Plant Propagation: the Basics, May 2018

Oxdrift, Canada

Latest twig covered birdhouse. This one for myself. All mounted waiting for a suitable tenant.

Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener
Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Great pic of the cats, Kitt. The rain pic is how it has been looking way too long here. Creeks have overflowed to the woods now.

Thanks Keith, and I got an email my calendar on the way.

Tks, Debra, you've been busy, your garden looks so good, and glad the rain are perking things up. Can't wait to see your garden growing.

Alice, the Aloe is Aloe maculata, commonly known as Soap or Tiger Aloe, and the liquid can be used as soap, has soft spines. It does well in FL wet and humid and heat and pretty cold tolerant. Hope pup doing better.

Fort Worth, TX

Pup is better, thank you Sun. Neat birdhouse Keith. Debra no weeds in your garden, that's impressive, I lost my tomatillo in m uu ne, I think I pulled it,

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

here are couple up and coming in pots
1 Tomato plant
2 zinnia with red leaf aster , The red leaf did not grow before , now there coming up in everything , poof ,,

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Fort Worth, TX

that red leaf aster is interesting. And your zinnia is way better than my seed still in the fridge.... need to put out morning glory and moonflower seed today, it's really too late but fall can be long and glorious here so giving it a try.

No morning glory seeds handy but planted moonflower Ipomoea Alba, fennel, and dill, so far. Buttercup squash and bright zinnias, Thai Basil are next. and maybe some regular basil if I can find room.

Debra did you need black elderberry seeds? I found them in the fridge. Sure they are still good and now fully dry.

This message was edited May 29, 2018 10:19 AM

Fort Worth, TX

before I plant seed, can anyone tell me what this flower is? I have a LOT of seed. I called it a brainflower on the seed envelope, it was a 50 cent special at Ace Hardware, no tag. And if anyone would like seed, let me know.

Thumbnail by Gypsi
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Gypsi I don't know , But I remember that from last season ,
Celosia
Fern leaf Lavender
Petunia
pampas plume celosia
Giant Sunflower

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

poppy bud
Gailardia
coreopsis
Penstemon
Rose bud

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Celosia, Cockscomb, Gypsi. Not the Princess Feather variety. I have a regular, light green leaf, a regular with dark green leaf, and the purple called, uh, dragon, dracula? Dracula, if I remember

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana
Fort Worth, TX

I remembered the cockscomb about 4 hours after I posted but NEVER got the celosia, thank you. Going to try to plant in pots so I can control climate. Still have a few gallons of rainwater to germinate with. Maybe tomorrow I can stay awake to empty the camera.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Here is a poppy and a Blanket flower this morning

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Beautiful Ju....I did a small amount of gardening today. I did a major clean up by the pool and pond equipment. Neighbor's pine trees make that a bi monthly job. But they give us great shade and they are great neighbors. We have both been here for 17 years.

Oxdrift, Canada

Good stuff Ju.
Sherri, I got my calendar today. Sure came fast compared to whatever kind if pony express Zazzle used. The postage stamp was $24, Crazy!!!

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

$24 for a postage stamp! ouch... just ouch.
Gave in and went to a doc in a box, Affinity Drs were all laid off and doors closed so I have to find a new Dr. My doc in a box says really bad ear infection, drop these take these with food, stuff that with cotton. Brain still rattles so cotton hasnt stopped the leak. I am just coasting on the plants and trying to figure out how to stop a few issues in some plants, sigh.

Fort Worth, TX

My ears are funny right now but so far just taking allergy meds and turmeric paste.

I only got the seeds from the fridge that I was going to throw away planted today. Maybe tomorrow will be better. Have a new foster dog.

going to use a cattle panel and make an arch to grow cantaloupe on (I know it's too late, doing it anyway) and shade my tomatoes some at the same time.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Kitt the ear infection sounds nagging , Finding a new Dr , sounds like a headache

Keith , that is a wallet buster ,, good you did not have a case of them coming or going ,,,.

I have more of the larger celosia sprouting , planted more zinnia this evening . only a few days left for annual planting here ,
Today , the pink rose is only as large as a Carnation ,
3 my only Senna plant to return ,

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

Keith, I got mine too, I think last week, missed my pic though it was the Month of April. $24. to mail, sheez that's high.

Poppies are beautiful.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Elderberry, Sambucus canadensis, aroma fills the air, yummm. I have some perilla starts I have decided to plant in ground near my turks cap. So much humidity here I am trying to get my pots at least 24" off the ground. Another tomato pole needs secured for the tops of the Opalka, but I THINK I have some ripening finally..
I watched a confused black swallowtail not know the difference tween asparagus fern and fennel. I am on coasting days for planting now. Just watering and weeding forever and ever.

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Kitt only the privet making aromatic blooms for now ,

I picked a few Nanking Cherries today
Coreopsis
penstemon .

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

1 hop to it
2 end up moving like a snail
3 Four o clock
4 Small celosia
5 Zinnia

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Morning Glory
Petunia
Petunia
Morning Glory
Fern leaf Lavender

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Purple Pirqeutte Petunia , ( that a twister ,lol
Tithonia (had a lot of these , only a few making it ,
White zinnia in back only one that survived being sprout topped and eaten ,
Syrica about to bloom
Snapdragons ,

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Shudder, privet stinks and it is invasive here. Love your starts, Ju. Ear much better.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

1A meadow rue I am trying to bring back
2 What it looked like 4 yrs ago , has not bloomed since
3 Nanking Cherry
4 Morning Glory
5 Dill

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Kitt Good to hear the ear is better Yes but the Azure butterflies and bees love it , privet ,that is

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Mine is prob too large to flower, hiding in a yaupon grove, tho it seems I remember seein blooms on Something there.

Awww all looking good Ju, hope you get more blooms on that Meadow rue, sure are pretty.

Air fragrance smells of magnolias and jasmine here. Lots of wild Elderberry full of flowers and berries, none in my garden though.

Fort Worth, TX

All beautiful, only planted a cattle panel tunnel yesterday. Going to start some cantaloupe to climb it

Oxdrift, Canada

WOW, I have missed lots if action here. Sounds like everyone is busy like beavers. Enjoying the posts. Oxdrift is starting to come alive
1) oxalis molten lava with straw flower on front step
2) honey suckle tree front yard
3) Karl Forrester grass back yard
4) chunk of rock garden the deer didn't feed on all winter
5) wlid arum that Wendy found in a creek last spring on one of our ATV excursions

Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener
Fort Worth, TX

pretty - what species of honey suckle Keith? (and I am so glad I don't have deer)

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Keith ,, looking nice
Pears developing
Knapweed
More nanking cherries
Hybrid Mounding phlox
Daylily in Zebra Grass

Oxdrift, Canada

Sorry Gypsi, I have no idea the species on that honeysuckle. It was a lonely specimen we had at the garden centre I managed and it attracted me when in bloom but it either came without a tag or I lost it

Love that Oxalis, Keith, everything looks wonderful Ju.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Little garter snake maybe 24" long watching me. Morning glory I expected to die has decided to try again, the moonvines are blooming every evening, but I cant smell them. The deer came thru this mornin again, she's picking on my jalapenos and maters...I decided after assessing her appetite to move a few plants.I hope I didnt make them targets, but she did eat less today. Is your red honeysuckl a bush or a vine Keith? We have a red honeysuckl that is a vine, but needs heat, or is it a coral honeysuckl I am thinking of...

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Kitt little snake is cute ..
Rained here mostly 1 This Feverfew is 3 ft tall blooming ball heads

2 a mounding phlox young and trying
3 Zinnia Budding
4 pot of purslane (edible
5 rose carnation blooming (small

Oxdrift, Canada

The honeysuckle is a bush/small tree Kitt. It is about 10 feet tall now. Lighting is terrible for a full shot right now. This is best I can do

Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Daughter was telling me the grocery stores know our fruits are in danger of giving out early this year, the weather has messed more than oranges production up - I suspect melons to be on the short list this year also.
Red honeysuckle is a bush, coral honeysuckle is a vine. We have the vine. The bush honeysuckles are on invasive lists in the south...
Staying cool on these miserable days is hard on my need to exercise. If I just walk outside I have sweats and chills til I adjust back indoors. I am staying a day behind myself lately, can't get the energy to move after I decide what I am goin to do for 24 hrs, chuckl. Just not enough morning cool.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

I love my honeysuckle vines, and as a member of the Kansas Native Plant Society I have spent a few days helping to eradicate bush honeysuckles to give the native wild flowers some room to grow. Here are a few of my lonicera's.

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Not sure where you put everything Debra, bee yoo ti ful! Joe, I swear I am happier when my plants are smaller. Yours look good. In 24 hrs my maters went from leaf to strip. 7 this size I killed this mornin. Gulf fritellary playing in the sprinkler. Shrimp plant, more blooms.

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Debra the Lonicera are really nice , overwhelming here though ,

Kitt the worms keep coming for you (your plants really ,I have a few Echinacea like that , Blooms look nice .

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.