Propagation: Plant Propagation: The Basics Summer 2016, 2 by oxdriftgardener

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright oxdriftgardener

In reply to: Plant Propagation: The Basics Summer 2016

Forum: Propagation

Back to post
Photo of Plant Propagation: The Basics Summer 2016
oxdriftgardener wrote:
Robin: nice weigela. They sell them here but I have no luck overwintering them.
Gypsi: beautiful pond plants. Mine are just waking up. The water is unbelievably clear this year. The fish have nowhere to hide right now til some plant life gets growing.

A few pictures of what's been keeping me busy for the last few days. I have a cottage style garden just off the back deck with a path network that has long been needing a refresh. I saw this idea on Pinterest using wood discs. I just happen to have a stand of Tamarac on my property that is dying for some reason. Last fall I cut 2 large ones down and cut them into 4" discs. Firstly I had to dig the paths down about 6" which was a huge challenge because there were a few layers of landscape fabric burried in layers of decomposed mulch. At times I had used plastic burlap bags in lieu of mulch. There was a red maple tree in there that I had to remove last week because it was looking pretty ratty after struggling all those years outside of its zone. Well as it grew its root were woven through all those layers of fabric and burlap. What a job!
Well I managed and hauled in a few loads of sand to make a base for the discs. The second picture is a view of part of the trail system just loose laid. The first is a closeup after I filled the spaces with black crushed rock. Unfortunately I underestimated the amount of discs required last fall so it's back to the Tamarac swamp before I can finish the project. If I survive I think it will be worthwhile.
PS. Took a break this afternoon to do first seeding in the vegetable garden; peas,corn, lettuce, cilantro, spinach, beets, Swiss chard, radishes, going to monitor the weather a bit before putting out any transplants ie tomatoes, peppers, basil, more cilantro, watermelon, cantaloupe . Will seed cucumber, beans zucchini and squash in about a week

This message was edited May 20, 2016 10:36 PM