Looking for blooms when most everything is dormant
(5 votes, 2%)
Red dot

Other?
(22 votes, 12%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

I voted other because it's all of the above!

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

I get anxious to eat the fruits of our labor.....:)

Mercer, PA(Zone 5a)

Dea; I also voted other for the same reason as you! ;~)

TC...

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

The design phase is my favorite part of gardening, since I do more flower gardening than veggie gardening. I get to research what plants might go in the new bed, decide how to lay it all out, then go buy and install my new babies. It's outdoor "nesting"--"nesting" is one of my VERY favoritest things :>

Jacksonville, IL(Zone 5a)

Those were hard choices I agree! I chose the new plant one because since I'm relatively new to gardening, especially flowers, that I am always looking for perennials to plant.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I chose savoring the first bloom or ripe vegetable. I look forward to that first ripe tomato and stand right there in the garden and eat it while it's still warm from the sunshine. Yum!

I used to think I would love planning and making new beds, but since that's all I've done this summer I'm tired of it and not all that happy with what I've done.

Next year, I'll be looking forward to planting all these new beds though.

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Nothing is more interesting than growing newer plants! Of course, savouring the first bloom is a great thrill and also planning new ideas and trading come close to my choice here. But had to go for the second one.

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

You Kidding Me??? Choose??? not hardly ;-))

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Other! The best part of gardening is the total relaxation that comes at the end of a day that was spent in the garden.There is no better nights sleep for me than after a long afternoon weeding and deadheading or pruning, digging beds or moving plants about. And no more relaxing way to begin a day than to sit in the garden and listen to the birds while sipping that first cup of coffee or tea. Even a rainy morning is best started with a hot cup while sitting on the covered patio and watching the rain fall on the garden. A nice long ,hot bath will soothe the body but the garden soothes th heart and soul.

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

You know what Confucius said? Hope someome completes the lines. Few more are there. Here are two I remember.

Marry, and you will be happy for a week.
Have a garden, and you will be happy for ever.

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

You said it all Zany.....

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Other, because, yep, it's all of the above AND sitting and feeling "my" garden breathing around me. Of course, you can't do that if you haven't done the rest!

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Now, c'mon y'all - everybody agrees that all aspects of gardening can be enjoyable. But deep down in each of us, there's gotta be one task that you enjoy more than the others ;o) I'm waiting for the brave soul who's willing to admit their favorite part is getting everything cleaned up and "done" in the fall!

Timberlea, NS(Zone 6a)

Okay, I chose other because I was thinking "all of the above", but when I did a little soul searching, I realised that I LOVE the planning part. It's just that I get too caught up in "planning", and don't do enough "planting". I love planning anything--but I can't seem to push myself into the "doing" often enough!

Santa Rosa, CA(Zone 9a)

All of it!

Stockton, MO(Zone 6b)

I voted other 'cause I couldn't chose just one. I love planting the seeds, and nurturing the little seedlings along in the greenhouse. But I love setting out the little plants when the weather warms. And I love seeing the beautiful flowers, and enjoying the vegetables. I love just sitting on the deck and breathing in all the beauty and peace around me.

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

I choose the first flower. It's that moment when you can sit back and say, 'ah, it lives!'

East Barre, VT(Zone 4a)

Absolutely the first flower or vegetable. When I picked the first tomato out of the first garden I ever planted, I made everyone around me admire it before I ate it and didn't share. I can't quite figure out how to explain the thrill I get from just "viewing" my garden, but it satisfies something at the very bottom of my soul. The act of creation? The sharing of color and beauty? Don't know, but it's real for me.

Silver Lake, OH(Zone 5b)

I chose the first flower but it's also a delight when all the work is done and everything is put to its place and all is well and you can drive up to your house and it looks like somebody really, really cares and worked their butt off to make it just so.

:)

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Terry, you got me. No, I'm not the one who enjoys putting the garden to bed, but I am a "process" person. My greatest enjoyment is in all of the processes that take place in making and maintaining a garden. Product is lovely, but don't slow me down with freezing and canning, etc. Let me keep going with all the wonderful things that keep you busy (and dirty) in the garden.

Champaign, IL(Zone 5a)

"other" I like to deadhead, it's a form meditation and complete relaxation for me.

Princeton, IL(Zone 5a)

I voted other because I enjoy the surprises that show up. For instance, I bought some bare root daylily "Strawberry Candy" with the leaves cut off to 3 inches and ready to go dormant. Wouldn't you know that it put out buds and bloomed way after it should have! I sure love the "good" unexpected!

LimeyLisa Kay

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

the first flower and the first fruit indicate I have done part of it right so far. The garden thing is relaxing for me after commuting 100 miles to work and back. sugar and mary the welfare cats often follow me around as I do my thing as do two golden retrivers who stay out of the flowers and garden with out fences. I love to watch it grow and produce outrageously. It keeps me in touch with myself. My garden is a gift garden I eat little and give lots away. How many tomatoes can two people eat anyway? I have thirty five plants and that many peppers and on and on and on. It's all good the greenhouse is a great place to hang out in on sunny winter days, even been known to nap there ha, and best of all of it. There isn't a phone or tv there. once in a while I even run the tiller barefoot just to feel the dirt between my toes, reminds me of a long time ago. Good thing I have sandy loam.
So there you have it and no my garden is not perfect but there is always next year.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

my favorite part is taking a wee seed planting it and seeing it bloom. to me it is a miracle and i am awed that nature and god can put all that in one tiny little package. then i am awed that i had a helping hand in creating it too.

I am interested in keeping my garden (back yard) healthy, and avoid (as much as possible) animal eating plants, insects, etc.. What's eating my plants??

Sioux City, IA(Zone 4b)

I have to say, seeing the first bloom or ripe veggie (have to drag the husband out there to see it don't ya know). As a new gardener all the rest is a bit intimidating.

Cleveland, OH(Zone 5b)

All of the above!

Hammonton, NJ(Zone 6b)

The best part of gardening is sitting in a comfortable, warm chair with a bunch of seed cataloges....while it is still cold and wintery outside! Then watching for the seed delivery and starting the seedlings under a gro-lite.

Now, THAT'S FUN !!!!!

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Actually all of the above. But I marked Planning as that is something I can do in the winter when I can't do things outside. I do enjoy the winter in the greenhouse tending the plants. The nice humidity and warmth when it is cold outside. Planting seeds and seeing them grow, envisioning the blooms, etc. Donna

Franklin, LA(Zone 9a)

I hate to admit that I enjoy planning most of all. I love digging in the dirt, planting things, tending to them - if I didn't, I wouldn't enjoy the planning.

I love to do the research, choosing the perfect plants, arranging them in my head and on my computer, discarding some, finding new ones, trying out new things. There are so many angles to cover, it's like building a three dimensional puzzle but the image isn't finished until the puzzle is. Does that make sense?

The truth is it's so hard to move from planning to doing because once I start doing, I feel a bit confined. When I'm planning, anything is possible. Once I'm doing, I'm more or less confined to the plans I made and the plants I've obtained. Once I've built that curvey corner bed, I can't just change my mind and build a formal rectangular bed, instead. So long as I'm planning I can change everything at any time.

But that feeling doesn't last long and soon I'm enjoying digging in the dirt, eyeing another area that needs a little planning ...

Cheri'

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Well, I like the planning and the new plants, but I LOVE having most of my things up in my greenhouse and I can go up there in January when it is cold and snow on the ground and I have green things and blooming things. It makes me happy and calm to go up there when things are less than ideal here on the farm and just water and prune, and talk to the plants. :>)

Dallas, TX

DEBI_Z
springfield MA
Zone 6a

You have hit the nail on the very head.
I use the same words in thinking of the miracle which is a seed. Some are so tiny, like dust, and what wonders come from them.

suxpoutso

Honor, MI(Zone 5b)

I said planning...because long about January or February, when there is about three feet of snow on the ground here in Northern Michigan, I love curl up in my favorite chair in front of the wood stove, get out my plant catalogs and gaze at all the possibilities. I actually cut them out, place them on a large sheet of white paper and decide what will go where. It reminds me of my childhood days when I couldn't wait for my mom to get her McCall's in the mail so I could cut out the Betsy McCall paper doll and try on all the outfits!!
But, to be honest, my very favorite part of gardening is sitting out on my garden bench at sunset on a warm summer evening with the birds singing and butterflies floating about and looking in wonder at what is blooming, and what is yet to come.

This message was edited Sep 18, 2003 7:31 PM

Kalispell, MT(Zone 5a)

I chose savoring the first bloom or ripe vegetable. Our winters are long and cold; the older I get, the longer and colder they seem to be. When I see that brave little flower, the Glory of the Snow, bloom the end of February or beginning of March, I know spring is just around the corner. That little flower gives me so much anticipation! With the whole gardening season just ahead, my mind's eye begins to "see" all my gardens in full bloom. That's when my fingers just itch to get dirty and the anticipation truly begins! It may be blooming in the snow, but it sends me a message I wait all winter to receive; it's time to renew myself, just as the gardens renew themselves.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

weedpatch79, I couldn't have said it any better myself. That first flower does get us jumpstarted again after the long, cold winter.

Welcome to DG!

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I voted 'Planning new beds or landscape ideas' because in my mind, it emcompasses ALL the rest. I can imagine searching for the new plants, starting the seedlings, transplanting them, the first bud, flower or fruit, enjoying them for the season, mulching, weeding and putting them to bed at the end of the season.

Hims, Syria

I voted 'Searching for new plants ...' because i'm always anxious to something new especially in gardening, and it is so much charming to sit back and watch your new plant growing, then blooming ... just sit back and say : Oh'my God how beautiful, how wonderful is this .

Independence, MO(Zone 5a)

i said weeding the garden....because i know my flowers look over at the weeds and think " boy if i could pluck you out of my space i would do it" so since they cant i do!
It relaxes me too

Blue Springs, MO(Zone 5b)

I voted other cuz I just like to stroll thru, weeding, deadheading, discovering something new EVERY time!! The Mystery of it all!!!!! :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.