November-Getting Ready for the Holidays

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Pepper carpet cleaner sounds like a perfect bribe I mean gift...lol

Found my next Christmas project, For another friend need to find some kind of table.

The Chiefs stone is going good. I had one mistake but it wasn't hard to correct. Started on the outside edge won't be long before I can finish up the white in the center. Hoped to get it done today but too much happening.

Need to get this stuff done in 2 weeks or less lots of projects to do.

Thumbnail by happgarden
(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

wow did you do that table? It is awesome!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I am on the run. Only had time to read.

Hugs to all the animals!

We canned 21 quarts of applesauce and had to throw one bucket of rotten apples. I have one bucket left, but these are better keepers. Snow apples do not keep. Lesson learned. These were all handpicked too.

Have a great day!

I'm still working pictures so I chose a few archive blooms.

Thumbnail by billyporter Thumbnail by billyporter Thumbnail by billyporter Thumbnail by billyporter Thumbnail by billyporter
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Hi everyone. Busy day too. Raked pine straw off the front lawn and wheel barrowed it to the backyard to spread on the gardens. My arms ache.

We are suppose to drop into the mid 30s by early morning so I picked the last of the lima beans.

"Squirrels gathering nuts." lol

Debra, no I did not make the table lol, yet, I am going to make it for a friend. Found the plant stand to make it on today when I was out with friends...excited to get started on it but need to finish the chiefs rock oh yeah and find the tiles..lol.

GB we are suppose to get cold tonight also. I meant to check the yard to make sure I had everything up. Guess I will find out tomorrow. I heard pine straw is a good mulch. Cant buy it anywhere around here for some reason. We had to cut down all our pine trees so I just have leaves now, big old maples.

BillyP you are scaring me knowing how many photos I have to do...lol Should keep me busy and warm this winter.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Billy, your pics look like calendar photos. Very nice. We are already down to 38 F at midnight. Could get as low as 31 F tonight and tomorrow night. That should get rid of the skeeters.

It feels like it might be cold outside, I am in a turtle neck, sweatshirt, leggins and socks x's 2, feel okay so far.
I agree, those photos are beautiful, Billy, did you enter the photo contest here?

This message was edited Nov 9, 2015 8:01 AM

Oh BillyP your pics make me WANT SPRING, and winter hasn't even here yet!

(Patti) Wichita, KS(Zone 6b)

Sally, gorgeous pictures! Do you ever slow down? LOL

Jamie came over yesterday and put a few last-minute plants in the ground for me. I was gifted woodland phlox, European ginger, hellebore and two others that I can't remember the name of right now. Even though I woke up at 3:30, I have only had one cup of coffee. Brains not functioning at optimal level yet. I was hoping to go back to sleep but that didn't happen. We also did a few other chores to prepare for winter. We did not put the garden hoses away yet however.

I am so flitterpatted. Two weeks ago, Jamie and I spread straw on my lasagna bed. It is sprouting! What in the world am I supposed to do about that?

I also put the little organza bags over three buds on the Mexican Petunia. The buds never opened. Gardening is full of surprises! LOL

Joyce, how is Slick, the Bassett, doing? I hope you are getting some sleep now and that your husband's back is holding up. And we have baby kittens out there – they doing okay?

It must be going to turn cold soon because Tucker has started shedding like the big dog he is. I filled a large cottage cheese container with fur when I brushed him this morning. I'll put it out in the garage and save it till spring and then put it in a suet feeder for the birds. I will be putting cat fur in there too. I need to find some little pieces of yarn too. I bought a new hummingbird feeder for next year the other day. Boy, has my life changed in the last few months, thanks to three little tomato plants. ROTFL

TY for asking Patti, Slick is sleeping right now which is never good...lol Altho Bassests sleep alot. He has his days and nights mixed up. He also pulled his cath out yesterday so off to the vet again. Vet porsch did charge us tho...thank goodness!!! DH is sleeping on a foam mattress on the floor in the living room with the dog. I slept in the bedroom didn't wake up once! Feel like a human. I guess the dog did good last night and so did DH. When I got up they were nose to nose..rofl.

Been working on the chiefs stone. Down to the hard part I think trying to get the biggest part of the pattern laid down the way I think it looks ok. Hard to see because it is white glass on white paper.

Will you have been quiet? hummmm.

Thumbnail by happgarden
Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

BillyP - I so enjoyed your pictures.

Sounds like everyone is BUSY!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Betty,
I never had much luck with limas. It was so rainy this year they would have been moldy. Mom used to do them and they are so good out of the freezer.

Happ,
Isn't it funny we can't buy pine needles. My neighbors use theirs for mulch. I envy them :o)
I have only been using a digital camera since 2006. I can't tell you how many pictures I had. The E-drive recovery brought back symbols for some, duplicates, and I lost titles on some. I took it one folder at a time, calling up two picture folders and setting them side by side. It was still a lot of back and forth and I eliminated for good, fuzzy and almost the same pictures. It was funny. I'd go back and forth till I figured out which picture was the best. I most likely spent way too much time doing that, but I want them good to go when I transfer them to a stick and back to E-drive.

Thanks Betty!
Sometimes I surprise myself when I get good pictures :o)

Thaks Happ!
I am ready for spring too, till I think of all the work I need to do. What I need is to make a to do list this winter.

Patti,
I slow down now, but I never used to sit down :o)
We put our garden hoses away too.
Nice gifting! Is the woodland phlox the blue divaricata that makes clouds of color in the spring?
Is it weeds sprouting in the lasagna bed? if so let them die in the cold.
Nice hair to save for the birds! I put cat hair in the compost can and feed the worms :o)
Life change is good! It's Zen!

Happ,
What an awesome DH to sleep with Slick and nose to nose cracked me up and gave me an awww.
OK? Oh man! The stone looks GOOD!
Isn't Will still doing a little training?

Thanks Brenda!
Going thru pictures was fun. I forgot about a lot of them and I took close-ups of things earlier this Fall. Just need to re-size and share.

I need to call the Dr. The rash I had in mid July is back and my right eye is swollen again. For the life of me I cannot figure out the trigger.

Zoe hasn't been eating again so DH took a flying trip to Muscatine to get the cat food they both ate before. Walmart has a bad habit of dropping brands and had dropped this one, ''Good Life'' after we had used a bag or two. Now they carry it again. GRRR!

Have a great day!

I had typed Betty when I meant Billy. Your photos are awesome.
Joyce, you are really talented, I think we all agree.
A lot of stores end up stopping sales of things we get to liking, it drives me mad.
Hope Slick is doing better today. I just can't imagine his confusion on the whole ordeal.
I bet Will is in "school"
our garden hoses are still out. no frost yet. a little chilly this am,, brrr!

Sally, I'm pretty sure it's the straw sprouting. I haven't noticed Walmart dropping that many brands, but Dillons (Kroger) well, it seems like they've taken my favorite brands over the years and replaced it with their storebrand. It's not the same stuff. (Sigh)

Last I knew, Will was driving the school bus. Maybe the kids kidnapped him? I could never do that job. I don't have the patience – I'm just old and cranky. LOL

I guess I'll find out about the Woodland phlox next spring. She didn't tell me. LOL Or, I could ask.

I grabbed the wrong package of cat food a few weeks ago. I had two noses stuck straight up in the air. I had cooked a roast the day before so I poured some of the broth over the food. They still weren't happy. Spoiled critters, they are. I have found that if I put about 5% of the nasty in with their normal food, they will eat it.

I hate rashes. I hope you and Dr can get it figured out.

Hi Brenda! How is it going up in your neck of the woods?

Joyce, of course I'm going to ask about Slick. I hate it when the babies get sick. And it's obvious that you are very worried. Thinking of you, DH and Slick. How is he doing today?Maybe you should duct tape that catheter in place. LOL at the sleeping nose to nose. Thanks for the update.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Sally, I grow Calico pole lima beans & have been saving the seeds for several years. Would you like me to mail you some? If so, send me a dmail.

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

I had dropped my phone (internet) in the toilet nov 6th I think, and it started working today. I am getting a new phone with the warranty i bot for $30.
I want a new phone, this one says
"safe mode" down in the corner, plus it now smells. When I made the claim it wasn't working at all.
Samsung makes a good phone, I thought this one was done after going in the water.

This message was edited Nov 9, 2015 9:38 PM

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Had a busy day at work today. Live Christmas trees came in yesterday and there were still quite a few that needed to be put up today so was doing that until I had to unload ice melt from a truck. I still have a few stray needles hiding on me in places though I dumped the worst of them from my shirts in the sink after I got home. lol

Oh Pepper Christmas tree needles are the worse, they make red spots on me if I get poked. Yuck can't imagine having them all over. I love Live trees, but hate getting poked. The white soft pines are nice. Nice day to get trees tho...lol it was so warm.

OMG Will sometimes there is too much info...lol

LOL Patti on using masking tape, we did last night, but didn't work, since he caught it on a table and just kept walking. He is urinating so we called the vet this morning and Vet Porsche is going to check him later and make sure everything is being eliminated. If soo we are home clear. Fingers crossed. Slick is just happy to have the stupid collar off. I was constantly cleaning and drying that collar. Bassets slobbery when drinking and their ears get in water and food, it was horrible. Thank you all for listening to me....

BillyP, I have been looking at software to help with some of the bad photos I have. Either I have taken or old ones that have been damaged. We use to have photoshop where I worked and it is wonderful but expensive. Now you pay monthly for it. I have an old version on an old laptop from work so I will probably use it.

It wasn't warm this morning!! LOL. I had to be at work at 6am and it was cold. Then I had to quit with the trees and do the truck so that made me a bit cold too even though the sun was shining. LOL

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Haha! Maybe so! Okay, I'll edit out the not-a curse word! Lol

poor Pepper! I don't know how you do all that stuff anyway, let alone be doing it in the cold. Pine needles yuk.
Joyce, so glad Slick is kinda normal. Crossing my fingers for a good report from the dr.
Will, you are a hoot. I'm glad you are getting a new phone, tho, it will be less germy for you.
Patti, next time I see you and Tucker I'll take a picture to show the gang.
BillyP, I use Irfanview for photo editing it is free and easy. the updates are free as well. It has a 5 star rating, I have used it for over ten years now.

http://www.irfanview.com/

Joyce,, you would love it too. so very easy to organize.
Betty, I have never heard of Calico Lima bean until tonight. I love learning something everyday. Thanks!
Hi Brenda, I'm Debra, nice to meet you.
BillyP, I keep calling you Billy, so I guess you are Sally?
LOL

This message was edited Nov 10, 2015 12:15 AM

Now I think this is freaky and I don't like it but my scanner has face recognition software on it, so it will scan you images and put them in folders according to face recognition....freaky don't like it a bit.

Thanks for the infor Debra I will have to check it out. Only problem with free is I am always curious how much information they are taking from me for free... ? Course that is probably true for the software I pay for.

Oh Pepper how horrible, no yesterday morning as well as this morning are NOT warm. I thought maybe you were moving Christmas trees when we were around 65.

Well I am going to be backing working on my stone again today, I found a red table for the coca cola one I am going to do and I have a present to do for the Christmas swap I am in and lots of online training for H&R...ugh! Only good thing I get paid for that.

Morning everyone! Jamie's coming today. Poor guy gets to finish hanging the drapes upstairs. LOL when that's done, we are going outside. I still have stuff to do out there.

Debra, let me know when I can/should pick up. Now that I know that I can't miss my exit…

Tucker would love another ride, although last weeks event was more like a road trip. LOL

I didn't even think about a used CD store. I just ordered Santanas Abraxas for my autistic brother. He seems to have the song "black magic woman" running in a loop in his head. Every time I see him he asks me to buy it for him.

Joyce, facial recognition program on a scanner is creepy.

Pepper, I did a double take when I read about you unloading Christmas trees. Some part of my mind still thinks we are back in Early October – probably because of our unseasonably warm weather. I don't envy you that job. I do love the smell of pine trees.

Will, Will, Will. I'm just sitting here shaking my head over your next to last post. We don't need to mention it again. ROTFL

I better get the animals fed before Jamie arrives. Have a great day everyone!

SLICK IS WELL!!! So excited and Porsche vet didn't charge us and he did an MRI !!!! Told DH are you sure they aren't just putting it on your credit card... oh well important thing SLICK is well.

Have 3 more pieces of glass to put in the stone and it is done, well the first part. Need to figure out what color grout...open to suggestions, maybe grey?

Good thing you are getting done with those drapes befor Jamie loses all his since of manlyness...rofl.

Tomorrow has to be planting, I have put this off way to long. Hopefully can get it done before severe weather and the cold front hits.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

RIP Mr. Beans. Nicole discovered that he passed away earlier today. We saw it coming. He was slowing down and losing his appetite. Now I have to tell Chloe. Beanie was her pet.

Thumbnail by greenbrain

Aww..sorry to hear about him. :~(

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Thank you Amanda. He is now buried in a corner of my garden with his fav purple stuff bunny wrapped in his own little blankie. Chloe took a rabbit statue from my rose garden and placed it at the head of on his grave. I covered it with pine straw and placed 2 decorative square pavers on his grave. Very nice memorial to my snugly little manure donor.

ohhh I'm sorry Betty. Give Chloe a hug from us all. I know Mr Beans will be missed.

Oh so sorry to hear about bunny. What a cute little guy. Poor Chloe. Sounds like he has a very special spot in the yard.

Joyce, what wonderful news for Slick, you, DH and the credit card! I've been so worried about him.

Jamie is a good sport. He did finish the drapes and boy, is he glad of it! Then we went outside. I think he was wishing he was back in the house, dancing with the drapes. We ended up cramming one-half of the garage full of yard/ gardening stuff.

Betty, tears filled my eyes as I was reading about Mr. Bean and his favorite purple stuffed bunny and blankie. I hope my final resting spot is as lovely as his. I'm sure he will be missed.

I have always wanted a French lop eared rabbit. When I learned that people have them as pets in the house, my imagination went into overdrive. Now that I have these two darling demons, I don't know if that would be a viable option. Tucker would be fine.

I have been up for hours and haven't done anything except feed the critters. It's time for me to get moving. I discovered yesterday that the battery of my garage door opener needs to be replaced. I am hoping Walgreens has one of these weird, round, oversized batteries. Later!

When I was young we lived in an apartment (Mom was a divorced) but for some odd reason we had a BIG white rabbit, I named Liberace and we watched Liberace on tv on Saturdays in front of my toy piano...lol I ask my older sister some time back why in the world did we have a rabbit but she didnt know. One of those questions I wish I would of ask my Mom...lol Cats and rabbits wouldnt work very well.

I have been out planting the rest of the stuff or atleast burying it and hoping it overwinters in pots. I got alot done. It is beautiful out but we are suppose to have bad storms. Oh we are under a tornado watch and high winds warning...geehz. Looks like all you in KC are in the watches!

I think my furniture would be in better shape if I would've gotten a rabbit rather than two cats with claws.

The Wichita airport just registered a wind gust of 49 mph. And I have to get out in it to go to the store.

OKAY, I AM GLAD TO BE IN ONE PIECE, THE SERVICE DOOR WAS SLAMMED SHUT AFTER I WAS HALF WAY IN.. BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!

OMG! Debra that is horrifying! You are so lucky.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Thank you all for your kind words about Mr. Beans. I hope you all stay safe with the turbulent weather upon us. Not too bad here right now. Worst stuff went north and south of St. Louis area so far.

I received a seed catalog yesterday. HPS. Never heard of them.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

HPS is one of the many owned by Jung Seeds.

Storm is here, getting lots of rain.

No rain here today that I know of but the winds is nuts! Still under tornado watch though not sure why since storms have moved on, and of course the high wind warnings.

Debra, please tell me that you're really OK.

i'M OKAY, Patti, just got a BRUISE ON MY side rib, I am so freaking cold already! i'M OKAY i PROMISE, BUT IT IS REALLY DANGEROUSLY WINDY HERE RIGHT NOW.

Duplicate post

This message was edited Nov 11, 2015 6:50 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.