What's new?

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Yes! How many do you have?

Just that one, but theres nothing in it,just checked

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

I sometimes think it takes longer from one country to the other - I'm not sure though.

Seems to be tonight, or rather this morning. its 3.45am here what time is it there ?.

Alan.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

About 10.45pm and my back is killing me ......LOL Actually my neck has started to ache, so must call it a day. I hope you manage to get some sleep. Do you take pain killers? Goodnight then Alan, we will talk again. God bless :-)

Good night, and yes, by the bucket load,lol, speak to soon, hope your back and neck clears soon.

Alan.

Louisa, how is your back today ?, my email is still a day late i think.

Alan.

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

Hello Louisa! Just noticed you'd asked about Middlesbrough. I'm near the mouth of the River Tees. My area is comparatively sheltered compared with a few miles away. I don't get the heavy snowfalls that they get in the hill areas. I only have to walk five minutes along my road and I can see the hills in the distance, the Cleveland Hills. Although my town is industrial it's nice to be able to leave all that industry behind so easily. Hope your back is better today. I liked the photos of your garden. It's gorgeous! You must have been so sorry to leave it. I haven't got the hang of sending photos yet - don't have digital camera or scanner. But there are one or two webpages on the Net posted by people showing what some of my area looks like. Even though they're not by me I'd be happy to give the addys so people can get an idea of what my area is like. Shout if you'd like me to hunt out a few pictures of the area. Bye for now! Diane.

[ Removed per member request. - Admin]

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Hi Diane, that would be great!

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Alan, I think I'm going to have to give the computer a rest today and me!! I mustn't sit too long. I just sent you email.

Hello Louisa, Mary, Patty and Alan! I've looked out a few pictures for you. These are simply from the Web, not by me. But they show one of the villages near me. It's a place called Great Ayton, just a few miles from me. It's in the Yorkshire Dales. Captain Cook went to school there. It's a pretty village with a stream running through it and a village green and the old schoolhouse. It also has a marvellous shop? where they make home-made icecream.

Key in http://www.nymcam.free-online.co.uk/061000.htm

If like me your weather is atrocious right now, try and think of an English summer. There's birdsong in the background - doves, the occasional cuckoo. The swish of the waterfall, ducks playing about on the stream. A game of cricket going on in the background. Can you hear the ball and the bat? It's a hot August day so we're all a little lethargic. The climbing roses are in full bloom. And you're clutching a massive vanilla icecream in your hand. Ooooh that's good.

This message was edited Sunday, Mar 18th 3:51 PM

This message was edited Sunday, Mar 18th 4:00 PM There's a typo. That word should be nymcam. I've missed out an m.

This message was edited Sunday, Mar 18th 4:03 PM

This message was edited Sunday, Mar 18th 4:04 PM

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Hey Diane - what can I say. Looked at the pictures. I feel quite homesick :-)

OI, you are supposed to be resting your back.

Alan.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

I know Alan. I tried mailing you again. Hope it got through this time. BTW Diane, I'm not sure but.....I think you are supposed to post pictures on the photo forum. I read this somewhere on Dave's page .........but - I could be wrong - I usually am!

hello Louisa, i got them this time, but i dont know how long they took to arrive, its still not right yet.

Alan.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

No matter - as long as it was successful!

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Alan - I can remember going through March at some point in time but blowed if I can remember why!! Do you like living there?

Louisa, sorry i missed you earlier, had a bit of a misshap, had to shut down.

I have always thought of march as home, but it has changed so much the past ten years, its not as nice as it was, but i still call it home, Cornwall has been calling in the winds though, warmer climate, but i will most likely stay here.

hows your back doing, you should rest it as much as you can, i will write tomorrow, i am going to mop up the blood now, bye.

Alan.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

War games eh! Sounds nasty! I think it might do you good to move. I always fancied Yorkshire but then there's Cumbria (I have a brother in the Lake District), and Dorset (where I spent school holidays on my uncle's farm), and there's the Cotswolds - sigh!!!! How Green is Your Valley? I am not so bad as I was earlier but will be calling it a day also. I hope you get some rest and that you don't hurt so much.

[ Removed per member request. - Admin]

Louisa's right! I'm terribly sorry folks!! Please put that down to my inexperience. I found something Dave posted about photos - they should only go in the Photos Forum. I found it after I'd posted these pics. Should I edit them out and move them to the Photos Forum?
Patty, I live in a town, or at least in the suburbs. But the countryside isn't far away. And yes, the real live James Heriott practised not too far away from where I live. When the weather is poor and cold it is great to remember what it is like in summer.

Back after the weekend ! You chaps are starting to worry me, you're not allowed to be poorly.
Louisa, Yorkshire is WOOOOOONDERFUL ! I'm a city girl and moved here some years back and I really wish that I'd come here long before. The people are wonderful (overall) and in the village here we rarely lock the door when we're in so friends and family just come on in to the house instead of waiting outside for you to answer the door. 5 minutes walk from the house you're in green countryside and 10 minutes drive takes you properly out so that you have to search to find houses. I really enjoy going out with binoculars and birdwatching although I'm not very good at it but there are so many different species all round it's not hard to have a good day's spotting. I haven't seen it yet but we apparently have a regular Peregrine Falcon patrolling the area and that's my big "must-see" at the moment.
Anyway, on Saturday I was planting out in bright sunshine and there were skylarks trilling overhead andwarblers (not sure which) zooming around me chasing each other along with the chaffinches and blackbirds and the planes overhead were keeping a friendly distance so I was hardly aware of them, and every time I stood up to stretch I could se 10 miles or more into the moors in the distance and it's so hard to believe that we're in the 21st century at times like that ! You could close your eyes and hear Alf White coming down the path - I guess you know that was Herriott's real name ?

Alan - Cornwall ? How about as manager of Eden, the warmth would do you good ? Just make sure you take your computer with you I'd miss you if you didn't !

Jo

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

I love to hear everyone wax lyrical about 'home'. It does sound idyllic Jo! I'm a country girl at heart, but born into the RAF so travelled mostly abroad and not so much in my native country. Something I regret very much now because although I love Virginia (it is so beautiful - mountains, pines, greeeeeeeeeeen) nothing can take the place of 'those green and pleasant lands"! My son was born in Bridlington by the sea in Yorkshire!! My late husband was stationed at Driffield. My first encounter with James Herriot was on a train from Nottingham to Yorkshire. There was a priest sitting further down the coach and he was reading this book and laughing out loud. His laugh was so infectious that all the passengers started tittering and nodding to each other in friendly acknowledgement and when we reached our destination and passed him to get off the train I asked him what he was reading....well, you know the answer to that one. "All Creatures Great and Small". I was immediately hooked and sooooo funny, especially the smelly pug!!

This message was edited Monday, Mar 19th 11:01 AM

Jo, i dont want the managers job, i want it to be my greenhouse, for me to sit in, all the others can look through the glass, lol.

Louisa, i didnt like living out of a suitcase either.

Alan.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Where you in the forces Alan?

Yep, the other lot.

Alan.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm trying to get off this computer...LOL I have things to do. Army eh?

fraid so blue job, lol.

Alan.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Well I don't know about the rest of you but I had quite a good day. Selected the last of the light fittings and fixtures so perhaps the builder will give me some peace now. It was a glorious day, the sunshine was so welcome after the gloomy weather but understand we are in for another cold spell. Tomorrow my dear cat goes to the vet to have his teeth cleaned - I hate it!

What cleaning teeth or the cat, if its the cat why bother cleaning its teeth, lol, sorry couldnt resist that.

So you managed to find some at last, good for you, one down, how many more to go ?, hows your back today, still giving you gyp.

Alan.

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Well Alan, you are the quick one! That was good..(smile)What is gyp? Is it grief? We would say "Is your back giving you grief?" Is that the same thing?

Yes Lisa, that what it means.

Alan.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Yes Lisa, you got it :-) My back is almost normal again thank goodness. Don't laugh Alan, I hate taking my cat to the vet:-) I have 3 cats, you know. 2 are brothers and a stray we took in as a baby. The brothers are 14 years now and baby is 12. I have had them all since they were babies and I adore them. Imagine how they felt when they flew to America. One day they were climbing apple trees in the garden and the next 48 hours they were in the States. Total disorientation. They are getting a bit old to go under the anaesthetic and it can be dangerous. But he had his blood test to determine if there were any problems and all seems fine. I shall probably have nightmares tonight!

Sorry louisa, didnt mean it, much, dont like the little fur balls, they are a pain around here, how long did they have to stay in quarentine out there, and dont loose sleep over them, they will be all right.

Alan.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Actually there is no quarantine law here. Unlike England, rabies does exist here. Before I brought them over here they had rabies shots. I don't let them out at all but provide special screen porches for them which extend into the garden. The new house will be the same. They will have their own porch and I will set a small tree with branches in cement in a tub and they will climb up that. They have grass growing in pots so they can nibble on that to settle any upset tummy they might have. I will provide 'shelves' at different levels all round the porch so they can get exercise! :-) Don't you dare laugh!

Its strange, you cant send a friend a plant, you cant take any fruit, but you can take a moggy with no questions ask, why is that, and i didnt laugh, heard a lot worse than that.

Alan.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Don't ask Alan - I just don't have the answer. Just posted two pictures of my last garden here in the US.

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

okay what is a moggy?? Lisa :-)

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

A cat :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.