Spring Dreaming #3

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Okay--the old thread Spring Dreaming # 2 is so full of lovely peeks at irises that it's getting hard to load. http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/473042/

Time to add more pictures as Iris season is only a few months away....

Rave On is a lovely ruffled orange that I love to grow.

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers
Moerkerke_Damme, Belgium(Zone 7b)

Good to know, starlight1153
I just know what to do ;-)

Margie, i wonder do you got a sort of bookhold from all the plants you got?
Thanks for the info about Argle Acres too.

Thanks Wanda, thread was getting long again.

(Sue) South Central, IA(Zone 5a)

'Now and Later' was a beauty who put on a July show for me! Guess I'll have to wait awhile if I want to see her again this year.

Thumbnail by llilyfan
Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

You are welcome woodspirit 1! Think I'll have to have some of their's also!

I like Artic Fury for it's early IB appearance (2-3 weeks prior to TBs) and the snowy blooms that last & last .

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

Nice pictures, ladies, I am enjoying the pretty picture show!

Arden (Asheville), NC(Zone 7a)

Near the end of Spring Dreaming #2 there was a mention of Argyle Acres.

I ordered from them this past year and was very well satisfied with what I received. I bought a recent "Space Age" introduction by Christopherson and a few others including an historic for which I had been looking for some time. They listed it!-- Schortman's PATIENCE. Years ago it had been one of my favorite irises.

To my knowledge there has never been another along the same lines. My "purple-magenta-rose" breeding project is aimed at coming up with an iris in modern dress that has the unique color and texture of Patience. I've made some very good progress in that direction. Here's a photo of one of the seedlings from the project. It is # R 30-5 from (Swingtown x Romantic Evening) X Vienna Waltz. This color is not exactly accurate, but does indicate the direction I'm headed.

A photo of this one has previously been posted to Iris-photos, so it may already be familiar to some of you.

Neil Mogensen

Thumbnail by nmogens
Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Neil, that is a beauty!

Maxine

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i found some photos i didnt lose!!! yahoooooooo

http://community.webshots.com/user/notmartha

notmartha, nice pics! ;-)

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

Nice Pictures, notmartha! I am glad that you did not lose them all.

Neil, that is gorgeous!

Yes Neil, i agree on that just like Starr

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

Hello John, I haven't seen you much lately... where ya been hiding?

I'm not hiding Starr, i'm all over the place, maybe i was bussy with this tread i started :http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/481355/

notmartha--your gardens are beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Dori,
Your gardens are breathtaking! I didn't know you had a greenhouse. What a lucky gal! When do you expect the first tourists to start showing up?
Terrie

Neil, the color of your iris is outstanding! Does it have a good bud count?

Arden (Asheville), NC(Zone 7a)

Wandasflowers, that was a blossom from the maiden bloom of the seedling. Branching and bud count are very difficult to evaluate on new seedlings, as are over-all finish and quality. If it bloomed this past year I missed it. But I have kept the entire cross, and hope they all bloom this season. Then I'll know better what I have.

Another cross from a sibling to the mother of this one also crossed with Vienna Waltz had three bloom this past season, despite too deep shade for good growth. I'm hoping others will bloom this year, despite very slow growth. I need to move the entire group out into the rare sun-filled ground I have available to see what I have. I expect there will be others along this line.

Another cross, from the pollen of the mother of the pictured seedling used on LOTUS LAND produced a whole row of rich red-violets, a couple orange to red bearded yellows, one bitone with lace, a band of rose around orchid standards, red-violet falls and a BLUE beard of all things (the seedling parent has a blue beard). Unfortunately the form was awful on that seedling in its maiden bloom. That cross also remains in place. Some of the seedlings were glorious. Here's one my grandson, Sean, is inspecting, probably for bugs.

Neil Mogensen

Thumbnail by nmogens
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

thanks for all the comments! I was in the GH today and it was 97!! i had to open the door every now and then-but it sure was a change from the 20 degrees!!!
As you can see my addiction grows bigger every yr! :)

Simply lovely iris! Makes me long for Spring & my garden...

I will loose my mind with all those irises, i bought myself ' Night Owl ' while i was doing shopping at the groserystore. I thought "i need this more than food now" LOL

Philadelphia, PA

John
I can relate to you. I think we would all rather have irises then food. LOL

Mit

LOL

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Heck, the food wil only last an hour or two but an Iris can sustain you with beauty for years and years. : )

That just what i thought too, funny i'm not the only one thinking that way. My daughter was asking can se eat irises too like the daylilyflowers your always mixing throug the salad?
My son said , no daddy this will not fit in your garden so you just have to put it back! He was treating my like a child LOL

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Ahhhhhhhhhh how cute and precious. hehehehe : )

Beauty vs food? A hard choice!

Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

Wanda is this Going My Way?

No, it's not Hooked!!! Because it's going my way first, LOL

Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

LOL, that's okay John! If it's Going My Way, I already have it! If it lives!
Bonnie

Nope. Steppin Out backed up by historic Color Carnival.

Alluring was so beautiful last Spring that it broke my heart when it finished blooming.

Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

John I guess we are both wrong!

think we have to kidnap her DH and ask for all her irises as ransom, LOL

Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

LOL!!
Sounds like she has LOTS of beautiful iris and daylilies!
John, you better start your list!!

ROFLOL, starting right now hooked.

Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

I don't need a list! I'll just take one of everything!!Or maybe two!!
I better get the heat lamps out and melt this snow! Sounds like I have a lot of planting!

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

Heads Up, Wanda! More poachers comin'...

Hey, Hooked and John, we was first in line... we have poachin' shovels at the ready and are waiting for sub artic temps to subside a bit... can't dig in a freezer... and another thing, you have to bribe Walker... but he is easily bought off... ;)

Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

John, maybe Brittany could entertain Walker while we make off with the goods!

Thumbnail by hooked

Good idea you will be an exellent kidnapper, lol

Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

I'm afraid we live a little to far from IA.! I think fsr333 will still get there first. Maybe if we are very nice to her, she'll share with us!
PRETTY PLEASE!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.