...so what are you up to?

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Hey, Agave, I LIKE your new avatar. Mine looks like hot fudge but it is actually molasses from this article http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/4052

Terry wants to know if I am going to keep writing for DG, Anguish! I don't know what to tell her!

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

Miss me, gang??? My knee replacement surgery wasn't as bad as I had feared,,Rehab place was fantastic!! I've been home 3 days (still use pain pills daily but not 'round the clock like at first0. . . my gareden helper's mother (a friend) is a real god-send!! Brought me home, re-arrnged my lil apt so me&my walker could get around...comes every day, usually several times a day..her mother is my crioss-the-yrd neighbor and she comes to visit every day

I've read and read and read this thread to cathch up, so can't remember which one of you said whatefver, so bear with me. . .
Grany's birthday bash was a huge success, judging by how much and long she grinned!! I made cupcakes (the size she likes..just right for eating in front of the TV and nthing thqat needs wqashing afterwards!!): apple caramel cupcakes with buttercream frosting - 6 per guest in disposible aluminum pans, with lids. I also made Granny's favorite Meyer lemon bars (2-3 per guest). Her neighbor/friend decorated the stair banister with balloons and I gave her a gift bag full of Granny's favorite chocolate bars etc to give Granny at the birthday blowout. Her nephew ande his ladyfriend gave her a solar-powered waving plant, book, helium balloon and a plant (wonder if it's still alive??) Finally, I gave her MY preasent, at our favorite ice cream place: an old-fashioned single-piece of metal ice cream scoop, a package of dozens of plastic disposable spoons, 4 dozen little plastic disposable bowls . . . . and 3.5 # tub of her favorite ice cream!! (her nephew used the brand-new short saw I had bojught to saw it in half, so it'd fit in our freezers, , , ,she put half in her freezer the next day and stored the other half in my freezer) Remember I said she liked eating in her recliner, in front of the TV, and using stuff she could just throw in the trash can next to her, with no dishes to wash??? In aboiut two weeks, she had eaten ALL 3.5# of ice cream!!!

I speak several lnguages (espec9ally typo-ese! lol) I can tell you firat hand that bad words are the first words learned in any new lnguage (afterall, gottqa know what NOT to say. . right??) Occassionally when I can't stop myself, I'll run through different languages in a string of colorful profanities..but I've found it prudent to THINK badnwords...I could nevere be sur3e someone else didn't also speak that languqage

I have a Geranium "Dragon's Heart". . . the 1st year, it had. one straggly vine with one flower..come winter, the plant died back to nothing. This spring (its 2nd year with me) it surprised me and came back, but as an up-right plant with five separqte stalks with leaves, all arising from the same place in the griound: and with NO flowers. How long will it take before its a magnificent flowering bush?? (this year, it was only about 5-6 inches tall.)

I've also bookmarked alot of sites with info on winter sowing, but haven't read any yet. I in tend to winter sow Geum "Mrs. J. Bradshaw", hopefully in late Nov. Now while I'm taking it easy would seem to be just the right time to read up on HOW and to find the seeds. (These seedlings will be transplanted in to my smallest garden, surrounded by already-established grape hyacinth. . .muscarii armenicum)

If I do this right, here's a group picture taken at Granny's birthday bash. .

Thumbnail by BetNC
Casa Grande, AZ

Carrie....... Wise Cactus said,
"If you are seeking an answer about writing then seek advice from another writer. There's a reason wise words written in the past are still read today. 'Unto thy own self be true.' William Shakespeare."

Bets..........Hey girl! Get with you later as I have to start my day. Glad to see you around.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Bets, that is a fabulous group shot! Who is everybody--the ones with dark hair I mean.... Granny I can figure out.

Midland City, AL

Hey Gang! Haven't felt capable of writing well enough lately. Sleep problems. I spent a night in the hospital for test. The doc is still looking over the data she collected, but she says I need a CPAP machine. LOL. I haven't got Kay's machine paid for yet. Kay says I' a copy cat. I tell her she must be contagious. :-(
It could be sleep apnea is just the Disease of the Year for 2016. The VA is in charge of my case. You can bet some less expensive options will be tried before they foot the bill for a CPAP. I am open to experimenting with other options, I suspect I will have a harder time adjusting to wearing a breathing mask while I sleep than Kay did, if the VA decides a CPAP is what is needed. Kay claims the only reason she can share a bedroom with me without complaining is she doesn't wear her hearing aids at night. Anything that helps me sleep right again and stops my snoring would make her doubly grateful.
Anyway, it's great to see you back, Bets. Glad to hear recovery was easier than expected. Do you have to do any home therapy?
I can't say much about Granny's ice cream habit. No one around here can be fully trusted when there is a tub of ice cream in the house. We've started buying individual servings or making a run to Dairy Queen to control our consumption. I'm still impressed a little old lady can plow through that many sweets. It doesn't sound like diabetes is something you'll ever have to worry about. Good genes on that front. :-)
Hm-m-m, cacti have more predators than I imagined. I did once see a turtle eating the fruit off a prickily pear. They have longer necks than you would imagine or the ability to really stretch their necks out.
We're in the hot days, cool nights phase. It still gets up into the 90's during the day, but there is occasionally a bite in the air first thing in the morning. It has been so dry there is a burn ban in effect now, but before that sitting around the fire at night was a pleasure. We usually spend Halloween around the campfire, but if we don't get rain soon, we will have to make other plans this year.
Stalwart flowers like marigolds, goldenrod, Helen's flower, Texas blue mist, and Indian blankets are blooming. Not terribly exciting, but reliable. The senna Kay grew from seed she pick up at a DG plant swap have flowered for the first time. We didn't plant any crysanthemums this year. I think I would rather add an aster, instead of the usual mums. They are more reliable about coming back.
I've been reading on dry gardening to make better use of the eastern boundary. You're doing exactly what the Arizona landscaper recommend, TTC. Although, considering most desert plants, the landscaper's advice to "embrace the desert" sounds painful. ;-) The jujube in my last photos is one you might see in the neighborhood, BTW. The desert is closer to their natural home. Only two species I know of can handle our humidity.

I emailed your Dust Bowl article to someone recently, Carrie. Kay's family doesn't have much to do with one another 9 months of the year unless there is a family crisis. They start hooking up again as the holidays approach and do some work on their family history website. One of Kay's relatives was puzzled why this branch of the family would have left Texas to a poor region like the Ozark Mountains of Arkansas. I imagine during the Dust Bowl years and for a while afterward, Texas and Oklahoma were
The seed pods and fruit is still what is catching my eye. tough places to live. The green mountains must have been like an oasis after living on the plains.
Pic 1&2. Unknown one but I like the look of it taken at Dothan botanical gardens.
Pic 3. Melissa's Senna in flower.

Thumbnail by seacanepain Thumbnail by seacanepain Thumbnail by seacanepain
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I took a lot of pictures yesterday for Jacqueline. For Ray's birthday in September, Emma and Nancy got him (and by extension, me) tickets to see Chick Corea downtown. The concert was last night, and was memorable in every respect. We got there extremely early (4:30 for a 7 pm concert) and had a lot of time to wander around downtown. So I took a bunch of foliage pictures. All I need to to is figure out how to get them from Facebook to here.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Ok pictures:

Thumbnail by carrielamont Thumbnail by carrielamont

oooooooooo pretty!

I forg3et to think of Maine as having 3 other seasons....all I think of is. . . . COLD! SNOW!! ICE!! bbbbbbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Hey lady :) I live in Massachusetts, not Maine!!!!!!! Oh my goodness! And we have other seasons too, the spring is BEAUTIFUL, the summer can be muggy and hot but mostly nice and the fall is traditional New England fall. Two years ago we had so much snow, but last winter was pretty mild and no snow to speak of. You should come visit sometime. Winter can be very pretty if you like that stuff. The only problem is the snow gets dirty and gross, and if there's a lot of snow, it gets hard to get around. We all get pretty cabin feverish in the winter.

hmmmm....so if MA is massachusetts, is maine ME??? that is sooo wrong, on many levels! rofl

Casa Grande, AZ

Hey guys, :D

Long time no speak. Sorry for that. My fault. Been tired. Happy to report no seizures as of late just self inflicted misery. Let's see...I've been on this, "I need to make myself feel better." kick so let me count the ways:

For the last 6 weeks I have systematically take cigarettes out of my pack. First few weeks I took out 3. Presently I am taking out 5. So everyday I am smoking 15 cigarettes instead of the 20 in the pack. I have been able to do this with out noticing the effects.

The goal has been every 3 weeks to reduce the amount of cigarettes I smoke by 2 a day. So next 3 weeks I will remove 7 from my pack. Then the next 3 weeks 9 from my pack, etc until there are no more cigarettes.

Concept is that the nicotine drop is so slight and imperceptible that my body is not supposed to notice the missing 2 cigarettes without being stressed. It has been working. It has not been that hard to stick to and I am not freaking out and rarely think about how many cigarettes I can smoke.

But nicotine withdrawal is nicotine withdrawal physically even if you don't notice it psychologically.

Let's see...no more Diet Coke. Nothing with aspartame. I mentioned all the horrific things with that.

Let's see...no more of certain foods. One, I don't need them. Two still want to lose weight. Few extra pounds hanging around like a stray dog.

I've reduced my meds by 100mg. I think some of the seizures may once again be coming from being overdosed. I'm in menopause so my hormones and bodily responses/triggers are different. When I started menopause----'officially' 4 months ago my seizures dropped off but my med levels stayed the same. Seizure meds can work in reverse causing seizures if you are taking too much when unnecessary or the seizures are less severe. So...I reduced meds last week and so far have felt better. Seizures and seizure activity remains to be seen.

All of this 'healthy' stuff has done nothing but make me dry, thirsty and wanting to drink an ocean of water every day. I'm either manic and hyper and wound up and I can't sleep at night and toss and turn and can't get my mind to shut off OR I'm in a coma at 6:00 in the evening. My energy is lagging and I'm physically achy.

So this is what healthy feels like. *ROFL*

Most likely all of this is withdrawal symptoms and should go away in about 30-90 days or so.

And my hair is my hair. Still shedding but not as bad. Still breaking but not as much. Menopause is the answer to that. Plain and simple. No other reason. Hair gets drier, thinner, changes texture and snaps, breaks and falls out. Diet changes help but not much else I can do in regards to my hormones.

We won't discuss my pathetic skin either. Uh.....Dave doesn't know I whipped out the credit card and did some Shiseido shopping. Oooh I'm in trouble!

And wah...wah...wah....it's hot here! Still 97 in the shade. Grrrrrrrrrrr. Can't wait for it to cool down. It is just too much right now. I have things I want to do outside but nothing is getting done. Happy to say the weed mesh is gone! Had my landscape neighbor take care of that for me. gave me a real deal too. On the plus side it has cooled down late at night and early morning. That hint of 'cool-ish' where it is nice to put on the robe in the a.m. or turn off the air in the evening.

On the plus, plus side this has made it nice to sit out with a glass of win in the evenings and just think about what to do with the back yard now. Spring time I can go crazy with planting! YIPPEE.

O.K.................Everyone else.

Bets, glad things are going well for you with regards to your physical therapy. That's good news. And love the picture of Granny and friends. *Thumbs up* . Girl...you let that woman eat all that sugar! What's wrong with you? Granny is going to be in overdrive, snapping at you and cranky as ever before she gets that next fix. Oh well, her dentist should love her. Are you sure she doesn't have a secret crush on him and eats all those sweets to have an excuse to go see him? *tee-hee*.

Jim-----
Sorry about the sleepless nights and the need for a CPAP machine. My BIL has to use one but it helps him considerably and has worked wonders in terms of his breathing and snoring. Uh...I agree with you. I would seek some less expensive alternatives first like a different pillow, sleeping propped up, nose strips, mouth guards, etc.

I have to say I can't blame Kay for not wearing her hearing aids at night. Snoring is disruptive and ruins the other person's sleep and state of being the next day. I roll over and sleep on my good ear (I'm deaf in one) so I don't have to hear Dave. He gives me a few good nudges and shoves until I roll over.

Even Zoe snores and makes quite the racket when she dreams. Legs and tail going. Little barks and growls. *LOL* Would be amusing to set a camera up with audio since the 3 of us sleep in the same room. Amazing the 3 of us get any sleep at all. I'm sure you will figure out the best course to take. Dave has sleep apnea also. Not as severe as his brother who uses the CPAP. Dave deals with it pretty much by sleeping propped up with an extra pillow or sleeping on his side and using a Breath Right nose strip.

Carrie...........
Thanks for those lovely foliage pics. Soooooo pretty. I've looked at them about 6 times now. You're so lucky this time of year. The Chic Corea concert sounds amazing also. Yes, I do know who he is and I like his stuff. Sounds like a great night. Taking in nature, a great concert and your hubby's birthday. Hopefully Ray had a good one. Tell him belated Happy Birthday from me, Dave, Zoe and all the cacti kids.

All......
Envy your planting and plants that are still very active. Here, there are a few random blooms but that is because the weather is warmer than it should be prompting this. For the most part the Aloes, Agaves and pole cacti are hunkered down and resting now. They will gear up and get back into action in the Spring. In a way they are like other plants. They go dormant for a period, more catatonic I should say since this is AZ.

I will keep you all posted on what I'm doing and how I'm feeling. I'm sure better as time progresses. *eye roll* I just hate to dump and whine all the time. Don't worry. I won't go away for long. You're stuck with me. *tee-hee*.

Keep the pics coming, the gardening updates and thank you all for letting me know how you guys are doing and are feeling.
Lots of hugs.
Peace. Out.
Jacqueline.

Casa Grande, AZ

Since we were on the topic of sleep may I present sleeping beauty. *ROFL*

Thumbnail by Agavegirl1 Thumbnail by Agavegirl1 Thumbnail by Agavegirl1
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Jacqueline, I'm sad that you're having ANY seizures, but I guess that's the way of your world.

Your plan of gradually cutting back in cigarettes is PERFECT. That's the way I got rid of klonipin and tramadol. There is a level at which nobody can tell if you had 3 or 3.1 cigarettes. Not you, not your nicotine addiction, not nobody. So just cut it out super-extremely gradually. As a never-smoker, I can't really understand what you're goung through, but my body definitely has been addicted. I wouldn't really say it's an ADDICTION, but when I have coffee regularly, I have to have it to feel like myself. If I cut it out suddenly, I get headaches and all kinds of symptoms. I think ADDING caffeine is maybe worse though, I get jittery and feel sick and horrible and shaky and yuck. Plus I often poop suddenly too! (TMI) Anyway, Ms Jacqueline, I am very impressed, proud of you, in awe, pat you on your virtual back, give you a hug, et cetera. Good work

I have noticed that I needed to water my containers more often this summer, but we just drove out to the country on an errand, and places that used to hsve lakes or reservoirs right up to the edge of the road are now almost bone dry. I mean, there is no place in 2016 where the highway goes through standing water, but we are usually aware of the lakes being full. Nowhere near full now.

This message was edited Oct 21, 2016 2:18 PM

Midland City, AL

Hey Gang! I fell off the wagon for a while with my one remaining addiction. Computer games. Sad thing is I wasn't playing. I've been spending all my computer time trying to figure out why Skyrim will not load properly. I think it might be Windows 10, but I've stopped worrying at it. There are other games.
Lovely photos, Carrie! It's easy to see why autumn in New England draws leaf peepers from around the world. I especially like the one across the water with the weeping trees. I got a laugh from the FB photo showing the street performer's one-man-band set-up. Did you get to hear him/her play that thing? ROFL. .
Still dry as a bone here. The summer was unusually wet so it isn't noticeable yet. Looks like we will be roasting any Halloween marshmallows in the fireplace though. Hope we get rain before November. That's Native American Heritage Month. I can't imagine how a stomp dance would be conducted without the fire. That's a big part of the ritual.
Do you have to deal with trick-o-treaters in the apartment complex, Bets? We haven't even put up any Halloween decorations. Sent the GC's Halloween packages, but that's it. The four boys like to run around in the woods so I sent them hand-crafted survival bracelets. You know, those wrist bands with a compass, flint and small blade for cutting. The band unravels for a nice length of thin rope. I wasn't impressed with the emergency whistles on the band and I thought the youngest might not be ready for fire making and even a small blade. I threw in some coach whistles. The kids received the packages a few days ago. My DIL probably wants to throttle me about now! I guess I've done my trick or treating.
I'll pray for your success quitting smoking, TTC. I do know how tough it is. I don't think I would have made it without Commit lozenge's and Kay's nagging, but I went cold turkey. Reduce smoking and lose weight simultaneously? Lady, you do believe in challenging yourself, don't you. I still haven't lost the weight I gained when I quit. Working on it though.
I did get the last of the camellias Kay grew from seed transferred from pots to the ground. They are all Camellia sinensis, the source of black, green and white tea. I'm not much into ornamental camellias, but tea camellias are a different matter. Sweet tea is my caffeinated beverage of choice. (I don't know how anything that smells as good as coffee can taste so bad. A latte is the only coffee I can stomach.
Kay is thrilled with her seed growing success. She tried growing tea camellias from seed once before. It was a total failure. The seeds were evidently too old or they had been allowed to dry out. She had an 80% germination rate this time with fresh seeds from some tea company in the Carolinas. We should never have to buy tea from the grocery store once they are well established. The trees will reach about 20' tall at maturity, but I found space for all but one and it went to a good home. All the camellias will add to the looks of the place too. We needed more evergreens for winter interest. The list of conifers that will grow this far south is short, but there are quite a few broadleaf evergreens that can handle our version of winter.
We also got an olive tree planted in ground that was getting too big for its pot. I expected it to be more root bound than it was considering it was over 12' tall and had produced a few olives. It was only beginning to outgrow its 5 gal. container. I just hope we didn't wait too late into fall to transplant. It would probably have been okay in its container until spring. There should be a real harvest next year if it has time to adapt to being in ground before cold weather comes. Winter doesn't seem to be in any hurry to get here and it is a very healthy tree. I'm not too concerned. Arbequina olives are mainly used for oil production, but Nadi says it makes a tasty table olive. They are just not as large as the usual California table olive. The trees are short enough to be planted under power lines, but they get wide enough to have that cool sculptural look that larger olive trees have. Olive oil producers pack the trees close for maximum harvest. The trees are rarely given the chance to stretch out and grow naturally. I like the idea of an evergreen I can plant under. The shade is too dense with broadleaf evergreens like magnolias and the camellias.
I transplanted plugs of Zoysia grass under the canopy. It's an easy to maintain grass in this area. Fingers crossed it will grow there since the tree is on the sandy eastern slope and we have to think about erosion control. The nicest thing about Zoysia is it will choke out the bahaia and orchard grasses and it doesn't have to be mown anywhere near as often.
The wild cucumbers (a.k.a.: olive cucumbers/ Cyclanthera pedata) began producing fruit when the nights were cool, about the time real cukes, meaning members of the cucurits family, stopped producing fruit. The taste is definitely like a real cucumber, but they don't have as crisp a texture. The shape is more like tiny, green, crooked neck squash to my eye, but I guess they could have come by their Dutch name because they are about the size of olives. The smaller the fruit when it is picked, the crisper and more cucumber-like. The taste of the larger fruit is a little like squash to my taste buds. Others must share that opinion. I notice recipes for older fruit resemble recipes for squash.
I'm trying to convince Kay not to plant as many of the showy, sweet-smelling datura next year. They have a downside other than being poisonous. Common names like Devil's Apple and Thorn apple should have warned me what to expect. My SIL, who gave Amargia the seeds, informs me I need to get every "apple" or I will have the plants everywhere come next summer. The big, white, night-blooming flowers were a great addition to the Moon Garden, but I want to make sure they are limited to the Moon Garden next year.
Pix: Datura blooms and "apples". Wild cucumber (Cyclanthera pedata) fruit.

This message was edited Oct 23, 2016 8:05 PM

Thumbnail by seacanepain Thumbnail by seacanepain

this apt complex gets little to no ntrick-or-treaters. (Maybe it has something todo with the fadct that I close the drapes, turn off the lights in the front of the house and ignore any stray knocks on my door!)

I DO try to avoid the after-Halloween sales of trick-or-treat candy. . . . down to just 1-2 bags! hahah

Fall is definately here, with colder weather and gusty winds. All this talk of planting, gardening, etc. makes me. . . ambivalent! On one hand, I'm kinda envious of all y'alls gardening activities and blooms and fruit and the PLANNING!Your place is gonna be gorgeous, Jim, with all your hard work! But on the other hand, just the THOUGHT of getting outside in all the cold, windy weather makes me EVER so glad NOT to! To be truthful, when I dispose of my Tomato Jungle (mid-September disease to first frost in mid-October), I plant spring bulbs and cover my flower beds for winter: walking outside is just too precarious (then, too, I DET#EST being cold and/or wet!)

All my flower beds are put to bed for the winter, this year by mid-September (that pesky surgery REALLY put a damper on recent gardening!). I had 2 large bushes removed from my hellibore garden, to allow bettern spacing...(the new ones were part of my front shade garden. . . until the mgt cut down the big shady oak tree without warning. . my garden helper saved almost all the shade plants by elongating my filtered-sun garden and planting them whever he could find space there: which left an awfully crowded gardeen!) I know, I know that the hellibores should have been moved/re-arranged this month - but I just can't this year.

I DID have my new garden helpers plant the spring bulbs I had them dig up beginning of summer for me to cure (and them to relocate inthe fall!) The daffodils were over-shadowing my hellibores, most of the crocus did not come up but my ornamental onion absolutelly THRIVED alone in their garden. The narcissus bulb fly destroyed over two-thirds of my daffodils, but the original 5 allium are now SEFVEN!! I had my garden helpers plant the daffys and allium in a row, along the back of my hellibore/filtered shade garden; I told them to use their judgement on alternating daffys and alliums. . . the few left-overs, I sent over to my neighbor with my garden helper (her grand-daughter), who planted them((I'll get to enjoy them every day when I look out my kitchen window while washing dishes!!)

This remionds me of the little gardening project I had scheduled for later this month: winter sowing Geum Mrs. J. Bradshaw for the garden thaqt the ornmental onions (allium) came from. I need to order the seed!!

This is the beginning of my 3rd week home and I've mastered nearly all of my normal winter-living chores with a walker, of course! I still must rest frequently with my knee elevated, but I'm back to cooking/washing clothes. . . but for the life of me can't even figure out how to vacuum my floors while using the walker!

I know this walker phase will be over...but I'm so OVER this!!! I could complain about why, but my clock says time to quit this and get ready to go to therapy!

Casa Grande, AZ

Hi guys!!! :D

O.K. : crabby, pissy, achy, irritable, uncomfortable and tense. To answer the question of 'How are you doing?' On the more positive side, "YES" sill sticking to my program despite aforementioned complaints! In two more weeks it will be time to remove 7 cigs from my pack. Doing well and keeping at it. NOT easy but far easier than quitting cold turkey.

Thank you for the prayers Jim. They are much appreciated and much needed. May I say Namaste and congratulate you on your good Karma in being able to do it cold turkey. Quite impressive.

Yes, the eating thing is problematic. I think it isn't so much a substitution for the hand to mouth activity of smoking as it is a way to 'do' something with the excess energy, adrenalin, or whatever it is raging around in you while you go through withdrawal. Food is just another brain stimulating substitute.

As for the quitting smoking and losing weight simultaneously that isn't going to happen. Best I can hope is to maintain or not morph out of control. I wanted to shed a few pounds but that involved exercising. Exercising requires the ability to breath without coughing up a lung. So I decided that when I got down to 10 cigs a day (1/2 pack) I would be able to resume (o.k.---start) exercising.

I do have to confess although I am not 'exercising' per se just burning up physical energy helps me in the easing of tension with the smoking. I went out today and moved some plants around, repotted two, dragged a bag of soil around, did some watering. You know. Just little putzing stuff but I felt so much better and calmer for it and a lot more at peace. I figured when I'm read to resume my Pilates work out routine not only will it help me lose the few pounds I wanted but give me the same 'sane' kind of feeling. Two for one deal. * roll eyes---lol*

Thank you Carrie. I'm glad you are proud of me and that makes me feel so good and like this is a worthwhile endeavor as others can and do appreciate my work and efforts. Yeah....caffeine. It can pull that sneaky bowel thing. Ever think of mixing it half and half with decaf? Or just do what I'm doing. Keep lowering the amount of caffeinated beverage and increasing the decaf in the mix until you are at the point of drinking all decaf. Headaches are the worse. That in and of its self would be enough to motivate me.

As for the watering......yep. We are at an all time low with our reservoirs, lakes, dams and ponds. Our potted plants are drying out fast and that ground of ours which is normally so nice and easy to turn is like cement and just dry 'dirt'. Today it is 95 degrees.

Thursday it is supposed to be 98 but most likely will hit triple digits. The rest of the week in the low 90s. We will not see anything in the 80s until November 1st! ENOUGH ALREADY. Everyone out here (except the snow birds) has had about enough of this already. From what I'm reading you all have the same dry streak going as I do. So much for fall right? I haven't given up completely. I still have hope for some rain. I saw heat lightening the day before last although we had no rain. I am hoping the clouds and ozone will gather enough of this awful humidity we have and turn it loose. I'm being an optimist here.

Hey Bets. :D

Sorry to hear about the gardening woes but am truly glad you have some helpers around. Your plans sound like they are progressing in spite of the cold and wind. I think you are getting more done than you realize. Probably just don't feel like it since you aren't the one doing the actual physical work. Sounds like you got a good start on the fall/spring bulb planting.

It also sounds like you are getting around a little better and things are getting easier. Sorry. Got no suggestions on how to push a vacuum on a walker. Will be interesting though. Just don't hurt yourself----please! You have enough problems.

As for my yard, I finally got the weed mesh out of the back yard. That means it is 'usable' and I can go to town on it. I have to think about what to put out there because I have to share the yard with Zoe and Dave is being unreasonable (in my opinion) and overly possessive about one corner of the yard. For some reason he seems to think a place for the BBQ grill is more important than a place for my plants. *Sigh* we'll see. (*tee hee*)

Gotta go but I will get with you all later.
Have a great day.
Peace. Out.
TTC

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

You're right about easing out of the caffeine a little at a time, but I haven't had caffeine in a few years. I have never been as addicted to it as some people are, but there was definitely a time in my life when I missed it if I didn't have it.

The best reasons for not smoking that I know of (besides lung cancer and stroke) are
-food tastes tastier
-you don't smell bad to people around you who don't smoke
-you get a better sense of smell back.

I'm not a good one to talk to about losing weight; I lost 50 pounds without meaning to. And when I DID try to, I couldn't lose an ounce. Luckily, the weight loss seems to have slowed or stopped. I fit all the skinny clothes I had saved and got rid of most of the "fat" clothes, Liking the feel of being this size. I still scowl at myself in the mirror, but that's different.

We're dreading our first frost up here...any day now. The Caladiums died and the Sweet Potato VIne wilted. The Begonias are in the house, terrified of the cold. I'm very fatalistic about the annuals dying but Ray always frets. He rescues house mice, too. This year we are going to try to keep some Begonias and Geraniums for next spring, We will wait and see how that goes.

Casa Grande, AZ

Hi guys, :D

Hope everyone is doing well. Fine here. Just hot and tired. 95 today. It was 100 on Thursday. (Grrrrr.). Been busy. Had to go do my civic duty and get out to talk to people about voting, early voting and turning in their early ballots. Has kept me busy the last couple of days. That's all right. Good thing I guess in that I am doing my part for what it's worth.

Either way I just can't wait for it to be over. I am soooooo tired of hearing about her e.-mails and who Trump has been playing grab-ass with. Just 11 more days before everyone has to shut up and put up one way or the other. Thank goodness. Enough already.

As for me and the garden, still hot but the plants are looking somewhat better if only slightly. Fingers crossed for that cold snap---or as 'cold' as we get this time of year. I'll be truly surprised if we hit the low 60s for December or January. When you think of it, it is still in the upper to mid 90s and it is almost November. November will probably be in the upper to lower 80s. So it does not seem improbable that December and January will be unseasonably warm as we are presently 10 degrees above the average.

First frost and the cold that it brings, especially in New England, does not sound delightful but I have to confess from a 95 degree every day standpoint it sounds refreshing. Your plants are dying from the cold snap and mine from heat exhaustion. *shrug*. I stopped trying to figure out the weather and just tried to figure out what I can do to survive and what plants will take it throughout the year.

Tell Ray I said it is sweet that he rescues the little mice and I sure hope he is putting them outside far from the house! As for us, the moths are insane. We've had a 'moth invasion' due to the dryer and hotter than normal conditions. On the plus side, the Humming birds are still here which is a treat. Usually they're long gone by October. Since the weather is still so warm, they are hanging around. Enjoy seeing them.

And yes Carrie, I'm the same way in regards to losing weight. When I try it seems impossible to lose any and a struggle to maintain. When I don't think about it or have been unwell it fell off like crazy. I dunno. Middle age and menopause doesn't make the weight thing any easier.

I got rid of all my fat clothes too. All I have are my skinny clothes now so I can't afford either literally or figuratively to gain weight as I will have nothing to wear. It is also good motivation to keep me in check. I can't ignore things and switch to a bigger pair of jeans when my stuff gets snug. I am forced to do something. It also keeps the pounds from snowballing. It is far easier to lose 3, 5 or 8 pounds then it is to lose 10, 15, or 20!

We're women. We always scowl at ourselves in the mirror no matter what our age, height, weight, wardrobe or anything else. We say we should or do accept ourselves as we are and celebrate our age BUT we all know better. Those are platitudes or rationalizations. If this wasn't true $200.00 face creams would never sell, gyms would go out of business, no magazine for women would ever have the words 'diet' , 'weight loss', 'look younger', 'up your metabolism', etc. No woman would wear makeup and the hair coloring industry would be out of business. Fify year old models would be on the front cover of Vogue as often as fifteen year old ones. (The new professional magazine model standard age is now 12-15. Babies but they're made up to look like they're 30.)

Youth in a bottle and the promise of is an ever lasting hope when it comes to women. So scowl away. Having standards is nothing I sneer at. Everyone should strive for perfection as long as they realize perfection is unique and individual and that every person has limitations. Perfection is not attainable but that is no reason to not try, or to let one's self go. I like to think I strive for the best or top of my class/level/age rather then perfection. As long as I'm pleased then that IS 'perfection'.

And yes.......still plugging away on the stop smoking thing. Now taking 7 a day out of my pack which leaves me 13 a day. Since there are 20 cigs in a pack and I remove 7 a day that's 21 cigs saved in 3 days. That's a whole pack of cigs. In one week I am not smoking 2 packs of cigs. That's $14.00 a week. That's also $56.00 a month! Wow!!! :D What a nice savings.

That has been motivating me along with the very fact that yes, I do feel better. The hacking cough is gone, the constant congestion, I can taste and smell things far better. I do smell less offensive. Yuck do cigarettes smell.

The aches and muchies and restlessness in general have tapered off and I am not so uncomfortable at this point. Busy, busy, busy, busy is the key to my staying sane and nicotine free. So removing 7 a day it is for right now. About 3 weeks to settle into that and get physically comfortable before I lower the dose again. *Yippee*.

It is working. I am doing it little by little. I'm feeling fairly optimistic I can get this achieved.

Jim, Kay and Bets hope you guys are all well in body, mind, spirit and yard. :D

O.K.
Have a good day all.
Peace. Out. TTC

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Man, Agave, I am so happy about you cutting back your nicotine intake!!!! I was always vehemently opposed to smoking, smokers and cigarettes. Then I realized that by having friends online, I didn't need to even think about the fact that they were smoking. So I pretty much put it out of my mind. If you had ever told me (not mentioned it in passing, but rubbed it in my face) how much you were smoking, it would have grossed me out. So I try not to think about it. But it has always seemed to me an insane habit, as it is 1)unhealthy 2)unappealing and 3)expensive.

Too funny, my flowers/plants wilting from cold and yours wilting from heat. Today MAY be the day we experiment with taking cuttings of begonias and geraniums. We'll see.

The rest of you, how are things?

Midland City, AL

Well I still could not stop worrying at loading the game and (I guess that really does make me a addict). The result was I was without a computer for 2 days. Still reloading things on Kay's side.
Bets: Regarding those after Halloween candy sales, let's do an experiment to test Granny's sweet tooth Buy a couple of those delicious, but disgusting looking, Cadbury scream eggs. See if she is tempted by them. :-)
Agave: Amen on the voting and getting past this election! I Just hope the loser does not create too much ruckus. Kay did absentee voting for the first time this year and has already sent her ballot in.
Saving money and getting free of cigarettes is wealth in 2 ways it was the expense that helped me get over the hump.

the peanut farmers like the dry weather for getting in their crops once the harvest is done we will all be praying for rain. unlike California we can rest assured it is a short term drought.
Got to love those marigolds they are still flowering and the pineapple sage started blooming a few days ago.

Got some pictures but I have to update windows 7 for my photo program to work lol always something till later Bless the plants
Jim

Casa Grande, AZ

Hey gang, :D

Glad to hear that all is well with everyone and that the planting is going good and you are all keeping nice and busy. Me, I have finally (Yes 'finally' as they have sat there a year) done something with the last 18 bricks I have left and started on the final raised bed in the back yard to go along with the 2 that are already there. The weather had been so hot hat it had been impossible to work on it in earnest. I also had the weed mesh to deal with. And yes, I've just been lazy

I'm going to send this as the computer is being stupid and will get with you in a few minutes.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

WE VOTED!!! What a relief. Now I don't have to click on everything I see about the election. And it's weird, because we're not undecided at all. We knew who we were voting for all along. The local Massachusetts referendums took a little thinking, but it's done.

Now we are trying to decide how much trouble (of saving cuttings or roots or whatever) vs. convenience (buying new ones next spring). It seems like a lot of trouble right now but I know next spring I will be mad if I don't do it. Grrrr. Yay Kay for voting. This is the first time it has been available in MA. It was really crowded.

Casa Grande, AZ

O.K., Hi guys.
Sorry it took me a bit to get back to you but the computer was acting stupid. *roll eyes*. Forgot where we all left off but I am glad everyone seems to be doing well, is getting some gardening done and the weather isn't plaguing anyone as of yet. FINALLY...and I do mean finally, the heat has broken. Beautiful day in the low 80s. All week predicted the same. Nice cool evenings that are pleasant. Half the time now we have the air off and the doors open and just the ceiling fans running. :D :D
Air rarely kicks on.

Also I got that last raised bed done. Surprisingly it didn't take all that long. As I said, there weren't a whole lot of brick left and I already knew what I wanted to do with it. It was already 'laid out' and structured so all I had to do was just mortar them together, pop in the plant and then fill it with the dirt and rock.

Hope everyone had a nice Halloween. Nothing shaking here. We didn't do 'Trick or Treat' for the kids. Last year we only had about 10 and had a ton of left over candy. This year I just solved the problem by taking some candy over to the next door neighbors as they have 3 kids and the ones across the street as they have 3 also.

How was everyone's Halloween? And OMG, do you believe it is November 1st already? Thanksgiving is creeping up on us and then X-Mas. *Sigh*. Then another new year. WOW. Is it just me or is it going by all too fast? It seems to go by faster and faster and faster every year. More so when I think of birthdays, anniversaries, how long it has been since I moved to AZ in June of 2007! We had adopted Zoe just before her 5th B-day. She will now be 12 years old!

I am doing good with the smoking reduction. I am staying between 12-13 a day. I shall keep this up for another 2 or 3 weeks and then try to cut my smoking to 11 a day. YIPPEE. I can't believe how much money I am saving and honestly, how much better I am feeling. Not going to lie. It is hard----very hard, but I am doing it. I feel like I am indeed accomplishing something since I was smoking 1 pack to just slightly over 1 pack a day.

Jim........ good for you for quitting. You should feel very proud of yourself as it isn't easy! I admire you for it. Haven't heard about your girls or the grandkids lately. How are they? What's the news on the snoring?

Bets.....hoping that knee is doing well and you figured out the vacuuming problem. *LOL* (the vacuuming---not the knee!). How goes the knee, BTW? Healing and doing better? Able to get around a little better?
Let's see, Granny had her birthday and now Halloween. I can't imagine the sugar high she's been on! Driving you crazy? *tee-hee* Hey, it keeps her going and you know you'd be lost if she didn't aggravate you.

Carrie........ Good for you for getting your vote in. Dave and I have been done for quite awhile. Permanent Early Voters' List solves that problem. We just fill out the ballot and go to the post office and drop it off. The post office is literally 5 minutes away and I feel more comfortable dropping my ballot there rather then wondering if the mail person isn't going to 'do something' with it. It is pretty obvious how I lean since the put all the mail in my box from certain candidates and organizations. Dropping it directly at the post office removes any suspicion or doubt about it being sent in.

I wasn't undecided either since Bernie Sanders was out of the race. I didn't see it a matter of 'liking' one or the other so much as a case of 'competent' versus 'crazy'. To quote Oprah, "You don't have to like them. They aint (sic) coming to your house to see you or for dinner. You just have to pick who is capable of doing the job."

We too had a bunch of initiatives, propositions and other state/local stuff on our ballot as well. Had to do some research to find out the 'who, what, where, when and why' of them all but research paid off.

Personally I can't wait for the next 7 days to be over. I am soooooooooo sick of it and the drama and crassness and nastiness and craziness. I have seen some contentious political races on all levels but I have never seen anything the likes of this. Goes from the ridiculous to the sublime. I think everyone can agree, this election put the, "Ugh" in ugly!

Anyway gotta go. Hope everyone is well and happy.
Peace. Out.
Jacqueline.

Song for the day: John Lennon's "Imagine".

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

This is the first year they have had early voting in Massachusetts.

I had some interesting news the other day. I was inquiring about LASIK eye surgery because glasses give me a headache and I always poke myself in the eye putting my contacts in. I worried and thought and considered and finally decided to take the plunge and ask my eye doctor about it. Two years ago she said my eyes were too dry. Then she eft the practice and I have a different doctor in the same practice, He said sure, I had laser eye surgery myself, and referred me to a place they do it at.

I went there for s screening/consult (free); I still wasn't commited to the idea of spending thousands of dollars per eye There, I found out I have small, early cataracts, which makes me a non-candidate for LASIK, but I can have early vision-correcting cataract surgery. I am so excited! Best of all, it means Medicare/Medicaid will cover it! I really don't mind the look of glasses on my face, I mind the feeling of glasses on my face and I really mind the HEADACHES I get from glasses or from not wearing them. The cataracts I have are (he said) 2 on a scale of 1 to 10.

Ray had terrible, terrible cataracts 5 or so years ago and cataract surgery (for him) really gave him better vision than he has ever had. He had vision which was worse than the best glasses can correct. I don't know specifically what was wrong, but he wasn't eligible for pilot school and he often didn't wear glasses because they didn't help all that much. Now with glasses he can see better than I can with glasses. So I am extremely optimistic! Yay!! And, I am really not vain enough to have LASIK just for looks. This means I don't have to think of myself as vain.

This message was edited Nov 2, 2016 10:04 AM

Casa Grande, AZ

Good Morning,

Glad they had the early voting. Why hadn't they had that before? It really does make things easier and doesn't congest all the polling places, people don't have to worry about their work or personal schedules and the weather or transportation issues (You and I are perfect examples of that.) As I said, I just can't wait for this to be over. I'm so sick of hearing about it, the ads, and just 'it' in general. Only 5 more days and then the suspense and nastiness will end on the 8th one way or the other.
Thank Goodness!!!

I am sorry to hear that you have cataracts BUT it is excellent news that they found the cataracts so early and they are correctable. Even better your insurance will cover it. That is such a relief and a load off in that regards. The eye problem and the insurance/money problem solved at once. Phew! I am very happy for you and that is indeed exciting news. :D

Fantastic Ray's cataracts were corrected also and his vision is now better than ever. With regards to pilots you have to have perfect 20/20 vision. For some reason obtaining 20/20 vision with either glasses or contact lenses is not acceptable for either Air Force or commercial pilots. Dave had wanted to be a pilot but knew he could not for this reason as he wore glasses since high school and still does.

In regards to glasses I think you need to research a bit and shop around. I know they have feather light frames and wireless or semi wireless frames that are very comfortable and don't feel like a brick on your nose. They also make regular lenses and bifocals in lot lighter materials now and not quite as thick.

You really shouldn't be giving yourself headaches! That isn't good for you, and it isn't good for your eyes. The more strain you put on them because you don't have on your glasses the worse your vision will become. Better a sore nose then ever worsening vision and constant headaches!

I too wear contacts. I have an astigmatism. Basically it is a literal shape in the change on the surface of your eyeball. I notice when I have problems with my contacts going in smoothly it is because my vision changed and/or my astigmatism changed. I was always nearsighted. Then when I first needed bifocals I was farsighted. Now I'm nearsighted again. Doctor said this is common when we hit middle age. Since my eyes and vision seem to be changing I'm not a candidate for Lasik or at best it would only benefit me for 2 years. I've refrained for that reason.

I'm thinking your cataracts may be the reason why you are having problems with your contacts. The cataracts are simply getting in the way so to speak. Again, I am so happy you can get that Lasik surgery done. What a relief. Keep us posted and let us know how things are going and what you are finding out about it more and more.

I hope everyone else is doing well. I've been o.k. and Dave is good. Hugs to all.

Peace. Out.
TTC

Song for the day: Johnny Nash, "I Can See Clearly Now".

This message was edited Nov 2, 2016 8:57 AM

Halloween came and went without notice here: I HAD wondered why all that chocolate candy was on sale. . especially since it was still before Halloween. . . . doh:Hlloween was already over! So I bought a grpcery sack full and gave it to Granny today. . . I wonder how long it'll take her to devour it??? lol

Granny had Lasik surgery when she was in her late 82's; she had won glasses since before 1st grade. For a handful o years, she didn't have to wear glasses but sinc3e a bit before she was 90. she had to start wearing them again. Lotta money for a smattering number of years.

I had to start wearing reading glasses YEARS ago; the eye doc said I ruined my eyesight reading all thiose thick textbooks with the small print!~! In the lab, I had to wear bifocals: the lower half were for reading and the top half was clear. . . so I could walk around, etc!

Todaynwas my first day back kinda into my thric3e weekly luncheons with Granny: I met her at her favorite ice cream place (they also have Brunswick stew that she likes and can eat) and made it ok. I had my great-aunt's rollator (with it's own seat and brakes!!): good thing, too,the restaurant's chairs were too low to attempt and the protective tank of an older rollator came in VERY handy!!

I' getting around better. Today, my rehab thera[pist had me walk HALF THE WAY AROUND THE BUILD(ING ON THE "LAWN" THE WHOLE WAY!!!!! I did it, but white-knuckled the whole time off-pavement!!

In an hour or so, I will ordeer some seed for winter-sowing: Avens,Geum "Blazing Sunset". a perennial evergreen that blooms from late spring to early fall: vibrant red, showy 2-3" flowers. For one of my flower beds right outside my front door., to replace all those daffodils in my pic (between a wet summer/winter? rotting alot of bulbs and those destroyed by the narcissus bulb fly. . .only about 20 of the ~50 bulbs survived this yewar) I'll let y'all know how they do and hopefully have something to take pictures of.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

OMG yay that is FABULOUS progress. Good work!! I sure remember walking with a walker and a physical therapist.

We have geum but they only bloom in May and June. I wish they would bloom until early fall! I wonder if I am doing something wrong? Or maybe it's the cultivar.

Jacqueline, it is my brain that gives me headaches. The optometrist (when I was 14 or 15) said my eyes don't know when to stop focussing even though I can't actually see things. I have heavy glasses and light glasses, I have different strengths and I've tried bi-focals and no-line bifocals. They all make me dizzy. Once I almost drove (in the wheelchair) off a curb because I couldn't tell the change in depth. They keep say "these new, improved glasses won't give you a headache" but they always do after a few hours. The best vision I get is with contact lenses and reading glasses. One of the people at this laser screening place said "how do you know the know the headaches are from your eyes and not something else?" (I dunno, brain tumor, flesh-eating bacteria, who knows..) And I said "because when I wear one contact, I get a headache on one side (the opposite side, because of course the optic nerve crosses over) and when I wear both contacts, no headache (as long as I didn't poke myself in the eye too badly).

Casa Grande, AZ

Hey gang, :D

Good to hear everyone is doing so well. Bets.......right on! *thumbs up*. Way to go with that recovery. I have no doubts you'll be back in full swing sooner then you know it. That's too funny about the candy and Granny. (: Hey, I guess she's been around long enough to deserve the privilege of getting her own way.

Carrie....my misunderstanding. I didn't realize it was a physical/optical problem. I had thought it was more a prescription or adverse reaction to contact lenses and astigmatism and/or cataracts. Yes, I can understand now why you have the problems. *Groan* What a nuisance and how terrible to put up with.

Are there any eye exercises---so to speak, that you can do to help 'retrain' the eyes or improve this? I know they have such exercises for persons who have a 'lazy' eye or are cross-eyed (sorry, don't know the medical term).

The concept is that by covering one eye and making the other work or forcing both eyes to work/exercise and focus in such a way through performing 'visual exercise routines' some of these problems can be overcome naturally without medication. The idea is to 'retrains' the way the eyes focus and how the optic nerve responds. Kind of how Epileptics have to 'retrain their brain' by doing tasks and problems that focus on the area where seizures originate so that the area stays sharp and active and on par with the rest of the brain as much as possible.

I know cataracts can't be fixed unless you have surgery. I was thinking that the fact you can't get your eyes to stop focusing certain ways could potentially be overcome with this kind of 'exercise' therapy. *shrug*. Worth looking into. You never know.

Not much shaking here. Zoe and I have just been hanging out enjoying the rain, the thunder and the rare gray cold-ish day of 74 degrees. (About 9 degrees below our 'norm' this time of year.)

Kind of an odd thing to say since everyone else is living with the gloom, and real cold on a regular basis. I guess when it is 95 degrees or hotter every day for 8 months out of the year and the sun has the intensity of a laser beam this rare kind of day is refreshing. I put the slippers on! *YIPPEE* .

It isn't supposed to last more than today but that's all right. I'll enjoy it while it is here. The rain put a wrench in my outdoor gardening plans and Zoe's walk but my housework is all done. I guess the gives me a legitimate excuse to just loaf around, play on the computer, read and watch t.v. today.

Have a great day all.
Peace. Out.
TTC

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I know some dogs are afraid of thunder--is she?

Glad you are enjoying your "fall" weather.

Ray took some pictures of the house across the street and a picturesque autumn sunset. I'm glad you asked me for foliage pictures; I think we are enjoying the leaves more than we sometimes have.

Thumbnail by carrielamont
Casa Grande, AZ

So that's what Fall looks like! I remember that. :D Pretty. I guess when you have to focus on something and take a picture of it, it does give you an opportunity to look much closer at something you would not have previously. It re stimulates the visual appreciation.

And yes. Ahhhhhh. Fall is here in AZ . All week 82-87. Nice and cool with pleasantly sunny days and somewhat chilly nights in the mid 60s. I know it sounds surreal saying that but when you think May-October it ranges between 100-122(our record this year) and it is still 95 at night, these temps are such a welcome relief to man, beast and cacti!

Zoe and I have been extending our walks and enjoying much more of it. She's not panting and hyperventilating and I can actually wear jeans without dropping from heat exhaustion. It is good weather for them.

Today I'll be out doing my little good civic minded citizen duty and annoying people by banging on their doors pestering them about getting out and voting. At least I won't keel over out there. Kind of S*** or get off the pot thing now for all concerned. Should be interesting (* huuuuuge eye roll*).

Tomorrow I plan on going outside and just puttering around in the yard with the potted plants and checking on a few things in the yard. The agaves look so happy now and are not shriveled like prunes. Things are green or at least 'green-ish' instead of toasted. The Aloe Veras are growing their stalks and getting ready to bloom. I'll have to post pics. Hopefully I can get some of a humming bird as they love these flowers. :D

As for Zoe, she kind of got over the thunder thing awhile ago. Pretty much ignores it and sleeps. Once in awhile if it is a forceful, loud boom her head will snap up and she'll look around a bit. Aside from that she doesn't get bothered. As long as we're around she's fine. She won't go out in it though. Can't say as I blame her.

She's good in the rain too. Ding-dong will stand out in it and just sniff the air. If it pours she won't go out but just regular rain, she actually likes it. Can't blame her as Dave and I are outside right next to her doing the same thing. LOL Rain is an event here.

Gotta go but I hope you are enjoying your weather.
Peace. Out.
TTC

Midland City, AL

We are still with you guys, but I am still struggling in getting windows 10 and windows 7 switch between to load on this computer, win 10 disk will be here tomorrow that will help allot.
I can post picks now. Yay!
#1: Pineapple sage.
#2-3: Marigolds still kickin`
#4 Time to cut the bamboo grove.
#5 Our new olive tree.

Thumbnail by seacanepain Thumbnail by seacanepain Thumbnail by seacanepain Thumbnail by seacanepain Thumbnail by seacanepain
Casa Grande, AZ

An open letter to all,

I am deeply shocked and saddened by the confirmation of last night's news. Donald Trump is America's 45th president. I would not be shocked if the man were a Democrat, Independent or a Republican. A representative from a political party with a legitimate candidate capable of doing the job. A candidate that is a knowledgeable, well rounded possessing both the personal temperament and professional qualifications that allow them to govern a nation.

Donald Trump is none of the above. Last night's presidential election winner possesses no qualifications or capabilities. He is a mountebank.

Donald Trump can not run his own business in an effective and efficient manner that is ethical and fair. He can not manage his own finances in a way that is beneficial to anyone other then his self. He questions others behavior and motives, but his own is dubious at best. His unwillingness to pay taxes, his inability to abide by financial laws, and circumspection of the truth smacks of corruption and makes him suspect.

Donald Trump, is a man of German and Scottish immigrant grandparents who came here seeking opportunity and a better way of life. He instead advocates deporting millions of people from America who came here seeking the exact same thing. He wants to build a wall to keep others out.

Donald Trump did not pay much attention in history class. If he had then he would have realized there would be no 'America' if there were no welcoming Native American Indians who opened their arms to the illegal immigrants that arrived on their shores. He would have remembered the Berlin Wall came down. He would also ponder how North Korea's implementation of a geographical barrier has left its people isolated, impoverished, and 3rd world while its 'Supreme Leader' is viewed as mentally imbalanced and politically inept.

In August Donald Trump's campaign manager became Stephen Bannon who is also the chairman of Breitbart Media. Breitbart Media is part of the 'alt-right' and white nationalist groups such as the KKK, the Aryan Brotherhood, and the American Nazi Party. Gone are the Swastikas and skin heads. These people are college educated, well employed and are wearing suits. Brannon appeared at the Republican National Convention (RNC) in July as had David Duke, the ex Grand Imperial Wizard of the KKK who ran for political office in Louisiana. Mr. Duke campaigns in a suit not a sheet.

The front page of "The Crusader, The Premiere Voice of the White Resistance", the official newspaper of the KKK dedicated their entire front page to endorsing Donald Trump on November 2, 2016. Under Mr. Trump's smiling face and his slogan, "Make America Great Again" the lengthy article states, "America was founded as a White Christian Republic. And as a White Christian Republic it became great."

There was also an invitation issued from "The Few, The Proud, The Fed UP'. You could call or join today online at www.kkk.bz. You are also welcome to listen 24 hours a day to KKKRadio.com and watch WhitePrideTV.Com And of course, you could vote for Donald Trump if you hadn't already.

David Duke states, "Overall, we do like his [Donald Trump's] nationalist views and his words about shutting down the border to illegal aliens. He kind of reflects what's happening throughout the world. There seems to be a surge of nationalism worldwide as nationals to reclaim their borders. Using Trump as a conversation piece has been one of the things that our organization really stresses with our membership. We want them to educate themselves on issues and we want them to be able to learn how to open up conversations with other people. Trump has electrified our movement and brought momentum to our rallies and campaign."

Since Donald Trump has run for President 'The Crusader's circulation has grown exponentially as did the KKK's membership. I can only imagine the subscription money pouring in now that Mr. Trump has become President Trump. David Duke sent a Tweet this morning. "God Bless You. Thank You. Let's Make America Great Again."

Donald Trump has of yet to denounce Mr. Duke or say he did not appreciate his 'Thank You'. Why should he? Donald Trump never denounced Mr. Duke, the KKK, or any other white supremacist organization that endorsed him for President. It is rude to insult your friends and supporters that help got you elected.

I used to be proud of my heritage and nationality as all persons should be. I was as proud to be White as others are to be Black, Latino or Asian. Now I just equate being White with being embarrassed. I feel I have to apologize for it.

To my African American best friend of 28 years I apologize. You know me better. To my African American Goddaughter, I am sorry. No, honestly I don't hate you. I am still proud to call you 'daughter'.

To my Jewish ex fiancée, I do not regret ending our relationship. I ended our relationship because I found your personality to be disagreeable and incompatible with mine. I do regret if you think our relationship's demise was based on the notion I harbor anti-Semitic views or I subscribe to Neo Nazi white supremist beliefs. To my many Mexican friends----you know me! You know deep in your heart that I am not this 'White Christian Conservative America'.

Donald Trump has had 5 deferments exempting him from being drafted and serving our country but does not hesitate to rattle sabers. He thinks little of those of whom he would send off to die. I am so thankful I am no longer in the military. I pity the families who have loved ones serving. May God have mercy on your dispensable souls.

Donald Trump got a small loan of $1,000,000.00 from his father to start up his business. When I was well and able to work full time I lived on $3,270.00 a month. I also ran my own business. I did not get a small loan of $1,000,000.00 from my parents. I didn't get a loan. I took the money out of my savings account.

I also have Epilepsy which I did not ask for. It has now rendered me permanently disabled and unable to function as an employee in any useful capacity. I now live on $1,045.80 a month. Donald Trump and the Republican Party feels I make too much money.

Donald Trump also feels my---and anyone's disability is funny and open to public ridicule. I fail to see the humor in those jokes. They are too close to home and too near the bone for my taste.

Hilary Clinton is one of the 20 most admired women in America. Questions about policies and politics aside, Mrs. Clinton has never been heard to utter an unkind word in public. Her e.-mails contained no crude or crass remarks. It does not matter what you think. You can not dispute the fact that Mrs. Clinton has set a sterling example not only for her daughter but for all, in terms of propriety, respect and dignified behavior.

Donald Trump is a man with a daughter. He has loudly and proudly on both audio and video said it is o.k. to "grab women by the p***y." Despite this rhetoric Donald Trump has had the overwhelming support of the so called, "Christian Conservatives."

When it came time to put spiritual practice over politics the Christian Conservatives never stopped to question, 'What would Jesus do or say in this situation?". If failing to employ moral stop gaps unless convenient is what being Christian Conservative is all about, then I am proud to say I am Buddhist and liberal.

I am also glad I am not a parent. I do not have to spend time with children trying to justify the need to respect the President of the United States while simultaneously explaining they should not emulate his behavior and that it honestly is not o.k. to 'grab women by the p***y". I think they put you in jail for that? Or at least they did. I don't know. I'm confused.

I could continue listing all the terrible and troubling things I see wrong with a Donald Trump presidency. They will not change the fact that Donald Trump is the President. I signed petitions, I canvased my neighborhood knocking on doors and I voted. Donald Trump becoming President was beyond my control and in spite of my best efforts.

What is not beyond my control is how I act and react. I've decided I will make America Great Again. This is how I intend to do it:

---I will no longer speak to or associate with anyone who has voted for Donald Trump.

---If you voted for Donald Trump I ask you do not speak or associate with me or acknowledge my existence. I am not of your world nor do I care to be.

---I will no longer say I am an 'American'. I will describe myself as a person who lives in America not by choice but as an unfortunate victim of circumstance and
due to the fact their limited financial means does not allow them to leave and go live elsewhere.

---I will no longer say I am a veteran or admit to anyone I served in the military. I am no longer proud of this country or the fact I defended it.

---I will no longer say the Pledge of Allegiance.

---I will no longer stand for the National Anthem

---I have removed the flag from my front yard and I WILL be burning it this evening. Proudly, I might add.

Jacqueline

Thank You,
Jacqueline

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

There is a daylily 'Trump Tower' and a tulip 'Hillary Clinton.' No pictures in Plantfiles.

This message was edited Nov 9, 2016 6:52 PM

Jacqueline.....now that your rant is over (I hope)...get over it: the election is over and Trump won.

If you no longer want to be an American, move. I will personally arrange for you to pick up a one-way ticket at an airport gate.

This is NOT a site for your political soapbox. . after the fact.

Get over yourself.

Casa Grande, AZ

Bets,
Thank You! May God bless you and bring you good Karma for the magnitude of your gift.
Please leave the ticket at Tucson International Airport.
Dates from now until the new year (I plan on leaving before Jan 1st)
November 17. I will be in Tucson to see the Neurologist and renew my Rx for a year
November 24, 25, 26 or 27
December 4
December 5
December 12
December 13
December 20
December 21
December 28, 29, 30.

Place: Cabo San Lucas as I have a friend that reside and works there and is presently helping me procure employment (no joke).

I will e.-mail you a burner phone (15 min time) phone number. You may tell me the air line, time and other specifics.

gift??? rofl YOU posted a long-winded rant about not wanting to be an American anymore, so put up or shut up.

For the past year(s), you've posted about how wonderful your hubby and life was; now, like a petulant child, you declare you would give that all up. Were you lying then or are you lying now??

True to my posted missive, I have arranged for you to pick up a one-way ticket OUT of these United States. You posted your tirade publicly, so publicly is where this will play out.

American Airlines flight #5681 departs Tucson International Airport at 9:15 pm Sat Nov 26, arrives/departs in Phoenix at 10:03/11.05 pm (American Airlines flight #534) and arrives at San Jose Cabo Airport (largest airport serving Cabo San Lucas) at 1:13 pm. Coach for $223.56.

I am not gullible, so upon proof that you've either renounced your American citizenship (along with the benefits of its social programs) OR documented proof that you have indeed emigrated and not just taken a brief vacation at my expense: I will re-imburse the cost of this airfare ticket.

It will be interesting to see what you will do.

Casa Grande, AZ

Quote from BetNC :
Jacqueline.....now that your rant is over (I hope)...get over it: the election is over and Trump won.

If you no longer want to be an American, move. I will personally arrange for you to pick up a one-way ticket at an airport gate.

Get over yourself.

Ahhhh...how we change our tune.
Noticed no stipulations were put upon the ticket before or my paying for it.
The only stipulation was if you no longer want to be an American Citizen then move.

I have every intentions of doing so. Plan on getting job there via friend BUT must get green card and work permit first. That requires a visit not a vacation. That is a trip to the Mexican embassy and paperwork NOT a vacation obviously in 2 or 3 days.

So yes....I will leave happily. And yes.......discussed this with my husband. Ready for a shock? He is not in disagreement. Believe it or not he is in support of it.

The plan is for me to get a job and for him to obtain dual citizenship. He can work here and every month come down for his 3 day weekend to begin to establish residency.

As for benefits I won't need them. Mexico has socialized medicine. Any American doctor that works there also charges 2/3rds less then here. Those who don't and are Mexican citizens and Mexican doctors charge according to your income.

As for the house who cares. We don't own it. Happy to sell it. Dave has a friend he can live with for less than half our mortgage payment and his friend is happy to have the dog. Also----ready for another shock------ his friend will happily join us once we are established in Mexico.

No.......it was not a 'political rant'. It was an open letter that clearly stated in the first paragraph that it had nothing to do with political affiliation or agenda. It was a heartfelt personal expression in regards to whom I decided to maintain contacts with and whom I did not.

Republican or Democrat, Hilary, Bernie or Donald I would have still said the same things. Unfortunately it just so happened to be Mr. Trump and his political party that formulated my opinion.

Again, I reiterate, had it been the Democrats and either Bernie or Hillary I would be writing the exact same letter. I would still feel the same way. I would not have voted for them.

My decision was based solely on the content of the man's character, public behavior on national television, his crass and vulgar speech, and lack of professionalism when he approached the job of being a candidate for President. Regardless of political ideology I never imagined such pornographic language and dirty words being said by any man in front of his wife, daughter, son or to the rest of the world on national television.

Free speech. Free choice. You exercised yours as is your Constitutional right. I don't have to like it. I just have to accept it.
I believe I exercised mine when I wrote the letter and burned my flag. Same rules apply.

If you don't want me in this country then pay for the privilege of using your tax dollars and hard earned money to remove me and throw me over the wall. $200 - $300 is a small price to pay to be rid of persons who shouldn't be here. Consider it a 'Thank You' for my 3 years of military service on your behalf. (I get no VA benefits btw).

I DO NOT care about party or politics. I just have no room or use for people who degrade women, use pornographic language or whose beliefs the KKK identifies with and says so in print.

Again it is regrettable Mr. Trump has inadvertently become associated with this organization BUT Mr. Trump decided to run for president and chose his own words and message. Mr. Trump had opportunities to address this organization and reject their support and to say so nationally and in print. He had an opportunity to separate himself from this organization and deliberately make a point of doing so. Fact: Mr. Trump did not. Reason: ?

There are some basic and indisputable history and facts to consider:
History: We all know what the KKK is and what it stands for. We all know the KKK is not a moral organization. We all know what type of people are in the KKK. This information is in any history book.

Facts about Jacqueline:
I do not like the KKK, their members or believe in their ideology or way of life.
I disassociate myself from those who do.
I do not vote for any person REGARDLESS of party who receives their endorsement.
I do not have room in my life for any person who votes for the same person as the KKK.

Don't take it personal. It is just history and facts. Hopefully the reasons and association between the two are obvious and understandable.

As I said, if you voted for Mr. Trump that is your right and privilege. That's cool. Right on!
It is my right and privilege to ask POLITELY that you please do not address me personally here on this forum or engage me further on the subject.
I am asking nicely.

You may use the burner cell phone number if you would like to discuss these matters as I'm sure others would much rather talk about their gardening and families, their health and other more pleasant mutual activities.

Regards,
J.

And I will pick up the ticket when I am in Tucson next week if you still want to pay for it. Otherwise, please don't make offers you have no intentions of making good on and again nicely, please refrain from challenging me, questioning the legitimacy of my plans or my reasons and intent. I am nicely asking....please don't speak to me unless it is on the burner phone.

As for the others,

I have been putzing around in the back yard. My goal has been to try to whip it into shape. That yard has been my problem child. *sigh* Lake of fire in the summer with a relentless pounding of 110+ heat and absolutely no shade and in the winter half of the yard is in all day shade.

I didn't think of that as I had nothing in those beds prior. Duh! Shorter days, lower sun in the sky and less hours of daylight and more shadow. Duh! The back yard is dedicated 100% to lake of fire plants as that is all that can be grown out there 80% of the year.

So I shifted some things around. Let's see I moved the big Agave, (A. sisalana) all the way to the right bed where it will get full day sun all year round. It can take it. I know barrels will do well back there. I picked up two lovely Agave 'Blue Glow'. These thrilled me as they are such a beautiful plant and just loooooove the sun.

Here's some pics. I'll post some more later on as I got cinder blocks and am presently trying an experiment with putting them in the raised bed to elevate pots. That way they can be higher up to catch a full day's rays of winter sun.

Peace. Out.
TTC

---Cute little Blue barrel cacti I picked up for .50 cents and two Ferocacti (Devil's Tongue---ones with the pink spines) I got for .50 cents also. Made a cute little cactus bowl for them with an old pot and some aquarium stone.
----The Aloe Vera are also in bloom. :D Humming birds are visiting. More of the Aloes are soon to be in bloom too!
----Agave 'Blue Glow'. Great lake of fire plant. Very excited as both have pups. Gotta find the perfect space for them in the yard. Decisions, Decisions!

So what is everyone else growing/doing?

Thumbnail by Agavegirl1 Thumbnail by Agavegirl1 Thumbnail by Agavegirl1 Thumbnail by Agavegirl1 Thumbnail by Agavegirl1

Quote from Agavegirl1 :
Quote from BetNC :

Get over yourself.

Ahhhh...how we change our tune.
Noticed no stipulations were put upon the ticket before or my paying for it.
The only stipulation was if you no longer want to be an American Citizen then move.
. . . . .
Free speech. Free choice. You exercised yours as is your Constitutional right. I don't have to like it. I just have to accept it.
I believe I exercised mine when I wrote the letter and burned my flag. Same rules apply.
. . . .
If you don't want me in this country then pay for the privilege of using your tax dollars and hard earned money to remove me and throw me over the wall. $200 - $300 is a small price to pay to be rid of persons who shouldn't be here. Consider it a 'Thank You' for my 3 years of military service on your behalf. (I get no VA benefits btw).
. . . . .
And I will pick up the ticket when I am in Tucson next week if you still want to pay for it. Otherwise, please don't make offers you have no intentions of making good on and again nicely, please refrain from challenging me, questioning the legitimacy of my plans or my reasons and intent. I am nicely asking....please don't speak to me unless it is on the burner phone.

ROFL Your own quote reveals the sheer magnitude of the twisted, distorted, contradictory form of "logical speech" you employ to supposedly refute my position!

Since it was YOUR idea to move then you should do as you want; I said and DID arrange to have an airline ticket waiting at the gate for you. . . (note the lack of WHO would be paying for it) But since it's YOUR desire to move, pay for the ticket! Put your money where your mouth is: don't be a free-loader, expecting others to pay for your decisions.

How delicious you tout free speech (a strictly American right)....then turn around and presume to dictate to me what, when, why, how and who I can communicate with!!!

In closing, I refer AGAIN to my quoted, SHORT posting: "This is NOT a site for your political soapbox". . . this IS a gardening site!!!!

Casa Grande, AZ

Last time before I report you.
I asked twice------that is 2 times---- that you not speak to me on the forum.
I asked you to contact me on the telephone.

Do I need to report you or can you abide by the above mentioned rules?
You are a highly educated person. I like to think you are a respectful one too.

---Last and 3rd time. DO NOT speak to me on this forum. Speak to the others. There are plenty of people we both interact with and converse with where we do not have to overlap our conversations and/or address each other.
---Second time: If you have something to say CALL ME. I provided you a phone number.
----Do not call me names, make derogatory remarks or personal slurs such as 'Freeloader'. I did not call you names. If you do not leave me alone I will report you.

rofl. . . report away!!!

I am PROUD to be an American. I have the right to free speech as guaranteed by the Constitution: I CHOOSE what, when, why, where, how and with whom to speak.

YOU, as an American, also have the right to free speech. You have the right NOT to address me, but NOT to presume to dictate to me what, when, why, where, how and/or whom I can communicate with!!!

Please exercise another of your American rights: the right to remain silent!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.