March Local weather, In like a Lion....II

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

56 and 78 percent humidity. Very low humidity for here. Bright sun, high will be in the 70s.

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

52 degrees and 86% humidity. Not a cloud in the sky! Everything so green here from the recent rains. It's almost like a second spring. During the hurricanes in the summer all the Oaks were stripped of their leaves, but they immediately put out new ones. Now they have all fallen and the trees are just bursting out with new brilliant green ones.
Pati

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

I too am covered up with leaves. I think the "Live" Oaks shed and replace in the winter and the "Water" Oak in the back does it in the spring.
Trois, I didn't realize you had answered about the Pecan trees. Mama had one in her yard. Papa would set outside for hours and Cut the ends off with his Old Timer, then remove the rest of the shell for her pecan pies. They were a smaller variety.

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

The smaller variety seems to taste better. We had trees when I grew up and they were smaller, but tasty. I have one tree here. No leaves yet. The water Oaks have lots of new leaves.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

My temps stayed well above freezing last night had a 39* reading right around sunup. 70* high expected again, no sign of clouds forming for tomorrow's promised showers.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Lo 39, dp 25. The humidity is very low which will make it easier for the high temp to rise! 72 today and 85 (I SAID 85!) tomorrow!

Bloom's gonna be outside and John's gonna need gatorade.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Foggy until about 9 this morning. Now 81F, sunny, and no wind to speak of. Feels almost hot in the sun.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Kelli, I saw a Black Swallowtail yesterday. Tried talking her into sticking around for a photo but, she refused.

It took a while to get that painted lady picture and even then I couldn't get closer than about 6 feet. I don't recall seeing butterflies on the orange tree before. They are probably just passing through. Mostly we have west coast ladies, rather than painted ladies. My insect book says regarding painted ladies, "This species has the widest distribution of any butterfly in the world and is migratory like the monarch; its migration rouths and frequencies, however, are not as well defined nor as well studied. Mass flights of this species through the Los Angeles area have occurred fairly often...the place of origin of these migrants is not known but they probably develop during wet years in northern Mexico. Evidence for a return flight in the fall is scanty."

My favorite butterfly is the tiger swallowtail but I haven't seen one in a long time. I guess monarchs are my second favorite. They remind me of Christmas. I know that is going to sound strange to 99% of you, but late fall is the time of year when I see the most of them.

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

We had a Tiger Swallowtail In the yard most of the day. Couldn't get him to be still at all. When it gets hot the Giant Swallowtails will lay eggs on our orange trees. The Cardinals follow and eat the eggs.
My Blue Hibiscus is blooming. There are several buds on it.

80 here and very dry air. All the standing water is gone for the first time since Oct.

Humidity is at 18%, the lowest in years.

trois

This message was edited Mar 11, 2005 5:02 PM

91F and the thermometer is in the shade, so it must be true.

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

HA HA HA HA! Somehow butterflies during a snow storm is sooo crazy to think about. It would be a really bad idea for butterflies to be here today!

How does a boojum survive in MA? ;-)

I'm fine when I don't know about butterflies during cabin fever time:))) Then I go wack-o %^)

But you'd prolly never see a boojum growing here!

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

A pair of cardinals are getting "that loving feeling" outside my window as I speak!

Butterflies and snow really do have something in common. I've been to where the monarchs spend the winter at Pismo Beach and when the sun is out, the butterflies fly around. You might think that the experience would be something like having a flock of birds around, but it's more like being in a snow flurry, since butterflies are silent, like snow.

I can just pretend the flakes I'm seeing are little white butterflies?

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Its allowed boojum. Just don't say anything outloud.

SHHHHH!

Grinin from ear to ear.;>)

Alright rise and shine. It's just gorgeous outside, 68* and rising. Beautiful bright sun.
Sidney

Sugar, makes you kinda' want to roll in the grass and whinney, doesn't it? LOL We are having the same kind of Paradise day.
Pati

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Mornin. 65 @ a lo of 50. Man says hi of 85 and very windy today.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Morning, beautiful here, 58* and rising fast at 9:40 on a lazy Saturday morning. Still working on that apricot tree, have two broken branches to get to waaaaay up there. In case you were unaware apricot trees get huge if yu let 'em.
Advice: don't let 'em.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Love over ripe apricots!

Blooms, I couldn't remember who had the apricot tree (touch of "oldtimers"), but when I got my new Southern Living it had a recipe for "Apricot Bellinis" that sounded lucious so I put it in the recipe forum. If you decide to try it with your fresh apricots, I may just drive out and join you! LOL
Pati

Bowing to the Weather Forum...it's 66 degrees with the unheard of (for FL) 24% humidity!

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Dry here too Pati and 65. Gonna be the warmest day of the year.

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Early 46 degrees, now 77, heading for 80. Still very dry. Strong SW wind.

trois

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Pati, how 'bout you come here and do whatever you like with 'em - as you can see it's more than one person can deal with. And more than the tree can handle too.

just noticed i left the i off. heehee

This message was edited Mar 12, 2005 11:38 AM

Thumbnail by BloomsWithaView

OHHH, how lovely. Do they smell good too? I wonder if I could grow one here. Could you make apricot wine or brandy like they do with peaches? Or maybe even apricot vinegar!
Pati

That's quite a tree alright. Looks like one of the 16 or so planted by all my aunts and uncles in the 1940s. I grew up climbing all of them and canning them for fried pie and cobbler.

"fried pie and cobbler" *sigh* Just to die for!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pati

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Oh yeah! Yummy.

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Blooms, what a beautiful tree - and promise of spring.
Beautiful morning, here, got up to 40 degrees. Now 37 and snowing again - not laying though.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

yes, seeds, but when they bloom this early they nearly always get freeze killed... 'tee shirt winters' fool the trees into starting a little too early. Perennials, too, but I just leave their 'fallen leaf mulch' in place. ;-)

Wow. I don't like store apricots and refuse to buy them which means I hardly ever eat them. Best apricots I ever had were in Paris at my elder cousin's table!! How lucky you are, Blooms!!

So just to add variety to the weather report, the SNOW continues here!! We have at least 7-8" since yesterday afternoon. Here's a picture.

Thumbnail by boojum

It's actually quite beautiful and warm enough to tromp around in.

Thumbnail by boojum

It does look pretty, and you have some nice big trees.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.