more humblebumble jumble

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Wonderful tongue-in-cheek emulation, ZoneDenial... gave us all a smile!

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

OK....THAT made my day!!!

Back to gardening.......

Blooms/Darius on your Powis Castle have you ever pruned them? I did this Spring (2 plants from last year) as they were bare twigs and boy was that ever a mistake!!! They are now stunted silly looking things. I'm hoping in about 3 yrs they might be back to the size they were last year! I learn a lot of things the hard way in my gardens. LOL

Brenda, I always cut mine back to green wood in late spring. I never had any that did well after 3-5 years, though... no matter what I did to them.

Thumbnail by darius
Cape May Court House, NJ(Zone 7a)

sorry this was a double post!!!!

This message was edited Aug 26, 2004 12:11 AM

Cape May Court House, NJ(Zone 7a)

OMG the boy has REALLY LOST IT!!!!!!!!!

I am glad to see that DON is never alone.....................

Norman your Reflecting Pond is beautiful, you should really add it to the DG photo contest!!!!!!!!! LOL

Hey Badseed, I am eating jalapeno popper's with cream cheese. My monitor was totalled!!!!!

sue

This message was edited Aug 26, 2004 12:17 AM

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Brenda, mine was new last year. It froze back to the ground and has come back twice as big as last year.

and 'spin has had a Powis in the same spot for years and years - it spread to an easy eight foot in length and she kept it cut to about a three foot width to allow for the pathway. Of course that's southern Cal where it's never really winter.
She really butchered it to a fare thee well this spring and I've no idea how it's recovering... but it was a remarkable size. ~'spin!~ you listenin? how's it doing?

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Well the only thing I can figure is that mine are in too wet of an area. It's stays pretty damp in the location my two are in except in cases of extreme drought (which we are NOT having by any means this year!). Hmmmmmm......wonder how extensive the root system is after nearly 2 years? I'd hate to dig up and lose them.

Brenda, I suspect what got mine was almost no drainage in heavy clay soil.

When I pulled out the roots after 3-4 years, they were a root areal about 14" across and not as deep.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Darius. Maybe I'll dig one and see how it goes. One is doing worse than the other so I'll make it the guinea pig.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

zonedenial, To be continued, to try to get to the bottom of his many personalities. Donna

Pocola, OK(Zone 7a)

zonedenial (love that name, by the way) It looks like y'all have just worked your little tails off to get this beautiful garden looking the way it does. My my, it looks like your neighbors think so too. They are walking all through your backyard looking at everything. A little bold, if you ask me. *sniff*

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

That's what the stop sign was for, but people just make their own rules anymore; that sunken garden is right next to my conservatory,too... oh, I really should post some pictures of my house,too...
Don

Pleasant Grove, UT(Zone 6a)

Oooh! I can only imagine what your house looks like! LOL And I really love all your homemade signs! They're all so quaint, especially the red hexagon.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

You guys are killing me!

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Don or is it Norman :-).........would love to see your house and some more gardening pictures......send me whoever is helping you because I am busting my bud and not getting anywhere...hahaha,
Brigitte

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

i to was wondering about your house .. do all you brothers live together or married ??anyone single..??the petunias are so lovely.. i would like some of your signs are they high ??where do you buy them..?well bye don, dan norman or??

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

"Anyone single?" Recommend you stay away from that bunch.

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Imway2dumb...you're right on...there isn't a "single" one in the bunch! LOL
~julie~

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Oh. Its (they're) expotential, then!

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

having gotten to meet one of the many zonedenials in person! I must say I wouldn't have guessed that he had all of those other people inside him!!! He is very slender I can't imagine where they all fit!!!!

I must also tell you that his gardens are even lovlier than the pics he showed you!!!! He is being very modest!!!!

Wandasflowers got a chance to view them for herself and was awestruck by them!!!

So Zone what is your response to those who know!!!!!!!haha

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

"Oh. Its (they're) expotential, then!" imway2, I think you got the message! :-)
~julie~

Hey Don, dan, dave, homer, norman and anyone else at your house that's listening (GRIN) I'll have to find out where Iowa City is and drop in sometime. I'm sure *one* of your multiples would like to talk gardening.

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Well, I guess it's back to reality... even adding city park didn't really make my garden look like HumbleBumble's (or is it JumbleBumble?) There's just me, three cats, and my cute and cuddly wife, Liz, around here... though it would be nice to have several people out working in the garden while I'm eating nachos on the deck! There are times, though, when the sun is just right, and if you squint your eyes so you don't see the weeds, when my garden does look pretty nice. A cold beer in your hand helps. Julie if you get to I.C., by all means stop in. Do you follow the Badgers football team? The game is in Iowa City this year and isn't quite a sellout yet, but getting close. Now get your eyes all squinty... this picture is for real.
Don

Thumbnail by zonedenial
Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Don, that is beautiful! Show us more!
Terrie

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

WOW Don..............how BEAUTIFUL!
Brigitte

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

Believe me it only gets better!!!
Don show them a photo of your gate, as I remember I thought it was absolutely wonderful!

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Wow! And, no *!@#&*$ lawn!

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

I've shown this before, but this is the main front gate (there are 5 gates into the garden, as the whole thing has to be fenced in, due to the dear deer. These gates were made for us as a gift by a friend who is a mason by trade and very handy (you should see HIS garden; three acres in the middle of town with all kinds of walls, gates, trellises, etc. that he made himself. You can't get a piece of paper in between his wall blocks). A few years ago his wife developed breast cancer, and so they had a long winter pretty much staying at home while she went through chemo., and so he started making things for the garden in his basement workshop. This was the first gate he'd made. His wife is fine now, and we call these the Sunshine Gates.
With that I'm off to New Orleans for the weekend... why I'm heading South when it's so hot and drippy here you could cut the air with a knife, is a GOOD question.
Don

Thumbnail by zonedenial
Clearfield, PA(Zone 5a)

Very nice!!!!!!!!!!!

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Ohhhhh Don...that garden is gorgeous...and positively LOVE that gate. I might have to talk my DH and sons into making something like that for me. Of course, that would AFTER they put up the STOCKADE privacy fence between me and my "neighbor!" (My neighbor just happens to be my youngest son...and I'm always teasing him about about the "people" that hang out next...and those NOISEY cars, motorcycles and other VROOOOM VROOOOMS.) (BIG GRIN! I LOVE my kids! AND my grandkids...just wish I hadn't made it possible for ALL of us to live on 5 acres. hahahaha)

Thanks for the laughs, Don...lots of fun!

~julie~
(not really a Badgers fan...they don't skate do they? :-D)

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Again, no lawn! "Love the wild look!" No signs? Ha, ha.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Well, zonedenial, hope you have a great time in LA. My oldest son lives in Baton Rouge, but I don't visit this time of year. Show us more pictures of your garden when you get back home. Love your gate. My near neighbor made my Frog gate for me. I've posted it somewhere. Donna

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

O.K., back in town again, and not to stretch this thread totally beyond recognition, but you wanted more REAL garden pictures: I never think this garden looks like anything in pictures, because #1 I'm a lousy photographer, and #2 the garden is infiltrated into a hilly woodland, with winding trails that only reveal little snippets of the garden at a time. I don't know if you're familiar with the Yellow Book garden tours in England; 3,500 gardens all over the country that are open to the public one day each year, with the proceeds going to charity. The requirement for inclusion is that your garden must provide at least 55 minutes of interest for a reasonably sophisticated gardener; I always laugh that this garden would qualify just in that it would take 55 minutes just to find your way back to the house, regardless of whether you ever saw a flower. Anyway, here's some pictures roughly in order of season.First, daffodils in Spring:
Don

Thumbnail by zonedenial
Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Some Rhody and Azalea pictures:

Thumbnail by zonedenial
Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

More of same:

Thumbnail by zonedenial
Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

And more:

Thumbnail by zonedenial
Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)