Hurricane Dennis #2

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Thanks Pati. The new seems so different whatever you see. Sure wish there was a definitive where it's headed at this point.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

We made it, hurricane and all.....dern, Pati, you're really getting the hang of this...hehehe

Ocean Springs, MS(Zone 8b)

Were kinda waiting to hear which way it is going, then head in the opposite direction, most likely to LA. Will have to camp out somewhere. This should be a real fun trip, my husband and I plus 4 dogs, then there is my son, his wife and 2 kids and their 3 dogs and don't have any idea where to go, the campgrounds will be full. This is just making me sick. I would rather take a beating than go through this.

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Why, thank you! (she said, blushing prettily)

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Pati could you edit your post above and put these links in it:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ ImWay's (John's link)
http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/tc_pages/ATL/04L.DENNIS/ssmi/gif/full/Latest.html Patischell's link
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float2-rgb-loop.html Floridian's link

It's so much easier to find and follow them when they are located in the first post. I know we can bookmark them but others join in later and miss the links.

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8a)

Pati asked me to repost this here, thanks for your concern. It always helps when you have support.

Repost:
Weeds, me & my BIL did the roof. It took 1 1/2 months to get the adjuster here, then they only paid for half the roof. I did not get a blue roof, the contractor they used marked alot of people off the list, claimed he put the tarps on, & took off with the money.

Hap, thanks for your concern. I am pretty much numb with fear. My BF had an accident & can not work right now, by son works with him, so I am the sole provider. Can not afford to evacuate.

Robin

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

((((((Robin and family))))))

This is the Key West radar. It shows the beating Cuba's getting and you can see the storm is going to be coming off of land soon.
Pati

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/radar/loop/DS.p19r0/si.kbyx.shtml

Great idea Lilypon! I just hope I can do it...it's a giant leap forward for me.
Stand by, if your screen goes blank you know I messed up. *grin*
Pati

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

We had Camille and I sure hope we don't see another one of those - hope NOBODY sees that kind again. But we made it fine and all is well.

Stand by...I'm going to find Terry.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Well, those of us east of Pensacola or in Pensacola are a bit nervous. I think we are still planning to ride it out. Hopefully, he will downgrade before hitting. I am betting on landfall in Pensacola or Fort Walton Beach. Wish it was elsewhere. No offense, but IT AINT OUR TURN!!!!!!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

We wish it were somewhere else, too, rylaff, even though "somewhere else" could be here. We're praying for you all!!!

Crestview, FL(Zone 7b)

I agree with you Lisa.. I just spent all morning and pretty much this afternoon (what wasn't spent in traffic on US 85 going north out of FWB.. bumper to bumper crawl) helping my parents batten down their house.. they refuse to leave. I've been working around here. My arms are past aching to a solid BURN from using the post hole digger trying to anchor down my shed in our wonderful hard clay. So much to do.. so little time.. and unfortunately.. no help :-(

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Wish we could help in some way! We're sure thinking about you as we watch this develop, and are praying for you all!!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

This isn't too much different than Dave's map, but at least it is a little closer in.

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX
Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

it looks like we are in the clear.

I am offering a place to anyone that has a camper and needs to get out of harms way. Your pets are welcome.

If you can't make it this far down and want to stop in at New Orleans, I can try to find out camping info in that area. .

This message was edited Jul 8, 2005 8:05 PM

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

robin...hoping you have much better luck this time........it's just not fair!

That's a GREAT map Marylyn_TX! Who knew there were that many DG's in those few states, Thanks so much.
Pati

Longboat Key, FL

We took temporary leave from NJ and landed here just in time to welcome Dennis. Our first taste of Florida hospitality was getting our rented auto filled up with gas.

The gougers are already alive and well, again. The station had the nozzles for both of the lower grades of gasoline covered with plastic bags. He would sell only Premium grade.

How do we let them get away with this ?

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

go to this site and call the number to report price gouging!!

http://myfloridalegal.com/

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Been folllowing all the links and this truly is not fair!

Robin, you certainly have my support and good wishes!

Gracie

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

All of you are in my prayers!!

Crestview, FL(Zone 7b)

at least you have gas Flflyboy.. all our pumps up here are empty... there are going to be a lot of stranded motorist on the roadway.. that's what sad... and yet another reason to stay home instead of trying to get away and ending up sleeping on the side of the road. Price gouging is not right though... are you sure he had the mid and low grade??

Longboat Key, FL

MzM~

What can I say? No other gas station followed suit, when I checked as I drove around. And there is no rush to the stations here in Sarasota. We seem to be out of the path. But, who knows?

My prayers, too, go to the Floridians (and others) in its path.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

gas here but long lines today

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

That's the PITS!!! (gas)

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

No gas at all here. All pumps are empty. I got up at 330 this morning and drove around until I found one that still had gas. My husband is out looking now. He drove over to Fort Walton to see if he could find some. You know you wont be able to get any after the storm because no one will have power.

Foley, AL

rylaff turn on the radio station or call them they mostlikely know. that is how I found my gas.

ely

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8a)

Just to put some humor here, you have to hear this. My younger sister decided to stay here instead of evacuated. She has two brick houses, neither had damage during Ivan. The one she lives in is a two story house on a big hill, she has a generator she got after Ivan. I just got central heat & air, before I just had window units. She just called & wanted to know if I still had the units, yes I do. Are they still in the windows, yes. Well, she wants to use one so she can have air after Dennis.
I have no generator, so she figures I have no use for them. I had to laugh, after a few choice words.

Still have some humor left,
Robin

I'm saying prayers for everyone tonight. ... Elaine

Helena, AL(Zone 7b)

From all I hear Dennis will probably hit around the Pensacola area. Which means Mobile Al. will get some very nasty weather and then it will move on up to my neck of the woods, Birmingham, Al.

The weathermen here say we can expect 80-95 miles an hour sustained winds Sunday night. Not near as bad as the actual Hurricane but bad enough to do plenty of damage. The biggest problem for us is the Tornados that spin off from the Hurricanes !

A couple of months ago we had a Tornado pass right over my neighborhood, it never touched down, just passed over. There were over 40 trees pulled right up out of the ground, many onto cars or houses, lots of roof damage. If one of these babies touch down, well, you can imagine!

They call the area I live in Tornado Alley. I cant count all the times I have had to dive for shelter from Tornados in the last few years, the Tornado sirens are our best friends. Several years ago when I lived in Huntsville Al. a Tornado passed over where I was, touched down 2 blocks away and went straight up the mountain, totally destroying over 100 homes and countless apartments. There were cars up in the tops of trees. I cant remember the exact number but there were app. 20 people killed. We take these things seriously down here I can tell you!

I am as ready as I can be, we always loose power, sometimes for days. I always keep a stash of all the things you need, Then all I have to do is shop for food and gas, and batten down the hatches.

My thoughts and prayers are with all of you who are in this Monsters path, keep in touch when you can. Sharon

Fayetteville, NC(Zone 8a)

This is just unbelievable. Another hurricane season like the last -- and that one set records. I have a son and his family in Tampa and a good friend in Panama City and now I am meeting DGers from all over that area. I just will keep you all in my prayers. I'm so sorry about all the worry you have and not knowing whether to run and then which direction. I was in Hurricane Fran several years ago and I will never forget what that was like.

Lakeland, FL

Gas here in Lakeland went from $2.15 agallon to $2.25 yesterday. What a bummer. The bad weather is in Venice now heading my way. Bands off of Dennis, tornados etc. Hang in there all. Marilynne

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Good Morning,

I hope all is well upon waking. I never wake up to storms, always sleep through hurricanes, but I was awaken at 4:30 this morning with high winds opening and slamming all 3 screen doors on the house. Very heavy rains.

So far lots of twigs and sticks have landed around the yard from the mango tree, but nothing remarkable. All the plants I put in yesterday seem pretty smug right now. They are standing tall and blooming.
I had propped my castor bean tree up with a ladder and it seemed to help. The tree is still standing.

Molly, reporting from Ft Lauderdale

Crestview, FL(Zone 7b)

Molly.. that's good news.. hope it continues like that for you. I still have to finish anchoring my shed and then move the gas grill inside and I'll be set and ready for the storm. My muscles are still aching and I didn't sleep well last night. The goils (my kitties) are confused as they really don't know what is going on.

Erwin, TN(Zone 7a)

I have been spending my time helping horse farms make preparations to hook up the generators, to keep water and fans running. We were out of power a month last year, --OH WELL

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Just hoping the best for everyone.
The gas price gouging has reached our area. Gas went up yesterday from 2.02 in the morning to 2.29 by the afternoon. I guess they know ya'll are coming this way.

Erwin, TN(Zone 7a)

Price gouging ? --I have always wondered if any of these laws even apply to oil companys? The price of Diesel and gas went up a bunch yesterday and I supose it will continue as long as people need to flee the storm, --

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.