Starting over...I *bought the farm*!

Ewing, KY(Zone 6a)

Chele I was thinking the same thing as I was looking at Sues pictures. You could combine your 2 houses to be like hers. You have the same taste as well. It will be beautiful when you get it all like you want it.

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

That's it I am going red in the kitchen/dining room!

Ha! What 'budget' ? We refinanced the house and by him doing the work, saved a ton. We also tackeled the remodeling one room at a time as we could afford it. The bathroom granite counter was left over from the kitchen. Still have son's room to do, just paint and new window but he lives in a sweatsock smelling cave that I keep the door shut to and I just pretend the room isn't there.

Bathroom, still need to finish out door trim as seen in the mirror. Man, that counter is nice and un-used looking, not anymore!
Oh and the walls are the Behr Venetian plaster product from HD, I wanted the olivey green for a gardeny feel. We have a bright mustard yellow plastered front bath.

This message was edited Sep 18, 2005 11:21 AM

This message was edited Sep 18, 2005 11:23 AM

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Sue, love your kitchen and bath, they are beautiful.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Sue, that bathroom is wonderful! I'd like to do that Venetian plaster in our bathroom. My friend told me you can use joint compound for this, too.

WoW Chele! Beautiful! and ummm....I've been to your house too. and yep, looks just like CS's. Child, you are so wearing me out with all your energy. I'd offer you Hank's bobcat but he blew a hydraulic line today. Arrgghh! Never a dull moment, eh?

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Hey can I get in the "Red" club too?

Red DR at my old house...

Thumbnail by darius
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

OH Sue! That bathroom is beautiful! My door is still not trimmed either. That is what hubby was working on last year when he ran his hand through the table saw. He hasn't used that saw so much since then. I guess he likes the other 8 1/2 digits! LOL What is your excuse? :) Talk about differences-I bet your house sells for close to half a mil when finished and I bet mine only sells for about $135. Gotta love California when selling and Ohio when buying. hahahaha

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

Chele...I think 1/2 million would be on the low side for Sues house out here in CA!!

What do you think Sue?

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Lovely Darius! Nice to see you!

Hey, if everybody at DG has a red kitchen, maybe I better pick another color. LOL Maybe we need a DG poll to see what color everyone has in their kitchens?

I did get out and get a bunch more plants dug from around my pond. I have nearly filled all the space back in with potted plants. The pond is ten foot across with a four foot wide bed all the way around. I have about 1/3 of the way to go. Maddie has reacher her limit for the day and I have to start dinner in an hour.

Wouldn't you know the realtor's moving truck is busy until next week? Figures! They put my name in for next week, like the 26th. Someone is bringing it back tomorrow night then another is taking it out Tuesday for a week. Sigh...

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Geesh Margie! I thought I was being liberal. :) Oh, I remember I still owe you hibiscus too. I haven't gotten to that part of the yard. LOL

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Chele,

No No! you can't change your mind. I have a couple real good ideas. I'll be sending some color strips for you to see, soon as I can get over to the paint store early this week.

Molly
:^)))

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL Okay Molly. I will try to behave. I saw a show where they did the kitchen red, the cabinets cream and the back splash was tiled in four different colors of glass tile. They also put in an upholstered booth. I told hubby it was exactly what I had been thinking!

Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

LOLOLOL Do I get to join the red club. My dining room is the same colour as Jazzpunkin have, have no photo yet but can get it. the kitchen is not done yet, going to do it this winter.
Janett

Chele,

You mentioned stripping the cabinets. I kept that in mind when I was looking over the colors etc. What is the existing backsplash made of? I think it has to go, maybe.
Not a lot of painting space on the sink side of the kitchen, but we need to work that red in there somewhere. Have I ever seen any pictures of your house now which show where you decorating preferences are?

That booth will be all across the empty wall to the left of the sink and counter area. You'll need the seating area for the girls.

It's a great idea

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL Janett. Not you too???

Molly, between the sink and walls there is white tile. A random tile here and there has a gold fruit on it. Lucky me! I am thinking when I replace it, to do it in mixed colored tiles or maybe a rope border or something through it. I like the look of Sue's tile above, the washed/tumbled tiles and/or the color of the wood on the cabinets. I like the old Euro style but don't know if it would go with the style of the house?

The booth will most likely be L shaped. I am thinking it will go on the left side of the window, take up the wall there then down the long naked wall. The grand plan (in my head for the moment. LOL) is to at some point have a foyer on the other side of that kitchen window and and make that window a doorway. I am thinking you could come in the front door, hang a left to the new master bedroom, go straight into the kitchen or hang a right into the new family room. Of course, those rooms don't exist. Yet. :)

I probably want to stay with neutrals starting out since I love to repaint and I love to redecorate. At any rate, all that white must go!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh, forgot to say....If you have any ideas for the hall and living room...you will see them each from the other area. My living room furniture is dark denim with the mustard stitching, like brand new jeans look! I am trying to decide if I might be a mustard paint kind of person. LOL I never liked it before but I want to do *different* for me and the drapes are not going to live in the new house. :)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Just paint the whole thing red, inside and out.
That way Craig can break the power saw back out and not make a mess!

Glad you posted these shots.
TOTALLY different than I imagined.
Looks like you got a real find there!

When's Morgan opening the sandwich shop there? :)
Ric and

Chele, I have some more idears now that you asked. I will keep it tasteful and not to bawdy. I'll get the samles together soon as I get to the paint store.

Molly

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Congratulations Chele on closing the deal! So happy for you and the fam!

I have a red kitchen, too, and some extra cans of red paint samples if you want to try different shades on your walls...The color looks good on you!

Thumbnail by tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Ooops. This is the pic I meant to post.

Thumbnail by tabasco

Gosh, 'Chele... you may have started a Red Kitchen Club!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL Judy! I remember you getting flustered with me making faces every time you tried to take a pic. :P I LOVE your kitchen. Do you remember me pointing out that it is red last week?

I had no idea red kitchens were so popular! :)

I feel very out of place with my periwinkle kitchen cabinets.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL Elsie! Hey, dare to be different! Right now I have white laminate cabinets and I am so sick of that I could spit!!

I'm don't think I added my congratulations to you and your family. Love the pictures of your new house.

Franklin, OH

Hi Badseed, I'm new to DG but I wanted to add my red (burgandy) kitchen to the list. I painted the bottom half the red up to where a chair rail would be and then have an "Apple" border instead of the chair rail, the top half is "Buttercream" sponge painted with the burgandy. I have an apple theme to it now and I love the color. I also have the electric baseboard heating in this house and I love it. We can choose the level of heat per room. Nice to have when everyone wants a different level in their room. Our other house in Md. had the heat pump and I have to say that the baseboard is a lot cheaper. Where is your farm ( what township) I live in Franklin, north of Cincy. Let me know when your nursery is open - if it's not too far , I may come down and go shopping! Good luck with you new home and business. Linda

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks so much Elsie! Glad to see you. ;)

Hello Linda. It is nice to meet you. Welcome to DG! The home is in Lynchburg, in Dodson County. Do you know where that is? I'd love to see a picture of your kitchen if you'd like to share.

I am a woman without themes! LOL It used to make my MIL crazy! I don't collect anything, other than children apparently. :) My MIL collected turtles and one daughter collected clowns while the other collected teacups. She couldn't stand that there was not a little *something* that should could pick up for me. I guess money has been so up and down for my whole marriage that I really have not done 'total decorating' or a theme to any room. Hmmmm...

Kernersville, NC(Zone 7a)

Red kitchens look fabulous! My sil, sister and mom all have red kitchens. I'm the rebel with white walls and only red glass knobs on the cabinets and cherry curtains lol, but I plan to redo the kitchen as soon as I figure out what to do with it. My living room is red, and we love it. I rented for so long, I promised myself that I would never have white walls again, so I have to do something in that kitchen:)

Congrats again, and I'm glad Maddie is feeling better.

Rachel

Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

'Chele,

How about refacing the front of the cabinet boxes and replacing the doors with new ones? Doing that is a popular trend in our area.

I had a red dining room at my old house.

Leslie

Thumbnail by LaLambchop
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

What do you mean, you don't collect anything. What about all those plants you are moving ? A collection don't have to be an old dusty object.
I didn't know red was so popular. Minwax has a new red color wood stain. A lady we did new cabinets for had us stain them thaty color. (Sorry I don't remember the exact name.) It looked like blood on the wipe off rag. They were beautiful when done. I'll post the picture, but it doesn't show the true color.
Bernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

It might show better in this shot of the free standing island.

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Here's my kitchen.. Just give you some idea.. On the top of cabients.. We are going to buy some different size of pottery pots to put there. Those woods cabients are maple wood and stained with paint.

Thumbnail by MiniSchnuz
Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

That's a lovely stain, Bernie!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Wow! We really are a "red" bunch aren't we? Those all look really nice! I guess I will stick to the red then. At this point if I change my mind, Molly might strangle me. LOL

Bernie, do I remember wrong or didn't you just re-do your whole kitchen? It looks really nice!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I'm a carpenter, so I am not done with ours yet. Give me another couple years, LOL!
Bernie

This is the corner window.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Some of the nice "white" cabinets.
I remember you stating you are tired of your white ones.
Bernie
Notice missing doors.

This message was edited Sep 19, 2005 7:17 AM

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

I love my red livingroom. I smile whenever I go in there. But remember.. Red is one of those hard to paint colors.. good paint is essential!! and multiple coats! It may save time if you have your primer stained red.
A friend of mine painted her dining room red and the paint literally fell off the walls in strips.. it was horrible.. I actually saw that happen on a TLC show the other night..lol.. I was screaming.. "I know what paint they used!!" lol..

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Don't get me wrong Bernie. I love the way the white looks. When I did our kitchen, I only had one kid. I was nine months pregnant with number two when we put in the white cabinets and I laid the black and white ceramic tile. I know that was a sight to see! I scooted around on one of those garden grasshoppers with my belly and a stack of tile between my legs. LOL Anyway, I love the way it looks-at other people's houses! It does not look so nice with six kids, two dogs and a cat! Your's is beautiful!

Jazz, I believe Molly has taken over decorating. :) Since she is a professional painter, I am betting I will get a recommendation on the right paints. LOL My nephew paints all the Walmarts. He was just recently telling me about a brand called Everclean or something like that. Molly?

Okay, gonna pack a few boxes of plants to drop at the post office then we are headed out to change the locks at the new house and I am going to steam clean carpets. Oh, yay!

'Chele, I think it takes a bold person to use red paint! Not for sissies, LOL.

Edited to add: Molly will no doubt recommend a quality paint. As part of doing renovation jobs for years, I did a lot of painting, mostly interior. I only use Benjamin Moore paints.

This message was edited Sep 19, 2005 10:14 AM

Chele,

I am not clearly aware of Everclean, but there might be a foggy memory somewhere in this head of seeing it on a shelf. That's all I can say on that.

I do know that if you choose a red from Benjamin Moore, you need to use their paints. They already know the formula and although most companies can match formulas they may not get it exactly right.

I primarily use Benjamin Moore products. A little more expensive, but I always know exactly what to expect from them. Even if you use the mid-grade, SuperSpec, it's still a very good product.

I must say though, that if all homeowners used BM paint, they would like painting so much they would never hire me to do the job. The products from HD and Lowes, I find to be sticky, gluey and hard to get off the brush and on to the wall. I think it was one of these products that people find will not stick and peel in sheets from the surface, specially the deep colors that have several fast coats applied.

Chele, I surely do wish I could come and do this job for you. I would truly enjoy meeting you and your family. But I already know you have plenty of talent and mountains of gumption. I'll be off to the paint store to get color strips today.

Molly
:^))

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.