Have Leaves of Kalanchoe

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

I have several leaves that you can root from the kalanchoe plant. They are either peach or yellow. I don't know which because I took off the leaves before I remembered they could be rooted.

"down the Shore", NJ(Zone 7a)

They root very easily right in the soil; I always try to root any 'prunings'. My problem is geting them to bloom again. Have tried the short-day-length method, did not work. Put up a very few measly flowers in the summer sun. Any ideas how to help this one bloom? Thanks, John

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

John, it has been my experience that they thrive on neglect. I set mine in the southeast greenporch or in a south bedroom and virtually ignore them. I water when I think of it, not often, and mainly keep them from getting direct sun. In the middle of the winter, I will usually go into the area to do something and notice a big bright bloomstalk, usually followed by several more. They don't put up the abundance of blooms all at once as in the florist specimens, but mine mostly originated as wholesale florist products. I just don't go through all of the light/dark control to get a contrived result. If you keep them too well fed and too moist, they will never have to bloom. So neglect them, let them dryout a good deal and hold feeding. A southeast exposure seems to work best. Cool nights might also help.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.