Morning Glories 2018 #05

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

We were here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1472287

From Sept 2013

Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie
Gautier, MS

Beautiful blooms Jackie from 2013. I have favorite morning glories from that year too.

Thanks Helena. 2013 was a very good year.

Gautier, MS

I have vines with buds, anxious for them to bloom.
A bloom from the other day.

Thumbnail by helenahkh

Absolutely gorgeous bloom Helena.
Anxious to see your new blooms. :-)

Gautier, MS

Thanks Jackie, me too.

Gautier, MS

Taking a walk in the yard, found volunteer seedlings in pots. All look like purpureas, not one nil in sight. # 3 are my nils in the greenhouse. Knock on wood no signs of mites on the vine, I already untangled these once and they are trying to do it again.
# 4 will bloom in a day or two.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

Those all look great Helena, esp your nils so large, healthy and looking ready
to explode with buds. Wish I had some that size and that it didn't take me almost 3 months to get blooms. Will try to feed this yr to speed things up.

I

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the new thread.
Beautiful blooms everyone.

You're welcome Linda.

Gautier, MS

Thanks Jackie and Linda.

A chocolate bloom from yesterday and a lavender bloom this morning, which has a "pink splash label", so it crossed or wasn't stable.
Snow pea bloom #2, rose no label, #4 lemon lily

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh
Sunset, LA

Uzu and some offspring of Celeste The single bloom looks a lot like it's mom, the two blooms, not so much. Not-Raiko bloom from a few days ago included to show more Celeste offspring variation.

Such pretty blooms, guys. The crosses have become as exciting to me as the specific varieties. What did Pink Splash look like?

Brought Uzu in last night, was worried that the forecasted morning rain would ruin her first bloom. By far my weirdest plant, growing in more or less a fist of leaves, very dark and puckered. Looked like a cigar sticking out of spinach last night.

Will be getting blooms from Murakumo and Scarlett O'Hara in the next couple of days, hopefully more.

Thumbnail by CatalystSwitch Thumbnail by CatalystSwitch Thumbnail by CatalystSwitch Thumbnail by CatalystSwitch Thumbnail by CatalystSwitch

Love your blooms this morning Helena.
Pretty Rose and great yellow color on your Lily
Cat, wonderful blooms. # 3 has unusual colors, I like it and # 4
is pretty and looking familiar. My favorite is # 5 and her dark color.
Your Uzu is nice too

This message was edited Apr 26, 2018 12:27 PM

Very pretty blooms ladies.

Gautier, MS

Thanks ladies, pink splash had color of a light pink with small white stripes &specks similar to mauve splash. I'll need to start a few more seeds of that to see if somehow I mixed the seeds.
Love your blooms Cat, Uzu is neat vine. I favor Pretty # 3, # 4 has nice color too but all are nice.

Sunset, LA

Thank you, Helena, for the mind-blowing package. Christmas isn't even a close second place to today. I've been browsing previous threads trying to put faces to names on these flowers for about 5 hours now and have barely scratched the surface.

SOH will probably bloom tomorrow, very excited about that. It looks like she'll have the white throat.

While going through the old posts, I found crosses that looked really similar to some that popped up in my garden. This one grew from seeds that were supposed to be Sayaka, though she didn't have the delicate leaves. Also, a couple that came from Fuji no Murasaki seeds that I loved.

#1,2 Sayaka cross
#3,4,5 Fuji no Murasaki cross

This message was edited Apr 26, 2018 8:43 PM

Thumbnail by CatalystSwitch Thumbnail by CatalystSwitch Thumbnail by CatalystSwitch Thumbnail by CatalystSwitch Thumbnail by CatalystSwitch
Gautier, MS

You're welcome Cat. I like giving surprises, hope they make pretty blooms for you.

Beautiful blooms Cat. Wish my Sayaka had that bloom. The first two blooms remind me a bit of one I grew and named Plum Surprise. Your Fuji no Murasaki cross are really nice too. I did grew SOH with the dark red throat, can start setting seeds aside.
I should have a few blooms tomorrow too.

Pretty Sayaka bloom. The 4th bloom looks exactly like one Danas plants shared with me. Had lime leaves and that same bloom

Gautier, MS

I'm happy to see my blooms this morning.
Blue purple bloom from a mix baggie I grew years.
Rose silk that came out way too dark.
#3 and #5 pink splash not
Love the color of my rose #4

Helena, those are beautiful blooms.
Love that orange rose.

Sunset, LA

Oooo a real SOH? Would definitely be interested in growing that, especially after seeing the color of the off-type is still pretty beautiful.

Patootie, do you know if Dana named that one?

Helena, especially love #1 and that orange rose. Wow.

It's looking like every seed ever crossed. I did have a LOT of moths last year. When they weren't feeding my plants to their children, they were pollinating. I only had like 4 Kikyo blooms the whole year, but I'm seeing the shape on everything now. Kosmic Kelli had Kikyo Snowflakes for a mom, though. That might explain these shapes and colors. Bluji Fade crossed before it got to me.

How many times do you let an unappealing plant bloom before you decide to pull it? I know the first few blooms can be kind of weird.

#1 Scarlett O'Hara
#2 Murakumo...?
#3 Moon Dance...?
#4 Celeste...?
#5 Bluji Fade...?

Pretty blooms this morning Helena. Love the Pink splash not.

Gautier, MS

Thanks ladies.
Pretty blooms Cat. I like your SOH even if it has a white center. It does look like the bees and moths were busy pollinating your blooms.
Jackie, I guess I should just name a lavender bloom.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

I'm back, glad to see some blooms! Hi Kitt! Hope you followed us to this new thread.
Cat your blooms are awesome, most of my blooms look similar to yours. We trade here a lot. I got my eye shot this am, been working since I have been back, but today I planted some seeds from Jackie, and Monday will plant some seeds from Helena.
Someone sent me some seeds from Texas, so will try those as well...
Some of last years' blooms...

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

Oops, just now see that I missed your post Cat. Lovely blooms, beautiful
bright colors.
Dana did not name the lime lvs with the pretty blooms that resembled your bloom..
I think she sent them to me in the original pks from japan so'
she probably did not know for sure what i would get.(all marked as a mix)
I don;t pull any of my vines that I;m unhappy with. I usually just'don;t gather any sds from that vine.

Lovely blooms everyone.

My computer apparantly not going to the newest posts. missed your post too
Debra, beautiful blooms from 2017

Gautier, MS

Beautiful blooms Cat. I haven't grown SOH for couple of years so might try again. It's always nice to get crosses but I don't like the idea of loosing the original bloom.

Glad your back Debra, beautiful blooms. Looks like your first bloom might be SOH?

Did a couple of collages of my roses and morning bloom of lavender and afternoon, also from blue mix morning and changing color in afternoon. Iris bloom.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh
Gautier, MS

A few more repeat blooms from today.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh
Sunset, LA

Wow, incredible blooms, ladies.
Debra, is that a real SOH? Stunning. The color of the pink in person is hard to describe, bet it's even better across the whole bloom. Is #2 Moonflower? Love the Fuji no Murasaki cross.

Helena, really enjoying the collages. They really do put on a show during their few hours, don't they? What's #3? Second set is gorgeous as well.

I woke up after 11am and mercifully, the blooms were still open. It's becoming more apparent how much crossing happened. The only problem with (and the only reason I'd consider pulling them) that is that they all appear to have crossed with Kosmic Kelli (mother = Kikyo Snowflakes), so I'm getting a lot of samey flowers, many with the Kikyo shape. I don't want to end up growing 80 of the same flower next year.

#1 Akatsuki no Umi
#2 Sazanami, small but lovely
#3 Fuji Flame
#4 Fuji no Murasaki cross
#5 Fuji no Murasaki cross (I love this one)

Sunset, LA

We started keeping chickens this year. We have Dot, Pearl, Blanch, Belle, Lucy, and Babydoll. Praying that they help with the caterpillars.

Thumbnail by CatalystSwitch
Sunset, LA

I promise this is the last one today.

Gautier, MS

Thanks Cat. We enjoy seeing your pics. Beautiful blooms. I don't think I have the heart to pull my vines either. But I guess not wanting crosses from them makes sense. Hope your chickens get all the caterpillars.
That 3rd collage is of blue purple mix,the first bloom is when it was turning color in the afternoon, the 2nd pic was taken in morning.

Beautiful mg blooms this morning Helena. Love your Roses too

Cat great blooms you';re getting too. I fancy the Fuji flame.
I absolutely adore the chickens. I had one we named Lola and we loved her. I didn;lt bring her in one night and the coons got her. Still not over losing her.
Pretty cat too, I love my kitty's.

Sunset, LA

Sorry you lost Lola, that is so sad. We've been very lucky so far.

Only one jmg worth sharing from this morning. Weird pattern on it that reminds me of the star creatures on Howl's Moving Castle.

Beautiful mg Cat, very unusual. I like it,

Gautier, MS

I agree that it's beautiful bloom and a neat bloom. I like it too.

Gautier, MS

Have several blooms this morning, the purpurea and hige are volunteers.

Sunset, LA

Gorgeous, Helena, especially like #2.

Not a whole lot for me this morning. Got a mass of Purpureas starting to climb. Either need to find a large structure or *gulp* transplant. I honestly didn't think this many would come up after only 3/40+ came up by the chicken coop and those were nicked and soaked with the root tails.

Does anyone grow Thunbergia from seed?

#1 Fuji Flame
#2 various purpureas

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Dang it, I can't find my "Love" button... :D

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.