November-Getting Ready for the Holidays

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Just got home about an hour ago. My nephew and I were going nuts over the heated seats. Especially coming home because we stopped in Bethany and got ice cream cones. lol.

This Explorer is brand spanking new with on a few thousand miles on it. Good gas mileage too. We averaged I think 22 mpg on it and that was with the speeding. LOL

We did have fun and I don't have trip pics. Nothing really to see between here and there and I know Happ can attest to that. I-35 is a very boring highway. lol.

Had a snowball fight today up there. There was about 4 inches or so of snow there and it was a nice wet snow. My left hearing aid got hit twice but luckily didn't mess up the hearing aids. Family was laughing at me every time I came in to dry them and my ears off though. lol. My nephew especially got the worse of it and was wet top to bottom when we left there. Thank god for heated seats!! LOL!! When we took him home my dad told him he needed to hop into a hot shower so he ran inside yelling at his mom to get the hot shower ready for him. lol. She told him do it himself.

First thing in the morning we have to vacuum out the car and run it thru the car wash to make it nice and clean. Their guy did a lousy job cleaning so we're gonna show him up. LOL. Turn it in and hit Cargo Largo which is slightly better than Savers but only because they carry more stuff. LOL

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Sounds like fun even tho I-35 is VERY boring...lol which is nice when weather is bad. Sounds like fun having a snowball fight, glad it was up there tho.. ;)

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We were down to KC area once. Drive home we took back roads. We went through Marysville & then on towards DesMoines. Then a highway up the middle of Iowa. Iy was late in hadvest season, so lots to look at. I hate freeways.
4 years we went to Kentucky Round up. 1st year we went down on a freeway. After that we never did a freeway. Lot more interesting trips.

Unless I am in a hurry I like going back roads and stopping when I see something interesting. When we go to Wisconsin we usually take the freeway until we get up closer and then start darting around on the back roads.

I have seen other DG folks go to other RU's. I don't know if they still do it but i remember seeing a group that rented cabins up north somewhere for the whole weekend and just sounded like they had a great time.

I cleaned the majority of the day yesterday on the kitchen. I mean deep clean. I opened every cabinet and cleaned the drawers and bottoms, arranged everything, cleaned oven, fridge, sinks, windows, and oiled all the cabinets from baseboards up to the top. How bad is that it took all day, geehz. Today I am picking another room just haven't decided which one yet...lol Nothing should be as hard as the kitchen, well except for the laundry room...ugh.

I am going to work on my chiefs stone also. I want to see it donw. Started another wreath, updated my Christmas list. I actually bought a Christmas app for my Iphone and I love it. I can take a pic of the present, put down ideas, etc. Then archive them if I want to look at years gone by. I have a huge list of family, friends, and now my adopted little girl. I love Christmas.

Stay warm everyone!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Here's a couple pictures from 2008 in Kentucky.

In the 5th picture are Terry & Melody, Dave's Garden experts.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens
(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

WHAT A GREAT GROUP OF GARDENERS!

Looks like you all had a great time. How fun. Did you all stay a weekend or? That is quite a drive from your home.

Wow we warmed up today and I went out and washed windows on the east side of the house 7 of them and cleaned the pantry. I took out everything, put down new paper and threw away a ton of expired stuff I feel terrible...but if it is very old out it goes. Would hate to think how old some of those spices were..lol. I made a sugar-free shelf so DH can just grab and go. He is a visual person so all his stuff is at eye level. If I want to hide something just sit in on the bottom self and he will never see it....

Hope you all are having more fun than me I hate cleaning, which is why it is taking so long...

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We went 4 years in a row. Different route each time.
The last year we came through Branson.
Went clear to east of Cincinatti the first year to visit a DGer.
Loads of fun. Stayed in the same cottage each year. It was at Prizer Point on Lake Barkley.

Oh so fun.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

My neighbor was just spending Thanksgiving Day, but too much red tape with the nursing home, so we are going to pass for this holiday.

No homes for the kittens yet. Kittens and new puppy play well together. They are hilarious to watch.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Quote from CountryGardens :
We went 4 years in a row. Different route each time.
The last year we came through Branson.
Went clear to east of Cincinatti the first year to visit a DGer.
Loads of fun. Stayed in the same cottage each year. It was at Prizer Point on Lake Barkley.

Lake Barkley is not far away, what makes Prizer Point so special?

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Happ,
Laughing! I'm glad I'm not the only one watching the silly fluff on TV :o)

Pepper,
Absolutely rolling on the ground laughing over ice cream and heated seats!!!
Now that's not bad at all for an Explorer. I don't think we ever did that well when we had them.
It sounds like you had a wonderful time and I am glad they didn't knock your hearing aid into the snow!!

Bernie,
We've learned to take the back roads in too. Interstate is nothing but non-stop semis. You finally get in front of them and another comes up and gets in front again.

Happ,
You are doing it right. Deep clean one room at a time and yes, do the worst or most visible first! I can believe how time consuming the kitchen was, but now it's done and in a day no less.

Bernie,
What a great gathering! I know Bonnie and Elena.

HAPP!
You are accomplishing all this cleaning and I have a whole house to do! Proud of you tho :o)

Betty,
I'll bet it's fun to watch the little ones play. I hope you can find homes for them before they get too old.

It was nice here yesterday. I hung clothes out wading in the snow in my boots.

I picked up ornaments and stored them on the porch till the holidays are over. I'll need the sideboard for Thanksgiving and Christmas food.

I'm almost over the sinus! I'll be so glad what that is done. I usually don't get so tired with sinus, but I sure have been laying around. Time to get UP!!!

Have a blessed day all!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

It was at least a 4 day event. We would get there Thursday & leave on Sunday. Some people came farther than we did. About 800 miles for us. Some brought campers or a tent.
Melody & her DH started it years ago, I have no idea why they picked Prizer Point. But it worked very good. In September, there were very few others there.
I wish it was still going on.

CG sounds like a lot of fun. That is how I read the one up north, it was a weekend event.

I am so SICK of cleaning. Kitchen DONE, pantry DONE, bedroom DONE, entry hall DONE, bathroom DONE, DONE DONE DONE...all I have left is the laundry room. It is kind of like a small kitchen, cabinets, sink, and w&d. I wash all dishes in there...lol It is right off garage and the kitchen and it is used non stop. So last night dancing with the stars (another no brainer tv show i lose brain cells over) I cleaned on the bedroom until Castle came on...last of the no brainers...lol

So I guess I decided I deserved a treat got my hair done and connected to the salon is a junk store.....well I found me a counter type cabinet for my garden/studio room! So excited. Cant pick it up until tomorrow so it better not rain until I get it back home from getting it. I think it will work perfectly.

Oh I bet the kitties are so cute. Wish I lived closer. We use to get my Mom out of rehab when she first had her stroke and it was like doing a jail break! Heavens it is not easy so I understand about the nursing home.

Billyp glad you are getting well. Sometimes our bodies just decide we are going to rest rather we like it or not.. Bad thing about cleaning it is never ending..lol

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Wow Bernie,
That was quite a drive! I would have made it the four day event!

Happ,
You are all set to put Christmas out now! I envy your clean house, lol!
I'd love to have a laundry room like yours!
I've been watching Law and Order. I never watched it when i first came out so most of the shows are new to me :o)
Awesome!! New hair and a cabinet. It can't get any better!
Funny, I really didn't mind resting this time. Usually I try to be up, but I gave in.

So, today is my last sick day and it's been 15 days of pure annoyance! My eyes are still swollen and dark red. I went to the grocery stores anyway and tried not to look at anyone. I hope my glasses frames covers a lot of it.

I'm all set for thanksgiving dinner! I made a small bowl of potato salad after we got back. Sometimes one of the boys decide they don't like potatoes and gravy but they all like the salad.

Have a heartfelt Happy Happy Thanksgiving!!! I'll see you all after!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Wow Bernie,
That was quite a drive! I would have made it the four day event!

Happ,
You are all set to put Christmas out now! I envy your clean house, lol!
I'd love to have a laundry room like yours!
I've been watching Law and Order. I never watched it when i first came out so most of the shows are new to me :o)
Awesome!! New hair and a cabinet. It can't get any better!
Funny, I really didn't mind resting this time. Usually I try to be up, but I gave in.

So, today is my last sick day and it's been 15 days of pure annoyance! My eyes are still swollen and dark red. I went to the grocery stores anyway and tried not to look at anyone. I hope my glasses frames covers a lot of it. I'd like to know what I'm allergic to since this has never happened before this year.

I'm all set for thanksgiving dinner! I made a small bowl of potato salad after we got back. Sometimes one of the boys decide they don't like potatoes and gravy but they all like the salad.

Have a heartfelt Happy Happy Thanksgiving!!! I'll see you all after!

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

A very busy day here - getting ready for the big feast tomorrow. I've spent most of the day cleaning downstairs - cleaning up after storage and moving around of all my gardening bulbs, saved seed, tracked in dirt, etc.,etc. Vacuum bag is full! I've boxed up my pressure cooker (canning for sure done for the year). Wish I had as much energy as some of you and had cleaned cabinets and closets but geeeesh no telling what I would have found hiding in there. I've just finished playing on the chalk board ahead of the kids adding their artwork tomorrow. When I started to sit down to my computer this morn I glanced out the window and best I could count there were 21 big turkey birds out from my window in the field. Look hard - they are in one of the pictures. The leaves below are from a Japanese Maple - they were much prettier than the picture.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING~ENJOY AND BE THANKFUL!~

Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654

I'm sitting here waiting on the oven to be finished being fixed so I can make my cake for tomorrow. lol. Element went out so that's gotta be tested to make sure that was the problem then hopefully onto cake!! lol

Hope everyone has a safe and fun day tomorrow!! Be careful those of you in the icy mess!!

(Patti) Wichita, KS(Zone 6b)

Wishing everyone a very Happy Thanksgiving!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Happy Thanksgiving! God bless.

Happy Thanksgiving!! All be safe.

It's freezing rain out and I have to leave in about an hour and drive in it. Oh so fun...not. lol

I know you will be very careful, pepper. We are vacillating between freezing rain and sleet. That's after receiving over 2 inches of rain yesterday. After the rain stopped, they started treating the roads. I wonder if the freezing rain will wash it away. Last I heard, we are going to have a high today of 30°.

I am so depressed !! First time in 35years I have missed Black Friday! I love black friday, I have been up since 5am trying to figure out how bad the roads are. My problem is it is 45min to shopping from here, I think now I would be ok, but never know what it will be like trying to get home. I am sort of lost, miss all the people, friends, lunch, bargins...lol Shopping online is no fun.

Pepper be careful, not that you wouldn't.

Oh Brenda love the pics. The turkeys are great. We use to have alot of them around here. They would fly high in the trees and roost. One time coming down the road one was heading straight for my car in the air! Sure didn't want him to hit me head on...lol Look like a bomber heading for me.

Well I guess I will start studying for my test tomorrow, that is if I can get there! Suppose to be the same weather.

Later stay warm.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

WOW ~ Sounds like parts of Kansas are getting hammered! I feel for you - but don't be sending it my way. Just getting started raining here.

My Black Friday consisted of going to a local antique shop and purchasing a really nice book on making wreaths from all kinds of things (except coffee filters - which was certainly pretty).

Woops - company is here - must go!

The roads never got bad today. Tonight I don't know how bad they will get. Haven't seen the weather since football was on. Store was busy all day today. Had me running in circles. lol

Bummer of a black friday, everything up here froze. The cars, grass, trees, etc. Still frozen this morning. Need to check on the water garden I haven't turned off the pump or put the heater in. I did do some shopping online and got several more things.

I studied yesterday but heart wasn't in it. Think I will try the test on Monday, that is the last day. I had thought about taking it today, but honestly just don't want to get out.

Hope everyone stayed/stays safe and warm. Need to get my bird feed out today. Should of done it yesterday.

Oh, Brenda if you make any wreaths be sure and show them, I love seeing that stuff.

My DGD was here on thursday, she knew exactly what my wreath was made from..lol I ask how she knew that and of course school uses lots of crafts with coffee filters. Her Mom laughed and said she had wondered the same thing because they don't drink coffee either.

I can't imagine my world without coffee. LOL

It took me all day yesterday to recover from the day before. The only thing I did was make shepherds pie. That is my go to comfort food apparently. I had planned on making turkey stock yesterday – it didn't happen. I finally got the turkey in the stockpot earlier this morning and then went out to fill the birdfeeders. I stopped just for a moment as I walked out the back door and spied three mourning doves, two squirrels and a bunch of chippings Sparrows on the ground. The actual feeders had a couple of finches, a cardinal and a black-capped chickadee. A Carolina wren has been visiting the suet feeder but so far that's the only thing I've seen on that feeder. I'm somewhat surprised.

It has been wonderful to read about you all spending time with loved ones. Our feast was small and quiet, but with enough food that Tom and mom had enough to take home for two more meals. In addition, mom got enough for four meals because she has my brother home from the group home for the weekend.

I hope you all have a wonderful day. If you're going out, please be careful. I have just enough milk to make it until tomorrow, so I plan on staying in again today. Walking down icy backstairs to get to the feeders was thrilling enough.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Still raining here in Southern Illinois.

Now it is time for me to pick up all my fall decor and think about my "primitive" theme for Christmas. Earlier this morn I debated on starting to put a few things away, then I decided it wasn't even December yet. Excusses!

My primitive theme will mean that I plan to use evergreen and native things from outside for most of my decorations. I don't think that is as hard to clean up and put away, either. I'm working on a quilt top (and have been for a couple years now). HA! The portion of the quilt top will be my primitive table cloth for the big table and to be able to use it, I'll have to work a few more rows onto it. I'm peacing this quilt with the sewing machine and the fabric is nothing I have purchased. It is mostly DH's discarded plaid shirts.

The other thing I have going are about a dozen Amaryllis bulbs (mostly red bloomers) that I am trying to force by December 9th for a garden club luncheon. We'll see how that goes.

We have just acquired 3 hens and a rooster so I am happy to say I'm seeing on average one egg a day. WHOPEE!

Worked another day of what felt like Black Friday Madness then I went and upgraded my mom's phone because my boss got one real cheap this morning and it was a nice one. lol. Not sure what he got though cause mine cost about triple that. He had to replace his because he not only ran over it with the forklift last night he turned the tires around on it and just smashed the crap out of it. lol

Now I'm huddled under 2 covers trying to warm up. Freezing rain has me freezing!! lol

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Brenda,
I am always amazed to see a huge group of turkeys here! They are so tame tho. You can drive by them eating spilled corn along the side of the road.
LOVE your chalkboard art! I see them! The colors on your leaves are so pretty!

Pepper,
I hope you got your oven fixed in time.
Those are the days I so wish we had an attached garage....

Happ,
ROTFL! You are one of a kind. I run screaming from Black Fridays or any huge sales! No crowds for me!
A friend of ours it a turkey at 55 mph. I couldn't believe the huge dent he put in the windshield. Some glass broke, but it mostly held.
Your DGD made me smile! Is she another crafter in the making?

Patti,
I LOVE Shepard's Pie and I love being able to send food home with family.

Brenda,
I too need to pick up the fall decor and prepare for Christmas, but I'm with you. It's not December yet. I don't like the stores rushing holidays so I'm making myself wait.
Can't wait to see your tablecloth when it's finished!!
AWESOME on the chicks and eggs!

Pepper,
I am still laughing at your boss and his phone!!

We ran into Lowe's yesterday because the microwave finally died Thanksgiving morning. It made a noise like I was creating Frankenstein and to the porch it went. We got a smaller one this time and I like it! I also wanted a vacuum cleaner I could tote and have been looking at the Shark since last year. We got one of those too, on sale! I'm going to give my Dyson to DD. It's noisy, but works well and will pick up the sand off her floors. She has the Animal from Dyson but it's needing replaced.
So far the Shark works well on carpet. I got three attachments plus the standard. Dyson never had those, so I'm very happy to get bare floor and upholstery brushes. It has a stand with rollers to pull when I lift the canister away and I am pretty happy with it! The Dyson is a very good vacuum tho and I never regretted getting one.

I need to have my picture taken with the grandkids. I should have done it Friday so DD could take a few. Kicking self!

We decided to not use a cooking bag for the turkey and the wings and legs didn't get done. But, the oven was still running so I put them on a sheet and slid them in. We didn't need them anyway.

DD brought a brisket and cabbage for us to try. She bought herself an electric pressure cooker and really like it! It has at least 6 preset buttons, for meat, fish, rice, etc. She even did hard boiled eggs. The brisket was delicious!

I made a wonderful apple pie. On the way to DD's, down her gravel road there is an apple tree that overhangs the ditch. I've had Charlie stop to pick me an apple and they were always sour. This time I made him stop before it froze and we grabbed four. I made the best applesauce from them. So after two hard freezes, I made him stop again. They were as hard as a rock so I got bagful.
If I knew what that tree was I'd make room for it. The flesh is yellowish. NO bugs. The only blemishes were a small brown corky spot I easily dug out with the peeler. The pie was delicious! I used a brown sugar, butter, flour crumb topping. The apples were tossed with a little suger, nutmeg and cinnamon.

Our Thanksgiving went well, good food, good kids and just a nice day! I washed dishes during the day so the work was done when I got a bath and collapsed on the bed to watch TV :o)

Have a beautiful day!!!

Ok, Brenda I need your help! Our gardening group is doing a community Christmas tree in all
'natural' so we are a little lost on what exactly we are going to do. We are using burlap garland and I am in charge of that, burlap tree skirt, we have a few bird nests, one of the gardeners is bringing some dried weed stalks of some kind (haven't seen them), I have some pine cones. what are you doing and be sure and post some pics....HELP.

BillyP I am so hungry now reading about all the food. DH stayed up late and now he is sleeping late, so breakfast will be late...My neighbor so far has tore out about 60 apple trees of all varieties. Her Dad planted over 100 and he passed away and she cant keep up with them so she is getting rid of them. so sad, but I understand her problem.

Ok I am done with winter. We haven't had a drop of sunshine in forever and I am like Pepper I am tired of cold and wet....Everything is frozen crunchy up here, walking to the garden room is a small slope and can be a little exciting! Not carrying water out there now...lol

DGD loves to draw... she always brings up pictures and draws the whole time she is here. For Christmas I am getting her a nice desk set and I think I will go down to a real art store and load up on things and get her a nice art portfolio carrier. She will think she is big time..lol She gave me her Christmas list and only thing on it was a fitbit watch, really she is 9, not happening..lol

Hadn't thought about it but I don't think anyone in my whole family drinks coffee, out of probably 20 of us...that is strange now that I think about it. Love hot tea and hot chocolate.

Here is a pic of my glass door, DGD decorated it for me, we put the flakes up with stick glue and are holding nicely! lol Her Dad is a neat freak and I thought he was going to have the big one when we were doing it. lol

Thumbnail by happgarden

Those flakes look great! My SIL is also a neat freak and OCD. lol. We have learned not to get my nephew anything that he might get bored with in short time because if it isn't used for 2 weeks it's gone. So all his toys and stuff stay here and clothes go home. lol

Oven got fixed that day. Just bad element. Now dealing with the washer which keeps coding so gotta call on it tomorrow.

If this rain doesn't leave tomorrow I'm gonna scream. I love rain but this is a little hard to enjoy when you don't get to see the sun for over a week.

I agree a hundred percent Pep, geehz, I am solar powered and the battery is getting low... ;)

Well we had ham for Thanksgiving so we are having navy beans and ham for the next month..wow a bag of beans makes alot! I will freeze them tho. You know I froze those chicken and noodles that were left but someone told me I won't like them, the noodles will turn to mush, they were already mushy. Anyone have any experience in that? You guys have made me want a GOOD homemade pie, and shepherds pie...those sound so warm and so good.

Our washer sounds like a jet engine when it is in the spin cycle and the timer doesn't work right, and yes DH is going to fix it.....when who knows...lol Guess when he decides I am really going to go buy a new one and he gets scared.

Think my kitty is not feeling well. I noticed yesterday I didn't think she was eating well. Today I have taken canned food, baked chicken, and some treats to her and she nibbled at all of them, but can't say she has eaten alot. Might be my imagination but I don't think she is jumping as much. Usually when I am in the garden room she is in my chair, bench, and everywhere. So hard when you can't talk to them.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Happ,
I hope you get pictures when you get your all natural Christmas put together. Is a popcorn string natural?
I cry too over those apple trees. I can imagine trying to keep up with them. So sad.
And we, are warm and raining. I don't envy your crunching.
DGD will LOVE her art supplies and I adore her snowflakes. I never thought of doing that with the boys yet. ROTFL over her neat freak Dad!! I think that door is the perfect place for them.
I need to mix up the hot cocoa mix you make with hot water. I had to buy a container to keep it in. I'm doing that today for sure!

Pepper,
I feel for your nephew. I too keep toys here, but mainly because DD has no room to keep anything!
The washer too. Do I hear it ''pouring'' at your house?

Happ,
ROTFL! Luckily, ham and beans do freeze well. Make a few one meal containers. They are great to pull out of the freezer when you've had a long day.
Laughing. Usually when we talk about a ''new one'' in front of an appliance we get a lot more use out of it. I had another good month out of the microwave and a long time with the washing machine!
Kitty possibly has a hairball. We give Zoe a small string of goop every day for a while. He's the only one that has them and the only one who will eat the goop. Petey, usually just doesn't feel good. Sometimes it's a vet trip, but lately he's come out of it. I hope your kitty passes what ever is ailing her.

Monday, and it already rained in the night. I'll take all the rain I can get. I think I'll use my new Shark in the bedroom. It's the best place to try all the attachments :o)

Prayers for all to have what they need.

Rain has finally stopped after a full miserable week!! I love rain but I like a break too. lol

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Look what I bought at Fleamart,
(a local flea market..lol).
A cool metal sign, for $1.25!

This message was edited Nov 30, 2015 8:45 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

That's cool!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.