Plant Propagation: The Basics July/Aug 2016

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

These are Zinnias that reseed in the Church Garden that I look after.My White lily bloomed much smaller this year, I do not know why that happened. Cone flower just got itself by the hydrangea.

Thumbnail by cytf Thumbnail by cytf Thumbnail by cytf Thumbnail by cytf
Oxdrift, Canada

Thanks Kitt for the comments and picture loading tip. I'm not real good at reverse phsycology.
Thanks cytf, for reminding me that hydrangeas actually exist in colours other than white. If you are real lucky you may be able to overwinter a white here. I have never managed even that for more than 2 winters. I suppose maybe if I gave them the special attention that I do for my tree peonies and built them styrofoam dog houses they would survive longer.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

I can't promise it works, Keith- mine are random whatever they please loads...
I am in the land of crepe myrtles - there are thick blooms going on down here - and that deep black red one I didn't get a picture of in Jonesboro, Ark was beautiful.

Oxdrift, Canada

Bummer, would have loved to see that picture!
Keith

Hi Keith ,this hydrangea was on the property when we purchased it 9 years ago. Two years ago we had a bad winter and in 2015 I only got 3 blooms .I am so amazed that I got so many blooms this year.

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Cytf is the color of your Hydrangea blooms purple? I've never seen purple before.

Yes Kitt, we'd all like to see Crepe Myrtle blooms, they're exotic to us crazy Northerners.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

1Tomatoes Have been for a week or two
2 Honey I found the Catnip pollen
3 A better photo of phlox in the Fleabane
4 A new England pink aster sprout
5 a garden leek sprout

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Purple meadow Rue
A slightly better Honey bee photo
Hi all

and I was hoping to that purple rue growing with the Phlox and fleabane That would of filled the bloom space nicely between the Five(6) ft Swamp milkweed , ( leaves show with Phlox a fleabane photo ..

This message was edited Jul 17, 2016 5:34 PM

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

Hi juhur7,isn't that first flower Japanese Anemone?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

cytf Thalictrum dasycarpum purple meadow rue ,, Looks like anemone I agree A little unusual isn't it
I loved your church garden photo ,

I forgot , it will bloom here spring and summer frost knocked off the first blooms

This message was edited Jul 17, 2016 8:02 PM

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

The difference here ,,
These are definitely Rue leaves , The higher on the bloom stalk leaves show variation , but the lower leaves match every rue I ever seen of this type
1 upper cane leaves
2 lower leaves
3 Bloom buds

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I'm OCD about plants .. Arrgh ..

Thalictrum
1 Pink Mist
2 Purple Meadow
I had them backwards according to photoshock .

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

This is my pink phlox and my white flower, gift from the birds.

Thumbnail by cytf Thumbnail by cytf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

cytf Pretty Phlox looks double ,, The white flower I have sen before .. Something in the Lobelia family maybe ? as in these names Asthma weed; Bladderpod; Gagroot; Indian tobacco; Lobelia inflata; Pukeweed; Vomitroot (all same plant )
These come in white , blue most of the time cultivated ,

Fort Worth, TX

That's a bunch of names -is it useful for treating asthma?

Those are some mighty fine photos Ju, thanks for the indulgence. Pukeweed and Vomitroot, lol...doesn't sound remotely captivating.

Cytf, is your white flower really fragrant at night? Those are some great gifts!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Robin a lot better as Nicotania lobelia inflata ,,, it sure is ,,,
Gypsi I believe it is ,, Catnip is suppose to help with congestion also , Long time back plurasy and a few others ,people use to put it in tobacco for smokers , potpourri for others , I don't know for sure if it is though ?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Herb encyclopedia reads as this Gypsi
Lobelia inflata ; is effective in chronic bronchitis and bronchial asthma for which purpose the North American Native people smoked the leaves The following plants are also commonly used often in combination for asthma and bronchitis
Drosera rotundifolia ,, Euphobia Hirta , Grindelia camporum Sanguinaria canadensis ,Polygala senega , Symplocarpus foetidis , Urginea maritima ,
A newer treatment for Asthma is ,, a compound derivative synthetic substance of Khellin A compound isolated from Ammi visnaga A Mediterranean plant with a long history as an anti asthmatic agent in Arabia

Edited for I had to put my glasses on ,and haven't typed this much since school .. lol

This message was edited Jul 18, 2016 1:43 AM

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Herb Encyclopedia hmmm, named to make folks NOT want to ingest it? Loved those sprouts, Ju- but you had several in the 4th pic barely visible...
Crepe myrtle, I will stop and pull a picture next time. The black/red is a reasonably new color, but the deep purples are striking this year as well. The pink, not so showy. Mostly I just park where the only thing blooming is concrete - and the heat in it. 4am, 76* with 84% humidity just south of Gypsi is not as much a Ft Worth temp as it is a Houston temp. The humidity is prob messing up a lot of a/c units up here- stay after those filters. I love phlox, they smell so good.

Thank you juhur7, one of my friends gave me a plant of the Phlox and it really took off. About the Anemone this is a picture of mine just beginning to bloom,and you can check out the leaves too. Mipii I will have to go out at night time and find out if the White flower has a fragrance.

Thumbnail by cytf
Fort Worth, TX

dumped 2 weeks worth of photos onto hard drive. Here they come favorite: bumblebee moth on phlox. Dragonfly eggs on lily leaf. (that is propagation) My koi and lilies. And Amish Gold tomatoes from the garden, amidst the eggs

Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Kitt #4 picture possible and yes , Many plants are not palatable to the digestion , many poison , the book is full of dye , poultice , combinations of disorder recipes and remedies ,

cytf I have a Grape leaf Anemone that usually only grows one stem and blooms , Very similar to the one your showing but not as full

Oxdrift, Canada

Gypsi, is the mesh over your pond because some sort predator is going after your fish? One year I had trouble with a great blue heron getting mine and .then by accident I discovered that as long as I have my big crane statue out it seems to scare them away. So now I just have to remember to put the crane out before the fish in the spring and all is good. Your lilies are beautiful.
Keith

Fort Worth, TX

Great blue heron, that mesh is powder coated 2x3 fencing, and a statue doesn't scare them away in Texas. Not enough lakes Statue, plus alligator (fake) plus netting usually does the trick, I have everything but the gator.

Thank you. I love my ponds

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Beautiful ponds and water features! No fake gator! Yeah, these birds don't fool at all well. Hot out again today

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I agree all really great ,,
Some blooms ,, Zinnia

My pentstemons are rotting from all the rain and humidity Trying to save them ,If it works I will have Bunches ,

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

So sorry to hear about your Penstemons, you have beautiful Zinnias though.

Daylily Fleichal Black

Thumbnail by Mipii Thumbnail by Mipii
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Beautiful Daylily Robin , reminds of the Bela lugosi I lost a little

The Penstemons will be right back I have a half dozen cleaned of rot from the roots ,
and a dozen or more , without any doubt , to clean and reset A milk carton pots to the rescue thing ,,
Zinnia do add some bloom color to drab seasons
Here is one with a pollinator All things in the pink ?
Last two a new daylily seedling

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Oxdrift, Canada

Beautiful zinnias Ju and Robin that day lily is to die for! Have never seen that one in a catalogue here.
Robin do you not have a thread watcher on my oxalis thread. I posted updates yesterday
Keith

Fort Worth, TX

That day lily is STUNNING. I like the bright colors on the zinnias too Ju. Courtesy of a seed purchase in the year my daughters got married, mine are all white. but they come up for free so I just put bright gladiolas between them.

Wow what a beautiful moth! I can hardly wait to see your new Daylily seedling cross bloom...that could be a cool one.

The Fliechal Black is not a commerce DL for some reason, thanks you for the complements, I thought it was stunning too. It has thinner petals than Bela Lugosi Mine isn't ready to share yet, it's just one fan so far. I will collect seeds from it though and can send them when they're ready.

Keith I'll check out your other thread.

#1. Waiting for my first Candy Lily bloom, I love the way the scape is zigzagging it's way to the top.
#2. Garlic Chives with strappy, slightly twisting leaves.

Fort Worth, TX

That Candy Lily is going to be gorgeous when it blooms! Love the shape of the stem

Oxdrift, Canada

WOW Robin!!!! Is that candy lily stem normal or do you have it on some type of steroids. That is right funky. LOVE IT
Keith

I'm pretty sure it's normal Keith, this is the first time I grew it. It could also be on steroids, there's no saying what happens when my back is turned. I don't think the blooms are very big but I also had to purchase a couple more so I can cross them, lol.

Oxdrift, Canada

Will be waiting impatiently for the unveiling.

Okay, here it is...Candy Lily bloom!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Robin That is SUPER !!! Pretty !!!

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

We like the dramatic colors, chuckl. I am around the corner from Gypsi today- at least til I load my Coors at midnite. Hot enough to cook on concrete today, what I see from where I am. The dreaded bindweed flower

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I have the bindweed blooming here also , Sometimes the miniature morning glory .
Pretty scenery , The hot and dry look ,
Here the hot and humid with saturated earth ..

Thanks Ju!

I tried sitting on the concrete today, I could only handle it for a minute. Safe journey Kitt.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.