Plant Propagation: The Basics July/Aug 2016

Oxdrift, Canada

Love the brugmansia Debra

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Beautiful blooms Debra, you sure have it going on this time of year. Beautiful timing for me too as I'm looking to find things that are blooming now.

Fort Worth, TX

Gorgeous blooms Debra

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Love all the Flower pictures Debra .
around here been outside some , Setting up for perennial flowers , Thinking about Fall vegetables ,Never got around to collecting up my tea leaves Herb Tea and all.
This came to find some shade for a while ,interesting umbrella
Butterfly being inventive , How about a Tithonia sun shade for your patio table

Thumbnail by juhur7
Oxdrift, Canada

Those Mexican sunflowers sure make great butterfly magnets!!!

It would be great to have a Tithonia sun shade, especially in that color.

Fort Worth, TX

beautiful again. How do you get the butterflies to pose Ju?
Going to have to go buy reading glasses to wear with contacts. Pic 1 might be plants Debra sent me that haven't yet moved out to flowerbeds, or might be anything else. Lost 2 pair of reading glasses that should be on shelf of my desk since February, and I'll bet I find them as soon as back from drug store. a peeking fancy passion flower, soapwort getting a darker tone, more flowers I can't really see, and the bicycle I found at the curb on saturday when riding with my granddaughter, got the truck and went back for it.

Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi
Oxdrift, Canada

Nice Passion flower Gypsi

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Gypsi Nice pictures ,, Thee BF's They don't pose for me , I get lucky ..

1 The Hogs ,,
2 near almost on my planting table
3 almost orange
4 More Sun
5 Long lense

Hope the Bicycle finds it's place , Has one for now ,,he , he ,

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

I'd love to see a pic of the blooms in pic #1 when they show up, I'm curious (really curious) as to what it is Gypsi. Thanks for showing us your blooms, the same to Ju!

The kitten brood is growing and looks healthy and happy. I still want one of those -- even though I just found a new one in my yard and it looks like my total of furry feline friends count is now 4. We've got a neuter appointment. on Thursday.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Hoping furry , fuzzy still likes you after the Appt . Mine climbed the wall for hours afterward ,, literally , Graphic ,,, and goodness ..

Lot of my seedling photo's failed to focus , pic's are a pot of pink asters , here we go again ,,
Bronze fennel ,
Green Fennel
Flat topped aster
Smooth blue aster
Red Erigeron
Blue Erigeron ?
Night and Day snapdragon ,
Campanula persifolia
Feverfew
Garden Mustard
Wild Black Mustard
Spinach Mustard
Southern curled Giant Mustard
All these are growing ,
Forgot the Cabbages ,their in there ,

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

Ju have you got all those seeds in one pot? I wouldn't look forward to wall climbing, I should have a padded cell at the ready, just in case. Don't worry, I won't leave shoelaces or anything sharp in their either. What if they didn't give him pain meds to take home, could that be why he was climbing the walls?

Fort Worth, TX

Nice long shot ju. Oh no tiny pics mislead. Pic number one has a plain green bloom and grows wild around here. I took the pic to I'd and find out what it provides my bees.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Robin I don't remember oh , aha ,, it was Kilo when he reacted to tramadol , He was bouncing and digging his claws in half way up the wall and hanging there and yelling , then he would drop bounce ,yell and twist and then do it all over again ,
The seeds are all in different containers . Small plants most are now Two of the blue asters the Snapdragon and the red Milkweed are all in the ground now ,

Gypsi I don't know what that is , but if bees like it I would keep it also ,,

Oxdrift, Canada

That's a pretty healthy looking "almost orange" zinnia Ju.
Things could wind up almost any day here. The forecasts all appear safe but we have had 3 really cool mornings in the last week even though forecasts are for 10C. Two mornings at 4 and one at 5C. Have to keep a close eye on things and take a lot of coleus and succulent cuttings before it gets to 0. Last year we squeezed through to end of September but not real optimistic this year.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

nice shots of blooms and kitties and plants. I can't tell yet what you are looking for, Gypsy. I sure do like that bike! Here are a few of my seed and cutting propagation efforts

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Fort Worth, TX

Checked bike out yesterday, coaster brake works, rest need oiled, will air tires later. I started geranium cuttings and reported some of the parents Sunday night

All that work Keith and it's winding down already...I sure hope you like the looks of your estate in the winter. It's always great to have some winter interest.

I love your propagation efforts Debra, how did you like the 'potato method'? The results sure look satisfactory. I'm sure we'd all love to get a sport of that upside down cake...it looks fabulously yummy!!!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Photo's of different seedling and the containers .
These are mustard and asters mostly

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

1 red milkweed
2 red erigeron
3 bronze fennel
4 A construction bucket full of Bronze fennel
A new Campanula , on the zoom

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

1 thru 4 pink aster and Feverfew seedlings . little clearer Look okay after left open in last nights thumderstorms
5 Bamboo from early this season ,

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Two more Bamboo from seed in pots Two outside in the ground and August seeds are a no show ,
All these from seeds . most my own , all different pots mostly Robin
One of these is a newer white coneflower

and Debra Love all the propagating you have going also ,!!!

Keith ,, Than you about the zinnia , their a fun flower ,,

This message was edited Aug 31, 2016 4:06 PM

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

Very nice, lots of sprouting going on at Ju's house! Thanks for showing me every pot, I sure didn't mean to make all that work for you though. I just thought you might have thrown all of the seeds in one pot and sort it out later.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Robin ,, You making me do that ??? LOL , Lol , Roftl Roftl ,,, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Thumbnail by juhur7

Okay, so I perceived wrong...you didn't take it as some sort of a double dog dare huh? You didn't have to prove to me that all those seeds were sown in different pots?

Fort Worth, TX

I missed the potato. But here are my baby geraniums. I forgot to use rooting hormone on them, should I water with some? and one leggy adult. and one plant from a swap that I can't remember the name of and I should. It's not a brug, what is it?

Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Robin I don't think you perceived me wrong , I just starting laughing when I read that .. I am sprouting and potting things all the time , The idea of someone making me do that , never occurred me , lol
Sometimes there are interesting things going on about some the plants I start from seeds ,does not always concur with info ,,
And Robin , It would be like me saying I am making you plant your flowers ,, If you were in the mood I was . i bet you would laugh also ???

Gypsi I don't have the slightest idea of the unknown plant name , pretty pictures though

This message was edited Aug 31, 2016 11:13 PM

Fort Worth, TX

saw some at Home Depot a week ago, so I did a search for blue flowers at home depot and it is plumbago. the purple in that pic are african buttonbush, and the darker blue on the right are blue daze. I picked up another 20 misc pots at 70% off at Ace Hardware this evening, going to have fun.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Found my sweetbay, cuttings chilling at sis in laws house til I get moving again and I borrowed her plants for my blooms as summer winds down. Love the sprout medley, chuckl, wish I were around enough to keep a brug alive long enough it could survive tough love, chuckl.
66 instead of 65- so you have less time to draw it...

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Ok, hows chances on cuttings surviving the winter of this? It will be moving to Houston as I go... I dont see any seedpods...

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana

I bet Debra knows about Passiflora propagation from cuttings Kitt. You can always try and if you fail, Gypsi might find you some seeds from her vine up there.

Ju, I meant the work involved in taking pics, uploading and naming them all for us. I didn't mean sowing and growing...geesh, everybody knows you do that...all the time! You're a sprouting machine.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Robin!? Whine! We need a Sept Thread!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Robin you too Everyone who plays with seeds sprouts several pots and mixes and mulches coming up , lol
More to sprout

Morning Glory

Thumbnail by juhur7

Guess what Kitt? You won a new thread!
Here's the September link, don't forget to select 'Watch'
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/pf.php

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Takes me nowhere. I start Back Porch Threads, you guys do these!!! Worn out guys, seriously. Sorting thru pictures for a memorial to my brother that passed away yesterday and working on cleanup and designate. Thank heavens I am not the Executor- you need to be young for this

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Aww Kitt, I am so sorry for your loss.. I am glad you get to look for pictures, tho, that wiull bring good memories. Link is not working, Robin, try again?

Sorry guys, I don't know what happened, try this;
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1431281/

Oh my Kitt, I'm so sorry you have to suffer this loss, thoughts and prayers go out to you and yours.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.