Seed Snatching Mission

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Reclamation, not stealing... we are liberating plants in bondage, we are enriching bloodlines, we are expressing appreciation by procreation... well, you get the idea!

I'll go look for some dahlia seeds in my tote and get back here later.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Well, tomorrow I will take the dog for a walk by the stranger's home (as many times as it takes for me to "spot" someone outside!). I will, of course, have my camera on me and make a BIG production out of photgraphing their little beauties. Then, once I have their attention - I will BEG! (PekeBoo runs around on his back legs, too, so between the 2 of us begging, how could they possibly say no to a little deadheading???)

If all goes well, I will have phots and seeds to share tomorrow!

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Sequee - now I have heard the ultimate seed snatching story??? Great Idea!! How long did it take for you to teach him to beg for seeds?? Does he have doggie size envelopes? Be sure to take pictures of him snatching!!! - lol lol

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

You guys are too funny!! The only problem with my little project is this poor guy knows little about gardening.. Hopefully I won't end up with poison ivy seeds!! You should see his house though - OH MY G____ ! It looks like a bed and breakfast! It's on an acre and a half and the house is gigantic! I am thinking - don't we work for the same company?? HMMM... Maybe his wife is the one bringing in the bucks!

These Dianthus are the grey foliage ones with lavender blooms, don't know their names but they are beautiful.. Once again I had no plans for Dianthus for next year but OH WELLLLL..!

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I couldn't wait!

Thumbnail by Sequee
Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Another shot - isn't this guy gorgeous??? See those wasted flower heads? Now you see them - now THEY don't! Now I just have to determine if there's seeds in them!

This message was edited Oct 22, 2004 6:06 PM

Thumbnail by Sequee
Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

That looks like a rose Sequee!! BYW - no guilt now for me, I am at home and baby is away with Sesame Steet Live! HEE HEE

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

They do look like roses until you get up close. I'm not a big rose fan, though, but I love these!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

You know, I always take pictures of the plants I snatch from so I can add the picture on my packets. Of course, you have to allow for hybrid plants and for cross pollination. Do you think the neighbors would mind if we transplanted some of the choicer plants to isolate them? In some cases, they probably wouldn't even notice. Not all people with gardens are gardeners, you know.

Merced, CA(Zone 9a)

A friend of mine got stuck helping me package seeds one day, then returned with an entire box load of red bud tree seed pods she "happened" to find. Any one want any? Pleeeease?

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Sure, ladyannne... I'd love some. Check my tradelist or let me know what you might be looking for....WZ

Merced, CA(Zone 9a)

Bless you, bless you. lolol...will do but trade really isn't necessary! : )

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

This is one of the very best/funniest threads the website has to offer, but ya'll just can't go on talking about sending each other seeds, cause if you do I'm going to have to quit this thread... it is just too tempting. . Snatching is great, sending is just too much. Seeds are my weakness!!

Don't offer and should I ask, Just Tell Me "NO"!!

Judy

Merced, CA(Zone 9a)

How do you type a quiet muffled noise coming from the corner? Nope. Not gonna offer. But I do have to go and take my daughter over for her walkathon, and it just so happens we will go right by the Civic Auditorium where I observed some seeding deep pink crepe myrtle the other day.

In very small, quiet letters, completely invisible to Judy, "Any one want some?"

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

I think most of you have seen the Just Say No thread I started over in Plant Trading, but if not here's the link.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/463505/

Merced, CA(Zone 9a)

Judy, I have a few extra grow lights you could use. For under your bed?

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the offer but I'm trying to quit. OK let's hear some more funny stories!!!!

Ya'll let's just suppose I take up this snatching thing, where can I send the seeds right quick before bringing them home. You know straight to the post office .... "snatch and mail".

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

27 Saw Mill Road
Lake Carmel NY 10512

I will SO take care of it for U!!!!!

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

If I do, you'll sure get them!!!! What if it won't grow up there? Are you the Seed Bank? lol lol

Pocola, OK(Zone 7a)

She will have lots to trade with then.

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Hee hee Sequee!!! That address looks a bit familar??? Maybe it's just my mind...

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

What? That ole thang??? (lol!!!)

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

You and I should have our own site! LOL!! You kill me!! You are on and reply more than anyone I have seen so far!! You win!! I cry Uncle!!

Nicole

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I think we must have very similar tastes - I always find you on threads that interest me!

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Hee hee! Me too! No wonder you are one of the first folks I traded with!! I think.... it be gettin so blurry now... LOL

NIcole

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

i thought it was me been in closet for years.i was just a shy seed snatchers .free at last well tell some one turns me in for public nuisances

Pocola, OK(Zone 7a)

I've noticed the same thing. The same people seem to be in the same forums most of the time. Sometimes I'll go check out some of the other forums not on my regular list and wonder "who is that"? But it's obvious that they have been there awhile by the sign up date on their username.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

When I say my prayers at night, it's - God bless Mommy and Daddy in heaven, and my sisters, relatives and friends, and the DG'ers...and please help NC not get fired...oh, yes - dear lord - DITTO FOR ME!

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

I think so too Sherri! Which is kinda weird b/c I do not choose my threads by who I have traded with or by how long they have been here! hmmm... too late for me to formulate thoughts on this...

Pocola, OK(Zone 7a)

ROFLOL NICOLE.............IT IS TIME FOR YOU TO GO TO BED.

I am going to turn my computer off! I am going to turn my computer off! I am going to turn my computer off!

Do you have to work in the morning?

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Boy have I missed a good forum, it took me awhile to read from the top but this is great but now if I can just learn the tricks of the trade, I just can't never figure out where all them little seeds are hiding. I have been looking around town and wishing I could snatch a few now I know I am not alone...I just started saving the seeds that I can find that show themselves so freely but so many I haven't a clue where to find them..

And another question I just wondering where do you store your seeds and do all seeds store the same, I have mine in a box just under my counter but was wondering if I should be storing them in the refrig or someplace else. Seems like all I have is questions no matter where I go, I sure hope you all don't get tired of answering them for me, I know my programmer son gets so irritated with me after trying to explain over and over how to update out website..

And I totally loved the poem on the red hats...My brother has been giving me a hard time for my birthday and sent me an article from Athens where he lives where the red hat ladies have their annual meeting and thought I should join...He's such a trip..

Thanks again you all are so great

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

NO!! I do NOT have to go to work in the AM!!! YAAAA!!!!

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Welcome to our addiction VSW...

NC - are we doing the "leave the computer on DG standby and check it out every time we pass by" tomorrow??? I have the contractors coming out tomorrow - ostensibly to finish the dormer - rally to kidnap PekeBoo.

And..I WILL finish mowing and rakng tomorrow - I REALLY will...

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Good Night All You Crazy Snatchers!!!!! You have lightened my burden by making me laugh. For that, you deserve a place in Heaven!!!

Judy

This message was edited Oct 23, 2004 12:05 AM

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks Sequee and Me neither NC two mornings to sleep in before school starts back on mon..):
And maybe I can get some more gardening done but had to go to the doctor today with a upper respiratory infection and he told me to rest!!! I have to much to do to rest........And when you work around kids all day and they come to school sick I am the one that gets it..

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Hee hee! My boy will be with granny most of the day!!

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Uh-oh, NC - we are ao in trouble! At least with the contractors here I'll have to appear busy!

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

I don't want to clean my house! I must though....

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

OK seed Snatchers! I saw something else I want to snatch yesterday on my foray to my co-workers.. Banana Trees! They are in the landscaped entrance to a development. They are the red/green streaked kind-can't remember their names.. I am thinking the landscapers are probably just going to pull them up and throw them out soon? You don't think they would save them for next summer do you? NO I am not going to steal them - I know what you are thinking.. I could either get a baby or try to find out who will be digging them up. hmmmm I have to think this one out - but quick b/c they are bound to pull them up soon.

Nicole

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Nicole... can't you come up with some heart-wrenching story about how much these banana trees mean to you... a memorial garden for you dear departed spider monkey 'Jacko'... he so loved bananas! OK, maybe that's just to tacky...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.