looking for mimosa tree seeds (pods)

near....Warren, OH(Zone 5a)

I am looking for someone with mimosa trees, who is willing to share a few good seeds. We recently moved back to Ohio from NC, and we miss our mimiosa trees......
Tanks,
jishro

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

This message was edited May 6, 2008 4:46 PM

Brooklet, GA(Zone 8a)

you have mail

"down the Shore", NJ(Zone 7a)

Evert, Albizzia julibrissin, what we call Mimosa tree. John

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

I have never seen one but Lenjo shared a baby one with me this year. I can hardly wait for it to grow up. Pictures are really wonderful of it.

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

Lani... check this url to see flowers and leaf form, be sure to click the photo for enlarge view ... http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=Albizzia+julibrissin

Thank You folks.....jcf is going to send me some mimosa (Albizzia julibrissin) seeds.....I can't wait to get them germinated!!! jishro

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

Will mimosa be hardy in a zone that far north?

This message was edited May 6, 2008 4:46 PM

Aimee.... Yes, I've seen Mimosa trees growing along the Ohio River.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I saw one north of Harrisburg PA,I wanted to steal some seeds from it...

jishro, the seeds will need to be sown outdoors to germinate; they have a cold requirement. They also resent transplanting, having a taproot. John

Maben, MS(Zone 7b)

CC and jishro if you will remind me in the spring I will send you a couple mimosa plants.
Ruth

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

In my personal experience, the white flowered does not do well here, but the pink flowered rosea is definately hardy.

Badseed, you mean there are actually white flowered ones where you live? I planted seeds from the ONE tree with white flowers, according to J. L. Hudson, about 17 years ago and it NEVER bloomed. I now have 3 more white-flowered ones which are coming along nicely. Would LOVE to see them bloom. The pink ones are so beautiful, and much hardier than 'they' say. John

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

crapemyrtles.com Here is an excellent site with cold hardy crapemyrtles of all colors and different types. I have lots of seeds on my trees here but would be too cold there. They will send you a free book is you give them your E-mail address.

I have a coffee can full of seed if anyone cares for any.

This message was edited Sunday, Nov 17th 3:06 PM

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

I have transplanted many dozens of mimosas, with total success. You do have to do it while they are young, as in the first year or two at the latest. Keep them really well watered but well drained until they start to put on new top growth. As usual, I recommend watering in the new transplant with Medina soil activator to reduce any chance of shock. In Louisiana, mine grew about 4' the first year, then slowed a bit but not a lot. In four years, they were taller than the roof. Here in Texas, with the searing heat and widely varying weather, it's not as predictable.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I had no clue there were white ones,but I would love to see if I could get a pink one to survive up here...

The one I saw in Pine Grove,PA ,just gets me some strange looks,its growing next to a truckstop,and the drivers are all looking at me weird in the first place,but when I kinda walk in the guys yard where its growing,to see it and the flowers up close....well.thats just not something truck drivers do...male or female.......LOL

tarogers, I can grow crepe myrtles here, but they die back to the ground most winters, then regrow about 3 or 4 feet from the roots and bloom in the late fall. A little farther south in NJ they grow as trees and look amazing.

Thanks MaVie, I meant to say that I had never seen one in person that I know of. I sure hope this little one makes it.

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Until lately I did not know how many different colors, types and sizes they had. Take a look crapemyrtles.com and you will be ammazed. I defently want want want ♫ some of the mini and ground cover varities ♫.

I cut and pasted the Hyperlink but did not work. crapemyrtles.com Thanks Evert!!

This message was edited Sunday, Nov 17th 2:43 PM

This message was edited Sunday, Nov 17th 2:49 PM

http://www.crapemyrtles.com

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

They grow wild here. I have several that I can get next spring if any one wants.

So somebody answer me a question. Are crape myrtles and mimosa related?

Absolutely not. And I was wondering how we got into crape myrtles here also!!! John

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

My fault guess my record jumped track HA HA. Must be my age.

LOL I was getting so confused. I was wondering if turning 50 had made my brain into mush. I guess I will go eat some mush now to keep reminding my brain that that is where it is headed so hang on tight for a LOONNNNGGGGGG time.

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

A note about hardiness in the North -- In New York City, there was a pink mimosa I passed often and looked forward to its blooms every year. Also, down lower Lafayette Street, the city planted crape myrtles along a couple of blocks. They were relatively small (6-10'), but grew and bloomed each year.

NYC is, on the other hand, an unusual, artificial microclimate, 10-15 degrees warmer than surrounding areas in winter. The temperature is raised by the concentration of heated buildings.

We have a few volunteer mimosas (pink) on the property here that I have to take up. The initial arching stems are perhaps 2.5-3.5' long. I wouldn't mind trying to get them up with enough roots for transplant. Anyone interested could gain a couple of years on seed.

The seed do have a hard casing that is usually weakened in the digestive tracts of birds (which is how they reached our property when there are no mimosa trees for miles). I haven't tried growing mimosas, but in every other case in which I have encountered this, the easy solution was nicking (I use nail clippers) and soaking the seeds. I would do it in the spring, or now, if they can be raised indoors or in a heated greenhouse. I wouldn't expect new seedlings to survive a hard winter outdoors.

By the way, does anyone have fresh Mimosa pudica/Sensitivity Plant seeds they can share? I have a request for a lot of plants, but I only have a few seeds that are several years old and not eager to germinate.

I've been away from Dave's for a few years due to health, but I am happy to report that one of the seeds that "jcf" was kind enough to send is now a 15' tree with a trunk diameter of nearly 6". It bloomed heavily last year (2007) and produced many seed pods which I have potted for germination and plan to transplant as soon as they are big enough. I am including a picture from last year (2007). THANK YOU SO MUCH "JCF" WE ARE VERY HAPPY WITH OUR MIMOSA!

Thumbnail by jishro
Springfield, IL(Zone 5b)

MMM. I love mimosas.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

We had them in La. They also grow wild here in Ky. I have never thought to save any seed pods. I'll have to try and remember to do that.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Our mimosa tree bloomed beautifully last year! Winter winds threw seed pods all over the yard and garden and scattered the seeds within... I have little doubt that I will be finding lots of little seedlings this summer!

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

I love this plant. Reminds me of my childhood. We had one across the street from us and we use to climb this tree all the time. I read that in Georgia, it is considered "invasive". Also, from the building where I use to work, there is a HUMONGOUS Mimosa tree. It is probably very very old. The trunk of this mimosa tree is huge! They are building a subdivision there now and the tree is still there.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i had one at my old house and had to cut it down after like 13 years being there as it started to rot from the inside out. nurseryman said it was from a wound the tree got long ago and just rotted from the inside out. now at my new place seedlings in my old plant pots are everywhere.

haven had one bloom yet but cant wait.

Atkinson, NH(Zone 5a)

I just received some white and pink mimosa seed pods and I would be willing to share a few.

Liza

Büllingen, Belgium(Zone 6b)

JWLW, can you tell me the botanical name, so I can see it is hardy in my zone?

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I did not know there was a white variety. I would like to see a pic of that.

Atkinson, NH(Zone 5a)

Sorry but I received these seeds from a swap...they are from Kentucky..All the lady said was White and Pink Mimosa...I live in NH and I doubt they would make it up here...There is a Mimosa the "Helen Keller" but I haven't been able to find one...it does live in Zone 5.

Brunswick, GA(Zone 9a)

I harvested some Mimosa seed pods last year and zip locked them in a baggie. After a couple of weeks i was about to plant the seeds and noticed that they had holes bored in them by small black beetles. It was the first time it ever happened. So now i take them out of the pod and inspect each seed before storing. Just wondering if anyone else has this problem. Maybe i need to dust them with an insecticide ?
Thanks,

Larry

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I've had similar problems with hollyhock seeds (some sort of weevil, I think).

I've never harvested the seeds from mine, but I get plenty of cute little seedlings. You can tell they're not the dominant weed in my garden, since they're still "cute." :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.