michigan forum

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Sylvi
Here too, what do they say about well diggers behinds.
:)

Paul

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Sylvia & Paul.... It was cold here too and I am about 60 to 70 miles North of Dori...and gonna get cold again tonight.....I live 3 miles from Lake Huron, and they have a different zone then I do, and 30 miles west of me in West Branch their zone is different then mine also.....

I love the idea of a Great Lakes Forum....and I also love the idea of Round-up. I stopped by Dori's today to pick some stuff up, and we touched on it briefly, and thought a weekend deal would be great. Frankenmuth has lots of motels, and if you bring your families, it could be fun for them as well to see Frankenmuth and have that special Chicken dinner....

Deann

Perry, MI

Hello fellow Michganders!

I vote for the Michigan forum too. From the length of the thread already, I would say its already going on. I hate mud seasons! The driveway tries to steal boots from your feet and the truck is almost buried in the goo trying to get out to go earn a living. Huge muddy dogs sliding across the white kitchen floor. Its thankfully all frozen again til early April.

Yes Michigan is one of the greenest states, and very rich soil here that many other states lack. We also have gorgeous rock for walls and bed edging no other state has the so many colors in their fieldstone. The west side of the state is completely different from the east as the lake effect disappears about halfway across the land mass making the sunrise side colder than the sunset side. Having been a landscape contractor in the city and then switching to being a propagator in the country, I can see a huge difference in climate where there are wide open spaces even in the lower half of the state there are areas that are more like zone 4 than 5 as it is up north. What i could grow in the Detroit suburbs without shelter is different from out here in the open fields and big sky.

It is sad to see our agricultural richness disappearing one subdivision and shopping plaza at a time ;o(
Tammy

Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

Seems like on the gardening forums everybody from MI is from the east side or SE of the state.
Are there any from mid-west Michigan like around Grand Rapids?
Just curious.

Tammy
I agree...our rural areas are quickly becoming the new suburbs. I HATE it!! :((

Jerome, MI(Zone 5b)

hehehe...well...south here...16 miles...down from Jackson...middle for sure..lol.... Michigan International speedway????? race cars...Nasca...??? hehehe 8 miles..away....it is called...Irish hills...lol...just some small bumps..in the land..lol...

Smiles.... Diana

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

NASCAR OMG you said the magic word
Did you see the race today-i thought Jr would win but tony shot out of NOwhere and up to the front-dog gone it!
I guess that means we need JR to win the nascar race tomorrow!
GO # 8!!!!!

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Do we love our great state of MICHIGAN or what!!!

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

ten miles south of Grand Rapids here - suburbs slowly creeping out our way. New highway ended up 2 miles N of us. Can't see it thank goodness!! Winter storm warning today - more crappy weather ahead....Just talked to my mom in Fla and it was 75 deg. sobbbbbb

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

we are getting MAJOR snow here all day-winter storm warning!!!

Same here...we must have 6" of new snow on the ground and its still snowing like crazy! Winter is back!

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

We probably got 1- 1 1/2 " its slowing down now.

Paul

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

we have about 5in of new snow and its snowing to beat the band up here still!
winter is back-all the snow was gone yesterday!!!

luv Michigan

Jerome, MI(Zone 5b)

Got 5 inches....really wet. Now it is raining...cats and dogs...eeeeekkkk...32...could be ice. I hope not..rather have the white stuff....Dori...see who won.? He is cute..but...grrrrrrr.....lol....

Smiles...Diana.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

NO SCHOOL here today we have 7inches and mt pleasant has 12 and alma got 14!!! craziness

send in SPRING!!!!!!

sarv48
My Dad lives over your way but he too is in Florida right now.
Guess we are the only west siders.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

A fairly nasty t-storm (hail, high winds, etc.) is bearing down on us here. Are you *sure* you want "spring" if it means living with the threat of flooding and tornadoes? (*grin*)

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Terry heck ya im sure-ive lived through a tornado or 2 here already! Hope ya'll are safe!
I just want to get outside!! I want SUMMER but spring is a start ;)

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Dh measured this morning and called at noon and said we have 10inches of new snow. I shoveled the walk-and id say that theres 10 or more and its wet and we are making SNOWMEN
its warm 34 and great for packing and tossing
SNOWBALLZ- SPLAT ********************@**************

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Well, I'm pouting. We've had one snowfall of about 8" and then just little spits of 1-2" this winter. The male population is quite disgusted about this. NO snowmobiling - except for 4-5 days after the 8". And I sure wish we had lots more. I wonder how many perennials I'll lose. grrrr! And I do like snowmobiling too but trail riding. Ditches scare me, too easy to hit something and flip. (she speaks of which she knows :(.... )

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

omg im sweating-2 huge snowmen and i shoveled the ice rink!!!!!
whew

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Be careful - that's heart attack snow! ....sure love to go skating with you!

************************@*** SPLAT!
Back at ya from West Michigan! ;))
I am having a lazy Monday...so far I've just been gazing at it from the window. When hubby gets home we will git to shoveling. I like to shovel but I think I will have him dig the 100' path out to the chicken coop.
Glad we have the renewed snow cover back for all my posies....but startin' to get Spring fever.
In the mean time... pass the Godiva! :p

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

We have a lil s10 with a blade for the drive way and on my garden tractor(my inheritance)has a 3ft snowblower-the shovels are for the sidewalk and ice rink!

wow is that a work out-i should do it again tomorrow ;)

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

We don't have any snow on the ground in S. Ohio right now, and we really don't get that much, but, I would love to see a Great Lakes forum... even though we don't get the snow in the southern part, many parts of Ohio have similar growing conditions as Michigan... just here in the southern part of the state, we're lucky enough to be on the fence on a lot of things. But, like you in Michigan, I can't even think about trading anything until at least Mid April if not later.

Hobart, IN(Zone 5a)

It's about freezing here, rainy and of course muddy. I usuallly can't start trading until May either, when the stuff is up enough for me to see what I have. Spring comes late here.

Edited to say that my helleborus have buds on them, woohoooo!

This message was edited Feb 21, 2005 7:54 PM

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

here is the boys lil rink! what a work out shoveling!!

Thumbnail by notmartha
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

here is dh making a path to the mailbox and its also the path to the bus!

Thumbnail by notmartha
East Lansing, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks gang for all the lovely feedback! There is beauty in the eyes of everyone contributing. I myself am a creative landscape contractor., who likes
to use all classifications of plants....tropicals, subtropicals, annuals perennials, trees and shrubs.... but I do make educated selections that most likely to grow within my particular area within the country. Every year I seem to bring new plants to clients landscapes.

Hobart, IN(Zone 5a)

What do you guys have coming up? My hellebores have buds on them and my butterbur bloomed under the snow in January! I need to go outside to see what else is coming up but I keep putting it off. Where it's not muddy, it's spongy.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

all i have coming up right now is 10in of snow and more on the way!

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

My rhododendron buds are looking fat. I saw some tops of tulips (I think) before the snow buried them again. I saw just the tips of a few crocus. I can't get to the part of the yard that has the forsythia to check that-too muddy.

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Dori beat me, we've only have about 6" of snow left.

Paul

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh, my! I can't bear to think of all your lovely plants under so much snow!

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

GRRRR! Ms. MaggieMoo-that's not nice! You're just teasing us! LOL!

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

No, really! I do feel badly about your snow. Those of us who don't have to live with it often have romanticized visions of snow. I lived for several yrs as a child in Aurora, CO, and loved the snow... but then, I didn't have to deal with it, I just played in it! I find myself every winter wishing I could go someplace to be in the middle of snow - I have all kinds of snow scenes on my screensaver. But then I hear from my fellow gardeners about everything you have to go through to deal with it, and about what you have to do for your plants...

I really do feel for you! I'm sure you wouldn't trade places for the world, but still I know you're dealing with a lot.

Y'all *know* she's saying that as she basks in the warm sunshine of southern Texas (lolol.)

Watch out maggie.....notmartha's got a big tarpot and a basket full of feathers. She usually cranks up the fire under that pot about this time every year when some Cajun or Texan (or Floridian) makes any mention of the vast climatic differences between the north and south ;o)

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Please, PLEASE have mercy on me (as I adjust the sunglasses, sip some lemonade, and inhale the wonderful Carolina Jasmine scent)!!

Oh yeah, also the birds are chirping, the bees are buzzing, and God's little creatures are gathering around for our afternoon chat while soft pastoral music wafts through the air....
:-)

This message was edited Feb 25, 2005 3:10 PM

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

May the birds that are chirping drop something on your head as they fly over.
:)

*snort*

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.