Hurricane Dennis #2

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

It sure would be nice if there was some way to control price increasing during these times.

Insurance companies will not bind any coverage when hurricanes are imminent and many mortgage companies delay closings on real estate sales for the same reason.

I know it might seem like hindering free enterprise, but putting a freeze on gas prices for these catastrophies doesn't seem unreasonable to me. They have been steadily raising prices over the past several months anyway so are already enjoying more profits. Why take advantage of hardships like this.

JMO

Molly
:^)))

Crestview, FL(Zone 7b)

The price rise in fuel/gas is due to the oil platforms in the gulf being shut down. This article explains the rising prices. http://yahoo.usatoday.com/money/industries/energy/2005-07-06-hurrican-oil-surge_x.htm?csp=N008

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Gas prices have been rising here, too, the last couple days.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Just stopped in for a moment....prayers are with all who are in harm's way.

My sis with the house on Dauphin Island is pretty glum at the moment.....they just got the Ivan damage fixed 3 weeks ago and the house was ready for occupancy again.....then Cindy blew away their steps and plumbing. They are not going to report any damage till after Dennis hits though.

Her husband has been sitting with the laptop in front of the TV with the Weather Channel on for the past 3 days......

Longboat Key, FL

From Longboat Key.

Last night sounded like the cannons going off in the Overture of 1812. We're having rain and strong gusts, as the bands of the storm sweep through.

Be well, guys and gals. We're praying for you panhandlers.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Mel, I remember all the anxiety last year for your sister's place. (Didn't many neighbors' houses on the island get blown away? I hope I have remembered right.) Hope they fare okay this year.

As expected, Dennis is regaining some strength, and I'm praying for everyone in his path.

Flyboy, I remember those 'cannon' shots in the 1812 overture... sounds like an apt description of storms!

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Everyone is in my prayers and believe those outer "bands" need as much respect as the big wind. Hunker down.
Driving to Fla. in the morning from NC. Hope I can find gas to get back home.
sidney

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Good am all.....bed still here, did not make Tampa last night...heheh

All is well in the garden. There are a few leaves from the palms but that is about it. The lake rose and now the coleus that I planted next to the shore yesterday are swamp lillies....LOL The lake will be down in a couple of days and they will forget all about their harrowing experience. Hey kids,,,,,,mama just fed you a little extra water....be happy....I said to the coleus..

It's still very windly here and grey skys; good day for pulling weeds.

Thanks for all the prayers and thoughts, and mine go out to the panhandle for their deliverance later today. May God keep you in His arms..

Hap

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Absolutely, sidney

Where's Pati???

Whoa! Just caught part of the Weather Channel on Dennis. They are suggesting power outages of up to 3 weeks?

Heck, the shortage of gasoline to flee the area is bad enough!

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8a)

Mel, please tell us that your sister evacuated. After Fredrick, Dauphin Island was under water.

Robin

Longboat Key, FL

c'mon Happy_1~

Couldn't you have said, "May God keep you in His or Her arms (as the case may be)."

It is safer to cover all the bases.

(Just kidding)

Be well. Be safe.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

report from pc....just got the last of my yard stuff secured and the rain /wind has begun. fastening seat belt and securing doggies.

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

Stay safe, Connie.

Erwin, TN(Zone 7a)

Got 2 inch of rain so far and that was just a feeder band, --so I will go pick up the trash cans that have blown across the yard and put them away, --good luck to those who will need it more than me, --and --may God keep them all in their [Her and His] hands

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

roz...you too, how is it over your way?

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Just starting to rain and get darker here as the first of the feeder bands come in. I had to work half a day and just got home . Still have to go out and bring in potted plants and such. Well, I guess I should get started. This is gonna get any better.

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Yall take care and be careful ((((HUGS))))))

Molly

Pati, glad to see you checking in!

Just talked to my sister in Kissimmee... lots of wind but not much rain. At least her roof was repaired and no blue tarp.

The rest of y'all in the panhandle, just button up and stay safe!

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8a)

Pati, some gas came in this morning, after waiting in line for hours you discover it is gone. People are greedy, they fill their vehicles & several containers for generators after the storm. They could wait & let people fill their vehicles, not everyone wants to stay here.

Robin

Robin, That's really the PITS.

What a shame that people cannot get that you are all in this together.

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8a)

Signing off now. It is getting rough, & it is still a day away from us. Thanks for everybody talking us through this ****.

Robin

Robin, just hang in there... we'll be here when you get back online!

Just wanted everyone to know I'm here praying. Be careful and stay safe! ... Elaine

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

You Florida peeps should come visit me......NOW!!!! Trust me the temps here would make you feel right at home.

Crossing fingers and toes.....y'all are in my thoughts and prayers!!!

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

All my florida friends,
I am so sorry you folks gotta go through this again. I would have actually rather us take this one than ya'll..yall hang on, be safe and keep us posted.

To those in harms way..do you have DG friends in other states where you can leave cell phone numbers so we can get updates in event (and it will) that power goes out? I remember last year having to worry about Lisa and Bugfreak for what seemed like eternity.

please be safe yall.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Not a bad idea except our cell phones didnt work either. I guess we lost towers or something.

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

I keep a cheap, no frills phone that I plug into my phone jack. We lost electricity, but the phone lines held, so I was able to keep in touch with family. My fancy frills phone has to have electricity to work.We had no cell phone service for awhile.
Pati

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

i gotta tin can, you got string? meet me at the state line...

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

LOL...that's FUNNY!
Pati

Longboat Key, FL

Well, we still show a foot of seawall, but the waves are splashing over it. Lucky we have no grass -- only river rock.. the winds are still from the east, but should start shifting around to the west as the eye passes us out in the Gulf.

Hang in there, panhandlers.

Lilburn, GA(Zone 7b)

Gosh....my best to all of you in harms way. We had the remains of the storms come thru atlanta last September....pretty scary......I can't even imagine what all of you went through.

Hey Brad....so glad it missed you in the keys...by the way...what in the heck are you doin down there anyway.....instead of safe and sound up north?

flaming

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

He is a storm chaser!

Keeping you in my thoughts and hope Dennis fizzles.

Longboat Key, FL

flaming~

I may have already confessed my purpose in coming back. As our friends depart this world, it starts leaving big blanks in our Address Book. But, we needn't have worried, the pages for "D" are swelling. That's "D" as in "Doctor". And they're all down here.

imway~

John:

Would that I were so brave, or foolhardy. See above.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

flyboy....just read your message....I KNOW God is a woman, but I didn't want to start things.....heheh

Hap

Longboat Key, FL

Happy_1:

I know, I know. But let's keep it our little secret. People who don't understand may be looking in on our conversation. We're having enough controversy in our world without getting people more riled up than absolutely necessary.

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Reporting in from St. Pete area. Hava a squall band moving through right now but mostly heavy gusts of wind. Made the decision to leave my plants out on their own as I have about 250 pots. So far, everyone is staying put with the exception of a few of the larger ones being blown on their side and will stay that way till it blows over. This is a wake up call again to get my plant room finished and the garage cleaned out for the "h" season.
Did manage to get another tarp on my leaky roof in between bands this am. Kinda of freaky though when you're on the roof and one of those little gusts come up. Thank goodness I'm not a 90 lb weaking.LOL
Jan....

Lilburn, GA(Zone 7b)

Please all...keep us informed with updates. I appreciate hearing 'firsthand' from all of you.

Brad..so sorry...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.