(89 votes, 68%)
Red dot

Nothing to get excited about; we'll still have a lot of too-short days
(16 votes, 12%)
Red dot

I'm neutral; it doesn't matter either way
(9 votes, 6%)
Red dot

I'm on the opposite side of the equator - no shortest day here!
(2 votes, 1%)
Red dot

Other? (But you gotta tell us what other means to you!)
(14 votes, 10%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

We will gain about 1 minute a day of daylight from now until June 20th. That means an extra 30 minutes or so each month, an extra hour every 2 months. It will take a while to be able to tell much if any difference. On June 20th the cycle will reverse and we will lose a minute a day.

Honor, MI(Zone 5b)

I'm neutral...I really enjoy winter time. I like the cozy feeling of winter: fire in the wood stove, hot bubble baths, bundling up and walking in the moonlight...and we seem to spend more time doing things like playing cards, board games, singing and listening to my huband play piano. Those are things we don't do much of when there is more daylight because we are outside doing things. So while I love the idea of being able to be outside more when it's lighter longer, I really enjoy the winter months with its long hours of nightime, too.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I have a place marked on my dining room window for the fartherest point South that the sun sets at. This is a great day for me! Headed back in the other direction!

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I like the four seasons, but winter actually started here some time ago. We had a few nights of 12 to 14 degrees above zero, before the middle of Nov. So I am ready for the days to get longer. Must start making out my seed orders as soon as Christmas is over. Donna

Temple, GA(Zone 7b)

As soon as the New Year is over I'm ready for Spring!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, Traci S

I am just jumping up and down. I made it through another depressing decline of sun. Now, everyday I get to watch the sun come up and go down and look at the clock and know that the days are getting longer and longer. I also get excited because it will be soon time to plant those little seeds again and make my huge window GREEN, GREEN, GREEN....YES.

Spring Hill, FL(Zone 9a)

I try to mentally recite this Psalm each morning.
"This is the day that the Lord hath made;we will rejoice and be glad in it."
At my age the only thing too short about the days is the number likely to be left to me.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I agree with kikisdad. I am rejoicing each and every day that the Lord makes for us.

I'm also looking forward to seeing what my yard looks like in daylight again. It's dark when I leave in the morning and dark when I return. The only chance I get a glimps of it is weekends when I fill all the birdfeeders. It's not a pretty sight I'm afraid. I need to start looking at the catalogs coming in too. This new landscaping needs some serious help.

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil(Zone 11)

Between the tropics, there´s little difference between the shortest and longest days of the year.

Sioux City, IA(Zone 4b)

I like snow in the winter, wouldn't want to live somewhere without it, but don't like the short days. Knowing each day is a bit longer gives me a little perk, but come Feburary I'll be pineing for anything green. Feburary has to be about as dreary as it can get here, unless there is snow cover everything looks absolutely dirty.

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

Other??? ok......I have always enjoyed tucking my body into a cocoon, sort of like, a bear doing his or her thing for a while! Out come all the throws in our house, the 1st day of Dec. Our grand-daughters are enamoured with these blankets! Making a fire, for one is wonderful! Now, honestly, the white stuff can stay up on our mountains. But the special significance in this family is our DILaw's birthday.....her arrival on this earth, this day...... has made our Son's life complete and ours, and she will be mommy of twins in early March!......but really, I do love the longer days ahead! Season's Greetings to all!.....Elaine

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Here along the 45th parallel it is getting light about 7am and dark about 4:45pm. Our daylight here increases by several minutes a day but I couldn't find a chart to tell me how much. About 4 or 5 minutes I think. Not too bad, I just looked up Anchorage Alaska, they get about 5 1/2 hours of light at this time of year. Local sunrise in Anchorage is about 10:15am. Be thankful!

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

This is the longest night of the year, but the earliest sunset is around December 5 and the latest sunrise is around January 5. So, if the amount of daylight in the evening is more important to you than when the sun rises, the days are already appearing to get longer.

For an explanation of why this is, see
[HYPERLINK@members.aol.com]

Stockton, MO(Zone 6b)

I notice that most of us garden types are optimists, " look on the bright side"
I love to see the seasons change, each one has something special about it. Winter is warm wood stove fires, and cosey warm clothes and blankets, and a drawing in toward home for the family. Have a Blessed Holiday!

Citrus Heights, CA(Zone 9b)

Yes! We are all opimists.we have a love of living things.To see things grow and to be beautiful fills the void that otherwise would be there.Seasons change with the scenery.I still can't wait for spring!

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Whether light or dark it matters not there are 24 hours each day. So spend them wisely and waste them not and do not let them fritter away. There's time for work and time for rest and time for family and friends and time for me to get back to my chores before this day comes to an end.

Happy Holidays !

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

if I remember right from my visits to Belize the sun sets at either 5pm or 6pm depending on each season's extreme or summat like that

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Sometimes I bless them cause I can rest and other times I curse them cause there is so much to do. So they are both good and bad and of course they will get longer again. But they will also get shorter again to.........LOL
Dee

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

I sort of like early darkness. It would bother me if there was something to actually be done outdoors this time of year.
In the growing season I would like 24 hours of light! Well maybe not 24 but close.

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

I marked other because it is sooo long before I notice much daylight difference AND the time after the shortest day is the coldest time of the year and my critters seem to think they need food and water even on those really cold days. Give me the first of March and I am happy again.

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

Same here, looking forward to middle of March, when my orders can be shipped to me and I can start planting again.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I am with JoanJ - I can't wait to see my home in the day time again. I'm glad the spring bulbs take care of themselves! By the time they are blooming in full force, I'll be getting home before dark... until then, I will just have to battle the dandelions on the weekends!

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

its the thought and the reality of those extra minutes of daylite that make the really cold months of January and February bearable. Here it is several minutes on each end of the day starting in January - very noticeable and I am definitely a creature of circadian rhythym - a true aries.

we gain a minute a day too.

Dec 21st 8:48 am 3:59 pm
Dec 22nd 8:48 am 4:00 pm

here are our January sunrise and sunset times. half an hour in the morning and 50 minutes in the evening by the end of January.

Date Sunrise Sunset
1st 8:50 am 4:08 pm
7th 8:47 am 4:16 pm
14th 8:42 am 4:27 pm
21st 8:34 am 4:40 pm
28th 8:23 am 4:54 pm
31st 8:18 am 5:00 pm

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

What I would prefer is shorter days in the summer when the weather is so hot, and longer days now, when the weather is pleasant. Alas, it doesn't work that way.

Newport News, VA(Zone 7a)

My My My...
Is it ME or do all the days seem
to be the shortest...
There seems to be never enough
time in the day, NO MATTER what the
calendar says...
Happy New Year

Seward, AK

Here in Seward, Alaska the daylight hours are about 5 at this time, but remember we have 19 hours of daylight in June so at that time we can literally see things grow inches overnight! And the Northern Lights, words are not enough!

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I like long days! What can I say? I'm a gardener! I also like getting off work at 5:00 and being able to find the key hole to without scratching up my car! :)

Reno, NV(Zone 6a)

What with recovering from a cold, the Christmas rush and my in-laws visiting for the last week, who has time to worry about that. I agree with "Deller", the days are never long enough no matter what time of year or what else is going on.

Los Altos, CA

Here 40 miles south of San Francisco (zone 10a) I'm in my subtropical garden 365 days or nights of the year and I wouldn't have it any other way except for longing for those late evening sunsets in the late Spring/early Summer and daylight savings time which I wish remained in place all year. Imagine a 6pm sunset instead of 5pm this time of year. It's a bit chilly tonight but I think I'll take a stroll through my garden anyhow. Happy New Year.

Here in what we call the deep south, our weather isn't very cold. We can get a bit chilly though. But if the temp. drops to say 20f before daylight by 10 am it's in the 40s. I love all seasons except maybe the extream heat and humitity of July and August. Zone 8- S.C.

when I was last in Louisiana during Feb I was in a T shirt and shorts but the locals were wrapped up against the cold

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

I said "Other" It's my reminder that I have about 45 days to finalize decisions on what seeds to start and start my germination schedule/plan.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.