Best/Worse/What did I learn today? Chatting with friends old and new..

Victoria Harbour, ON

Perfect day, if only this weather would last year round.

Moved us over from here

https://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1559758/?page=7#post_10553951

I’ve been keeping busy, even sat with Marie and Ted for a bit.

I washed down with javex the patio set I let them use beside their apartment, dyed another 40 socks orange, hoping what I dated will dry in this sunshine, about 4:40 i will get them off the lawn, bring them in and set them out again tomorrow..think I need another 40 as each child needs 6 socks.

While i am having lunch I baking a pie crust, hungry for lemon meringue pie, reading directions for plaster of Paris so I can make the filling, yes I’m nuts..hope the bit I have left is still workable, last time i used the box was when we as a group made Victorian Santa’s, i sent the faces out..maybe Karen, Lindakay,Susan made them, perhaps some are still set out on display, anyway i need some made up because I am making 2 faux pumpkin pies, 1 for me, another maybe for my niece, will see how they turn out..that is the kind of day I’m having, just playing.

My doctor is suppose to call at 6:15, guess i should get my concerns in note style so I don’t forget anything.

This message was edited Aug 28, 2023 12:34 PM

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Betty - your trumpets are gorgeous! Aren't those Brugmansias? I call Datura angel trumpets, too - am I wrong?
I hope you get good answers from your Dr.
Today I went to our thrift store in the next town during their Bag Sale. Didn't fit into a bag, but I got a 2nd hand table for my dining room. Current one is 47" across with 1 leaf, and this one is 43" across with 2 leaves. In a small space that extra 4" makes a huge difference. Now, to find 4 chairs to go with it, and paint them cream which is what I'm going to paint the table. I'll need to roll the "old" one into the shed. I'll have to use an old blanket so I don't damage it going down the deck stairs, etc. I've had the oak table for about 35 years and it fit well in other places I've lived in, but here it's the dining table right at the main door and it's too imposing there.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Susan, congrats on your thrift store finds, table sounds lovely. Now you won’t move that table to the back yourself I hope? I haven’t been to thrift stores in ions, perhaps worried what I might bring home when I’ve so much I could be purging.

Meant to say it was an odd place to tent with so much noise around it, i too guess maybe a battery operated radio or ear plugs. Is that the end of your camping? Image this long weekend will be the end for most. My family uses their trailers until Thanksgiving, deformity those in USA that is mid October, think this year it might be earlier.

Can you believe I took a few fall wood pieces from underneath deck storage area but only put the fall sign on the deck, will wait til weekend.i was out in back yard earlier, children next door were out in back yard playing and laughing, they are never in back yard but guess under circumstances they were, I couldn’t help but think how these young ones have no idea how their world will change..they sure need angels watching over them.

My doctor did call, believes I have central paroxysmal positional vertigo, nothing can be done, it’s here, might go away..shaking my head.

I virtually had to prod him when asking questions, gave him my blood pressure numbers, yes high, so will you increase my meds? Yes. Then I said I had asked his receptionist if she could get a referral from him Re blood testing, haven’t had a good check up in 4 years since I was in and out of hospital for 3-4 months, he says my receptionist can’t request testing..i said I realized that, since I was proactive in having eyes done, ears done, recording my blood pressure I would have thought she could have asked you as I requested to get blood tested… end result, he will in crease my blood pressure meds, will have a doctor that deals with blood pressure contact me and once I’ve taken increased blood pressure meds, 6 weeks go get my blood tested. I asked if he would send the requisition and would it be valid in 6 weeks, got ‘it should be’ grrrr. So many doctors in our region have retired or died and there just aren’t enough doctors so no sense thinking I will find another. That being said though the Dr. jones who does my neck injections and likely hip injections is being proactive with X-rays, had hip done, next week c scan for shoulders and neck then appointment Oct 3, at least with her there seems to be some action.

Thought I’d include a photo of Greg and his family taken ar Grayson’s party.

This message was edited Aug 29, 2023 10:56 AM

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the new thread Betty.
Everyone seems busy, Karen making jam and memories.
Susan refurbishing a table.
Brugmansias are angel trumpets, the other plant is known as devils trumpet.
Betty, what are all those socks for?

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Karen, Ohhhhh.... freezer jam! The best kind! We used to have a LONG row of raspberries that the kids would pick. I would make freezer jam all year around. We just frozen the berries and thawed them as we needed to make the next batch.

Victoria Harbour, ON

That is some jam making Karen, wonder if frozen bags of fruit from Walmart would work, my freezer is full so couldn’t do a big batch..are you buying new jars? You must be exhausted tonight!

Lindakay it’s for the kids craft workshop September 17th. Need 6 socks per child and a muffin tin, have to do some branch cutting for the stems, rest I have.

Moon is so bright tonight.

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7b)

Betty, Karen, & well everyone, in reference to growing angel trumpets, does everyone plant them in the ground, grow them & they bloom in late summer, & just before we get cold weather you take cutting to root & keep them indoors, & then after winter is over, around the end of spring, you take your cuttings & plant them out in your yard. Is this what you do to grow them in areas that have cold freezing winters? I just want to make sure I can do whatever way is isn’t to grow them, in containers / left in the ground / or by taking cuttings to root each fall. Karen did you mean that the lady in Lafollette left hers in the ground & they didn’t freeze & die?

Angels trumpets can be grown in containers or in the ground. In warmer areas they are left in the ground. Most of the timebthey will come back. Most will take cuttings before the first frost and root them for more plants the following year. If you grow them in pots, you can bring in the whole container and keep them alive through the winter. Just make sure if you take cuttings, to change the water now and then. Stagnant water will rot the cuttings.

Betty, I love those pumpkins.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

When Datura flowers die off, I take the seeds from the pods & replant. That being said, they will self-seed & one year in Calgary I got 40 seedlings pop up in my south facing flower garden. That was in zone 3B.
Betty - If you don't mind me saying so, that Dr is an a**. To have to prod him to get the answers that he should have been supplying you with as a regular part of an appointment is ridiculous. He thought you'd figure his receptionist could schedule an appointment without his referral?!?!?! Idiot. Sorry to hear the diagnosis is a form of vertigo. Hope it Does go away.
Yes, that was my last camp-out this year. I could camp out in my tent again, for the weather, but I can't put up my tent by myself. IF I could find someone to help put it up, I'm ok by myself to camp & to take it down but needs 2 to set the tent up.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning, another fall day, relaxing but Vanessa is coming for 9 then possibly Nolan John’s grandson to do a birdhouse, he is 6 years old.

Forrest, in another few week I will dig my tall ones out of the ground, cut about 4-5 inches from earth in pot I put them in and then I cut kind of at the eyes of the stems pieces about same 5” and just push them in the pot that has good soil. The ones already in a pot I will add better soil and do same.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Susan, if your weather is like what they are predicting for next 2 weeks think that I would fit in one more weekend. Know maybe not tenting but don’t you have a friend that has a camper who might want to get away this long weekend.
Imagine after this weekend we have about 5 weeks to Thanksgiving, it weekend of 7-8-9th, already getting advertisements for fall fair and early Christmas craft shows

Haven’t heard yet if Darlene and John are bringing Noalan for craft this afternoon, incase I am making supper so i will not need to do it later, yesterday afternoon I made a cocoanut cream pie, would love to cut into it but I will wait to see if they come, if they don’t i will have my knife ready to cut into it.

I got my sister's quilt done. Quilting ladies in Amarillo were awesome to stop what they were doing to get the Bible verse embroidered in the center, then the longarm quilting done.
It is king size.

Thumbnail by taters55 Thumbnail by taters55 Thumbnail by taters55
Victoria Harbour, ON

How beautiful Lindakay, love how you’ve added is it siblings and spouses in the star corners. She will so be touched. A lot of love went into that piece

Yes, all sibling names and spouses.
I am flying to Michigan tomorrow to give it to her, and spend a week or so with her. She isn't doing well. Getting weaker and not eating. Nothing tastes good to her.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Your being there will mean the world to her..
Safe travels, as Judy would say, big arm-wraps from us all

Thank you.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I had another day of cut and make piles. Front landscape was starting to look like a jungle. Today was garbage day and they come late so I did about 2 hours of cutting and Vern's son, Brian, came out and helped put the cuttings it in a very large container and dump it into the two large garbage containers I have. Vern's son is 58, autistic and has only use of one hand because he had cerebral palsy at birth or right after. So you never know when he will help and when he will hide. I told him today I really appreciate the help. I will do the same tomorrow with the cutting and maybe it won't look so much like a jungle. Our high today was 104, 103 tomorrow and 101 on Thursday. Then we dip into the 80s. September's weather is usually ideal for gardening and just having a good time outside.

Linda, that is a beautiful quilt you have made for your sister. Have a safe trip and have a peaceful visit with your sister and her family.

Pat, that had to be a blast to have raspberries on your property to make freezer jam whenever you wanted some. At my granddaughter's baby shower, there were what I thought were biscuits. I got my small plate ready, had some curd and jelly on my plate and smeared on the biscuit. To my disappointment, it was a sweet scone. Sweets are not my thing.

Susan, both of my brothers have way to expensive RVs. But they use them. That is what I would use if I was going camping. You are brave to sleep in a tent. I would freeze. Currently, I sleep under 3 blankets and a sheet. I have the AC set at 80 in my bedroom. I have to, because Emma, my dog, gets to hot if it is higher than 80. The only difference in the winter is I have the heat on 80 and also have an electric blanket turned on on my side of the bed. I always tell everyone I know, if I am in the hospital, lease make sure I have enough blankets and they can cover my neck.

Forrest, Datura do not grow here because it is too hot. Lilacs do not grow here because we do not get cold enough. Same as tulips and many different bulbs. And if they bloom, the bloom last 1 day, so those plants are not on my list. The only plant I grow in containers that must come inside, during the winter, are my plumerias. I lost two prized succulent trees due to heat and too much direct sun. I had three beautiful pots and now have one totally fine, one dead and one is still a maybe.

Betty that is a wonderful photo of the baby and his family. Your Dr. would infuriate me. I had Vertigo and I went to a Physical Therapist that worked only on Vertigo. They would record the eye reaction during a vertigo attach and she knew exactly how to put you into an episode. That way, she could determine how to eliminate them. It took about 2 visits a week and about 4 weeks but they went away.. It was like witch craft but it worked. She was well know by the doctors and worked in a normal Physical Therapy Clinic.

Sorry, time to fed myself and Emma. I ditto Betty. Big arm-wraps from of us, to all of you. My tag is Half Cup Full. I never see a cup half empty.

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

That quilt is beautiful, LindaKay. She will love it. Have a safe trip. Praying for more good days for your sister.

Deb

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning, dark out there, not a blue patch trying to peek through.
Haven’t gone to look at Clearwater/Tampa update, sure hope the hurricane burnt itself out.

Sharon, Lordy, no outdoor gardening for you hours on end in that heat,,Glad Brian was able to offer a hand.. do you find your fall cleanup is as much work as spring?
My aim is when cutting down tall stalks i will move the phlox to other location as I want to try and grow some pretties inside this winter.

think I am a 1/2 cup full type of person, some days not so much. I will have to research a therapist who deals with vertigo around here. i still think it is to do with blood pressure, getting harder to focus my eyes, hard to be on iPad from brightness..took another excedrin migraine awhile ago, should start working soon, i hope as young Evan comes at 9. Getting feedback the my young sewers coming back in the fall, trying to work 3 in but not sure how I will do that.

A piece of cocoanut cream is calling my name,

Safe travels LInda K, prayers her final days will be as pain-free as possible. The quilt is beautiful.

Sharon, it's a shame that Brian does not consistently enjoy the garden work with you. Wouldn't that have been a blessing.

Karen, how much jam did you get made?

Forest, here is hoping your new plant adventures go well this winter, whatever you decide to do!

Susan, Ben & I agreed, no camping for us! LOL I did LOTS of it as a young person. Now, it's a matter of allergies that I have developed make camping impossible.

Marie and I worked on making Lego "kits" yesterday. She ordered the rest of the supplies last night. We will have 50 big bags of used Legos, with 10 x 10 new bases, a box of new 5 action Lego figures & small new box of Lego item (like truck, boat, or motorcycle). All that goes into a drawstring bag. We ran out 10 x 10's and were short the small kits to complete all 50. Thankfully, St Vincent de Paul has storage for all these so as we finish, we can take them over for THEM to hold on to them until Christmas.

Marie's been washing the Cabbage Patch dolls as we get them, and we already have LOTS of clothing kits made up in advance, so the 18" dolls and CP won't be as time consuming as prior years. EVERY year I say we are going to cut back but EVERY year Marie keeps dragging home more dolls. At least I have made a believer out of her to reduce the variety of dolls she gets. All the different sizes were killing me!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Linda Kay - safe travels. I know that your sister will love the quilt. It's beautiful and so lovingly done.
Both datura & lilacs grow here.
I have an arctic sleeping bag, so I'm nice & toasty warm. I use quilts all year round. One, when it's hot, and two when it's not lol
Got home yesterday to find a message asking if our senior's group will cater to a funeral on Friday afternoon. He'd been getting "no" from so many people, and we said "yes". 150 people. I know it's short notice, but he was so pleased. It's right here in town, so we'll make squares & then go to the hall Friday morning to make the sandwiches.
Off for my walk. Chat later.

Verona, ON

Hi everyone,
I am in he midst of a massive vertigo attack. On Sunday I was walking down the lane thinking this is the best I have felt in months. Monday I went to get out of bed and couldn't. I staggered around until I found my cane. At least with that I can get to the bathroom without falling. I haven't had an attack this severe in a few years. I made myself get up and sit in a recliner so will try to stay upright for as long as I can.

Quickly scanned the posts but will come back later hopefully tomorrow reread and comment.

Sending huge hugs.

Dianne/ Kidney guy, that is truly the pits! I hope it passes soon & you are back to feeling "the best" you have felt in months. .

Susan/ Tallulah, bless your group for being willing to do this. When we had to find a PLACE and someone to staff the kitchen for my BIL's funeral, it was so stressful. It's a funeral.... of course it's short notice and when you are already NOT doing your best emotionally, the additional stress is just awful. Again, I say, bless you.

I am finally spending some time clearing/ cleaning my cutting table. I have a lot of work to do in there, fixing/altering some clothes for me and I can't work in that chaos. I have needed to get in there for a while but everything else had priority! Dresses to hem, shirts to change (split at the side seam for some cotton shirts & in some cases dramatically shorten some knit abstract print blouses).

Be well friends, you are in my thoughts and prayers.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I phoned the fellow who needs the catering, and he said that I'd taken a huge worry off him. I'm so glad he got through to me. He'd called grocery stores asking if they would do catering. He was that desperate. Our senior centre is only 3 blocks away from the Community Centre the funeral is at. I feel blessed in being asked & able to do this for his family. He's the son-in-law of the woman who passed away.

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

Pat, I cannot even tell you what a disaster my sewing room is. Since I haven't been able to sew it;s just become a catch-all. Gotta quit that.

Yes person I know in LaFollette doesn't dig up her trumpets.

Betty we don't use jars for jelly. I use these plastic containers. I think they are 5 cups each.

Thumbnail by siliolegma
Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

This is latest photo of the twins and one of grandson Rory. Guess which twin is named after Rory?

Thumbnail by siliolegma Thumbnail by siliolegma

Susan, will your organization make some money on the catering or is it strictly a kind service you are providing? Is it a potential way for your group to make money?? It you can price out the store bought salads etc so it is not so time consuming to put together a meal, it would be an AWESOME service that the funeral home to let people know about.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Evening all, this weather is the best, same as what you were enjoying Dianne, i am so sorry to hear about your vertigo, although i am a big cry baby my vertigo is nothing like yours and Lordy i feel bad for you. Have you heard about Sharon’s vertigo therapy? Know my BIL Paul has major attacks as well and sees someone, will have to ask if it’s a physical therapist. Do you have stairs? Sure wish i lived closer Dianne, couldn’t help you a lot but could help. Am sure the dogs know you are unwell.

What a great idea Karen, I’ve never thought of using those, gee you are creative. Is Rory on the left? So easy for a room to become a catch all? I have had kids sewing all week and haven’t tidied up so once Arianna leaves tomorrow I’ll give it a good clean up, have all long weekend to do it.

Saw on Facebook that Lindakay arrived safely and was able to gift her sister that beautiful quilt. Can’t even imagine how touched she was to get this treasure.

Pat, the Lego project sounds marvellous. Will be harder making clothes for cabbage patch dolls.

Susan, a blessing your group is helping do the luncheon. Here it is quit a fundraising for catholic and legion ladies auxiliary. The last event your group did, did you receive $$ owed?

Been in bed since 4:30pm, gabbed with mom for 1/2 hour. Ziggy is the one who gives me ‘its bedtime’ cue, he didn’t come to bed with me so i went to look for him, he doesn’t come when I call but I found him.

What a beautiful blue moon last night.

My sister way very happy to get her quilt. I will go to joanns and get the fabric to make her some pillow shams to match.

Thumbnail by taters55 Thumbnail by taters55

Betty, You got your blue quilt done! and it looks fabulous!

My friend Debbie sent me home with a FULL car load of stuff to sort and rehome. There are coordinating fabrics, started quilts and lots of patterns, batting and more. I will NOT be keeping much. I just wanted to help her clear the stuff out. It rained so it's still in my car.

Loved your photos Karen!

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

Betty, baby Rory is on the right. He looks just like his uncle he is named for.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Pat, Ziggy had worked himself under the throw for his nap, so must have passed the test. Don’t you love going through goodie bags/boxes you are given especially when there are some unfinished pieces that can be finished.

Karen, maybe there should have been 2 Rory’s

You know how some people wake to smell of coffee brewing well i woke from the smell I’d a skunk grrr

Good morning.
Skunk smell first thing in the morning is horrible.
Thanks for the comments on my sisters quilt. In the next day or two, I will go to joanns and pray they still have that fabric to make matching shams.

Linda/ taters55, I hope the fabric is still available. If not, do you have a plan B?

I am going to try & go thru some of the boxes out of my car before my 10.30 appointment. I fell back asleep in my recliner reading with Stanley on my nap this morning so I have not gotten ANYTHING done!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Afternoon, overcast and cool.

Could you not go online and order from Joanns main store Lindakay, that way you might find your fabric.

Great you decided to sit and read Pat, it is certainly a well deserved rest.

How are you feeling this morning Dianne??

I was at gas station at 7:30am as I needed gas for lawnmower.. got grass cut and weeding of one ditch before Arianna got here for her class, she is such a sweetheart, grandmother is raising her. She wanted to make a throw for her bed so we got blocks cut, and arranged into a design, she will be ready for next time.

Decided it would not hurt to lay on couch and have a nap white battery is charging.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I woke up at 6;45 with the sound of thunder and rain. Got up, looked out my bedroom window and went back to bed. I was cold and snuggled under my blankets and must have gotten warm because the next thing I knew it was 9 am. Got hair partly curled, walked Emma and fed her and took off for the airport to pick up my sister and her son. The dropped me off at home and headed to our home town for my brother's 80th birthday party tomorrow. My daughter, her husband and myself will be leaving tomorrow morning early.Party is at 4pm. After party we will turn around and head back to Las Vegas as my Great grandson will be blessed at church on Sunday morning.

Betty, that is so sweet she is making a quilt for her bed. She will remember that for a very long time. Funny that Ziggy was under the rug. Cats do not to get under or in something. They love close quarters. I cannot believe you are still mowing your garden. To answer your question, winter is pretty easy here except for planting spring flowers and winter vegs. Cut back the roses in February and feed them. Big project in October/November is getting plumerias into the garage before it gets below 45 at night. Yesterday were 107 and today's high has been 83. Crazy weather. It has been rainy and cloudy all day.

Diane, I hope your vertigo is better.

Rain has let up so I am going to take Miss Emma on a quick walk. Three emergency warning in the last three hours but in my opinion, storm has moved on.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Diane - how is your vertigo?

Pat - we will get a profit for the Senior Citizen's Society for the catering. We will do this ad hoc, not as a regular thing. We're not a restaurant or a catering service. The senior centre is meant to be an activity centre and become involved in the community.
That being said, on Thurs I got a call from a town 1 hour away's Youth Corrections, and they have a 13 yo whose father lives in that town, but his mother lives in our hamlet. He has 10 hours left to serve on a 30 hour Community Service and the mother wants him to do stuff in our hamlet. The worker asked me if our Senior Society would supervise his remaining 10 hours & I jumped at the chance. Yes, we will have him do some stuff around the community - washing windows, etc. I love that we're becoming more involved in the community.

Susan/ Tallulah, 13 hours left of community service could go a LONG way to help get cleaning and maintenance done there at your community center. Is there some exterior work that needs done? trim, weed or maybe even PAINT trim, wash down spider webs? I would be giddy with the thought of help!!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Not sure how fast a 13 yo will work, but you're right, 10 hours will do a lot. washing the windows at our Senior's centre is desperately needed lol
Off to town to buy wood filler & sand paper to have my neighbour sand my new-to-me table so I can paint it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.