Seed Snatchin' PartVIII - Still Divin'!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I know the steam has gone out of our seed snatching adventures lately. I don't know about anyone else, but I've been spending a lot of time planting some of these seeds I've snatched, so I haven't been posting much.

However, I don't want you guys to think I've given up the cause. We made a trip to Anchorage yesterday for potting soil, and on the way, up in the mountains, next to the million dollar toilets, was a dumpster! I just had to take a look inside.... ever hopeful. How long does it take to germinate Slurpie cups?

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Did you find anything interesting in there? Slurpie cups sprout very quickly here. We're known as the Slurpie Capital of the World.....lol.
:) Donna

This message was edited Mar 4, 2005 9:49 PM

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Geez Weezingreens, that pic makes me want to move there! Just look at those trees behind you!!!!

Ya, I've been planting and not snatchin' recently. OH and a bunch of other too not gardening related.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I hear you NC, I'm looking forward to the time when I can go on some seed snatching missions, but I've got to grow the plants, let them bloom, then wait for them to go to seed. It's going to be awhile! LOL! That dumpster was right at the highest part of the mountains on the Seward Highway between Seward and Anchorage. It's beautiful up there. Here's a picture of the fine 'facilities' up there, and our rather dirty van. The sun on the mountain behind the toilets was really impressive, but the lack of paper in the toilet was not.

Hey, Donna, I'll trade you some slurpie seeds for seeds for the plastic lids!

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Nope....have to many slurpie seeds already.....lol. Got anything else to trade.....lol!!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Found some beer cans... can I extract hops seeds from those?

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Probably you could. Give it a try! DH is always looking for a beer tree....lol.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I think you've got to use a hops plant, then graft beer to it in order to get a beer tree.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

That's how you do it. Thanks!!!!

Ahhh, a beer tree. I've always wanted to try my hand at grafting. Hmmm, possibilities. I must admit I went to Home Depot's dumpsters in Waukegan. They just received shipments of orchids and a bunch were trashed. I came out empty handed. Turns out they return the trashed orchids for credit to the vendor. Rats, foiled again.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Foiled again, Equil!

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Darn those HD folks! Hey Equil, I am thinking about giving Orchids a shot. I am working the Southern Spring Show (big gardening thing - taking my checkbook!!!) and they always have a ton there. If I liberate one any tips on how not to kill the poor thing?

Tomorrow if I see something I want (note something-not everything) I am going to just BUY it! Every year there is something there I really want but don't get it. Duh - this year I'm goin' fer it! :)

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Well, it's good to hear you didn't plan to just use that checkbook for a place to hide all your cuttings!

Zone 6, OH(Zone 6a)

There ya go! Treat yourself to something you WANT! lol Way too many times I've pasted things up thinking I probably shouldn't spend the money to buy it....then wished I had it later...hehe :)

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

How often do the plows come through to empty that dumpster. LOL
Beautiful view.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

NCG, for years mother and I always went to that show on Sunday afternoon, the exhibitors were knocking down and the display plants can be had from some for very little. Since you're working the show, you should have the best opportunities.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I scored on some Asiatic lily bulbs at Sam's Club... 24 for under $15. I start them in pots in the house and take them out later... got 72 bulbs, so I'll be busy!

Hey NCG, orchid cuttings probably aren't going to work too well for ya so grab the whole plant. Lift out the basket and if you see a lot of green algae/mossie type looking growth in and amongst the potting medium, pick another plant. You'll want to see nice white roots. Go on line and see if you can spot any orchid baskets to get an idea of how they grow best. Err on the side of too little water with an orchid. Basically, I place mine over the sink and water them real good and let them drain before placing them back in their little decorative pots. I use oversized pots and place packing peanuts underneath so that moisture doesn't build up underneath them by elevating the interior basket in which the orchid is actually planted. Orchid roots like a lot of air. My orchids are in a bathroom where there is high humidity and lots of good bright indirect light just like one might expect to find under the canopy of trees in their natural tropical environment. As far as humidity, you can create humidity if you don't have a nice bathroom to grow your plants in yourself. Pick up one of those el cheapo clear vinyl drip trays and fill it with pebbles and water. Set your potted orchid in the middle and that will increase the relative humidity around the plant. Most of the time the planting medium is spent by the time they bloom so if you manage to "acquire" one... go get some orchid bark and horticulture charcoal and create a mix in which to repot your "catch" so it doesn't succumb to root rot or worse. Horticultural charcoal is messy stuff so wear old clothes. Other than that, you should be just fine. Snatch two or three! You'll be addicted in no time flat.

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Ok, folks. I am going to buy meself a whole Orchid! Hee hee.

Oh, I don't think I'm going to have much $$ for that right now because... I kinda snatched something else today... First time in my life I've ever done something crazy like buy something without telling anyone..

OK here it is! Been drooling over this bike for almost a year now and it hasn't sold. Walked in today and said I want it! Husband's out of town currently so he just found out himself. Don't have it in my possession yet b/c it has to be lowered first...

Thumbnail by ncgardenaddict
Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Oh and Equil. As usual you are a wealth of information! Glad you on this here thread with us!

I have a banana tree in my living room with a humidifier under it (I'm a humidifier freak). Do you think an Orchid would grow ON the banana tree? Course the banana gets lost of direct sun too so guess that won't work...

Well, fitted saddle bags with ziplocks for seeds and cuttings? How much extra are those?
Sidney

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

hee hee! Already looked into that! They have saddle bags - now if I'm a Snatchin' no one can catch me! LOL!!!

This is a quick little bike - 100 horsepower I think? Can't remember though..

Dad-burnit girl you better be careful. They can take-off without you. LOL
Sidney

Oh my NCG... is that... a crotch rocket? Can't say as I blame you with the rising cost of gas. That certainly will help decrease our dependency on the Middle East now won't it. Good for you" Vroom vroom! My next car is going to be a hybrid. I can't in good conscience purchase anything else. Sure do wish I had the guts to by a motorcycle though. Saddle bags would be a must.

Now about my, er uh, contributions- I re-read what I wrote to you about orchid roots and typed nice white roots instead of a nice healthy green root. Yes, I'm a rocket scientist- not. Nice green roots is what you want to see in an orchid and nice white roots in a carnivorous plant. Ugh, sorry about that. Anyway, I just ran upstairs to lift out one of my baskets to show you what I meant so you can see the difference. Here's a pic of the roots of an orchid I bought from Home Depot a few months ago of all places. It was one of their $19.99 specials.

Here goes-

Thumbnail by Equilibrium

Oh my gosh, that plant was just flushed with water. No way no how should they be that wet. I let them sit out to drain before I put them back in the decorator posts. Thought I might add that as I looked at the photo and didn't want you to think they are supposed to be that wet. Jeesh, I can't win for losing today. Guess it's a pull one foot out to be able to insert the other kinda day.

Zone 6, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh my God! LOL Cool :) I think that's better than any bike I've even had. Nice :D

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Hee hee hee! Green roots - got it!!!

Yep, crotch rocket - that's me! My husband is a Harley guy but admits this is a cool bike! My last bike was a 250 so it was pretty slow. This one is quite a bit faster. I will be careful I promise!!! I am a careful rider, it's almost like meditating to me. Such a stress relief!

Zone 6, OH(Zone 6a)

That's great. I had plenty of nice rides along back roads in the country...very scenic and peaceful. I'm sure you'll enjoy it a lot. And YES be careful. I recall dodging couches (yes, a couch!) and everything else in the road. Large pot holes are very dangerous too. Oh and gravel on corners...very dangerous. I've had a few close calls. Be careful, but have fun :) :)

This message was edited Mar 5, 2005 6:22 PM

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Oh and hey, Jon thanks for the compliment by the way!!

Oh I do need to confess something to you all. I believe I am as close to you as many of my friends but don't freak that I am telling you ok?

Sidney already knows anyway from an actual up front meeting in which I told her. I am divorcing my husband within the next month or so. He does not know yet. Please don't tell him! HA HA~~~!!!! I know it's not funny, I didn't mean for it to sound that way. I have tried very hard over these last 4+ years but he is not capable of learning how to treat other people. We've done the counseling thing, etc. and he just doesn't get it. In his mind he is right all the time.

By the way, not telling all of you this to put a damper on things! Really. It's just that I DO feel close to all of you and want you to know. Oh, and speaking of stress relief, Kim G. told me to start my tomatoes outside which I am going to do. What a time/stress saver could that be?

Love you all and love talking to you. I am SO glad this thread has lasted so long! It's been a big source of comfort for me. ::)

Nicole

Zone 6, OH(Zone 6a)

wow....I wish you the best of luck and strength in the coming weeks. I'm sure it' going to be tough. Hang in there! :) It's good that you can get some comfort here too. Don't be a stranger :)

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Nicole, you go girl! You sound like a strong, brave and wise person. You do what's right for you!

Pocola, OK(Zone 7a)

NIcole, I'm sorry to hear things didn't turn out the way you wanted them to. We'll be here if you need us.
Sherri

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

:) I know you will!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Hey, NC. Sounds like you've got some life-landscaping to do. I'm glad to hear you tried all avenues to get the communication going before making the decision. My first DH & I divorced 26 years ago, and we both lived in the same town with our respective partners. It's messy while you are dealing with it, but pretty soon the brown patches in the lawn of life fill in. The bus is here whenever you need to get away for awhile. Nothin' like stickin' your head in a dumpster to get on track!

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Carol you have such a way with words! :) Thanks lady. I appreciate that. While my husband's been out of town the dogs and I have been having a blast tearing up the place. :) We just had a bubble chasing party in the living room! You haven't lived until you see a Rottweiler trying to bite bubbles and falling down, etc. trying to get them. I thought I was going to pee on myself! This morning the big dummy (he's afraid of heights) was afraid to jump off the bed! He was in the bedroom just whining and whining. Finally I had to 'talk him down.' He's a born comedian - slapstick that is! I will be OK. Our marriage counsler said so - so it has to be true! LOL!!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I've got some funny stories about our marriage counselor, but I won't go into it here! Yes, you'll both be OK, but it always gets stormier for awhile until the whole thing calms down again and everybody gets on with their lives. DG is all about growing things, but sometimes we talk about the plants that just aren't thriving and how we deal with that. I suppose, no matter how you nurture some things, they just aren't going to make it... sad, but part of the big picture. You're going to have to teach that goofy ol' Rotty of yours to be as brave as you and take the plunge, or he's never going to get off the bed.

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Sometimes he fear of heights does come in handy though. For example, you can put him in the bed of a pickup and he won't jump out! Of course you have to pick him up to get him up there in the first place though. I've never seen such a big baby! Picking up a Rottie is not an easy task either - at least he's not a big one!

Oh, I just realized something. I have hijacked this thread! AHH! I didn't mean to honest!

More Snatchin stories to come. They're my favorite!!!

Nicole

Cape Cod, MA(Zone 7a)

(((Nicole)))
I'm sure your decisions was both painful and liberating. Thanks for letting us know. Sometimes when we get too attached to a plant that's not thriving it can stunt our own growth.
Now it is your time to thrive. :)
best wishes to you and the little guy.
Stay in touch.
Hugs,
Cindy

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks Cindy! It feels weird just blurting it out but I feel better anyway!

:)

She also has a terrific mother that will be there for her.
From personal experience, thats the best.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.