Hurricane Dennis #2

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

we all just sitting and waiting...just talked to ginger and the have no action either. if the dang thing wabbles to pc i am outta here cause i think everybody else already left.

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Not on the maps, but on the written strike probabilities, NOAA has Pensacola with the highest strike probability and Mobile second. The disclaimer is 65 miles in either direction.

Rylaff, hard decision to make, but being stuck out in a car in this one is just too dangerous to even consider. Stay in touch as long as you can. Does a DG'er in another state have a contact number for you? Or that you could call to get a message to us at DG? WE WILL WORRY because we're your family too.

I'll nap in the recliner tonight so I'll be here to stay in touch if anybody needs anything.

Precious people...perilous times.....plenty prayers and ((hugs))
Pati

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Yes, I did nap (which I almost never do) and got day and night reversed.

This message was edited Jul 10, 2005 9:22 AM

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

if you want to watch our pc local news live live video go here...can also send them emails and if you from far away they will prolly read them on the air.

http://wmbb.com/

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

darius...you got your nights and days mixed up....have a long nap????

Longboat Key, FL

Well, the waters have gone down a little, but the winds are still blowing, and the rain is coming down.

Dothan,, AL(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the link weeds. I thought that we were safe. Now I don't know.
Rylaff keep posting as long as you can

mimid

Rylaff where's beautiful little Ryleigh?

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8a)

We just had a stronger band come through. Really not looking good for us in Pensacola. It is a Cat 3 again, may be a 4 when it hits us.

Robin

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Ryleigh is home with her mommy. They live just down the road from Trish in Crestview. They are going to ride it out also. My son is at the fire station where he will have to remain for the duration of the storm.
I am nervous, but Robin I am really worried about you. I am afraid you may get the very worst of it. Are you in a good solid house? And hopefully not too close to water. (my poor poor garden)

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

keep us posted rylaff and robin

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

On CNN they are talking about putting furniture up against any doors you have facing the Gulf and backing your cars against the garage door if it's facing the same direction.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

You are all so brave, you guys. The waiting must be just nail-biting. Busily listening to the wmbb.com TV.

We will be praying for you. Tidal surges sound so scarey, Cat3 just announced

Inanda

I'm sure you all have had many instructions about preparing for hurricanes and the importance of having a "safe space". Most people think of a closet, but one of the most successfull ones that came out of "Andrew" in Miami was the mattress in the bathroom. It usually has the smallest window, the plumbing pipes give extra strength in the walls, and the bath tub and sink will hold the mattress over you. My friend put her 3 small children in the bath tub and she and her husband sat on the floor and the mattress covered them all. (Along with 2 dogs).

This was our plan for last years storms if we needed to go to a safe space.
Pati

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

We have iron bars on our windows. So unless something smaller hits the windows, they should be okay. I parked my truck on the road in front of the house. If a tree falls, it wont fall on the truck. Have cleaned out two closets in case we have to seek refuge in them. Have taken the valuables and put them in the washing machine (which is heavy and water tight). I have both digital cameras charged up. I think I am ready.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Forecast now in looks like a Gulf Shores landfall.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

That is bad, they are the ones that took the direct hit for Ivan.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

This is what owner of boats do around here when a hurricane is coming. They anchor their boats in the middle of the bay away from solid surfaces. The only problem with that is sometimes they get sunk and sometimes they lose their anchor. Last year there was a sailboat up in a tree here in town.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Oooops, forgot the pic.

Thumbnail by rylaff
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Rylaff I would really consider Pati's suggestion re: bathroom safe spot. In areas of Tornado Alley in the U.S., where people don't have a basement, it's been suggested as one of the safest areas in the house. Especially if a tornado hits.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

off to bed, sleepy here. see ya soon, be safe everybody.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Well I do have a bathroom on the inside part of the house. It has a skylight but no window.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Probally a closet is a better idea then.

My washing machine was outside on a concrete slab. I filled it with water to weigh it down and Duct taped the lid down tight. When I opened it up there was a little tree frog sitting on top of the agitator! My son went out in the eye of the storm and there was a squirrel sitting on top of the window A/C with his tail wrapped around him...fast asleep! He was on the leeward side of the house out of the direct wind. I guess nature takes care of her own.
Pati

I'm still here with y'all ... hoping and praying everyone will be safe. Dogzilla, what's it doing down your way now?

Helena, AL(Zone 7b)

Any small space in the interior of your home with no windows is good. If a closet has a outside wall it's a bad idea but a hallway in the center of the house would be good. Put as many walls between you and outside as possible. be safe

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

I'll be praying for you.

Well, it's just hit here. First good band is coming through now. Will sign off for now. Stay safe and prayers are with everyone!

Oakland, OR(Zone 8a)

Prayers for all in harms way, especially DGer's. Dotti

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8a)

Wanted to check in before the electric goes out. It went out six hours before Ivan. It looks eerie outside. I grabbed a couple of hours of sleep before things got started.

For the people that do not know, when they talk about Gulf Shores, Mobile & Pensacola, they are pretty much talking about the same place. I am very close to the Floirda - Alabama line.

Robin

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8a)

Dennis is a strong Cat 4 now, at 145 mph. Dennis has covered all Catergories. Went all the way to 5, went back down to 1, now 4. Still getting stronger, it is dead center between 4 & 5.

Not looking forward to this.

Robin

Hang in there Robin. Looks like the power is holding out for awhile anyway. Tell me where you are planning to ride it out in your house? Do you have any pets? The shelters in that area are evacuating the animals to Dallas TX and will hold them there for adoption.

Sometimes the noise gets to you, do you have a battery powered radio? I'm sure you do, it was a great comfort to me last year. There's always someone on giving you info and just the sound of them talking can be a comfort.
Pati

Ocean Springs, MS(Zone 8b)

This waiting is a killer not knowing where it will land. I quess I will enjoy my garden this morning because once Dennis goes through there won't be anything left.

Helena, AL(Zone 7b)

For all of you in the path of Dennis today, my prayers are with you.

Lilburn, GA(Zone 7b)

My thoughts and prayers are with all of you.....be safe!
I was not a member of DG last fall when the previous storms came through. My concerns are very much elevated now that I have come to know alot of you through your posts.
We had a band of this powerful storm come through Atlanta last night, my rain gauge measured 3.5 inches within 5 hours.
carole

Starting a new thread for the dial-up's. Let's go over here
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/527801/
Pati

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8a)

Has anyone noticed the three tropical waves behind Dennis? This is unreal.

Pati, I feel like I know you. You have been such a support thru this waiting, not that everyone else has not.

I have a Wolf/Malamute named Dakota. During Ivan he sat on my chest to protect me, it would have worked better if I did not have asthma. LOL. When the bedroom ceiling fell on me, the day after Ivan, Dakota dug me out.

I can tell Dennis is close because Dakota will not leave my side this morning. Wolves go into protection mode when there is danger. It took a full six months to get Dakota back to normal, he would not let anyone in the yard without me going out to greet them.

Robin

Flamingocarol and Robin.... please copy your posts over to the new thread so we don't lose them. I want to reply to both of you and it confuses people.
(((hugs)))

Pati

Lakeland, FL

Well, Dennis is off the coast of Tampa now. We are getting 25 mile an hour winds here and of course rain. Supposed to last all day. My kids are in Alabama. Well, two of them and there families but should be okay as they are inland. Hang in there all. Marilynne

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

Sorry, y'all I was in bed when that last inquiry was posted.

I slept downstairs last night so I wouldn't have to hear/see the pecan tree swaying in the wind, mere feet from my head. Much safer downstairs.

It's raining pretty much steadily right now and has been for most of the night. Wind gusts in Tally are around 35-40 mph right now. Still have power (obviously), cable, water, etc.

I'm just grateful I won't have to water for a few days.

My thoughts and prayers are with everyone west of PC -- this is a bad one!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.