Plant Propagation: The Basics July/Aug 2016

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I went and looked today , they look a little bigger on camera than to the eye

First Two are pink Fleabane seedlings ,I think my blue ones failed
Third the Pink aster
4 the Leek
5 the only red castor bean I got to Germinate of 8 seeds I kept from last year

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

The zinnia in Front of Cherry Bush , You can see Tithonia leaves on the right behind them , (later season blooms and color
A brick at the bottom I forgot why that is there , only it seems this litle clump enjoyed the concrete set Barely visible under the center zinnia
A few BES in the weeds

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Nice go on the seedlings Ju, I hope you have more purple Fleabane seeds to try again.

Lol, I have bricks in my garden too. We're a strange lot (us gardeners).

Thumbnail by Mipii
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Robin lots more seeds

LOL That face ,, Mine ,, in the shade this brick is mine , it's cool , has a nice ground breeze in the spaces ,, "MY SPACE " says Kitty ,, lol

LOL Ju! I believe that's what she's saying and I was violating her space with the camera. :)

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Robin , that is a facial expressive feline , Cute ,
I have a smooth blue aster sprout now that I will make a pot for shortly .
None of for Four o clocks so far , but this is only day 2 since I put them on paper ,
They may need more heat ,if you can believe that , whew ,, here come the 90 degree days going for 100
I have been at some things but my hands get tired , cutting and such

Oxdrift, Canada

Lots of WOW FACTOR there Robin.

We are in for a real heat wave here for the next 3 days. Would you believe that with the humidex tomorrow it is supposed to feel like 41 C. Hopefully will force a few more blooms by the weekend. We are hosting the garden tour on Saturday. Wish you could all be here. Here's a few more premonitions of what's blooming in Oxdrift

Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener
Oxdrift, Canada

Whoops, caught by the page change again. Missed several posts. Ju, if I were you I would be very proud to even get one seedling from your own castor bean seeds. I have given up on that. I buy 12 seeds and usually get 11 to 12 seedlings, but for whatever reason I get nothing from seed I collect. My red castor beans (carmencita) are a little behind as apparently tent caterpillars like them. I thought they were supposed to be poisonous. After the next few hot days I may be able to send photos.
Keith

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Keith those Blooms are some stupendous color blending , Amazingly eye catching and Gorgeous !!!
Those Beans are some difficult , Unless we grow them as house plants they are really difficult to get a nice large viable seed pod of seeds . One seed of five pods of three seeds each is all got to grow
Then there is the success with the nice native plants when the exotic attempts do not happen as well as hoped ,
Good hopes with the Tour and show , Looking like that will be wonderful !!!

Oh I forgot ,, Don't forget the shade umbrella that is 105 to 106 degrees to us here ,, Wow , that is hot !!!

This message was edited Jul 19, 2016 10:45 PM

Fort Worth, TX

It sure was hot Kitt! if you are at the beer plant on the south freeway you are around the corner from me, but I am going to bed. changed a pond liner today, in shade, but it was hot. Good night all

Oxdrift, Canada

Thanks Ju, wow I didn't do the conversion on that temperature. That is HOT! Will have to get up with the birds to get anything done. Good day for my medical appointment at 11:00. Too hot to function anyway
Keith

Speaking of wow factor Keith, your container on the end is fabulous. All of your gardens look great, great for the coming garden tour for sure. I wish I was there too, I'd be watering with drool over your work.

Oxdrift, Canada

That is by far the most successful planting I've ever had in that moss planter Robin. That is Butterfly Argyranthemum in the middle surrounded by all three colours of Sunsatia : yellow, red and the new blood orange. All are cutting type plants that I get on my Winnipeg trip. I almost lost it a couple weeks ago. I was weeding the stone entry walkway that it sits on with the flame Weeder the kids got me for Fathers Day. It was a lucky thing I was wearing a glove on my right hand because the moss on the bottom was dry and caught on fire. I was able to smother it with the glove fairly quickly. Wendy was watching out the window and got a good laugh. It's been very wet here so that is the only close call I've had yet. I really love that thing. Many thanks to Pistil. Haven't heard from her for a while

Oxdrift, Canada

PS. Speaking of gifts from the kids, it was my birthday this week and the kids could not have gotten me a shirt that was more ME. Brandy, the youngest had shown it to me on Pinterest a couple months ago laughing about how it suited me. Little did I know she would find a way ordering it. I am going to wear it for the tour on Saturday and I will get Wendy to take a picture to post. I think you will get a good chuckle out of it. I certainly did.

lol. thanks for the stories, I'm glad your reflexes were good with a gloved hand to save the planter. Perhaps you turned the scorched part so we couldn't see it...lol! Looking forward to seeing your shirt!

Oxdrift, Canada

Scorcher here today. Was 34C and 41C with the humidex. We are in a WATCH right now, hopefully won't get ugly
1). Who said Cannas were invasive weeds
2). Rudbeckia Tiger Eye Gold. I started 144 of these from seed so hopefully things will become a little more colourful by Saturday
3). Ju, this one is for you. Castor Bean Carmencita from packaged seed
4). Queen of the Prairie

Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener
Fort Worth, TX

Cannas are invasive weeds in my yard. I let a neighbor give me a couple a LONG time ago. Now if someone gives me one I stick it in the pond, if I truly love it I take it out in winter if not, no more canna come spring (I am evil, I know)

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Keith those castor bean plants look good a few inches taller than mine so far
Most of my time today was trying to save penstemon from root rot , setting up a few pots and next years perennials .
About a dozen pots of penstemon , Have to see if they live ..
My garden all looks a fright , but next year always has possibility ,
Cut back the Fulva , set some penstemon in between them (in my special bottomless pots) , some pink and blue Erigeron behind that , Hoping to put a white coneflower and purple coneflower (Echinacea ) behind that and some blue and pink aster on either side of the Echinacea ,
Only to wait and see if that works , Have some tall grasses behind all

Fort Worth, TX

I just keep throwing water at my stuff and hoping for the best. Off to do bees, garden and dog vetting tomorrow. My winter squash seedlings are going crazy in their little 4 inch pots, deciding whether to put them in the ground or leave them in pots in the front yard where I can keep an eye on them. Tomatoes still alive, buckets still in the garden, haven't gotten the east side flowerbed cleaned up or any irrigation drip lines built. But money was made and sales taxes filed and paid....

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Seems a bit hot for you guys up there, Keith, we get the heat, plus humidity depending what part of the state you are in...the groupings are absolutely awesome together and I like that moss pot- it would probably be ball moss herre in Texas in short order, chuckl.

Fort Worth, TX

So much for plants. I managed to water mine, but today was work the bees day and so I did.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Some more aster sprouts .
invasive feline species , Cultivar Kitten,
rained some here today got 4 this morning

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Heading out of Milwaukee toward the south into Chicago- I see lightning, had a good cooling leading wind. So far tho, it's all hot air.
That kitten cultivar just never quits Ju! I would say they have the tenacity of the most horrible of weeds! Yet look so darn appealing!

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana

Ju How did the invasive feline species propagate? I thought they were sterile species. I am so fond of you, you're such a sweetheart and sooo supportive. Thanks for being YOU!!!

Oxdrift, Canada

Even the horrid Bishops Goutweed is beautiful when mass planted on its own where it can be well confined. The worst gardening mistake I ever made was putting it in a mixed planting around my pond eons ago. I am still digging up chunks.
Japanese Iris in the bog garden.
Front yard waiting for visitors

Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener
Fort Worth, TX

Beautiful japanese iris. Beautiful yard. I avoid the goutweed (or its Texas equivalent) myself

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Keith as always , your gardens make my eyes gorge on ,

Fort Worth, TX

And Ju those kitten propagation machines are really going at it. Do they deliver the kittens to your door when they are done nursing? Good for them that you love kittens

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Gypsi I am only wondering why I still have chipmunks ?

Fort Worth, TX

I think you feed them too well or the chipmunks are too fast. mice are more their prey

Oxdrift, Canada

Thanks guys. Was hoping those irises would hold off a few days. They may be done by Saturday. But I see there are a whack of white buds ready to open.
No more pets here. I did a happy dance the day our last one finally went to cat heaven. We are enjoying not being tied down in the winter. The gardens tie us down in summer, but it's nice to get away in the winter and not have to worry about pets. For now we have the family of robins at the back door. They finally hatched this week. I was worried that she would have been off the nest too much for them to hatch. Don't know why she nested right there if she was so skittish. But they were obviously successful because they are both busy bringing worms to the nest now. Didn't really realize before that the dad was involved in child care as well.

Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

That light is well disguised! Yup, dads have to work at finding earthworm and mealybugs, and other tasty morsels. Love those irises colors

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

Even though we are experiencing hot weather my flowers are making a display. 1)My all season flower bed ,previously daffodils and tulips finished now others are blooming. 2)coneflowers 3)black eyed susan 4)Annual periwinkles

Thumbnail by cytf Thumbnail by cytf Thumbnail by cytf Thumbnail by cytf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

cytf Pretty nice outdoor design , I have the decor bricks a few , the purple coneflower and the BES lol .. (sort of ) Nice and carefree those are ,
I love the simpler sets ,, and a lot of work to start with they are ,, Worth while

Me though , I am a Weed Guy , If it grows together here I will try it , lol

Thank you juhur7, my landscaper guy did the decor bricks for me and I try to keep it up .Every few years I have to thin out the BES because it can take over the garden.It can really behave like a weed lol

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

cytf I was listening to some a year or so ago saying the BES is a really overused plant ,
my view is a long blooming , disease free , smoothly relaxing effect of color form ,
Butterfly host , bee friendly, long lived ,
(We should have more such ""overused"" plants in multitude lol)
I seldom show full sets as My "Weed farm Garden " usually looks the part , But I get blooms and plants lol (smiley)

Thumbnail by juhur7

I can't get over that purple Hydrangea!!!

juhur7 ,have you ever heard that certain fertilizers changes the color of the hydrangeas? I did fertilize it with Plant Tone in early spring , but to me sometimes it has pink blomms too. As I stated in one of my previous post I found it on the property nine years ago, and I think it's a very old plant . I have BES in two spots in my yard and they always bloom nicely.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

cytf I use to watch the elders change a white Hydrangea to blue , using a rusty old railroad spike buried in the roots ,
That would translate today as high mineral content ,
High Acid or other fertilizers change bloom color tone , ,I do not use those usually ,,

Oxdrift, Canada

1). The birthday shirt as promised
3). Rare photo of the king and Queen taken by a guest
4). Do you think there may be a garden tour here today? Balloon flowers courtesy of the 9 year old artiste in the family: Kira
2, 5). Random tour shots by Wendy. Notice the 87 year old couple to the right in #5. They maintain a larger yard than ours, predominantly perennials. They hosted a picnic for the Hort. Society last weekend. Just phenomenol!

Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.