p10.v77&OfferCode=S1H

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Excellent...thanks for the "dunk" links...now I know what I'm looking for...cuz those critters didn't care about the peroxcide or sand...I'm still dealing w/them. Personally I wouldn't get the sticky traps any where but Wally World if you have one unless you paid less then $2 including s/h. I'm cheap...can't help it!!!

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

I've been to 3 or 4 different WM's and the nearest HD (about 65 miles) and neither of them have ever carried the sticky traps, so I was happy to find the nice assortment from Park's Seed.

I was glad to see the photos of the 'dunks'.....a picture speaks a thousand words!!
And I've actually seen them before so will have to go back and check....thanks for the info and link, Andi!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Nan,
Come on now...ask and ye shall receive. When you need more or just want to stock up. Send me off a money order and I'll pick you up a bunch. I'm not sure if my Walmart carries them year round or not...but I can check the price when I go tonight to give you a definate amount. They could be sent in bubble manila envelopes, I would think...cheap postage. I just wouldn't do it when it gets real warm...might have a gooey mess when you open it...LOL

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Well, that would be great, Chantell, thanks for offering!

I agree about the 'gooey mess' if sending when warm......they're bad enough as it is!

I've heard of some people who buy the 'gooey stuff' and re-use their sticky traps....you take off the old goo and gnats (ewwwww!!) with vegetable oil........that's sensible....but a li'l bit more ick than I'm willing to deal with.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Oh...can I just *gag* say NO thank you!!! I'm not that cheap!
Disclaimer: No offense meant to anyone who does/did that.

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

I have had the same problem. I can't find them anywhere. I've looked at two Walmarts and HD so far. I think I will go by Lowes today and see if they have them.

Jesse

Payson, AZ(Zone 7b)

I agree w/ Chantell. I was way to cheap to buy the yellow sticky traps at the nursery, so I bought the bug pest glue traps. I got mine at Walmart and they have a picture of a rat and snake on them. Pretty gross when you think of using it for them but Gnats deserve a brutle death. hahhaa. I think I only paid like $3 for 3 big pieces of it. I think the grocery stores even sell them so you could check there to. It's right next to the Raid and other pest sprays. It was also near the mouse traps.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Becky,
Yepper - them be it!!!

Ok...to all of you that can't find them....I will be more then happy to pick them up and mail them to you....I just ask you send $$ for product, bubble manila envelope and postage first w/a return address label for you. Let me know and I'll be happy to get them out within 24 hrs of receiving $$. Straight and to the point eh?

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Oh, *that's* what you're talking about!

Our WM does have those, but they are no where near as effective as the yellow ones, IMHO (I did use those last year)....the yellow really does seem to help 'attract' the gnats.

They're most definitely inexpensive though, and they do certainly get some gnats (among other things!).

I have always used the yellow traps, to great effect. And I also thought that the yellowness was key. I have never used the blue or other items. In fact, I was worried that we were talking about those glue traps that you get for mice. I have used them for mice, and the results were effective but too disgusting to describe. Chantell, can you give a brand name or photo? I have never seen them at the Fairfax Pkwy WM location.

This message was edited Mar 29, 2006 12:01 PM

This message was edited Mar 29, 2006 12:02 PM

This message was edited Mar 29, 2006 12:03 PM

Went back to HD today and they still have the dunks, but moved to the edge of the garden center, and still don't carry the sticky traps in either garden or pest.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Andi,
I threw my box away but need more - grrrr! Yes, this is the type that's used for mice, snakes and bugs...it's not yellow but more a creme or off white. You all are right about the yellow...I've heard the same thing about the color attracting them. Guess you could always break out a yellow highlighter and go back to the days of coloring...LOL I will take a pic of one when I pick some up in the next 2 days.

Payson, AZ(Zone 7b)

andidandi,
If you do a Google search under the images tab for glue traps you'll see several different brands. Heres and example:
If you have any yellow colored cardboard or paper, you can staple it to the nonsticky side of the square youve cut out and that will help attract them.

This message was edited Mar 30, 2006 5:43 AM

This message was edited Mar 30, 2006 5:43 AM

Thumbnail by lovethydog
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Becky,
Excellent idea!! Didn't like my suggestion of coloring eh? LOL Just teasin' you - ya know?!!
Tomorrow...TGIF AND up to 70's here...I am SO going to get some of these plants outdoors. Took me 20 min this AM...whew...late to work. "Ummm, sorry boss....was moving my plants to the sunshine" LOL Yeah that'll work!!
Chantell

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I've ordered from these two companies before.

http://store.arbico-organics.com/fungus-gnats.html
http://homeharvest.com/greenhousecontrols.htm

I also found this site, although I have never ordered from them.
http://www.gardensalive.com/product.asp?pn=1962&bhcd2=1143739151

lovethydog -
I've seen those in stores, and they don't seem to be the same thing as the yellow traps that I usually buy. In fact, I would have passed them up if I had found them while looking for the sticky traps. The things I usually get are paper-thin, and you have to pull a plastic coating off of them. Does this variety work well for fungus gnats? I've seen the type you posted at dollar stores quite often.

This message was edited Mar 30, 2006 4:24 PM

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

andidandi, I am with you on that. I've seen the ones that are used to catch mice but I've not seen the ones made just for bugs and insects. I wonder if they both work the same way.

Jesse

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

andi,
What you're describing is just like the ones at Wally World except the color. Very thin cardboard like w/a sheet you peel off. I'll try to remember to take one of the kids digitals w/me tonight and take a pic

Payson, AZ(Zone 7b)

Yes, they do work. You just have to take an old pair of sissors and cut the size you want for the plant. I stuck the squares I cut onto an unfolded paperclip to hold it in the soil. Granted, the yellow ones probably do work slightly better due to the color, but me and Chantell are just way to cheap to buy them. I would definetly coat the top of the soil with the sand as mentioned before as the Gnats hate that. Its the same idea as the yellow traps but these have a thicker coating on them which seems to hold alot more gnats. Give it a try, if you dont like it, well then your only out $3.00. Just remember to use old sissors cause the sticky goo is very hard to get off.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.