Hoya, any one ?

Valley Village, CA

I have started a collection of this species, and find that they enjoyable,interesting leaves,flowers that have wonderful scent night, all kinds of spices, honey, orange blossom, etc.
I would like to find someone else that might be interested. Crasulady dba Norma

Alfred, ON(Zone 4b)

Norma,
I am :)

but I'm in Canada :(

I love hoyas and have a little collection, some are still small, but I like to share and sometimes I take a tiny cutting from the small one.

I have a imperialis that only has one stem, but it's about 40cm long.
I'm notsure if I should cut it so it can branch out. Or just wait and see...

I have a few on my wish list that I dream of these are H.mcalaster, H.macgillvrayii, H.polyneura, H. angustifolia and many many more :)

I had a big H.carnosa, well I have a few of these, but one was outside in my small GH
DH said I could safely leaf it there a few more days.. that same night we had a big freeze :( half of it died but now it looks better, I removed the frozen branches, and it's doing good.

Do you know if the H.exotica and the H.tricolor are the same?
I have them both and they look the same.

Carmen

Valley Village, CA

Carmen, I think you are right about them both being the same.
I'm just new to this species, but already have 70 new cuts. I believe I can send to Canada, as long as they are just cuts, no soil, no roots, just stem leaf cuts. Leave that long stem on until you see some leaves, perhaps in June. They like warmth, about 65 degrees, some like the shade, other need the sun, or more of it, to flower, I went out and purchased books, I've been reading every night. I have one species that grows like succulents, little water, porus soil. I started learning about this species late July. Crasulady

Alfred, ON(Zone 4b)

Oh my god Norma, you are new and already have 70 WOW....

I have been collecting for a few years now and I have a little over 30. but I belive that some are the same, just different names.

I wish I could trade with you, but since you have over 70 you must have all the once I have.

do you do postage? or I could make you some crafts for a few starts :)

any chance we could work something out? please.
here are some picture of mine, I heat up the house almost just for my hoyas *LOL*
Carmen

Thumbnail by zameluzza
Alfred, ON(Zone 4b)

I was so trilled to red your message and reply so fast I forgott to ask you, wich species you mentionet grows like a succulent?

here in Canada you sometimes get lucky and find one here and there. otherwise no luck and no mailorder :(
there is one company that sells some, but I have had bad experience with them. two years ago the order was fine, but this year it was really bad, I placed my order in May and got it very late August, most of the hoyas they did not have and what they send was full of bugs :(

I have a friend in Switzerland that sometimes sends me a start and a friend in Denmark that also sends me a start once in a wile, actualy it's kind of a trade, they like crafts so it's almost a trade :)

I just have one book, I would like more books one day.
what books do you have? any recomentation?
I have the book from Christine Burton, she wrote that book years ago.
I e-maild her one with a question and she said that she had a book for postage :)
I also read a bid every night in it. have read it so many times now *LOL* but I also read lots about Llamas, I have to rain these babies to :)

Carmen

Valley Village, CA

I sure would like to see the Christine Buton's book? Everyone is raving about it. Is it easy to read, or is it very technical. I only exchange for cuts at this time. I was taken a while back so now I'm leary of even trading.
I don't have everyting yet, so I'm always looking. That is just part of the fun. When I see one in a book that I have, I almost have a celebration party. I don't know what I can use of the leafs for diseases, what temperatures they like.

The one that grows very much like a succulent I got from Grigsby's Garden here in Calif. I think it was a $10.00 plant which wasn't too costly. It has very thick succulent leaves which turn red if grown correctly. I will learn slowly, one at a time. Many of mine are putting out growth this time of year which seems strange to me. Bye for now, Norma

Alfred, ON(Zone 4b)

Norma,
the book is (in binder) form, the title is "Hoyas I know and love" puplished in 1981

there are some pictures, but what I love best are the leafs they are hand drawn (pencil) orig. size. just awsome.
it's about 50 pages and she has a 2 sheets of corrections in it.
I don't find the book technical, I think it's easy to read.

I'm waiting for her next book,I hope that she will finish it soon.

maby we can trade next year sometimes, mine can grow a little more till next spring/summer :)
take care
Carmen

Valley Village, CA

It been so good to hear from you, I hope we do this again. Norma

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

if you have cuttings for postage id luv to try some
i was out of town till this morning!
lmk
dori

Valley Village, CA

I don't do trades for postage anymore, I found I did a lot of work, gave away a lot of plants, did not increase my collection but everyone else did, and most of the time they never responded when they were received, or even said thank you. Crasulady

Valley Village, CA

If any of you are trading Hoya, make sure you get at least 2 nodes, otherwise you are wasting your time. Norma

Valley Village, CA

Zanluzza, Gosh yours are so big, mine don't hang down yet. It's not how many you have it's the quality of each plant you grow. WOW they are terific, what are they hanging in a porch, carport, I like your setup. I looked at your list, and sure enough you do have some I never heard of. In spring I should really have something to talk about, right now I have just 70+ 2 node cuts, some are duplicates,
I will be getting more this next week. I will try to get doubles. I hope don't get that big, I won't have any place to put them. Thanks for showing me your pictures,

Alfred, ON(Zone 4b)

Norma :)
Hello hello...

well they are all in our new unfinished house. That place it's going to be the sunroom :)

the house was supposed to be finished by christmas,,, but...
we had so much other work to do ( farming ) that there was just no time for the house :(

Now I have no idea how long till we can move in, but it is heated for my hoyas *LOL* thats the main thing.

some of the big once are dublicates and the more common once. but all the once in the little greenhouse kind of thing are the more rare once.

but sure we can trade next spring :)

thanks
Carmen

PS: you are very welcome :)

Valley Village, CA

I just received a very large collection of new cuts of 60 species, took me 6 hours to pot up, all have names, I sure hope I don't mix them up, because I would have to wait until they flower to identify the specie. Crasulady2

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

That is simply incredible that you have 60 new species. Wow!
I just have two kinds. Love the ones I have though.

Valley Village, CA

Kathy Joe, I'm always willing to make a fair trade. I will not send any out for postage again. I will not trade unless they are purchased from a realiable nursery, Kartuz, Grigsby's, Smoley's etc., no Walmart, no Target, you never know what they really are. Norma

Valley Village, CA

Kathy Jo, I'm always willing to make a fair trade. I will not send any out for postage again. I will not trade unless they are purchased from a realiable nursery, Kartuz, Grigsby's, Smoley's etc., no Walmart, no Target, you never know what they really are. Norma

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

I certainly don't blame you there. Maybe in the Spring we can work out something. It's almost too cold now to mail plants. Thanks for considering me.

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

Norma, where on earth are you keeping all of these??? My garden room and the glasshouse are pretty much full now! Elaine

Valley Village, CA

I don't have a garden room, but I do have 20 x 34 in the back of the garage. I have just put on a hot house 5 x 15 with a heater, and fan/vent system. I sure hope this works out, I have been keeping the temp at 70 until the new cuttings take hold. This past week I have increased the collection to total over 200, now I must actually stop getting new plants, right now! Norma

Valley Village, CA

My little hot house if actually working, I have now 150+ cuts, so in spring I am hopping to trade only. I have installed a plug for the electric fan, and I hope it holds to 7o degrees just until the cuts root up, I will be getting the new 5" pots with wire hangers next week, the rods, and benches are up, and I'm ready to pot them all up as soon as the roots develope.
All my variegated Sansevieria will fit in as well. The Echeveria are all in flower, the Aeonium are smiling, the Gasteria are starting to grow for the winter, so are the Haworthia.
I will be cutting off all the heads of the Echeveria, as soon as they quit flowering. They must be restarted this Spring, they are just getting too tall to look nice.

Valley Village, CA

I have been told that Cedar shavings, that are used for a dogs bed would keep the critters away, I'll try that, moth crystals a tiny bit should keep the critters out of the soil, but may kill us. Also of all things, systemetic Rose food, and/or cut up dog flea collars. I hope I don't get that desperate. Remember I don't spell well, I just grow plants. Now don't use these tips all at once, you will keel over, and so will the plants. Norma

Valley Village, CA

I have joined the National Hoya Society which meets in San Diego, there is also one in Oregon, nothing in Los Angeles that I know of yet. Dale Kloppenburg (Hoya writer, explorer) has come out with 3CD on the Species, if you are interested email me for his email address, I know nothing about them yet. I haven't seen them, don't know if there is pictures. I do have permission to give out his address. Norma

Valley Village, CA

Don't cut that long stem of H.'Imperialis' this is where the flowering umbles (little sticks that come out from where the leaves are with a microphone at the end)will form, then after that the leaves.
just wait until Spring. Norma

Valley Village, CA

Another tip, they like to be crowded into small a shallow container like small azalia pots Some need bark, to climb on. other need a rock to crawl over, camoile tea for fungus control. If you have any tips please share with us. One of my friend came up with a heater that is used for a water bed for bottom heat, more size for the buck, plant heaters are expensive. I mean the one purchased at plant supply stores to start seedlings. I hope some of this stuff we are dishing out will be of help to some of you, I know you are reading this how about some comments, what do you use. I have good advise on heaters, fans, how to make benches, even a night light so I can see what is going on inside of the new hot house. Norma

Grandview, TX(Zone 7b)

I wouwld love to know how to set up the waterbed heater! I have an extra one in the shed somewhere. Do you set the plants directly on the mat?

Alfred, ON(Zone 4b)

Norma,
I read all your posts, it's just that lately I don't feel like posting, it's nothing personal. It's just a bad time for me agin :(

I don't have to many tips for you all, I use a heat mat on the bottom of my small shelf and a heating cable ( the one they use in the soil ) I just wind it like a snake up so that every shelf has two rows of it. But if you use a calbe be sure that they don't touch eachother. I don't know way but it was written on the label.

I lost a few small hoyas because our stove stoped working one night when it was soooooooooo cold and they got a little to cold.

Carmen

Valley Village, CA

I found out that only 4 sp. of Hoya are considered succulent and have culturally the same growing conditions, and care. Some may go as long as 5 mo. without water. I only have one of these. I'm certainly going to try and get the others. Not all hoya vine, some sprawl, and one at least grows upright. I'm learning, I hope I will learn enough to be able to assist the Huntington with their new Tropical Conservatory which will open hopefully by the end of next year. These are indeed interesting plants with plenty of reading material available. I only wish the Crassula species were that fortunate. Norma

Valley Village, CA

Waterbed heat: This gal uses a flat with sand in it. First put down plastic to hold in the sand. about 1" of the stuff, then set the pots on top of that. I used a foot warmer, and put towels down to buffer the heat. I think it would be better and safer if I use a cookie sheet on top. or Pyrex pan Any other suggestion for a cheap way to achieve 70 degree bottom heat for cuttings. Are any of you interested in cheap top lighting, and where to get it? I have some information on that also. I've just read it this morning, there is also a forum on heating or indoor lighting.

Valley Village, CA

A friend gave me a electric food dryer. Does this make sense. I understand that this should stay at a temperature of 70 if this is so I will put the plants on the top of this very large box. I sure hope it works. I also have blankets that have heat controls, if I put the controls on low that might work as well, I'll lay heavy plastic on top, to protect the blalnkets. foryou2

Alfred, ON(Zone 4b)

How about some reptile heating rocks? I have a few here, never thought about using them :)

Norma, the heating blanket idea is great, let us know if it workes, I have 3 of them.

Carmen

Valley Village, CA

I will as soon as I try this out. I must fig. out what to cover the blankets with so they stay clean. Any suggestions. I also found out that I should keep up the humidity up in the little hot house, so I guess I need pots of water, or humidifer I like the heated rocks for the reptiles idea, that sounds great.
Now that has given me an idea about what to put on top of the blankets. I'll put rocks about 1" high and then put the flats on top of the rocks, keeping the plants about 1" off the blanket. I'm watering twice a week at this time. I still didn't get the mister.
But how do I keep the blanket cleen?

Alfred, ON(Zone 4b)

Norna, how about sone sterofoam sheets? they should keep the blankets clean.

Valley Village, CA

If any of you are going to be in the Los Angeles Area and would like to join the rest of us hoyanuts, one day the first week in June please notify me. I am planning a gathering of the clan. If you are in CA you would more than welcome. More details coming in May. Norma

Valley Village, CA

Carmen that sounds good to me, I've been trying to fig. out how to keep the water out. I have in the garage what you are suggesting. I'll try it out on Wednesday. I found the controls yesterday. I think you have a good idea, and then I don't need to buy anything. Thanks Carmen
I can't wait to try and send you plants come spring, I know no roots, no soil, I'll try one at a time. Perhaps I'll mail you a box of soap. You can always use soap samples, yes

Regards Norma

Valley Village, CA

When your Hoya flower, make sure you have plastic under them to catch the sap that they ooze, so not to ruin the furniture or rugs. Norma

Valley Village, CA

I just put down the sterofoam on top of the heating pad, I also have light above them, tonight I'm going to try that out. I just hope it won't too hot. I will then add extra tiles that I have. Ideally I want to keep the temp. at 70-74 degrees. This is all new to me, I'll keep you up to date. I just read a new tip that I found in Amateur's Digest
from Canada. Sounds really dumb, but the lady says it works. No name, so I can't give credits'
Vague directions given 1 cup of sugar to 1 gal of water, then water it into the plants, these where house plants.
Because the water ran into the saucers under the pots, a lot of sugar ended up there and dried, sticking the saucers to the pots. When I watered in the spring, I noticed that the pots did have a slight unpleasant odor that didn't last too long, I also noticed that over the next couple of months the sugar seemed to disappear. Nothing came out into the saucers. I figured that bacteria etc. ate it. (or maybe the mealies had a sweet feast!).
When it came time to repotting, there was not one pot with root mealybug to be found and I've never seen a root mealybug since. The next fall I repeated the experiment just to be safe in case some were lurking somewhere. The writer of this article may be Lyle Opseth Calgary, Alberta, Canada and I thank him. It would be nice if any of you had some secret tips that you would share them. Norma

Alfred, ON(Zone 4b)

hmmmmmm sugar, won't that atract ants and other bugs?

I told my DH about the heating blankets and he said that you could also use aluminium foil, that would distribute the heat better and also reflect the light better.

Norma I hope that winter passes fast, :)

I feel much better during the spring and summer months. I can't stand winter. and I moved to Canada *LOL* go figure!!
Carmen

Valley Village, CA

Okay, I'll find a place for the blankets, I will need to fold them up first. Or I can just spend the money and get the right heating pad, I have been keeping them in a hot house that is kept at 70. Temps. are droping down to 39 tonight.
This sugar experiment was only done on house plants, I really don't want to invite the ants into the house either.

I still do bed check every morning, to see if any thing is going on like new baby snails eating my plants. I check for mealies and new growth. I watch to make sure each plant keeps to themself, no sharing of pots. I may need to get another heater for the larger green house. Norma

Valley Village, CA

I ordered a heating pad yesterday mail order from Charley's it's going to be 16 x 36 which means that I can
have two flats of cuttings on at one time. It will maintain about 70 degrees. This should really make a difference how fast roots come down. I took another rooted one to the Huntington today, we don't think the name is correct so we must now wait for the flowers. This one is supposed to have orange small flowers that are fuzzy. One step forward three steps back. I must learn quickly about this species, so I can go on to the next project. Norma

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.