Hurricane Dennis #2

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8a)

The bands are done right now, had do go out & do some more outside. My son is gone to Atlanta & by BF has a cast on his arm.

It was most winds & lightning.

Robin

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Look how Dennis is pushing back a cold front in the southeast: http://www.intellicast.com/Local/USNationalWide.asp?loc=usa&seg=LocalWeather&prodgrp=RadarImagery&product=RadarLoop&prodnav=none&pid=none

Longboat Key, FL

The winds have shifted south. So, I know where the eye is. But, little good it does us.

Helena, AL(Zone 7b)

Just got in from work and decided to check in on everyone. Glad to know that so far you havent suffered much damage. I hope it stays that way.

My stepdaughter finally made it here from Mobile Al. where she goes to Medical School. Mobile is shut down tight now. Interstate 65 has been changed to one way, OUT of Mobile. Our area is packed with people fleeing Dennis. I guess the Tropical Storm weather and tornados we are expecting sound pretty good compared to Dennis!

Gasoline went up 10-15 cents today.

I have to work tomorrow, I will check in when I get home around 4. Untill then, be safe.

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Looks like we are getting our first, and probably only, rain band.

Woops, I take that back. Just checked the radar and there's a long one right behind it.
Pati

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

pc....sun is shining, no rain, no wind. next band to arrive at 6:15, a fairly stong one.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Am thinking about phoning you girl.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Drove through Destin a little while ago. It is a ghost town. I have never seen it that empty. I am amazed, the tourists really evacuated.
When we had our first feeder band, lightening struck a large boat. This is all that is left.

Thumbnail by rylaff
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Boy, not even time for marshmallows....

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

Looks like that second band is in my front yard.

So far so good here. We had a little squall band come through about 2:00 p.m. that wasn't too bad.

I'm all hunkered down with many supplies. I whacked the grass this morning so at least it won't be two feet high next weekend.

Will check back periodically and report conditions.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Yes, please do...

1. We know what is Really going on and
2. If you talk to us, we know you're OK....well at least sorta....

Hap

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

lolol hap! lilypon...all is well here. just waiting and waiing but appears it will land in the mobile area....rylaff is closer to that area.

Dothan,, AL(Zone 8a)

I live about 96 miles north of Panama City and we have had rain and clouds. Real calm right now but saw bands of rain about to reach PC on The Weather Channel. I read that earlier in the week aircraft was flown out from the military bases around Panama City. I live just a few miles from Ft. Rucker and they flew out aircraft a few days ago to Georgia

There is also a shortage of gas around here and the shelves at the grocery stores are getting empty.

Looks as if Dennis will be enough east of us not to cause much damage. Some rain would be appreciated but not flooding. But in a situation like this who can pick and choose. My biggest concern is the loss off power. Even though we have several generators it is not the same as having Alabama Power furnish the power that we need.

Haven't filled the bathtubs up with water but have put extra clorine and shock along with algaecide in my swimming pool. At least I will have 36,000 gallons of clean water there.

A good friend living in Orange Beach left this morning. Her place on the beach was damaged real bad last year by Ivan. She just moved into a house across from the beach. She said that if Dennis was coming in there she hopes it will finish off her house on the beach so she won't have to worry with the problems of fixing this back up.

This message was edited Jul 9, 2005 6:20 PM

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Check this out. You can refresh it for new images

http://ewbullock.com/webcams/hugesize.jpg

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

Okay, the sky just went that creepy green color. I'm going to shut down and go watch the radar.

I'll check back in shortly so y'all won't worry a tornado carried me off!

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

How?

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Rylaff do you have a safe area? I'm so used to people having basements to escape to here but Connie informed me they don't exist down there. :S

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

We are only four feet above sea level, a couple blocks from the bay. If you put a basement in here, you would have a swimming pool . The house is brick and pretty sturdy. I am sure we will spend it in the hallway if it gets really bad. Usually we get the hurricanes at night, however, if there is a bright side, this one will be in the day and I should be able to get some awesome pics.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

ha lily.....you's drown in a basement when the water rises!

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

I know.....weeds told me last year when I was having heart failure over her closet. Still think you should have cement walls poured around your safe spots.

This message was edited Jul 9, 2005 5:32 PM

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

imway2dumb: Smoke signal? ;>) LOL

It passed. All is well.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

We've had a lot of rain and gusty wind. We're in between bands now and the last one was probably the worst we'll get. DH is planting some things we got this morning at the USF Plant Fair...

BayNews9 say Charlie Crist's fraud line is reporting an extrordinarily number of gasoline price gouging complaints from the panhandle
Here's a link to the story: http://baynews9.com/content/36/2005/7/9/107449.html

Those wishing to report suspected price gouging may call the Fraud Hotline at 1-866-9-NO-SCAM or 1-866-966-7226.

The picture shows Queen Palm fronds blowing every which way in storms earlier today

Thumbnail by Floridian

John, I "back-doored" into the website with the pix. I THINK every time you bring it up it advances the time.
http://www.visitpensacola.com/WebCams/pweb.asp
Pati

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Sure looks like we are going to have front row seats with this one. Rylaff I hope you'll be very careful taking pictures! :S

Dothan,, AL(Zone 8a)

rylaff keep in touch as long as you can and let us know what is going on in the panhandle. My sister who lives in Niceville went to Troy.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

This is the leading edge of a feeder band that rolled in as we were on our way home. It brought a lot of wind and rain.

I feel for all of you in the panhandle that are once again in a wait, wait situation. It's a tough place to be. We're as "here with you" as we can be...

Thumbnail by Floridian
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Amazing pics Stacey!

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

googled for and saved that webcam for later.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

rylaff/weeds where's your pics?

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

nothing to take a pic of! still waiting

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Seeing pics of Pensacola on CNN right now......showing peeps still in trailers waiting for their houses to be rebuilt. Says Dennis has wobbled and may be heading in a more easterly direction.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

That is not what I want to hear. Had I known it was going to intensify this much, I would have left.

Fountain, FL(Zone 8a)

In a dungeon (SP) here. We have been working on "shutters" for a month now....finally finished today...I hope!! Bill is making me CRAZY!!!!! Prepared is good,but panic tooo soon is bad. The dogs have been very good..freaked,but good. Tomorrow if I'm lucky I can think about plants.

Talked to crimsontsavo's Mum yesterday...Jocelyn is in Tn. Told Mum she could camp out here (she is in a trailer) but no call so I can only assume that she is OK. Good luck all and stay safe!!

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

rylaff...is it too late to run? are you north or south of the bridge?

Rylaff, is it too late to make a move?
Pati

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

North of the bridge. The last time I waited this long to run, ended up spending the hurricane stuck in traffic. Most scared I have ever been in my life.
Well, we will just hunker down. I am cooking all the meat in my freezer. Luckily, I havent bought a lot of meat. I filled the bathtub, have plenty of bottled water and snackies. Should be allright.

Weeds, how about you?
Pati

Dothan,, AL(Zone 8a)

Lilypon read your post. "Seeing pics of Pensacola on CNN right now......showing peeps still in trailers waiting for their houses to be rebuilt. Says Dennis has wobbled and may be heading in a more easterly direction." Not good for us if he is wobbled to the east. Not good at all.

Rylaff how are you doing.?

I have thee empty bedrooms but if Dennis is heading this way I am sure we will be without power.I am not prepared for this. Dennis is not supposed to be headed toward PC and our area.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

That message scared the _ _ _ _ _ _ _ outta me MImidi and I'm up here! Be safe and careful and pick the most structuraliy sound area of your houses!!!

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I am as ready as I will ever be. I meant to buy that generator but kept putting it off. Wont get too nervous for a while.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.