November-Getting Ready for the Holidays

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Seemed like when I was in home depot they had some also. I wasn't looking just remember seeing the boxes lined up by the front door. Pepper any comments?

Well I am a happcamper I just went out and the metals released from the thinset sooo easy! It has nice edges where the metal was against it. I have some scraggly stuff up above but I will sand that off and I think it will look ok. Now to grout it...so excited.

My house smells so good I am making chicken and noodles for the master gardeners pot luck and a roast in the crock pot for dh. Now I am not a cook but why do they tell you to make broth, throw everything away, and then take the broth and put almost the same stuff in it and cook it again and that time add the noodles?

Trying to think of a desert of some kind. Now I can bake and love to bake just don't do much cooking altho I love to eat.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I'm behind again...

We had a really nice dinner at the Catholic Church hall Sunday. Dad's oldest sister and her two daughters came. She's 90 years old and looks good for her age! Her daughters are a few years older than me, but always liked to garden, so w e talked about that for a while.

The grand-kids had a great time this weekend and no one fought :o)

Two had a cough, but mercifully it stopped when they slept. I am fighting sinus. I feel it trying to get me.

I took Window's 10 last month. It took 3 hours to download. Today I had updates and it like, re-loaded again. Another 3 hours.... Meanwhile I made three squash pies and we ate half of one already. I cut back on the sugar and all the spices.

Our wonderful rain seems to have passed thru already. I'm bummed. It was supposed to rain all day and into tonight. I guess it's going to rain tomorrow now. I'll take it!

Have a good evening!

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

I tried Menard's for the allium bulbs too, to no avail. Good thought!

billyp - I was wondering about you. Take care of the sinus issue.

I can smell the noodles and the roast! It always makes a house a home when something yummy is cooking/baking ~ and permeating the air.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

We have a whole bunch of bulbs by our front door for half off right now. I know there are a lot of tulips and daffs, haven't looked lately to remember what else.

I thought you might there Pep. Maybe I will go by tomorrow.

Our Christmas party was really nice, lots of food...wow The white elephant exchange was a success.

No real rain here either, so disappointed. I have had a headache so bad, which I sometimes I do when the pressures are changing. The least that could happen is to get rain. Yep them little kiddos are just little germ factories. lol. and you just have to kiss them...or visa versa.

Started raining last night and has no intention of stopping anytime soon. lol

Yeap Pep I heard it last night start up with some thunder and lightening. Still raining, went to bed early so I am up early....geehz.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Brenda,
I've been using the MyPur mister and so far I am holding my own. This morning I tried hot water and lemon juice. It's supposed to be a good detox. I already had coffee, but any effort, right :o)
Oh, I love noodles and roast!

Pepper,
If I was a fall planter I'd go for the bulbs. MY neighbor planted about 800 so I will enjoy her's over the years :o)

Happ,
It sounds like a great party!
I hope you get rid of your headache. MIne usually mean sinus or the dreaded crud.

It was raining when I got up and it's still at it. We are going to get it all day. I'm so happy!

Yesterday I made three squash pies using Libbie's pumpkin pie recipe. I cut back the sugar and spices by a quarter for each pie. That was just right. One pie is almost gone :o)

Have a great day!!

Ju,
You OK?

And where did Badcat go?

I do have alliums. 3 different varieties. I don't really have any good spots for bulbs anymore. I tried a few different ones over the years like alliums and they didn't like my yard. I only had maybe 3 survive and I haven't seen them clump up. But I have a lot of bulbs and they aren't moving fast yet. lol

I have a huge bag of daffs to get in the ground. Thought I would do it today since we finally got rain and I can dig without breaking the shovel...lol The winds are howling. Last night it was clear out and beautiful, then I wake up to dark dreary and windy... ;(

Going to another Christmas party tomorrow with the Lathrop Garden Club. It is also pot luck, bring a gift, and can goods for the pantry. Our arms will be full...lol Think I will make a present today and make refrigerated mashed potatoes to throw in a crock pot to take.

Ran errands yesterday. Spent alot of money but can't say I had fun...

Friday and Saturday there are two craft shows, one at Oak Park High School which is good and it is big, and then in Independence the craft show at sermon center (some years it is great and others not so much). I don't know where all these folks get their imagination. Now pinterest gives me mine...lol

Stay warm Pep.

BillyP hope you get well soon. Nope I am not sick, rain stopped and no headache, very odd. Think I need a release hole drilled in my head so the pressure can equalize, kind of like a whale with a blow hole...lol

I am holding off on Windows 10 for a bit more. Sure don't want to mess up my computer. Surely by the first of the year they will have the majority of the bugs out and the updates completed.

Trees came in yesterday while it was raining but we couldn't unload them. For us to do it we have to use the picker which raises us up but our machine runs on battery so can't be out in the weather. The only other way to do it is for the driver to climb up the truck to the top of the pile and toss them down.

Driver refused to do it and finally after him and my manager talking to dispatch he still wouldn't do it. Just before I left for the day I found out he would be in early today and he will be required by his bosses to help unload them. I'm off today and going the opposite direction so I'll find out tomorrow how it went.

Oh did I mention he was in shorts and flip flops? He was.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Sally, I hope by now you are feeling better.
jOYCE, YOU ARE SO BUSY! HOW DO YOU FIND TIME TO gARDEN? dang caps lock..
That potato salad sounds really yummy.
I will NOT bet trying windows 10 anytime soon. I know a lot of people have it, and they have problems, my IT guys says don't do it, yet.
Amanda, please stay warm and healthy, hope your day off is fantastic. That Driver is probably going to get sick this year.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Pepper,
The only alliums I ever had were the free ones and I'm glad they're gone. I would like to try the tall deep purple ones sometime.

Happ,
I too waited for the rains to weed and now it's too wet. If you have to, dig a wide hole, throw them all in and move them next year.
I'd like a hole drilled in my nose. Luckily the pressure is slight, but I know the feeling.

Pepper,
If he can't do his job without acting like that, there's always someone else who would.
Laughing, well he dressed wrong for the job!

Debra,
I really haven't had any problems with Windows 10 yet. I will say Windows 7 was much more user friendly. I don't understand why they changed it.

I got the vacuum out this morning and vacuumed along the top and bottom of each room, then vacuumed all the floors. Slowly preparing for Thanksgiving :o)

It was so nice this morning then we had a downpour and the cold winds set in. I'm happy to be in.

Have a nice warm night and a good supper :o)

(Patti) Wichita, KS(Zone 6b)

Sorry I've been quiet… Been sick with a bad cold.

Haven't read but will try to do that soon. Here's a middle of the night question. This came from the RU. The pot it's in is marked coleus. I don't believe it. Can someone please tell me what this is so I can put it in the right type of soil when I repot. Thank you!

Thumbnail by Tuckersmom
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Patti,
I'm fighting sinus and everyday it wins a little :o(

Grocery day and I am so ready. We just got milk and bread last week and don't really need a lot today, but do need the refrigerator stuff.

It's a big change in the weather with a cold wind and snow this weekend!

Stay warm!

can't really tell but if the pot says coleus and has something else in it, then it's prolly from me, it looks to be either chinese white lilac or a goji berry.

Are you trying to confuse me, Debra? LOL.

This does not look like the Chinese Lilac you gave me – if I marked it correctly. The one that is planted in the ground is bushier - looks more like a shrub, a very tiny shrub. :-)

I will look up goji berry. Thanks!

I don't want it to be cold!!! I was really liking the 70, 60, even 50...

Oh sorry you both are sick. Yuck. Mine stopped as soon as the rain did.

We had the other garden club Christmas, now there were 24 people so 24 separate food dishes! Except some people brought 2!! OMG it was so good.
So I got a brilliant idea yesterday, I found a pattern for a Christmas wreath that would cost almost nothing and was beautiful on the internet, should only take about 2 1/2 hours to make...lol Well it was beautiful, and it was really cheap to make, but it took me about 5 hours...or longer. It was easy but very time consuming. I hot glued 350 coffee filters onto a wreath. Actually it was a pipe insulator..lol I didn't have a wreath. Since I was giving it as a gift I decided to finish the back by cutting up old Christmas cards and gluing them on the back so at least it look finished. Use coffee filters from dollar general they are thinner and seems to be more ruffled on the ends. I barely have 5.00 in the wreath. Wish I would of taken a picture but I forgot. Just allow alot of time, course mine was alot bigger than the one in the article. Oh yeah you could dye the filters another color if you wanted..lol but the white is beautiful.

http://www.diybeautify.com/2015/11/make-coffee-filter-wreath-easy-tutorial.html

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

30°/41°/29°
Relative Humidity: 63%
Today...Cloudy until late afternoon...Then light rain possibly mixed with snow. Little or no snow accumulation. Southwest wind around 5 mph shifting to the east 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation 70 percent.
Tonight...Blustery...Snow. Snow accumulation of 6 to 10 inches. Northeast wind 15 to 25 mph. Gusts up to 30 mph after midnight. Chance of snow near 100 percent.

Happ,
Nothing finer than a lot of food to chose from, lol!
Oh my gosh! It's so beautiful! I couldn't imagine how it looked from your description. She will LOVE it!

I got on the treadmill yesterday and walked 1 and 1/2 miles. While I was warmed up, I walked another half a mile around my end of town. It was chilly and windy, but not bad. I had a stocking cap on, my hood up and tied and winter gloves.

I made myself order a couple of Christmas presents for the kids. I really hate ordering from catalogs, but sometimes they have the different things.

I'm still not sure we're getting all that snow.

Have a great day!

I'm pretty sure you will get all that snow. lol. I'll be in Iowa Sun and driving a rental car. Hopefully roads are clear so I don't have to upgrade to a suv. lol.

I saw Happ today in my neck of the woods. Pulled up next to me as I was walking back to my truck at Walmart. lol

I was so shocked to see you I couldn't think of your real name...rofl. I yelled Hey Pepper..lol I was with my friend Donna, and I am telling her to stop stop the car and she is going why why..lol You just never know where I will pop up... We had went to the Sermon Center craft show in Independence and then went to eat. That restaurant has the best homemade tenderloins and onion rings. I can't think of the name of it now. Seems like it is just initials...dang.

Well I did get some great Christmas presents for some good prices. I "adopted" a little girl for Christmas and found the cutest purse for 5.00 at the craft show for her. I also got one for my DGD.

It is raining here but still in the 40's. Hope the roads are ok tomorrow.

Me too, hope the roads are okay for all of us. That earthquake the other night, the blizzzards and the tornadoes, sheese!
Sounds like fun, Joyce, I can't wait to "bump" into any of you right now. I could just see and hear you when you saw Amanda . :)
Joanna is walking 2.7 miles to work and the same back and she lives in North Kansas city and walks thru a wooded area to the road. *sigh* and now, snow. Can't wait to see how she hangs this winter with the no driving thing.
I have adopted the two sisters to the north of me. The youngest will be 5 this coming week, she has battled cancer for three of her almost 5 years.
I give them things I'd give a Granddaughter. have no real experience at being a Grandmother.
I had lots of looking at and holding visits in the beginning of each childs life, , so far. I am glad the friends I have , are able to enjoy their young ones.
that being said, I have to add, I sure see lots of Excellent examples of how to be a perfect Grandmother.
I want to go shopping, but all I end up doing is coming home, eating supper, and sitting in that dang chair sorting seeds while sports is on. Claiming my alone time now, wide awake.

Thumbnail by joeswife
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Pepper and Happ,
That is so funny, but how awesome to meet up!

Happ,
I made tenderloins for dinner yesterday and boy were they good! If I eat out, I usually have to order one. All little girls like purses :o)

Debra,
Wow, that is quite a walk. I'd be worried about her.
That is SO sad about the little girl. Prayers going out for her to get well.
All you need is love and I'm sure you are one of the best ''grandma's'' around!
Pretty pepper.

And it's still snowing here :o)

Yesterday, i finally took a cold capsules and felt worse than I did before. I stayed awake to see it snow, around 5:30 pm, and then I went to bed. I was up a couple times and it was blowing, but we only got a few inches and it's going to melt anyway. Thankfully I don't have to do much today.

Have a healthy day!

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Hello all. Cool and rainy here. When the colder temps reach us, the sky is suppose to clear.

We finished packing our Operations Christmas Child shoe boxes and dropped them off this week at our local collection site. Our family did this for a few years and now have our church involved. We don't bother much buying family gifts. Our focus now is filling the shoe boxes. We start in July with school supplies.

I updated my seed inventory spreadsheet. I do this every fall. Mainly for veggies and herbs. I always have more than I realize. I also sort the seeds by viability, so I use up the old seeds first. This keeps me from over ordering and from planting seeds with a low germination rate because of age. I'm going to do some germination tests on some of the older seeds before I consider replacing them. I just don't like wasting time planting seeds that won't sprout.

Billy, I hope your cold passes before Thursday. Nobody likes to be sick on a major holiday.

Our kittens were shadow boxing this morning. It was so cute that I stayed hidden and just watched. lol

I have been in touch with a couple of no kill shelters to possibly foster the kittens until they can be adopted. One group is called Frisky Whiskers and they only do cat rescues. All their cats are in foster homes. We believe that our kittens are about 5 weeks old. 6 weeks at the most. We've had them since 10/30. They have been eating cat chow since last Sunday.

I have to bring all my house plants in from the sun porch today because our low for tonight is around 20 F. That means that my remaining warm weather veggies will be killed. I can't believe that they survived this long anyway.

I need to get busy with housework since I am expecting visitors on Thursday. I'm picking up a neighbor who went into a nursing home a few months ago. She is a few years younger than me, but has always been a heavy smoker and has copd requiring oxygen. She was staying with her sister who lives across the street. That didn't work out too well after her sister's boyfriend had a severe heart attack. I'm glad that she is an animal lover because we have a house full of pets right now.

I hope everyone has a safe and happy weekend and Thanksgiving; in case I don't get a chance to say that before Thursday.

Happ, it's PT's. Yep, great homemade food there and we go there occasionally to eat. lol

My sister texted me this morning and said the roads should be clear by tomorrow so we'll probably stick with the car instead of seeing if we can get a suv. lol

Wichita got a brushing of snow last night. It melted almost instantly because the weather has been so warm.

No snow in Derby, but the wind and cold is brutal here at work when the big garage doors open, and my tire light came on this am, and we have had 6 tire lights in service so far today :P
Betty, I would love to watch kittens shadow boxing! will you come down here and clean my house, too? ( JUST KIDDING) Have a great day , all of you.

We went ahead and upgraded to an suv today for the rental. Got an Explorer. I've been driving it and been shocking my mom with all the features on it. lol. I feel like I'm driving a brand new version of my old truck so I've been in hog heaven today. lol

fun times, then? YAY!

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

We just got some flurries and now the wind is strong, but no more precipitation. We've decided to get the puppy today, so we're heading up to my mom's as soon as her and Kenny return from Rural King. Maybe the kittens will accept Grace into their litter. lol My mom just called, so we're leaving now. I did get all the plants in from the sun porch.

Debra, my oldest daughter's bf's mom posted on facebook: "I'm holding an OCD meeting at my house. Not because I have it, but I'm hoping that my house will get cleaned." You made me think of her joke. lol

Everyone stay safe on the roads and warm. Going to pick up another "baby". Will post pics later.
: )

Iowa is still slick in some spots so that was the main reason for the upgrade. My dad finally took over driving this afternoon for the various errands we've had to run and he's had a heck of a time figuring out what buttons do what. We keep laughing at him over it. My nephew showed us though what the heated seats button looked like so we turned those on and my dad snuck it on my mom. Took her a few minutes to figure out why she was getting so warm there. LOL. Best part will be the remote start in the morning. Car is loaded so I'm not going outside to start it. I'm not used to the cold yet and leather takes a bit to warm up. lol

oh yeal baby, those heated seats and auto starting cars are the best. I don't have all that, maybe someday, tho. :) no snow here, but man it is cold!

Yeah it is cold!! I'm even gonna wear snow boots tomorrow to help keep my feet warm and dry in the snow.

Take pictures. I want to see where ya going, please. I can travel thru your posts with you. Every time I get up to do something, this Dog wakes up and follows me. Haven't had that happen for about three maybe four years now. He has been caught "marking" two spots, one on each side of the room, the couch and the loveseat have been claimed, along with the yelling of shock from Joe . LOL "I thought he was housebroke!" Joe says. I say, "He is, but he is still going to mark his spots." LOL I will be scrubbing all week, and if that is how I will get this house cleaned, so be it. I get to go to work all week. :P^

Oh love pics of baby animals, or animals in general. So you don't have homes for the baby kittens?

No snow here but cold. Went to a craft show and bought some more presents. I went to Michaels and they were having a huge sale, and I lucked out. My baby sister wanted a shadow box, I had made her one years ago and she wanted another. Well Micheals had a really nice one 50% off!! I was beginning to stress over all the things I needed to make so one thing off the list. whew! I need to get all these presents sorted and my list up to date for Black Friday. I stopped by Home Depot and priced hollow core doors, I am making my great nieces beds out of them and it is going to be cheaper than I had thought. Now just to get busy.

How fun driving around in a new car. Especially an suv. Have a great trip Pep. Glad for you that you are not working out in the cold.

Debra, wish your daughter would get her license. KC doesn't have great transit and walking in the cold winter is rough. She has made it this long tho so I guess she knows what is ahead. Guess need to look at all the money she is saving..lol. One cold rain shower and I would be so done.

Boy BillyP you have been suffering for along time now. You will get well by Turkey day and then get around everyone and catch it again ;) Hope not and do hope you get well by then. I did hear several people say oh so and so was suppose to help me but they went home sick or didn't come cause they were sick.

27 degrees here right now. burrrr.

Several years ago my old boss got a new suv it was July. He took me for a ride in the new car as we were going to overland park to the other division I thought my butt was warm and I looked down and both seats had the warmers on! Now it is July and about 98degrees. I asked him do you realize the seat warmers are on...lol He said Damn I thought these were the hottest leather seats he had ever owned. He had been driving around for about 2 weeks with them on...lol

LOL Joyce.. that is a funny story. I wish I had gone with you to Michael's, I just need to get out of here for awhile.
I am sure Joanna will tough it out just so she can say " see, I don't need to drive. . "
I told Jo we needed to get her a motorized bicycle. :D
Meanwhile, she will be the most best dressed in winter apparel and wearing turtlenecks *gasp* just like hr mother does, under all the other layers, heavy double socks, ( she will wear rain boots and carry her work shoes.) While looking like a frozen 'fashinesta' this girl is determined to do it her way.
I'm betting she gets a ride now and then from her roomie or some friend going her way.. they all live around each other there.
She does seem to make a lot of stops at the stores on her way home. She loves some store called SAVERS up there.

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Hi Sally! Oh yes, Samsung makes a real good phone. I thought this phone was back to normal so I canceled sending it back (I didn't want to be without a phone..lol).
Dry it in rice? No. I could only get the back cover off, I don't have a little Philips screwdriver. Boy, dg isn't mobile optimized or something, I just typed 2 lines that were behind their text "you may upload up to 5 photos" or some such. Yea, it stinks alright, especially when you take the back cover off. I won't get into the gross details of it's fall into the porta potty at my storage unit. Anyway, I might send it back afterall because it now has 3 things about it that aren't quite right. The wifi works good now and that's huge and it makes sending it back harder. Sorry for the late reply Sally, your a good fb friend too. Men's fingers were not designed for the mobile kybd. I'm always making typos or entering some key unexpectedly because of the sensitivity. I've unknowingly friended 2 people (strangers) on fb just from scrolling.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Betty,
I used to do spread sheets on all my seeds, but now I just lay them out and decide what I did and didn't like. I do write that down.
Awww, sweet little kitties!
Is your neighbor moving in with you or just staying for Thanksgiving?

Pepper,
We've had two Explorers and they are really nice vehicles!

Happ,
Is there any idea you have that you can't do? You are such an awesome crafter!

Debra,
I have to admire her determination, but I worry about anyone walking alone long distances. I watch too many crime shows. I hope she gets thru this and learns something.

Will,
Laughing! Dump that phone, if I may make a play on words! The smell alone should qualify. They charge you for everything, so they owe you one.
I can't even type on a keyboard without hitting two keys.
I think if a phone gets wet you seal it in a baggie of dry rice and it absorbs the moisture.

I am feeling better today. I wasn't sure yesterday, which way it was going to go. I laid in bed and watched TV after dinner and all afternoon and evening. Not usual for me! I felt ok, just didn't have any desire to do anything, or even be on the computer. So, I found the Syfi channel and watched mildly scary movies and about 2 hours of America's Top Model. Yes, I know, but I needed what I call ''brain dead'' programming, lol!

We had about 7'' of snow and then it got cold. I won't be making many trips out today. I do need to dump garbage on the compost pile so I'll get some fresh air. I'm looking forward to it.

Have a great Sunday all!

lol on brain dead shows, I have a couple one is Castle, don't know why I like it, sort of stupid, cutesy, but that is my brain dead show...lol
Glad you are feeling better Billyp. Hope Pep is safe and having fun.

Rice will dry out almost anything if it is sealed in there with it. You are so funny Will.

There are lots of things I can't do but not much I wont try first...lol DH can do anything and I figured if he can do it I can do it...lol Only problem I don't have all the muscle ;(

I LOVE SAVERS, I get so much stuff there. Glad I don't live any closer or I would go everyday. She must go to the new big one, I go to the one in Liberty.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.