Irises: Spring Dreaming #3, 1 by nmogens

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright nmogens

In reply to: Spring Dreaming #3

Forum: Irises

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Spring Dreaming #3
nmogens wrote:
Wandasflowers, that was a blossom from the maiden bloom of the seedling. Branching and bud count are very difficult to evaluate on new seedlings, as are over-all finish and quality. If it bloomed this past year I missed it. But I have kept the entire cross, and hope they all bloom this season. Then I'll know better what I have.

Another cross from a sibling to the mother of this one also crossed with Vienna Waltz had three bloom this past season, despite too deep shade for good growth. I'm hoping others will bloom this year, despite very slow growth. I need to move the entire group out into the rare sun-filled ground I have available to see what I have. I expect there will be others along this line.

Another cross, from the pollen of the mother of the pictured seedling used on LOTUS LAND produced a whole row of rich red-violets, a couple orange to red bearded yellows, one bitone with lace, a band of rose around orchid standards, red-violet falls and a BLUE beard of all things (the seedling parent has a blue beard). Unfortunately the form was awful on that seedling in its maiden bloom. That cross also remains in place. Some of the seedlings were glorious. Here's one my grandson, Sean, is inspecting, probably for bugs.

Neil Mogensen