Plant Propagation: The Basics Summer 2016

Fort Worth, TX

Well Jen here is your new thread, now start posting!
Photos: The "It came from a plant swap what is it woody young shrub or tree of unknown variety" - please help ID. Not sure what 2 is. 3 is koi looking for lunch. 4 is Blue Daze and a Red geranium hiding out on my porch, 5 is the view from my roof looking at the elder berry bush and my shed.

Where we came from: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1416399/

This message was edited May 17, 2016 8:58 AM

Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

You need to post it on the tree forum unless you can get frostweed or VV over here... looks like yarrow in and around it, but if it isnt an althea, I am past my guesses on woody things. 2) looks a lot like my elderberry (canadensis) thats blooming now. I think my sunflower might survive my zapping it with skeeter poison, but I think it feels forced to bloom too soon. Waved at Dallas on my way to colder weather (Eufala, Ok)

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana
Fort Worth, TX

going to find that tree forum. a lot of the stuff from that swap died in the pot and the pots were overtaken by weeds by the time I got it in the ground, that may have been a volunteer shrub. Enjoy the cool Kitt!

Kingsville, TX(Zone 9b)

Gypsi, the foliage in pic one looks SO familiar! But durned if I can place it. A Duranta. maybe? I'll have to look it up. I have one in my back yard, but it's after midnight and pouring down rain, so I'm not gonna go look. I know, downright inconsiderate of me. . . . . . (grin)

Vern (Rusty)

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

DURANTA, CURRENT, GOJI BERRY> LOL SORRY BOUT THE CAPS LOCK. CAN'T WAIT TO SEE WHT THAT ONE IS, LOOKS SO FAMILIAR. WISH I HAD A POND... *SIGH*

Fort Worth, TX

oh well, I went to the tree and shrub forum and someone suggested bird planted privet. I planted it 2 years ago and haven't seen a bloom yet, so I think the original flower in the pot from the swap died and the bird planted seedling took its place. I get to be off tomorrow. I love ponds but this pond cleaning season has been pretty long and pretty busy. And mine are dirty.

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

I've got nice swollen seed pods on my Hyacinth, I can hardly wait to take a look at the ripe seeds!

Thumbnail by Mipii
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Robin , hard and black ,like a hard iris seed ,what color are your Hyacinth ,

1 a clump of cutleaf coneflowers
2 seeds that got away from deadheading a clump of cutleaf coneflowers
penstemon getting their color
a wintersown tomato outdoors
a daisy , more buds than blooms ,,, Hey Miracle gro !!!

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

The buds belong to the purple Hyacinth, would you like some? You've got lots started growing in your garden Ju. That sure is a nice clump of cutleaf Coneflowers, that should look even better when it blooms. I swear your stuff blooms before mine.

Thumbnail by Mipii
Fort Worth, TX

Hyacinths are a northern blessing. They and tulips take much care to keep bulbs alive for replanting (2nd refrigerator with no apples in it). You mean that hyacinth makes viable seeds?

I don't dig tulip bulbs or Hyacinth bulbs here Gypsi, I just leave then in the ground. The seeds will take a longer time to bloom than planting bulbs because the seed will be creating a bulb. They are viable, I just don't know if the color will be true yet.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

My ground is a little on the wet undrained side of things for bulbs , I do not know about trying seeds yet Robin , Of Hyacinth )

My mind droggy has me Today , but do a few things I will setting up sunflowers and Zinnia ,
pots wth flowers to see where they will grow , and of course ,still dodging spiders . lol

Fort Worth, TX

I wish I could stop and photograph the borage, which is getting very large. But I have to build bee frames for my propagating bees before they decide to abscond and move to a neighbor's attic or something

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Zinnia sprouts 1 & 2

3 and 4 Some of my cement play ,, growing holes for smaller stemmed annuals and holds weeds down , lets the flowers grow , At least that is the idea, cover the cement with mulch too as they do not look that great , but it warms up the flowers that like it that way ,

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

That's a grand idea Ju...kudos!
Gypsi, we'll get to see that pic when the timing is better. Bees come first.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Thank you Robin , All I need now is another table to work on as I am makig my back tired doing them on the drive access ,lol

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Flowers still blooming 2 is a Clematis . other you can recognize

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

Beautiful Iris!

I succumbed to buying more Viola...#1 & #2
#3 is a hybrid seedling from cross pollinating the purple with the tri-color.
#4 is a sweet little volunteer from the Aster family.

This message was edited May 20, 2016 7:46 PM

Thumbnail by Mipii Thumbnail by Mipii Thumbnail by Mipii Thumbnail by Mipii

Those are adorable!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Robin I agree , Viola are delightful , As as long it is cool the Hybrids bloom , Some of them even take the hot weather ,
The yellow is unusual and Preeeety ,,,

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

A couple more , The blue is actually deep purple

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

My deep purple ones are tough to photograph too. I love your deep pink ones!
Weigela 'My Monet'

Thumbnail by Mipii
Fort Worth, TX

I should have taken a camera with me. Hive 1 has made queen cells. Propagating indeed - one was capped and the other being capped.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

that is pretty too , Lots f color there
it's raining here again , okay with me ,,

Fort Worth, TX

flowers and a few koi. (pond photo is sideways, will upload when I have time to edit
white lily with dinner plate leaves, purple hardy lily, my poor smothered texas sage covered with passionflower vine, Queen Elizabeth rose I started from a cutting Jan 1 2002

Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi

Thanks Ju, we are supposed to get an early morning rain.

Gorgeous blooms Gypsi! How did you start your Rose?

Oxdrift, Canada

Robin: nice weigela. They sell them here but I have no luck overwintering them.
Gypsi: beautiful pond plants. Mine are just waking up. The water is unbelievably clear this year. The fish have nowhere to hide right now til some plant life gets growing.

A few pictures of what's been keeping me busy for the last few days. I have a cottage style garden just off the back deck with a path network that has long been needing a refresh. I saw this idea on Pinterest using wood discs. I just happen to have a stand of Tamarac on my property that is dying for some reason. Last fall I cut 2 large ones down and cut them into 4" discs. Firstly I had to dig the paths down about 6" which was a huge challenge because there were a few layers of landscape fabric burried in layers of decomposed mulch. At times I had used plastic burlap bags in lieu of mulch. There was a red maple tree in there that I had to remove last week because it was looking pretty ratty after struggling all those years outside of its zone. Well as it grew its root were woven through all those layers of fabric and burlap. What a job!
Well I managed and hauled in a few loads of sand to make a base for the discs. The second picture is a view of part of the trail system just loose laid. The first is a closeup after I filled the spaces with black crushed rock. Unfortunately I underestimated the amount of discs required last fall so it's back to the Tamarac swamp before I can finish the project. If I survive I think it will be worthwhile.
PS. Took a break this afternoon to do first seeding in the vegetable garden; peas,corn, lettuce, cilantro, spinach, beets, Swiss chard, radishes, going to monitor the weather a bit before putting out any transplants ie tomatoes, peppers, basil, more cilantro, watermelon, cantaloupe . Will seed cucumber, beans zucchini and squash in about a week

This message was edited May 20, 2016 10:36 PM

Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Too wet in my area for wood steps- they would be covered in decomp fungi in a week. Especially this year. I love the look tho! Corn was going in ground in Ft Wayne, Ind as I passed thru- some fields are already up as well there. Saw a helicopter with what looked to be a sprayer rig for dusting. Or maybe I am just plant oriented- could have been cameras on extended rods under the chopper?

Oxdrift, Canada

As wood goes, Tamarac is way more rot resistant than most so crossing my fingers.

Your path project looks great Keith, I'll be here waiting for pics of the final result. Another thing you've got going for you is the sand and crushed rock; those don't rot wood as quick as earth does.

Fort Worth, TX

Beautiful Keith

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Keith That path is really nice natural material look and look

lovely photos of lovely blooms, great projects and interesting chat. I am working today, but did sneak out in tween rains last night to get another batch of my snow peas... yummy. Poor things didn't make it into the house,, as usual. I have baby maters, baby peppers and taters foliage up now.. maybe I'll get out this Sunday.. looks like the sun decided to finally break out, we have been cold wet and rainy here this week..

Lol Debra...isn't life great sometimes?

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

See Gypsi, wasn't just me waiting for the new thread. Gosh all the pics and chatter is great. Sorry I missed it until now. Been so busy this week,don't know what doing. Went over to my sister's today and took her some tomato plants. Trying a new, new to me anyway, Early Girl Bush. They have always been indeterminate so, hope the bush is a good one for me. I didn't get out today, but see my Dwarf Lilac, Miss Kim is blooming like crazy. First year for it to bloom. 3rd year for it to be planted. It really is covered. Will try to get a pic tomorrow. My Rhodie is blooming and wouldn't you know, the rain has just demolished it. They only have a week or two to bloom, and then the rain ruins them. It is up to the bathroom window now. The honeysuckle hasn't opened yet, any day now.

Bob pressure washed the living room deck and railing so he can stain it and get my plants on it. My neighbor came over looking to see if I had the plants up on the deck so he could install my drip system. Told him to give me a week and it would be ready for it. So nice of him. His wife was just diagnosed with Alzheimers so they rushed into moving her into her daughter's house to be near the medical system in Spokane, but now she misses all of her friends up here. So sorry for the both of them.They are putting their house on the market to sell. Tried to tell him she could go on for 20 years, but he turned everything over to his daughter and that is what she decided. So sad. She wants to come home. Oh well, not my decisions.

Well guys, it is after midnight so past time for my bedtime. Must hit the sack. Love all the pictures. That Weigelia is gorgeous. One of my favorite plants. I had a variegated pink one in Seattle. The bees loved it. 'nite you all. jen

BTW, have any of you heard of Sundowners Syndrome? Just curious. jen

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Well, haven't had that happen in a couple of days. It just disappeared on me. The whole thread. Forgot what I was saying anyway, hope I didn't stop you all from posting. It has been a real nasty day. Was planning on a lot of stuff out on the kitchen deck, but it poured off and on all day. So, didn't get anything done. Made some corned beef hash tonight for dinner and will make some pasties tomorrow with the leftovers. Haven't had those in years. ttyl, jen

Today's been a slow day for posting Jen, it's always a pleasure to hear from you. If everybody was getting rain, everybody would have been on here chatting.

My DH and I got out to his Mom's and rototilled a chunk of ground to plant Sweet corn in. He went to the grain elevator yesterday to purchase some seed corn and came back with a nice surprise of onion sets too. Now I've got 40 onions to plant. We went over to his sister's house before we started working on the field and they just finished planting onion seedlings and gave us their leftovers. I just planted twenty onions tonight. Perhaps man can live on corn and onions, lol.

I haven't heard of Sundowners Syndrome until now. I'm so sorry to hear about your neighbor Jen. That's got to be a tough situation for everybody involved. Life sure can be unpleasant at times.

Fort Worth, TX

Already too late here for sweet corn, I rarely get it planted. Nortern temps are cooler, days longer

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Today's iris

Thumbnail by juhur7

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.