michigan forum

I'm tempted to mention that my brugs, 4 feet tall and in the ground all winter, are already "y-ed" with buds! But, I won't. :-)

dave

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Paul, that sounds a little like, "May the bluebird of happiness fly up your nose."

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Hmmm, I thought it was the bird of paradise that people wished would fly up the nostrils of another.

But then again, that would be a reference to yet another tropical plant. I smell hot tar bubbling....

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm feeling the heat... gotta scram!!

East Lansing, MI(Zone 5a)

Snow drop leaves are showing up in various parts of my garden. Indoors within a lightly heated porch I have a southern tender type of azalea blooming. The azalea is kept on this porch every winter . It bloomed here March 2004. On this very porch I winter over nandina "harbour dwarf"., variegated ivies, tropical ferns, "homestead purple"verbena, "chili chili" pepper and trinidad pepper,
Brown Turkey fig.
I frequently walk my spunky terrior named tina. I am so tired of shoveling this pesky snow. ....My basil plants are coming up strong in my basement apartment . I am longing for spring but I just settle for just a simple sunny day.
Lansing can be so gloomy. Its an excessively cloudy city.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

~~~~~~~~~~~**********~~~~~~~~~~~~

SPLAT -POOOOOOF to ya'll!!!

:)

Golden, CO(Zone 5b)

S'ok, folks. ANYONE can grow stuff when you have 8 or 9 months to do it. It's those of us who have to accomplish the same thing in 3 months that are truly amazing, right?

East Lansing, MI(Zone 5a)

Snow drop leaves are showing up in various parts of my garden. Indoors within a lightly heated porch I have a southern tender red double azalea blooming. The azalea is kept on this porch every winter . It bloomed here March 2004. On this very porch I winter over nandina "harbour dwarf"., variegated ivies,needle palm, tropical ferns, "homestead purple"verbena, "chili chili" pepper ,and "Brown Turkey" fig.

For fun I walk my spunky terrior named tina. I am so tired of shoveling this pesky snow. ....My basil plants are coming up strong in my basement apartment . I am longing for spring but I'll just settle for a simple sunny day.
Lansing can be so gloomy. Its an excessively cloudy city. I don't often take vacation trips. I don't plan on moving to some dreamy climate at the moment.
East Lansing is home for me now. The cloudiness isn't all bad. One advantage of living here is I don't get overly exposed to UV rays. Eleven years ago I had surgery for melanoma skin cancer. Fortunately the ugly face
of cancer hasn't showed up.

This message was edited Feb 25, 2005 10:49 PM

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Hello Ms.Maggiemoo.....I feel so bad for you, and sorry you can not enjoy this wonderful snow we have here in Michigan. The good news is........both Dori and I can walk a few feet to our greenhouses, and enjoy 80 degree temps if we want and still look out at the snow....

Deann

Thumbnail by deann
Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Speaking of birds and that thing they do reminds me of this:

Little birdie in the sky
put some whitewash in my eye
Me no sad,
me no cry.
Me just glad cows don't fly!

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Deann,

Oy!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

The sun is shinning and the snow is sparkling so pretty-ya'll should see it!!!
Its 19 out and a wind chill of 12 and in the GH when I opened the door,whew
it was 110 so off came the coat and hat and boots and the door was left open and what a beautiful day!!! :)
Spring will come!

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

NotMartha.....here we go again....my WeatherBug is telling me we have a real doozie coming tonight.

A STRONG STORM SYSTEM WILL MOVE INTO CNTL LWR MI SUN NIGHT.ALLOWING SNOW TO OVERSPREAD N. MI. THIS SYSTEM WILL SLOWLY MOVE ACROSS LWR MI THROUGH TUESDAY.& MAY RESULT IN THE MOST SIGNIFICANT STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL OF THE SEASON. SNOW WILL DEVELOP SUN NIGHT.WITH PERIODS OF SNOW EXPECTED TO
PERSIST THROUGH TUESDAY. THE SNOW MAY BE HEAVY AT TIMES.RESULTING IN THE POTENTIAL FOR 8 TO 12 INCHES OF SNOW WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS.

Don't put your snow shovel away yet!

Deann

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Yes deann we are preparing for this one. shovels are handy, the s10 still has the plow blade and the snowblower is ready too!! The kids have Monday off anyway for winter break(got that right)but its looking like we may get Tuesday off too!

**on another note(the one that keeps me sane)some of my daylily babies are pushing 3inches now and waiting for others to sprout!!! :) I also planted a few hosta seeds!

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Well, excuse me, but I think this is wonderfully funny that you've started your own "Michigan Forum" right here, and right under Dave's nose.

Perhaps we should all do it here? OK by you, Dave?

There are times, like when trying to plan a round-up or get-togethers where it would be much easier to keeps folks in one place. Has anyone noticed the RU forum lately? It's very hard to stay organized!

Hobart, IN(Zone 5a)

42* and rainy today. Just what I need, more mud! We are having such a problem with the lawn due to the dogs and the long wet season. Any suggestions on how to thicken the turf asap without harming the critters. I am convinced that a thicker lawn will keep the mud at bay but I dont' want use anything that will harm the pups or natures critters. Problems, problems.

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

I think we lucked out here in southern Michigan. I hope so I'm sick of snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tonight: A 30 percent chance of snow after midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a steady temperature around 30. East southeast wind between 9 and 14 mph.

Monday: Occasional snow. Steady temperature around 31. East wind between 3 and 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of around an inch possible.

Monday Night: Occasional snow. Low near 25. Calm wind becoming west southwest between 10 and 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%.

Paul

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

Sat was absolutely gorgeous here in mid Mich - sunny ALL day - temp was cool - 28 deg, but I hauled a chair out in a protected area and just sat there and vegged!! Of course in Mich, nothing lasts - today is is overcast...

Did have a pot of amaranthus sprout after two days!! Planted enough to share with the western side of the state!!LOL Gonna pot up some datura seed this afternoon. Spring is on its way!! but slowwww

Just heard the weather report - winter storm warning starting tomorrow morn - can you believe it - IT"S MARCH for pete's sake....

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

As an Illinoisian transplanted to TX a few years ago, I want to chime in that I think having regional forums is a great idea, and only fair in light of the fact that a Texas forum already exists. I agree that a forum for each state might be difficult to manage, but maybe a "Great Lakes " forum and a "New England" forum and a "Southeast" forum would be beneficial where gardeners can chat about issues specific to the conditions of their areas. Thanks,

Steve

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

SteveFtWorth............We Michiganders like the Great Lakes Forum idea, so we could include the folks from Ohio and Indiana and even Illinois.....But we have to wait to see what Dave thinks and if in-fact its warranted....We are keeping our fingers crossed he agrees with us.....

Deann

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm another Texan voting that you DO get your forum!

Noon weather said "SNOW" for the next 36 - 48 hrs.... "stay tuned tomorrow morn for school closings!!" Roads aren't bad yet, but wait until the wind picks up....If my family wasn't in Mich, I'd be out of here in a sec!!!

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

sarve48......its around 4:20 pm Michigan time, and the snow is starting again.....this will continue through out the night and into the day...and probably no school tomorrow here...that's a given....

Thanks to all your guys for cheering for us for a Great Lakes Forum....

Deann

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Well im not counting my inches till they are on the ground and kids are going to be showering and getting ready for school tomorrow :)

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Bump

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

We ended up with about a foot of snow from that last "blast", but you can always count on good old Michigan weather to throw you a curve .............

Rain this morning and we are once again in Mud Season ........... this can be a good thing, it always comes along before Spring ... unfortunately it sticks around during Spring too. ;-)

This message was edited Mar 7, 2005 3:37 PM

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

Yeah, not only does February rain bring mud, but so does March rain! Boo hoo!

Hobart, IN(Zone 5a)

Yesterday we hit 65*. Today it is almost booger freezing and it's starting to snow. I can't wait for spring.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Well, you did get a taste of spring. It will be back!

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

It got to almost 60 here today going to 15 tonight.
Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Wow did the temps drop fast today. It was warm and rain and now its cold and snowing!!

Its a pretty snow(telling myself this helps keep me sane) ;)

Jerome, MI(Zone 5b)

Lol...Dori...for sure...Takes special people to live here..lol...Everything in the house ...like the seeds are doing great...Our Witch Hazel...is blooming...wowow...so pretty...Snow is almost gone for the minute...still have ice on the lake..though...Hehehe..we watch the people's houses...they are always gone for the winter..soooooooo we have a huge...Geranium Hubby brought back...a bloom....wowowow....Soooooo lovely. Gave me a boost for sure...soooooooooo I hope...soon.

Smiles...spring is coming I can smell it..just do not look..lol... Diana

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

One of my office mates just emailed this to me. Thought you guys might like it.

When it's Winter time in Michigan,
And the gentle breezes blow,
About seventy miles an hour
And it's fifty-two below.
You can tell you're in Michigan
'cause the snow's up to your butt,
And you take a breath of Winter air
And your nose holes both freeze shut.
The weather here is wonderful,
So I guess I'll hang around,
I could NEVER leave Michigan,
My feet are frozen to the ground.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Oh I love it I love it!! LOL

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

That's great!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

More snow on the way for monday n tuesday but then we warm up to 38!!
I hope the temps keep climing to the 40s 50s.....afraid to dream any warmer ;)

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

When 40 degrees seems like a heat wave, we have problems!

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Mid 70's at my house next weekend! LOL

Man, did ya hear about that 84 car crash on 131by Rockford??? What a mess. I drove by it today and was glad I wasn't on the road there yesterday. Has been spitting snow showers all day, supposed to pick up 2 inches tonight. Weatherman said it may not warm up until the END of March =then it better turn to 80's...On a brighter note, I did have six pots of seeds sprout....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.