Welcome to the Southwest Gardening discussion forum!

Lucerne Valley, CA(Zone 8a)

Hey, deserteden!
I'm pretty new around here myself and these people are great!! I've already learned so much and it's great being able to share gardening experience, advice, questions. Have fun!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! Would love to join you for the RU if someone can provide me with the particulars - I may even be able to find a few seeds or something for the trade table. Do people want sophora secundiflora seeds - Texas Mt. Laurel? Or Texas olive/anacahuita/cordia boissieri?

Mesa, AZ

Hiya Desertden! We love lurkers who finally join in and 'speak' up! I am also one of those rare birds, " a native"! *grin* Don't be intimidated, these folks are all very nice and friendly, even if you never meet them all in person. They can tell you what they have killed, what survived and congratulate you when you have successes, sympathize when you have failures. Teach you the right names for plants, (and then teach you again and again, as this info never seems to stick in my sieve like brain!) very patiently.

Don't worry if you haven't much to share at the RU, seeds are wonderful and the last one had TOO many plants to share, so come and help us share the wealth. This will ensure at the next RU, you will have plants/seeds that you want to get rid of,,,, ummm share, yeah, share!!!

The particulars for the RU are on a couple other threads, the location/address and such will be emailed as we get closer to the date.

Welcome!
Susie

Sam- maybe you are are 'normal'..... >evil laughter< I am like Awanda (and many others) whacky, usually because of our addiction to plants of all sorts.
Mantra: I am a plantaholic, I am a plantaholic......put a pot of coffee on.

PS- the 'hates oleanders' will garner you quite a few friends.....quickly.... Oh Pagancat.... kitty kitty kitty....

Welcome!
Susie
running outside quickly to avoid trouble...

Phoenix, AZ

Now Susie, I never claimed to be normal. Just said some of us "border on normal." It is a big, wide border. sam

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Thanks BL Susie -
BTW, I also hail from the hinterlands of "normal" - the danger in meeting people face to face is that they may be whacked out by my sometimes offbeat sense of humor - but I guess that comes thru on line also. Y'all seem like a real fun crowd!

Mesa, AZ

Ok Sam, I re-read you post and am glad you aren't claiming..... normalcy! (we ALL know better...*wink*)
The big wide border is a true statement! :>)

Susie

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Yeah, I can't think of what demographic this group hasn't hit (some of us are a demographic all on our own!) but the one thing we all love, adore, worry and fuss over, feed, starve, try to ignore, obsess over, and most of all spend wwwaaaaayyyy too much money on, is our plants. Oh, and the differences don't stop there - some of us love plumies, some of are cactus huggers, some petunia heads (that one's for you!),citrus, succulents, hoyas, wildflowers- but I can't tell you what I've learned about stuff that I had never known about before by talking with these folks. It's community that we all create.

So just in case anyone feels that they have nothing to share - pshaw! Jump in! Throw in the occasional LOL, movie review, "I heard from my sister-in-law's neighbor that you can't....." - it's all good. And if you need someone to help you make a decision on whether or not to buy that _____ that you just can't stop lusting over, hey, let us know! We'll give you the perfect excuse that your spouse can't argue with.....

And I still think oleanders are one of the larger pains in the behind that I can think of!

>pagancat, still telling as she sees it, right or wrong...< but sometimes right.... and sometimes wrong...and sometimes DEAD wrong.....8*)

Casa Grande, AZ

jan w here thanks to azreno

Phoenix, AZ

Hi Jan! Welcome to our little group. Hope you can make it to the Roundup 3/19. sam

Phoenix, AZ

Hey Jan! Welcome to Daves! Was it getting lonely "over there"?

Fish_knees aka gardentrolip :)

Awwww! I'm so sad I can't go to the RU!!! What fun that would be. Still, I don't think the tires on our old truck are up to the drive. And I have about a million Yucca hesperianea (sp??)seeds and some desert bird of paradise...and it would just be so much fun. I indulged my obsession a bit 2 darn days in a row! First at Wallyworld with a bareroot Chinese Wisteria and 20 strawberries, and today at Home Depot (I deserved something...afterall, the Girlyboi got a new saw and framers belt....Seeds! Those nice bulk packs they have there. I got calif Poppies, purple and white alyssum, gazania, and Morning Glories. Who has MG's that reseed themselves, and how hot/cold are your winters, if so??? And do you all think it's too late to wintersow the poppies? It's still pretty cold here, and I don't think we're gonna have last frost for another couple of weeks....

Hey, wonder why our times are so far off?

Phoenix, AZ

DW, Time is correct for me :)

Cochise, AZ(Zone 8b)

I have no idea how they got started (the MGs) at my house but they do reseed.

Yeah, the MGs at my sisters house in Albuquerque used to reseed - and I wanna say that was zone 5? 6?

Fishknees, it says it was 2:49 AM when you posted!! Night owl, huh?? I't only 8p here....maybe I better check my info page/settings/thingy...
And GrammysG, do you mulch or water the MG's? When I lived in Pomona, they's pretty much do their own thing, but we've been pretty dry here, this year, and in summer.....

Okay, time test.

*sorry everybody. I fixed my own time and that fixed everybody's* Oops!

This message was edited Mar 3, 2006 8:08 PM

Cochise, AZ(Zone 8b)

They grow up into a pecan tree in the front yard, a mesquite tree in the side yard and all over the fence aroung new plum trees and summer squash bed. I water the yard and squash area but the mesquite only get "run off" from yard water. I give in a little drink in just if the MGs look wilted.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Welcome Jan! And everyone else, too!

Cottonwood, AZ(Zone 7b)

Glad to see Az has a forum. Anyone from around Cottonwood? I live down by the river and it is still 20 degrees at night so much different than Phoenix where I used to live and gardening is a lot different too. I want to plant some herbs this year. Anyone doing them and can you give me any advise? I try to check the boards every morning before going to work. Hope to hear from someone soon. Roadrunner where the heck is Herferd, Az???

Crossville, TN

Hereford is smack dab between Sierra Vista and Bisbee...I am in the valley (4500 ft), surrounded by mountains at 6500 to 7000 ft. We are usually about 10 ° cooler than Tucson....and much less traffic....LOL

desert-witch...are your desert bird of paradise the same as Mexican (red) BP? I would love some seeds...the yellow ones are earier grown here...but some do have the red/orange ones.

I have a few Star of Yelta MG's and they reseed...can we trade?

I have the yellow ones, too...I'll be happy to send some. In fact, this time of year, I might be able to dig a tiny baby, before it establishes it's deep taproot. Let me know! There are some red growing along a freeway onramp about 25 miles from here. I've been planning to gather seed, and when I do, I'll keep you in mind!!

Crossville, TN

Thank you so much! Send me your address and I will send you some Blue MG...Star of Yelta. ....would you like some gourd seeds too? Jo

Cottonwood, AZ(Zone 7b)

Roadrunner thanks for the geography lesson. Now I know where you are. Cottonwood is much the same as you. We are 3500 surrounded by mountains 55 00 or so..I mis-spoke when I said AZ forum as I see people from California, Nevada and Texas but we all have about the same type of climate don't we? Cottonwood is about 10 degrees cooler than Phoenix but still gets plenty hot during the day but cools off at night even in the summer. I have 23 rose bushes, three pomagranate trees (spelled right?) several lilac bushes, two dwarf peach trees, honeysuckle and a variety of flowers and one black rasberry bush that is doing great. I am an oldie, 71 years old and going strong. My son and grandsons do the heavy work that I cant but I still do most of the gardening. I am pretty new to it so will be asking a lot of questions and hope you all will be able to help me from time to time. You sound like a good bunch and I am glad I found this forum..

Crossville, TN

Robinredthumb...I lOVE that name...I think I should be Jopurplethumb!! White thumb denotes someone that is good in the bakery department...not me again! I think my biggest talent would be reading!!

*psst.*...I was 71 in September....and still going...if anyone says "let's go"...thus the name roadrunner...I picked that name even when we lived in FL.

Jo

Older women ROCK. This cult of youth is just plain BS - I prefer those who tell it like it is and have a sense of what is really important. Something that I'm only starting to learn at 42.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

And I'm 55 and barely starting to hit my stride! I've been around long enough to learn to respect the wisdom of my elders.

Crossville, TN

I belong to Freecycle on the internet...for those not familiar with it...we give things we no longer need or want to other members...so...I just got a nice camper that fits in the back of an 8' pick up bed...so now I'm gonna have to find an old man with an 8'bed TRUCK!!! Maybe I'll just leave it sit in the back area and when I get mad at my dog I can go in there and POUT! LOL Jo

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Speaking of 'more mature' women...
I have a 91 year old friend who lives alone and considers my 68 year old self just a baby. I go see her as often as possible just to put things in perspective lol...
It's all how you look at it!!!!
Sharon, the sweet young thing....

Phoenix, AZ

Hi everyone...I posted to a thread and then I saw this one, so I figured I'd better introduce myself & thank Lynn for sending me this great link! My name is Kim, I'm in my 30's, and I LOVE gardening. I was born in Arizona, so I've contended with our interesting growing conditions since my first little garden at age 3. My passion is growing things that don't usually want to grow here....and I've tried to fill my yard with a variety of plants. I do seasonal vegetable gardens, herbs, roses, ponds, tropicals....you name it, lol. I'm also an ACNP. Ok...that's about it for now...

I look forward to garden-chatting with you all! ~Kim

Welcome, Kim! Glad you're joining us.

Now, the hints were: Lynn, Ponds and the 'P' in ACNP.

But I still don't get it. What's an ACNP?

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Well I'm Lynn, and I know Kim and I both have ponds.....but for the life I can't remember what Kim does...and I've lost her homepage, it was an interesting one, too. But I'm going to buy a "nurse" for $500 Pat (Sajak).

:-) Lynn

Phoenix, AZ

Certified nurse practitioner?

Hi Kim, glad your here! Berridges is my down fall. Them and their darn animal topiaries!

I have ponds too :)

I have pond dreams....
;-)

Anza, CA

What? Am I here?

Someplace in the between spaces of SoCal. Guess I'll say "HI!" and slip back to plant mode (i.e. veggin').

bahB

Cottonwood, AZ(Zone 7b)

Roadrunner where did you get the Morning Glory seeds? I had some pop up in my vegetable garden and really took over so I tried to buy some at Wal Mart where I work and was told that I couldn't buy them because they are illegal in Arizona because they take over everything! They are beautiful but I gave up trying to get them after that.
GothicGarden what kind of herbs are you growing? I want to plant some this year but don't know which are best to grow in our climate. We got some rain last night. Not a lot but at least it was something. I am getting anxious to start planting. Want to plant grapes this year also. Anyone know what the best varieties are for our climate? Can use all the advise I can get.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Robin, I will have a few mixed mglory seeds at the swap.

Crossville, TN

Robinredthumb....I saved the seeds from the 2 wild MG's...and someone sent me the Star of Yelta and my DD and I grew them...I saved seeds from them too. Sorry if they are illegal....but where I live we see a lot of "illegals" coming through everyday....LOL Jo

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Jo...if you have extra 'Star of Yelta' seeds, I would love some.
Are you coming to the Swap???
Sharon

Thumbnail by 2manyplants
Crossville, TN

Sharon...O'm coming "if the Lord's willing and the creeks don't rise"...and there's not much chance of the creek's rising here, is there....?

I will bring you a packet of the Star of Yelta...Jo

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.