Accessible Gardening: ...so what are you up to?, 3 by seacanepain

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright seacanepain

In reply to: ...so what are you up to?

Forum: Accessible Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of ...so what are you up to?
seacanepain wrote:
Hey Gang! Haven\'t felt capable of writing well enough lately. Sleep problems. I spent a night in the hospital for test. The doc is still looking over the data she collected, but she says I need a CPAP machine. LOL. I haven\'t got Kay\'s machine paid for yet. Kay says I\' a copy cat. I tell her she must be contagious. :-(
It could be sleep apnea is just the Disease of the Year for 2016. The VA is in charge of my case. You can bet some less expensive options will be tried before they foot the bill for a CPAP. I am open to experimenting with other options, I suspect I will have a harder time adjusting to wearing a breathing mask while I sleep than Kay did, if the VA decides a CPAP is what is needed. Kay claims the only reason she can share a bedroom with me without complaining is she doesn\'t wear her hearing aids at night. Anything that helps me sleep right again and stops my snoring would make her doubly grateful.
Anyway, it\'s great to see you back, Bets. Glad to hear recovery was easier than expected. Do you have to do any home therapy?
I can\'t say much about Granny\'s ice cream habit. No one around here can be fully trusted when there is a tub of ice cream in the house. We\'ve started buying individual servings or making a run to Dairy Queen to control our consumption. I\'m still impressed a little old lady can plow through that many sweets. It doesn\'t sound like diabetes is something you\'ll ever have to worry about. Good genes on that front. :-)
Hm-m-m, cacti have more predators than I imagined. I did once see a turtle eating the fruit off a prickily pear. They have longer necks than you would imagine or the ability to really stretch their necks out.
We\'re in the hot days, cool nights phase. It still gets up into the 90\'s during the day, but there is occasionally a bite in the air first thing in the morning. It has been so dry there is a burn ban in effect now, but before that sitting around the fire at night was a pleasure. We usually spend Halloween around the campfire, but if we don\'t get rain soon, we will have to make other plans this year.
Stalwart flowers like marigolds, goldenrod, Helen\'s flower, Texas blue mist, and Indian blankets are blooming. Not terribly exciting, but reliable. The senna Kay grew from seed she pick up at a DG plant swap have flowered for the first time. We didn\'t plant any crysanthemums this year. I think I would rather add an aster, instead of the usual mums. They are more reliable about coming back.
I\'ve been reading on dry gardening to make better use of the eastern boundary. You\'re doing exactly what the Arizona landscaper recommend, TTC. Although, considering most desert plants, the landscaper\'s advice to \"embrace the desert\" sounds painful. ;-) The jujube in my last photos is one you might see in the neighborhood, BTW. The desert is closer to their natural home. Only two species I know of can handle our humidity.

I emailed your Dust Bowl article to someone recently, Carrie. Kay\'s family doesn\'t have much to do with one another 9 months of the year unless there is a family crisis. They start hooking up again as the holidays approach and do some work on their family history website. One of Kay\'s relatives was puzzled why this branch of the family would have left Texas to a poor region like the Ozark Mountains of Arkansas. I imagine during the Dust Bowl years and for a while afterward, Texas and Oklahoma were
The seed pods and fruit is still what is catching my eye. tough places to live. The green mountains must have been like an oasis after living on the plains.
Pic 1&2. Unknown one but I like the look of it taken at Dothan botanical gardens.
Pic 3. Melissa\'s Senna in flower.