Seed Snatching Mission

San Jose, CA(Zone 9b)

Too funny! My name is Angela and I am a cleptobotanic. This time of year I am never without little envelopes cruising the outdoor malls, and friends and families yards.

If you've ever been a parent, you might remember what it's like when people come to see the new baby. They head straight for the kid, don't even say "hi" to you! Well, that's me when I go to the person's house whose seeds I covet - a little small talk then I start edging my way towards the garden! Of course, they're not surprised!

Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

ncgardenaddict - I'd love a couple of cotton seeds if you have extras. I want to grow it for my kids. We moved to MS from NY and we are all fascinated by the cotton fields near the gulf coast at Christmas time. I made my DH stop the car to try and pull a little bit off to look at, but the roadside ditch looked a little deep and swampy to dare to jump over - it never occurred to me I could have got some seeds...
On another note - this thread gave me the courage to go and steal 4 huge garbage bags of pinestraw from our neighbourhood club grounds... I must admit I did ask first, and did all the raking and bagging myself, but I thought it was a big step forward for me. I am usually pathologically honest :>) In spring it cost $7 a bale!
Natasha

Merced, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi Angela! Hello to SJ, too, my stomping grounds. I know this one well, the first place I take most of my friends is outside! Why does your opening statement sound like we should all be at a meeting? Cleptobotonics Anonymous.

Cotton here has been picked and the fields have been disced. It's still up and around there?

Pocola, OK(Zone 7a)

Yeah, but the difference is that we don't feel the need to quit. Just to support and encourage each other in our cleptobotanic madness and to figure out the best ways to do it. LOL We admit we have it, just don't see it as a problem.

Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Cotton was still in the fields between Xmas and New Year on the Gulf Coast last year - I don't know if that is normal or not??
Natasha

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

I feel the need to quit ... collecting seeds that is, I haven't started snatching yet, but that's saving them. Yes, that's right!! lol lol

Pocola, OK(Zone 7a)

hhhhhm, methinks the bug will bite again before spring.

San Jose, CA(Zone 9b)

Exactly Cherislife ~it is an addiction (seed collecting) and we're not afarid to use it. I have only recently started picking seeds publicly and then I'm concientious about it being in public landscaped areas. The kind of places that pull the plants at the end of their prime (even perennials) and stick new stuff in each season.

I work in a hotel and I always hang around when it's time to "refresh" the landscaping...."you're not gonna throw those away are you?"...has earned some nice plants and I get excited when the orchids drop their blooms 'cause I know when the fresh ones come in, I get to take the faded ones home. You know, they just throw them away otherwise! Plant abuse ~inexcusable!!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Yes, the unwanted perennials! It always pays to ask if they plan to throw them out... tuberous begonias, dahlias, dianthus... I've rescued them all!

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Hey Natasha! I certainly will give you some seeds! I am in the process of sprouting a few right now (started last night) to see if they are worth sending out or not! I am going to put you on my trade tracker so I don't forget! If I get results will e-mail you and you can send me an SASE!

By the way all - I have been spending entirely too much time on here lately (see what time it is?-can't sleep.) Esp at work. I have decided to restrict myself to first thing when I get there, then at lunch. That's it! I mean it. I am going to get myself fired or at least written up.

One more question - anyone snatch vinca (the annual) seeds? If so where are the little buggers? I want some and can't see where the seeds are supposed to be! DUH!

Nicole

Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Nicole! How on earth do you get up for work in the morning after messing around 'til the wee hours on the computer??

Merced, CA(Zone 9a)

Nicole, I would be more than happy to send you some vinca....major, minor, how much? Never have seen seeds. Whoops, annual? What annual?

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

Periwinkle, NC? There are little seed pods that look like bean pods. Look for them lower on the flower stalk. I have only noticed them when they are green, though they are supposed to brown up.

Merced, CA(Zone 9a)

Golly gee, so much I don't notice. Maybe I have too many? Running out to check my vinca!

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

LOL. I did not notice them either until someone else asked where they were. It was a Duh moment for me when I saw them. I was suprised I had not seen them before.

Merced, CA(Zone 9a)

That has happened so many times this year. I was saying I had not seen a seed on my agapantha, a visitor said, "Like that one?" and pointed out a seed I had not seen! Besides being embarrassed, I was delighted! Even then, I forget to inspect!

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Natasha, I didn't go back to sleep! I just went down and took a shower etc.. - have to be up around 5 anyway.. UCK!

Ladyannne and Sweezel - it's the annual one - I have had periwinkle but it's a little too high maintence for me. My Vinca (minor?) always reseed themselves - they have the little white (they come if different colors) flower that are swirly looking. I pulled them all up Tues. OH, I think I have a pic!! OK - this is a pic of a coneflower but look at the little white flower in the bottom left corner...

Nicole

Thumbnail by ncgardenaddict
McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

Actually Vinca minor and major are perennials. The ones I am talking about are annuals. Is this it: http://davesgarden.com/pdb/go/185/index.html

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

That'd be da one Sweezel! Thanks!

Now where are those darn seeds?

NIcole

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

Cool! Glad I could clear it up.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

I need for ya'll to tell me more snatching adventures to make me chuckle!!!

Merced, CA(Zone 9a)

I had a doctor appointment this morning, and had to wait 20 minutes for a shot to take affect. I asked the girls for an envelope and harvested a whole bunch of deep purple crepe myrtle from their yard. Then there was this other plant, a neat, compact little bush, no one knew what it was but it had ripe berry type seeds. My pockets are full!!

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

loooooooooooooooooool

A true seed snatching treasure!!!!

Way To Go!!!!

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I do that at my neighbor Dee's house all the time. But, "achem" I have permission, lol!

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Having permission is cheating Karrie....No Fair! LOL

Merced, CA(Zone 9a)

Permission. Hmmm....does knocking on the door and after getting no answer, grab the seeds anyway count?

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

I think that counts :-)

Merced, CA(Zone 9a)

Whew.....tee hee!

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Hey Carol! You'd be proud of me!!! Went to a co-workers at lunch today to try to give him some ideas about what to do with his yard. He had some Dianthus and I snatched some seeds! Problem is I want more!! I am sending him home with an envelope to get more...

Hee hee!

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Now she's recruiting other people to "snatch seeds". What you want to bet he ends up bring her more than just the Dianthus seeds, maybe he'll snatch from his neighbor's yard!!! lol lol

This message was edited Oct 22, 2004 2:20 PM

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Weezingreens did you get my 'member' mail regarding Devil's Club seeds?

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Sure did, rikerbear. I hired someone to help me with the heavy work around here the last few days, so I haven't been online as much. I answered your mail today.

NC, I have to say, you've taken seed snatching to a whole new level. We just walk up to people's doors with envelopes and ask them to steal their own seeds for us! LOL! I think we could take this one step further by tagging the plants and attaching the bags with a collection date and our phone numbers! Maybe we could give them some 'pick of the litter' offer to make it more appealing.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Thanks Weeze....sorry to have been a pest :-0

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Kind of like "Trick or Treat" for plantaholics! I like it! One of my not too near neighbors (who I've never met) has the most gorgeous Dahlias. Do the dead flowers become seed like marigolds?

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Weeze - way too funny!!!!

Judy

Merced, CA(Zone 9a)

Sequee, I tried that to no avail. Maybe I did something wrong or the seeds were not viable?

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Not all dahlias produce seeds....but those that do, yes the seeds are produced on the flower heads.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Sequee, I think that the seeds form behind the petals, but I'm not sure what it takes for them to form and mature. I believe it takes a lot longer season than we have up here. I have grown dahlia from seed, but I can't recall exactly what they looked like. As I recall, they were black and crescent shaped, but I could be mistaken.

Merced, CA(Zone 9a)

Weez, one of my newest projects is that when ever I buy seeds I save ONE for future reference, especially the non-obvious ones. Wish I had saved one from the original Dahlia purchase and I could answer this.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

I took a jade plant cutting and an agave pup from plants at work. A couple years later, they totally remodeled that building and took out all of the plants.

There were neglected irises growing in a courtyard at work. I was planning on pulling one up some time when no one was around but the opportunity never arose. Eventually they remodeled the courtyard and took out all of the plants, so I lost out on that one.

A house up on the next street was empty and up for sale. There was an Agave attenuata growing in the strip between the sidewalk and the street, so one day I snatched a pup. After the house was sold, the new owners removed the agave.

I don't think I am learning the right lesson here about stealing. ;-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.