Hoya, any one ?

Valley Village, CA

I have just been told by a friend that the Hoya species love to be outside for the summer, but my summers are hot, and dry. What am I to do? Well, I figured it out. I have to long ladders, so I going to put these ladder up against my garage on a slant. This will be on the north side of the building and I do use sprinklers ever 3rd day for the lawn during the summer, so I guess that would take care of the humidity and a place for them to hang. I would also install a long rod of about 20 feet and that would give me room for them, my fruit trees arn't that big, because I keep them as bonsai so I can't use their branches, any other suggestions? Could I use the ladders to hold the rod? Would this work? HELP please, Norma

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

Sounds like a good plan to me.. I would think you would want to fix the rod on the ladder so it wouldn't slip.

Valley Village, CA

What should I use, I can't even lift a bar that long, Just wire would do, or rope. I wish I could figure out how to use chain and hook. Norma

Valley Village, CA

Kathy Jo, I'm trying to hard to get the hand of this. Thanks for helping me. Do you have Hoya? Which ones, and how do you keep them. You would be surprised how much we can learn by just discussing their care. So far no insects.
I'm watching for them each day. I just closed up a house vent so no cold air comes through. I think I'm going to need to weatherstrip the doors. I feel drafts coming through. NOmra

Alfred, ON(Zone 4b)

Norma, I would take rope to secure the rod because wire could rost.
20 feet thats a very long rod, could you not use shorter pieces?

In my picture above I took a 8 or 10' sss pipeline it's 2" thick. SSS is good for outside to since it won't rust.

my setup is just temporary. but I think I will do something with the pipline again.

I got the pipes from our old barn.
Carmen

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

Can you get someone to help you lift the bar? you definitely need to secure the bar some way. If you do use a 20 foot bar maybe you could brace it some way in the middle?
I just have hoya rubra and one like it with just plain green leaves. They are very small plants I bought at Lowe's. I had a large plant years ago. Lost it because the heat went out in my basement in January.. bummer.
I have both my starts in a hanging basket on my back porch with a heater. They get good morning sun.
Haven't fertilized them for awhile. What fertilizer to you use?

Valley Village, CA

I'm using a 12-12-12 mix liquid. or 10-10-10 mix, 1/2 strength, and only in the summer months, or if I see them growing activly. I have heat in a hot house now, I will be able to fertilize them weekly. As long as the stregth of the fertilizer is week. I like LiquidNox. (spelling) I have diluted it to 1 1/2 cup per a five gal. pot, then used a nozel which even dilutes it more. I think that works out to 1 tbs per gal. I like to use tepid water, or rain water.

What I think I will do with the outside pipe situation, after talking it over with my nursery, is to put up 5 ft. lengths sunk into holes that have been first filled with cement. These will be 1" galvanized plumbers pipe. I will use elbows to join them. He said that way they would be semi-permanent and strong. I hope to do it the whole length on my north wall, which will get sun in the summer. Thanks for letting me think this out on the forum and get ideas from the rest of you. I just couldn't have figured this out my self. Any other ideas, I'm open to suggestions, perhaps I should send a prize for the best. I did order a heating pad from Charlie's nursery which will hold two flats of plants , these I got from Dale Kloppenburg. What a grand gentleman, he has class. I just mailed him a thank you plant. One he doesn't have anymore. Hoya australis ssp rupicola which comes from northern Australia.

Valley Village, CA

Carmen I going to use your suggestion about the pipe, it sounds much better to me. I will use the shorter lengths, as you suggested. So now I will get 5 pipes that are only 5 ft long to holed 5 plants each. I don't want them to close, as I understand these plants are not polite, they tangle with others. I'll just have to cut them back to keep them neat and give away the cuttings. I can send them out in candy, or soap. Guess who will get the first box. I understand when Hoya start to grow, they really go fast. I certainly hope so. I hoping to have duplicates soon. Norma

Valley Village, CA

I am making arrangements to get CD's for the people who are interested in Hoya. These will be from Dale Kloppenburg. If you are intereted you may contact him directly. Or me, and I will tell him. These do have colored photos and black and white line drawings. I have both of these books and they are well done. foryou2

Valley Village, CA

I have just read that the H. carnosa would be okay in the green house which doesn't have heating. There about six different cv. in this group. They can take the cold. I'm amazed.
Now you must realize that it never gets below 35 degrees in there. I'm going to try it soon, I will need the room if this collections continues to grow. I am starting to move them to the Huntington Gardens as I can see that they have roots. It's a good clue when new leaves start to grow. Some species I'm struggling with. Some have rotted already and others strike down quickly.
One of the hardest I had luck with. Then lost 4 other specie. I can get them replaced because I'm dealing with a very realiable dealer. I notified him within the week. I now have two flats (72)of them on a heating pad for plants. Norma

Valley Village, CA

Those CD are exact copies of his book, you must email him for details. rdk03@cvip.net Dale Kloppenburg
Foryou2

Valley Village, CA

The heat at the bottom should be kept at about 70-74, I have a heating pad now. But I still might experiment with the blankets that have controlled heat. I just don't want it to be dangerous. I may be able to use just the controls attached to heating wire. After thinking it over I think should just use the heating pad that I have, it is safe.

I know that people on the other lists are reading this, remember I'm the lady that doesn't know anything, and was told to move on, and no one could understand what I was writing about, so why are you reading this, and not joining in. I'm just a beginner, of 3 mo. now. I don't have any tips, but the other groups do. Just be carfull of your trades with them, and be very careful what you write,
In good faith, Crasulady

Alfred, ON(Zone 4b)

Norma, I'm reading all your messages and I love all your ideas :)

I left the other list, just did not fit in.

I'm no expert on anything, but willing to learn,
I don't post much here much either anymore,
lately I just need a break from everything.

You have lots of knowlage, it does not matter what plants you grow :)

I have a passion for hoyas and they are resting for the winter as I do.

please keep the messages komming :)
love
Carmen

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Norma and everybody, I just read all of this, enjoyed it very much. I never knew there were so many hoyas. I have 2, one is green and the other a verigated one I got from Kathy Jo. Now I will have to be on the lookout for more.

Valley Village, CA

I more or less quit the other list as well, and refuse to exchange plants with them.

Today I noticed the first one to send up a vine is a Dischidia. I think as I get more sun during the summer months they will all take off, they are just waiting, well I certainly hope so, then I will talk about trading again. I love trading but just don't like being bashed or slapped in the face. It's fun to receive a box in the mail. Looking forward to summer. Norma

Valley Village, CA

Thank you all,

Waterbed or electic blanket. I would think you will need to put something like plywood on the bed or blanket. It must not go over 74 degrees, or you'll burn their little toes (roots) Mine are just starting to leaf out finally, these cuts are two months old. Some died off, due to dryness/or to much water, (rotted) I now have put a pot of water in the hot house, I need more humidity. I may need to also put in light to get them to grow. I have been using Charley's, mail order supply, so far they have been great, with advise as well.
I'm still trying to figure out how to have my cake and eat it too. I have a plastic pipe frame, that has a high pitch to the roof, but it is too hard from me to put up the plastic, or shade cloth, I need a shed type thing, that water will drain off, it needs to support plastic, but if it gets too much water I don't want it to cave in. I was thinking to string across plastic clothes line to support the plastic and raise one side up higher than the other, what would you all suggest? Crasulady2

Valley Village, CA

I purchased a warming pad for the new Hoya cuts, well it came, I tried it out, and the temps ran about 120 which almost roasted them, I called the supplier which was Charly's Greenhouse supply, and told them that I thought that it was preset at 70-74 but it was running to hot. They said that they would replace it immediately, I asked how to send back the one that wasn't working, they just told me to keep it. I was shocked. Would I recommend them, you betcha, any time. They may even replace some of the plants that I lost. Norma

Valley Village, CA

Hoya know something I don't, most are starting to leaf out. Sending out runners, I'm getting excited, went out and got some weird post for them 1" square and about 12" + tall, to give them something to climb on.
These post look as if they are made of pine needles glued together, they were hand cut for me. I still haven't finished putting the Hoya in their own private room, and letting them hang in the breeze. I have been told that they will really take off when put outside. All will be in permanent 5" round pots of their own. Will report back when I have good news. Norma

Valley Village, CA

Whoops, I caught an error that I made, my back greenhouse which is only partially heated at night and manually. is 10 x 34. Sorry about this error. My hot house is 5x15 it is heated has an air vent coming in and a fan vent going out for the summer. I have rods hanging there= two @14 feet, and a mounted shelf and a board that will hold hooks, to hang them on. Every inch of this house is used. The side end walls which are narrow I have 4x4 boards the width, (l4") each with 3 shelves to put the little 4" pot next to the light. I also have tree branches on the ground for them to climb up the bark. Most like to climb, and when I provide something for them to climb, they seem to know where they are going and it's up towards the light. They reach out and grab anything they can find, including string to pull the blinds. String them up like sweetpeas. Norma

Valley Village, CA

I now have 50 that are actually hanging on the rods at this time. I will need more shelfs, or bars of wood to put hooks, then I will be able to hang more of them, I ran out of pots, and it looks like I'll need about another 100 pots to do the job. Many are putting out the vines, and the umbels show up first before the leaves, which is really weird. I will have plants this summer to trade. I have put a pot of water in the hot house to build up the humidity. Did you know that some are vine forms, bush forms, and basket forms, the vines falling down the sides, other grow flat on a piece of wood, creepers I guess you would call them.
I can't believe that I'm collecting this specie of plants, watch for mealies, I checked all of mine today, not one bug among them.
I glad to see a few more people responding to this forum, because when it comes time to cut and trim those are the people who will get to trade. Not the Johnny come latelies. I just want to join in the fun also. Norma

New York City, NY(Zone 6b)

I have always enjoyed the look of these plants, and have just started to learn a little about them.

I know someone here in NYC who has a real collection, who would share some cuttings to get me started.

Could you suggest the easiest to start with?

Could you suggest some credible sources of general or technical information about hoyas? I could even be highly technical research work (I'll let my wife figure out the hard bits).

Thank you.

Adam.

I somehow managed to miss the posts regarding Kloppenberg, above. Maybe I need new glasses? I'll look into that.

Adam.

Valley Village, CA

Adam, what I'm trying to do, as I learn, is share as many facts as I can, I hope the rest of you do the same. I unable to identify them by descriptions over email, I know very few of them by sight. I am learning, and I must do it fast. I know you start them by 2 node cuttings, putting the 1st node down into the soil, the top node should have 2-3 leaves, which is sunk down into the soil until they touch the soil. Experienced grows, can do it with one node or just a leaf. I don't use any rooting powder on my plants ever.
I do top dress with gravel to hold the plant in, then water. I know they like to be misted and need humidity, Where I grow mine, I water every week, and mist several times daily until I see new growth. I have 50 hanging in small 5" pots at this time, that I had rooted first in rose pots 1" x 4" I have seen them rooted in shallow 2" by 18"x18" flats. Also seedling flats are used holding 100 holes.

There seems to be several ways to do the same thing. Some people set the cuts into water, I can't seem to get them to root this way, they rot for me. I think we all need to experiment. We all have different growing conditions. Now that I have rooted at least 50, it is time to start to fertilize them. I have noticed when you see new growth, guess what? they now have roots, growth can be a lump, that comes out of the node where the two leaves join the stem. It can be a leaf, or a vine, that looks like a wire, I also have noticed the this vine will often get a punduncle (the thing that holds the flower stems) before this vine gets leaves, I then move them up to 4" pots, and when this fills with roots, I will put them into the final pot of 5-6 inches with 3 wires attached with a hook that I can use to hang them. I have set the temperature at 70 until all of this occurs. I will then lower it to a minimum of 50 degrees controlled with a heater with a thermostate.

Now the ones that haven't rooted yet, I will set on a growth pad with a temperature of 70-74 degrees, until they set roots. Next installment will come later, as I learn more. Now I hope others will jump in and take a chance, I don't know how to swim yet, and need help also. What comes next, please share your secrets with all of us. Norma

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

Norma, you have inspired me to try to take cuttings of my lone hoya. It was a gift last summer, it came without a name, but I LOVE it! Variegated, succulent leaves, all crinkly. It is small, mostly dormant now in the winter, but if I pull it out of dormancy, it will probably be ready for me to try cuttings in a couple of weeks.

I love your suggestions/ideas. One thought, though: since you live in a dry climate (compared to those of us in the Northeast/Midwest), maybe ours would not need to be misted as yours do? Mine hasn't shown any signs of withering, but I do keep a humidifier running night/day here. Also, mine is succulent-leaved. The succulents rarely show signs of withering (at least for me).

Kathy

This message was edited Saturday, Jan 25th 4:48 PM

Valley Village, CA

I have pots of water, on the bottom walk, I need to get a humidifer. Today it is 80 and humid. Kathy Jo, I have one called H. carnosa 'Ruba' that is the name it came with, I will not be responsible if the names doen't hold up, so many syn, it could also be H. carnosa 'Red Buttons' I also have this plant and enough to make 20 cuttings. I understand that cutting the long vines will make the plant more vigorous. This I want to do. I
am planning a gatering of the Clan, for June 16-17 it will be by invitation only. I can only hold so many in my garden, and yes, there are certain people on forums that I wouldn't want here, they would make life miserable for all of us. I will announce the plans later once I have them verified. I have invited two very important guest, I am waiting to here from them, then we will all be in on my little secret. Norma

WOW!

Well, given the above post (there were / are inklings of exclusivity in others), I will assume this is a "private" thread and leave you folks alone.

Bu~bye and good luck.

Adam.

Fairchild Air Force , WA(Zone 7a)

Look at ALL the good information I miss when I don't check in for a while! Bad, bad me!

Valley Village, CA

Adam this is not a private thread, this is a public forum, please I welcome your visit. I started this thread because I had no one else to talk to about the Hoya species and have been trying to learn. Norma

We are having the Hoya Clan party at my house on Sat.June 14th from 1-4 Ted Green, and Dale Kloppenberg will be here as hosts, Ted is from Hawaii, and has introduced at least 1/4 of all new Hoya in the past 30 years. Dale Kloppenberg has written most of the modern books on the species.

You will need to email me privately to get your invitation and instructions where I live by snail mail. Any questions please, please, email me. Each may bring a plant for an exchange and take one back in return. Please bring a chair and smiles ;o]] Light refreshments will be served, veggies and dip. Cold drinks at 2:00 Norma

Valley Village, CA

This is not a private thread we welcome all, it is very public. I am hoping someone anyone, that has good information, knowledge will join us with a smile. We are all nice people here, and welcome all newcomers.

WELCOME ADAM Please join the rest of us.

Valley Village, CA

Adam, Libby Liz, start out with any H. Carnosa, or H. Australis, there are subtle differences, in the flowers and leaves of each of these species.H. Carnosa 'Red Buttons' H. Carnosa compacta'Hindu Rope', H. Carnosa 'Picta' (variegated) etc.
The same with the H. Australis I even find these easy, and I'm new to this game. I would think in New York, that they would grow well, I believe you folks have high humidity? Yes? No? Norma
I hope I have invited all of your smiling faces to a Hoya clan party at my house Sat. June 14 from 1:00 to 4:00 there is no charge at all. I will serve cold drinks and veggie with dips and potato chips. My guest are going to be Dale Kloppenberg writer , and Ted Green writer of Hoya books, discovers of Hoya in the wild, Orchids, and Michael Kartuz, with Hoya All three are the most prominent in the species of Hoya and orchids. Including succulent house plants. WE will have a trade table, bring one get one.
I will need an RSVP so I may send you instructions how to get here. Send me your address. Norma

Valley Village, CA

Hi Kathy, I think your crinkly plant could be a H. carnosa, v. compacta plain green, or
'Hindu Rope' or Hoya Regalis ( if the new leaves start out pink) or variegata, which could have some solid white leaves, and you should take these off. Another name it may go under is 'Krinkle Curl' like in every species there are several syn. names. Any syn. is acceptable. Kathy, is the green in the middle of the leaf or on the outside with cream in the middle? This is a big important clue. Norma

Valley Village, CA

Those of you who go from plant to plant to take off leaves and groom them, should always wash your hands after touching a diseased plant. You can carry eggs of mealies, spider mites, scale on your plants and clothing without out knowing. If you smoke definitely wash hands before grooming your plants. Just a helpful hint. NOrma

Manhattan Beach, CA(Zone 11)

Nicotine spray was used as an insecticide before the chemicals came along, so smoking should be a boon in the greenhouse. It also helps the medical industry.

Valley Village, CA

That is all good and well, if it is commercially dispensed. However straight from the cigarette to the plant, I don't think so, it may carry a plant virus. I not telling any one not to smoke, that is an individul choice and none of my business. I just have read in Hoya books, that this is not good. We should wash off our tools with either alcohol, or clorex. When taking cuttings and going from plant to plant be especailly careful. We often can't see the mites, I was shocked I just found a plant with scale. Not in my Hoya house, but on another plant in my other greenhouse. At the nursery that I work, we are a chemical free house. No root mealies or leaf mealies at this time. Mealies hatch in a five day cycle. Be very careful when bringing in a new plant, look it over. Norma

Valley Village, CA

I just found out the dope on nicotine. It is illegal to be sold for a pesticide. We had the Calif. State Agriculture Dept. in today to give us all lessons on what is allowed and not allowed and how to apply each of the pesticides, mitecides, fungicides etc. Nicotine is considered dangerous for the plants as well as the employees, and volunteers. It also carries the plant virus.
We each have a right to make choices, but as trained personal, we cannot use this drug for any reason. We are not allowed to bring nicotine into the green houses, this is how the disease spreads, including lung and liver cancer which my cousin now has from smoking. Sorry but you hit a nerve. Norma

Oh wow! I've been invited to two (birthday) parties on the same day?

Yes, my b-day's Flag Day.

I am a Gemini, so one twin can go to your party in Cali & the other can go to the party in NE Ark!

This message was edited Thursday, Feb 13th 11:18 AM

Valley Village, CA

Liz have a happy birthday, and enjoy every minute of the day. I glad you changed the subject. Too much gloom and doom.
Do any of you know if Gibberellic acid can be purchased? Is it legal?
I read about a little trick using this stuff. I can't find it here locally. It may be illegal to sell here. I don't know yet. My boss thinks it's okay. I just haven't found it yet. I would think African violet growers would have it. If you can help me please let me know. Norma

I have a product containing Gibberellic Acid (Dynogen super plant spray, manufactured for Shartel Marketing, Inc., in Albertson, NY).

It's an aerosol spray I got in the fall & I forgot about it until I started cleaning out my cabinets last week. Now I'm using 2-3 short bursts on my small & weak plants once a week to get them to grow faster & stronger.

If I can find the website or phone number for the company I'll post it.

This message was edited Thursday, Feb 13th 5:02 PM

Okay, there's two places to get Gibberellic Acid stuff from...

Mega Gro

http://www.mymegagro.com/gibberellic-acid/gibberellic-acid.html

AND

Dynogen super plant spray

http://www.rushindustries.com/Default.html

Valley Village, CA

Wow, thanks Liz, I have ordered it immediatly when I received your message. I don't want it a spray can. I sure wouldn't have known how to do that. You put a :o] on my face. Norma

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.