July Sky, Wet or Dry? #3 Daily Weather

Arroyo Grande, CA

Yes, I will Fedex it to you tomorrow, but on the other hand it makes it possible to grow shade plants in full sun, what little we get that is.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

I'll let you know when it gets here. Don't hold your breath. ;-)

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

Chuck1260. . .way back you posted that fog in your area is worse when it's hot in the interior valley. Well, it's been NOTHING BUT HOT, HOT, HOT in this inland valley. Tomorrow's the first day w/a possible forecast of under 100°, and is very much welcome after 15 of last 16 days ranging from 100° to 109°. Getting a tad bit wilty here, and not just the plants!! Was supposed to be over at Pismo this week with DD, but didn't work out. . .sure wish it had.

101° forecast for today
73 °F / 23 °C currently
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 47%
Dew Point: 52 °F / 11 °C
Wind: Calm
Pressure: 29.85 in / 1011 hPa
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers

8-)) Janet

Arroyo Grande, CA

San Luis Obispo County beach areas fill up in the summer with refugees from the heat of the valley. The Fresno area bunch usually goes to North County and the Bakersfield bunch goes to South County. You can pretty much figure you are going to have a long wait, unless you go very early, to eat out. I like the fog, it is good for the plants, though mildew can be a problem. I lived in South San Francisco while going to law school, before returning to San Luis Obispo and then down to Arroyo Grande. SSF has much more fog than AG, but the plants loved both places. In SSF there were only a few days in the three years that we didn't have fog, here, it is mostly a summertime phenomenon with August the foggiest month. You hear about June gloom but the stats say August is the foggiest. Of course in the Bay Area, June gloom could have referred to the Giants.

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

Personally I like Cambria (when hubby and I go) and after the summer season, but DD and grandsons like Pismo (warmer and sandier), so that's where we'll go for playing in the sand and surf. At the beginning of the week, it's not too bad, but gets worse as the week progresses for long lines. Central coast anywhere has always been the summer playground for part of the central San Joaquin Valley, as it's the closest for both Fresno and Bakersfied and environs. The rest go up into the Sierras to higher elevations where it's nice and cool. Either way, it's just nice to get out of the relentless heat. I had friends that lived in SSF and they complained about the wind. . .always windy there when I've been there too. I lived in San Leandro, across the bay and it was breezy there every afternoon. The mildew was problem there too, from the fog and overcast weather. Wouldn't mind a little fog and mildew right now. . .and ah. . yes. . .those Giants.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

The thing about June and the Giants was called the "June Swoon" b/c the Giants were known for their tendency to collapse into oblivion in that month! Ahh, the heartbreak! :-(

I like Cambria. I like to gather stones.

But the Giants - I "hate" 'em! (except Mike Matheny, wink, wink.) ;-) But speaking of swoon, the Dodgers have been swooning since May. They're awful, but I still like them. I don't know why. Oh! - the game is on in 5 minutes. I never miss a game. Talk to you later.

Arroyo Grande, CA

Yes, I have been following the Giants since they moved west. Mostly heartbreak, but they come through every once in a while and some day they may win a World Series again. Also a 49er fan, but like the Lakers instead of the Warriors. Forty-Niners are in the thin period right now and probably will be there for a while. But it was great while Eddie D was there. I have followed them since Y.A Tittle and John Henry Johnson. Gotta be a masochist to be a fan of Bay Area teams. Add Stanford to the list as well.

I went to LA to pick up my son at the airplane. The only foggy place along the coast was here. I5 was closed so took a long time coming home. Much of the traffic had been diverted to 101.

Foggy now and probably tomorrow as well.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Ha! I've been a 49er fan since Frankie Albert, qb, Hugh Mcelhenny, hb, and Joe Perry fb.

Hi yesterday 76! The lowest high on record for the date! 1.80" precip. :-)

Why was I5 closed?

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

yes, ?why? was I-5 closed? muck slides?

dp 29, hum 23%, low 65* expected high 102* - things have been more reasonable since the cold front that dived out of Canada. No more clouds since Monday though.

Arroyo Grande, CA

Big chemical spill, closed both sides.

Arroyo Grande, CA

Foggy again this morning, big surprise.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Well, it's 72º here in Chicago this morning. I fly out of O'Hare at 1:00pm today and change planes in Dallas. I was lucky to get a flight straight here from Jax last Sunday.
I just jammed a dozen or so potted plants into an extra suitcase I packed just for that purpose.
I do wish I could stay in Dallas about 3 days and visit my brother, Auunt in Center, and John and Betty.
Maybe Christmas.
Sidney

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Lo 59 (a record low?), dp 65 (rising), mstly clr, no wind. What'cha want for Christmas?

Arroyo Grande, CA

59 overnight and gunna make it all the way to 72 today. Not much of a spread. Supposed to clear around 1 and come back about 4. Kinda hard to generate the 20 temperature differential that proteacae need to germinate. Good thing I have a fridge and lights.

I guess you won't be sending any fog my way now, since I'm a Dodger fan and I rooted for the Angels to win the World Series in 2002 (or whenever that was). ;-) I don't follow football, so you can like the 'Niners all you want. I also like the Lakers, though last year they were so bad that I liked the Clippers better.

What are you trying to germinate? Maybe you could put the car outside and put them in the car during the day to warm them up.

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

Yeah, what Proteaceae are you trying to germinate? Curious bunch, aren't we?? A wee bit cooler here today, but not much.

99 °F right now
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 18%
Dew Point: 48 °F / 9 °C
Wind: 8 mph / 13 km/h from the West
Pressure: 29.89 in / 1012 hPa
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers

Alas, the weather man says at least 1 more week of 100+. Closure on I-5 was because 2 big trucks that collided around 4AM yesterday and burned, starting a grass fire as well. One was a tanker carrying organic peroxide, highly combustible. Closed it down for 12 hrs. going south and even longer going north. Bet the traffic was horrendous on 101. 8-) Janet

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

But, but, but, its organic for crying-out-loud! Therefore, it has to be good.

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

Behave yourself John. Wonder what they do with organic peroxide. . .any chemists among the ranks? or otherwise knowledgeable on the subject?

8-)) Janet

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Mebbe bleach the canned chicken white. esp those cuppa chicken salad ones.

Lessee now, just possibly that's what the little bottles of hydrogen peroxide sitting in my bathroom are made from. combustible in one form doesn't mean that after it's been processed it would still be?

Hush, Blooms, no one knew how science deprived I am.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanx John

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Hey, Dyson!

Arroyo Grande, CA

Every proteacae that looked reasonably interesting that I could find seeds for. There are quite a few and slowly they seem to be germinating. It will be fun to see if I can get them to 1 gallon size. Once they get there, they have done well in the yard in the crappiest soil. Most of them have had a hard time with the fungi, with lots of fungi growing, but slowly I have gotten rid of the fungi with Aliette, copper fungicide, and dilute bleach. It has been a couple of months of putting them in the fridge during the day and under the lights at night to get them to germinate.

My son-in-law, who is a great guy, is a rabid Dodger and Ram fan, so it is OK, and one of my lifelong friends is a Dodger fan, so it is double OK. San Luis, where I grew up, is split between the Dodgers and the Giants. The Dodgers had a local radio affiliate and the Giants were on the Fresno station that we could only get at night. We also used listen to KMJ from Fresno that would broadcast from Mel's Drive-in. That pretty much dates me to American Grafitti (the time the movie deplicts, not when it was made) days. There was another station that broadcast from Tijuana, The Mighty 690, so that double dates me. Guess I must be a geezer.

To stay on the thread, it cleared this afternoon late and is not too foggy right now. It was clear in San Luis this evening.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

The Rams don't live here anymore!!!
LOL

Home again. home again, Bibbity Bob!
I am ever so glad to be back in the Sauna South. The humidity is about 98%. It's 77º, sunny.
John all I want for Christmas is a some big hugs!
sidney

Arroyo Grande, CA

Really, I thought they were just sojourning in St. Louis and were planning on returning to LA for a repeat run after they had worn out their welcome.

It is foggy again this morning.

Arroyo Grande, CA

It is already clear, we could have a hot one, might reach 75 degrees today.

Seems to be some bragging in the air, LOL

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

temp 88* so far today, 37* dp, Hum 16%
WC promising clouds and a 40% chance of thunderstorms somewhere in your view. from here they're ususally up on the mtns. but we'll hope.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Sometimes they come down from mountain, Blooms!

Chuck, I use to do that American Grafitti cruise. It was in Modesto. It started at Mel's Drive-in and then we would drive up and down McHenry looking for chicks. Cops were everywhere looking to make trouble for us poor innocent kids. Wolfman Jack was the DJ on that Tijuana radio station. The guy was a blast wasn't he? I love that movie. Suzanne Somers was the blonde in the T-bird. That flick really captured the spirit of the times. And, Lucas had to have been there.

Sidney, it will be done!

Lo 64, dp 62, current 94, pc, e4

Arroyo Grande, CA

Yes, he was there. And you know who Bob Falfa was. It was a lot more innocent here. We only had Higuera St. and the Little Chef. Later they created a Farmer's Market on Thursday night to try to stop the cruising, but that was several generations later.

We have a memorial celebration for my mother who passed away, a victim of Alzheimer's, on Monday so I have been going through the old slides to pick out about a hundred of the very best. But my father and the rest of us were fairly prolific photographers starting 1949, so there are too many. I have whittled it down to a couple of hundred digitized slides, still need to reduce it by a hundred. It has been great fun and very moving to go through all these. I had already digitized about seven thousand of my fathers and mine, so the first part was easy. Just finished culling the rest of my slides. Hopefully I will not have to pull an all-nighter to get this done by Monday at one.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Chuck, so sorry to hear about your mother, and I assume it's recent. Either way, may she RIP.

Me too Chuck, I know how wrenching it can be to lose them way before they die. My DGM went that way.
How do you digitize slides?
sidney

Arroyo Grande, CA

She died two weeks ago. She had had Alzheimer's disease for almost nine years.

I used a dedicated 35mm Nikon 5000 slide scanner with a feeder. It will do about 30 slides an hour with the digital ICE on. I did them at 4000 dpi, so they are pretty big files.

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Chuck - going through those photos brings back the good days. My mother died of Alzheimers many yrs., ago. My father passed this spring at 90 yrs. and I am preparing for estate auction and finding poetry my mother wrote in 1929.

This is a part of the grieving and healing process.

Hot and Humid today - OK if you don't go in anywhere where it is air conditioned. Lots of sweat - you'd pay for this if you went to a gym.

Sorry to hear about your mother, Chuck.

The usual (sunny, high 90s), but that isn't stopping the people behind us from having an outdoor party with live music. :-(

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Oh, Kelli, just go ahead and enjoy it- like you were a surprise guest. Even if it's a kind of music you don't like, at least there are people having a good time some where in the world.

The boys catty corner across the corner street have a rock and roll band, they practie often an loudly. But at least you know they're not out there up to no good.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Rock n Roll Lives!!!. This evening I heard a guy trying to do Blue Suede Shoes at an outdoor kareoke place. He was no Carl Perkins. Rock on ya'll.

Hi 97, lo 64, dp 64, clr, no wind.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I think Bob Falfa was Harison Fords character? They did something to shutdown the Modesto cruise, too. I don't remember what. Had already moved on by that time. Couldn't believe they actually made a movie about it. The movie was cool and so were the times.

Sorry to hear about your Mom, Chuck. Lost mine eleven years ago. My Dad 33 years ago. Thats a lot of photos to "cull." Its hard work but, you are probably the only one that can do it right. May the force be with you.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.