more humblebumble jumble

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

humblejumble,WOW! I love the mix you are using but can't identify all the plants. I need something differnt since I got mad & pulled all the wimpy cannas out & I'm tired of asters.
Please tell me the plant names of pics #1, #4, #5. I can see they are full sun & beautiful! I need something new & it looks like you're on the right track!

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Yes, Marie, PLEASE do tell us the names of your plants. Not sure I can get many to grow in my zone (4b) but I'd love to try.

Wanda, just a note on the canna situation. Most of mine (the ones that didn't ROT in the ground) are blooming in spite of the water problem we had. AND I'm amazed at the poor little dwarfs that bloomed on stems less than a foot tall...can you believe THAT?

~julie~

Heber Springs, AR(Zone 7b)

Wanda and Julie--- I went back and edited the photos to add the names of the flowers in the pictures. If you would like some of these I would more than happily send you some in a couple of weeks. Feel free to ask!!!!! Thanks for the comments ladies. My humblejumble! Marie

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Wow, Marie...those White Liatris is one I'm going to have to order. I bought a few (a dozen or so) purple ones from a srping special somewhere...I've never grown them before, and I love the way they've grown for me. Absolutely NO special attention whatsoever. Now if those make it through the winter like they're supposed to, I plan on getting HUGE bunches of them next year. And since I really need something relatively tall and white, I really appreciate you telling us what was in those pictures!

Thanks another "million!"
~julie~

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Don't know what happened to my earlier post.

Marie and Debby, love your gardens. i too garden that way except i think mine is even more jungly as i planted shrubs in the borders and now am having a hard time keeping them to a manageable size Will send a couple of photos of my garden a little earlier in the year. Have 5 or 6 albums of 200 to 300 photos each that i have taken here at this place in the past nine years. have that many albums from my other place also. Donna This is Pizzatica papaver with Crambe in background.

Thumbnail by rutholive
Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

This is Pink Ruffles papaver with Thalictrum in background. Donna

Thumbnail by rutholive
Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Rutholive,
Love your shrubs as a backdrop! I wish I had the room to do that--then I would have the darn chain link fence covered!
I can't prononunce some of the names--but I love the blooms!

Marie, Thank you for the names in your combo photos. It's given me some great inspiration. You must have a HUGE garden area to have such a profusion of cultivars. Lucky You!

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Donna your pink ruffles papaver is so beautiful. Do you know if that is also known as lettuce poppies? I have been reading books by Tasha Tudor (Thanks Terry) and she refers to her lettuce poppies. Seems like these are very similar to me. :-D

more pictures from the garden....

ooops hit the wrong button....

Thumbnail by thehumblebumble

more....

then this one

look at this one...

another view...

another one...

and the last one...

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Marie and Debby. Thanks for sharing your gardens with us. I'm glad to know others garden like me. I want one of everything while my sis-in-law wants groupings to look landscaped. Anyway, looking good, girlies!!

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Absolutely beautiful, Marie. One thing I love about gardening like that is weeds don't have a chance!

trunnels--weeds do not stand a chance in my garden! Marie

Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

Rutholive: Your gardens are always so lovely. They are like looking at an oasis and with the mountains in the background just sets them all off.
Sue_WA: Rutholives pink ruffles papaver are oriental poppies a perennial. They are really strikingly beautiful.

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Dang it! Wouldn't ya know I don't have time to read all the new posts again...I'll have to bookmark it and come back later when I can REALLY comment. :-D

~julie~

julie--- if you like red....

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

I was trying to LEAVE the forums! LOL

Gaillardia??? (I'm not sure) They are GORGEOUS!
Now I *have* to go back to my DH...I think he broke his jaw yesterday and is TOO d&#M stubborn to get it X-rayed! :-{

~julie~
I *will* be back! LOL

Julie it is Helenium-- Red and Gold is the common name! I love it and so do the flutterblys!

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Marie said this "weeds do not stand a chance in my garden"
My reply is "Nope...she turns them into FLOWERS!!!" :-D

I have to ask, in the first picture that shows the Helenium, what is the little yeelow flower to the right side? I want BOTH of them. hehehehe (Can you move closer to me so you could help pick out plants for MY "sand box"? )

I love the pics Marie...fabulous!

~julie~
(I told you I'd be back... ;-) )

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Marie - any chance we can get a wide shot of the gardens to see how they fit together (or not since it is a "jumble"). LOL! I'm so curious to see a panaromic view of the whole thing. Fabulous plantings! You should be running the local botanical garden!!! I noticed a little fence in one of the picks...do you have any other "garden art". It's all so well put together!

Looks like lots of wildflowers in your gardens - assuming because of the rocky soil? They must love it! That's the look I'm wanting to create in a couple of the beds I have in the backyard. It backs up to some empty county property and the wildflowers will fit the landscape perfectly. Do you save any seeds? Would you be willing to do seeds for SASE on the Helenium?

Brenda

Julie--- that is another helenium, the solid yellow one right? I would love to save you some seeds. Here I am working hard in my garden!

will have seeds of these also! These are my favorite Rudbeckia.

here Birdy Birdy!

Who let the geese out?

and the last one for today- Hope you enjoy! Marie

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

LOL...at the pic of "you" working in the garden. My son lives lives directly behind our house (practically in my garden, if you will) and when he goes outside his normal greeting is "HI Cutie! ...there's another BLUE MUSHROOM growing in your garden...better get that *thing* outta there! (Blue mushroom is my blue jeaned behind up in the air, again. :-D)

Marie, I'm so enjoying your pics. I'd appreciate you saving *any* seeds for me that you think would survive living in zone 4. I definitely want the Helenium (both varieties, if I could get them.)

Oh...and I'm *still* trying to figure out if I got any Joe-Pye weed when out on my excursion w/DGD the other day. I've spent a lot of time in my wild flower reference books, on the DG-pdb and back and forth with my photos. I think I got some Ironweed and a few other "beauties". I can't belive that last night I was *dreaming* about flower gardens and "rescueing" plants from total neglect! LOL & LOL!

Now, it's out to the yard for a few hours...TTYL

~julie~

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Marie, I just love your pictures. I agree that you should show us a panaromic view! I love the picture of the Rudbeckia -- it is so perfect that it looks like a painting instead of the real thing! I have a new bed so if you have tons of seeds and willing to let go of some of them, I would be so grateful!

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Marie- I need to get some of those Rudbeckia with the red centers!! Do you know the name of that cultivar? There is a pic I saw on a British website with some like that called "Golden Jubilee" but they are not available in the US. Those are very similar to them and I'd love to know the name?

Did you see my question about the helenium seeds?

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Marie, your favorite rudbeckia is gorgeous. If you have any extra seeds, I would love some. I have several things I need to harvest so my list is sadly out of date. Are you looking for anything?

Again, thanks for sharing your lovely gardens.
Brenda

langbr-- surely I will have enough seeds of the helenium for everyone!

plantnutz-- I am not picky as to what I like to sow. The only requirement is that is make it on its own! hahaha I don't have alot of time to baby things along unless it is just fantastic then well ...... Marie

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Marie - Do you have Baptisia australis (false indigo) or Cleome (spider flower)? I have seeds of these as well as some other perennial and annuals. Take a look at my trade list and let me know if you see anything.

http://davesgarden.com/tl/langbr/index.html

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Marie, would still like to see a panaromic view of your garden if you can get some pictures like that! Would you email me your address so that I can send a sase? I don't have anything to trade yet but should have seeds of a few things in the fall!

trunnels-- I don't have a digital camera but I am trying to get a friends so I can take some pictures of the whole garden. Marie

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Marie- Is there anything on my seed list you'd like? Also, will you have seeds of the Rudbeckia with the red center?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.