Seed Snatchin' PartVIII - Still Divin'!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I think any self-seeding plant is also an excellent fall or winter sown plant. After all, it's only a matter of who is doing the planting... you or nature. I think the secret to a lovely foxglove bed is to leave it alone. You may need to thin the seedlings and weed, but in the spring and late fall, let nature do its work. Once the foxglove have started to develop true leaves, they can be transplanted easily enough.

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

Cool, cause this paticular bed gets heavy heavy shade when the leaves bloom out on the trees. The reason I picked it to do some testing is its weed free, (for the most part) and I thought it would be a good staging/testing bed for me. I'm even gonna leave a few to see if they were survive the shade, which would be absolutely marvelous to have color there. I'm pretty much tired out on hostas and caladiums in the back yard. So, I may get some timing help here and they may be able to have a home there? This testing is so much fun, especially when you see a success. I checked on my heathers too and they all seem okay, one that looks like it tried to die, has some green in the middle!

Thanks for the info critter, kinda thought along the same lines. Baring those little seedlings seemed a little cruel.

What do you guys call those tall ordinary orange lilies that come up? Are they tiger lilies? (they don't have speckles on them). I have them up in places in the yard now, the peonies are showing a little, the daffodils are blooming, looks like I lost a young azalea, 2 transplanted hydrangeas are showing me they are alive, (one layered itself, the other one I chopped a piece off the original), 2 cleveland pear trees I bought at a flea market for 5.00 each! in tennesee are budding out, (they were looking so sickly last fall/winter I was worried), I'm rambling, can you tell I'm excited about the upcoming spring? :)

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

The folks around Seward call those orange lilies 'Tiger Lilies', but the wild Tiger Lilies I remember in the mid-west had freckles and the petals curled back. I think the orange lilies are close to the Asiatic types, but I'm not sure. I'd be curious to find out.

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

Me too Weezin, they don't curl back like the regular tiger lilies I've seen and no speckles on them. I tried looking them up in the plant files, but came into so MANY lilies and daylilies in my search, it was impossible for me to find one that resembled the ones I have in my yard.

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

I called them tiger lilies although not correct. Plus I had never seen them grow wild in the ditches until I came to IL. I didn't know they were wild at first and one spring managed to hack a very small piece out of a hillside on the Naval Base. Felt very proud I snuck those out of there. Hmmm, that was a qualified seed snatch in 1992. Anyway, I had them in our little 3'x5' front "YARD" in military housing then brought them with us when I built this house. They spent their first 2 years in a similar place near the front door with1/2 day sun. Then I moved the clump that was big enough to split into 3 pieces, down to one of the first beds I did. Whoooeeee, those things may have written the book on 'naturalizing'. So now I've been editing them out for the last 4 years. Like raspberries, you never get them all.

Cape Cod, MA(Zone 7a)

Kathy Check out this link:
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/201/index.html

Cape Cod, MA(Zone 7a)

And then this one:
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1025/index.html

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the links oceangirl, but I don't think its either one of those. I'll have to take a picture of it when it blooms this year and try to get the "proper" name for them. I just call them orange tigerlilies, but I know people are thinking the "speckled" ones, so I always add.. "but they don't have any speckles and they don't curl back". Which btw is another thing I'll say, I'm not real fond of those lilies that curl back like that, ha! Makes me want to tug on their petals and say, "get out here and act right".

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Spring is here at last, the weather is a major blast,
I should be plantin' stead I'm packin'
happens every spring it seems -
This is the last time - I swear - no more of this

Where is the land still reasonably priced? I am ready to move for the last time.

Danbury, NH(Zone 5b)

Hello Dyson,
I would'nt move to the northeast, it is bad here, very expensive.
Linda

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

The house is for sale right next door. I'll mow your grass and clear your snow for 2 years.
How's that?
You can wander in and pick all the raspberries, cherries, apples, pears, nectarines and flowers you want.

Danbury, NH(Zone 5b)

Hello
They all have been for sale around me and sold, for big bucks, at the time.
I think we are golden now......and I love it here...this is home.
Linda

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

The house across the street from me just sold. I haven't seen the new owners yet, its always a scarey time! ha!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Sounds like maybe those orange lilies are an Asiatic lily rather than a Tiger lily.... don't know if that helps with the ID!

Housing is getting pricier everywhere, I think. A year after we bought our home, we would've had a hard time affording its price tag! Sure hope DH's job doesn't change so we have to move..... we're planting trees etc, so definitiely hoping to be here for a long time!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

For about 20 years, I longed for some property of my own to grow things. I used to have dreams of it. When Dennis & I moved into this log house, he built me some flower beds around the foundation. That was about 12 years ago, and now there are beds all over the place! I've reached an age when planting trees are more an issue for posterity than for my own enjoyment!

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Jes bouncin' in .. long enuff, to maybe see if the 'day' lily that kathys999 may be referring to - is this one -?-

These .. are the ones that, I do bleeve .. that most folks call 'ditch lillies' ... because they grow wild here!

But, so far, I'm managing to keep them 'in check' .. and they sure are a mitey purtee addition to the yard!

They do try to spread rather rapidly tho' ...

- Magpye

Thumbnail by Magpye
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Howdy Magpye, we sure have missed you and kinda need a spring planting song.
I am hoping to get some of those lilies here.
Snatched from mothers yard.
Sidney

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

A ditch lily, huh? Not sure I like calling something in my yard a DITCH anything. LOL I suppose I'll live. Thanks Magpye, that surely looks like the flower. But next time can you buff the name up for me?
Like... Sunset over Tuscany Lily? Perhaps... Orange Popsicle Lily? or even Orange Juice Lily? LOL!

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Well Kathy, we can call my colony 'Naval Harbor Sunrise' and I can send you a couple of little pieces soon if you'd like.

It is worrisome with the house for sale. Been on the market since 7/04 and they just changed realtors and dropped the price 10k to 189,900. The future occupants will determine if I move. I'm giving it 6 months after it sells to make up my torn mind.

The Yokohama's are planted as instructed by Farmer's Almanac, yesterday. Made cover for them out of gallon clear plastic container,
to keep birds at bay until germinated.
Some of the nasty seeds Weeze sent are puting on leaves.
I put togeather a whole slew of baskets and planted a neighbors window box.
I'll take pictures today. Sold one small basket yest. Yea! Will frame one of the bills.
Sidney
aka
Ms sow n sew

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Sidney - why don't YOU move up here next to me? You'd almost be close enough to Weez for a driveby-write-your-name-in-the-yard-with-roundup.......

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

LOL! Thanks 8ftbed, but I have a load of those Naval Harbor Sunrise Lilies. I transplanted them in different parts of the yard a couple years ago. I got one bloom last year, suppose they have to readjust from the move.

Hoping my larkspur looks as good as yours did in the picture you posted. How long does that stuff bloom?

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

They dooo like it cool. If you keep them watered and fed they'll keep blooming for quite awhile. I've found they'll start getting bare if it's really hot and you're not watering. You can deadhead/cut back with food and water to extend the blooming part. Deadheading definitely works for here for keeping their mind on blooming and reseeding. With finally a couple of days touching 40 I'm seeing new larspur sprouting.

If you have yours in different places and want to see a cool comparison test, let one place just do what they do with the rain that comes and whatever nutrients are available.

Then the other plant or place, feed and water them like your prized rose and watch the 3-4' bushes you can produce.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

These lilies have been growing in Seward gardens for many years. I've always assumed they were some sort of Asiatic lilies. Every other spring I trade a local gardener Sluggo slug bait for lily bulbs. They're a good seller, hardy, and reproduce.

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Good Grief did I miss a lot! Pretty lilies Weez!! I started some Red Marigolds yesterday. Cross your fingers! I am going to direct seed most of them but I wanted some for trades too!

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

Those are pretty Weezin, like the yellow in them.

I'm gonna hop on over to the lily forum and post to everyone there that 8FTBED has a new and extremely rare lily called the Naval Harvest Sunrise Lily, and he's trying to give it away. LOL, I wouldn't be that mean.

I'm about seeded out, I couldn't believe it last night when I was going through things that I only have a few things left to plant.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Weeze you gotta look up my sis next time you get to Cordova, She could use up some of your extra seed supply!

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

The orange "ditchlilies" we have around here are hemerocallis fulva, AKA tawny daylily. Looks like the pic that magpye posted.
I have some growing in my yard that my DH rescued for me a couple of yrs ago. They are absolutely carefree and bloom their heads off for me. I am gonna try to rescue some more this year- LOL!! They used to grow everywhere around here. With soo much construction going on I want to get all I can while we still have some.

That's a big 10-20 on that berrygirl, they plow alot of beauties away forever. I think there ought to be a law that property ought to be marked for future devistation for at least a month before the dozers come thru.
I will be looking for goodies in NC along the road side off the beaten path.
and in DM's backyard.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Now that I look at my lily picture, I can see it is one that I edited to watercolor effect, but it still represents the flower pretty well. That ditch lily of Magpye's reminds me of a daylily bloom.

Dyson, if I ever get to Cordova, I'd be happy to share seeds with your sister!

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Morning everyone!!!!!!!!!

Guess what I did yesterday! Well, I left work early to pick up my bike - which wasn't ready anyway. Grr.. Should be today though - the battery was dead and they want to double check that it's the battery and not the bike. Can't argue with that!

Anyway, on the way home on I 485 there was this HUGE Cooter (Snapping turtle for you non-Southerners) on his way to crawl into traffic. I am talking 35-40 pounds and his head was bigger than a man's fist. I bet he was 80-100 years old. Anyway, I swerved over and backed up to him. I have a long handled ice scraper (think broom length) that I pushed/pulled and teased him with to get him as far away from the road as I could. Boy was he mad!!! His neck would stretch out of his shell about a foot. I wish I had my camera!!! Let's all cross our fingers that I don't see him smushed on the way home today. Many times when animals get it set in their head they are going somewhere they go regardless. Anyway, kind of a neat experience! Wish I had a camera phone! LOL!

Later Snatchers!!

Nicole

Good job Nicole!!! They do have radar for water or "home", or their egg laying spot.
Artcons, Art, a newby was talking about the good snatching he's done at our big theme parks here in Fla. I wrote and told him to join us, He suggest a supply of zip-locks to bag your snatch.
Sidney

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Wow, NC! Didja say 'Turtleoo!' as he huffed off? LOL! My mom used to catch turtles and cook them up for turtle soup. I'd never eat it, but I bet it was wonderful. She'd stop in the middle of the road, find a stick, let them snap on it, then throw 'em in the trunk! Oops! Not the warm and fuzzy story we were enjoying, is it! Ah, well, she'd never have been able to heft that big old guy into the trunk anyway.

Sometimes in Eastern NC, on the northernmost end of the Okeephenokee (sp?) swamp the 12" cooters will be one after another on a fallen limb sunning. They look like HUGE bumps on a log. When they are like that it's way too humid and sultry for you, Weeze and me too.
Sidney

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

Is there a site that gives seed collecting information? As in when to look for the seeds?

If you tell us what you want, someone on the bus will know.

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

look for seeds when the owners are not home or the employee's backs are turned.

HAHAha

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Hey, Kathy, this is a pretty good site: http://theseedsite.co.uk/ If you have something specific in mind, I'll try to be of help, as well.

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

Thanks Weezin.. thats helpful. With starting so many things this year, I'd like to gather the seeds of course when they produce. Do I assume that they are always in the dead part of the flower? As a general rule, do the seeds produce when the plant is about ready to kick the bucket for the season?

I've never looked for seeds on things, but I want to now. I don't remember seeing anything on my petunias, (for example) and am wondering when I look for them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.