September-Preparing for Fall

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Everyone has been busy busy on their Labor Day holiday. I have a friend that has built a hunting cabin (looks like a nice house to me but I don't live in Dallas...lol) and wants to plant native flowers all over. So I have been doing some research on where to get seeds and how to get started. They will not live there full time so everything has to survive on their own. This should be interesting. They had other friends over and we bbq and had a great time. I fixed deviled eggs and if anyone has tried to PEEL a fresh egg you know how hard it is, but I wondered onto something that seem to help. I cracked the big end because that is where there will be an air pocket if you are lucky. Fresh eggs don't have a huge air pocket ) Then I took a small spoon and turned it upside down and got the spoon under the skin of the shell and just slowly kept pushing, much easier than my fingers and usually came off in bigger sheets and didn't tear up the egg. Now I usually put jalapenos in my deviled eggs but was afraid alot of them wouldnt like it so I just did a few. Wow they were gone in a snap! lol

rained a bit yesterday up here, then rained about 11pm and this am pretty cloudy and the porch is wet. I might be able to pull some weeds...lol ground was so hard before they just wouldn't come out.

I don't have bird feeders up but the finches have been ALL over the coneflower heads.

With the price of ink it is almost cheaper to buy a new printer to get the free ink. DH bought me a printer for Christmas, bless his heart, only problem it has a XL black a normal size black and a grey, along with the other colors. When you buy the combination pack which is cheaper, it doesn't come with grey or the XL black....geehz. Lesson learned. Oh yeah and it won't print without all of them.

Patti not sure in trash bags what will happen without oxygen going on, sounds like it might get slimmy. Maybe poke some holes? I would do like BillyP said and just stick them in the lasagna garden.

Well have class today on some other tax subject, can't even think what it is...rofl.

(Patti) Wichita, KS(Zone 6b)

Joyce, I do know you have to have air holes and, I think, you add a skosh of water to it. I'm not sure about the water; like I said, I need to do more research. But now that I've decided to do a L-bed, the leaves can get dumped right on top, along with all the other stuff. That certainly takes care of the "where am I going to store this?" problem.

Good luck with your class today.

Sally, apples! I love apple pie. One of my favorites. If I had more room in my yard, I would plant a Peach tree. We have the climate for it and, Years ago, had miles of peach orchards south of Wichita. I don't know that a single one remains. When I was a tyke, mom and her sister would go out and pick them right off the trees, coming home with a couple bushels of peaches. Yum.

I have had to choose between birdseed and stuff (including seed) for the garden. The garden won.

Ju, where are you? Are you still making planters?

Will, now that the holiday is out-of-the-way, I'll bet you hear something. It sounds like you're in a hurry up and wait holding pattern too.

They will be out in the morning to fix the garage door. I won't be buying birdseed this month.

Jamie won't be coming today. It is too wet. I was also supposed to get the gutters cleaned today. I'm beginning to think nature is conspiring against my preparing for Fall. LOL

I'm going to go do more you-tubing. So many answers there, but so much diversion too.

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Thanks Sally. Yes bp, a lot gets mowed down, there is over 2 acres to mow and they don't look real close, especially when something is covered up with weeds.
Yes, tucker, they are like many industries that hire. I've even read reviews about it.
They are willing to mislead applicants in order to make sure their seats are metaphorically filled. I've even been sent bus ticket confirmation numbers twice in email to the training school (only to have them cancel and say the class is full). I don't get mad (although obviously disappointed). I'll go eventually, (in the meantime I'll just work my glorious temp job I suppose).

This message was edited Sep 8, 2015 11:25 PM

Oh Will, what a crappy thing for them to do. I do believe in karma. Sometimes, it's what gets me through the day. And then there are days, when I'm really feeling sorry for myself, when I sit here and think, "the funnest thing I did today was clean the cat box.". But I think you and I both are the kind who don't stay down long. After all, what's the point? I know the right job is going to come to you at the right time. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.
Patti

Yeah, pretty crappy, Patti. I had washed clothes and borrowed a suitcase and told people and everything, this happened twice. I'm not telling anybody when I'm leaving anymore..lol
Yeah.. karma will catch up with them, they'll regret their practices when the word gets out more.
That industry also isn't hurting financially, so they can afford to do that.
I've been canceled, (not job applications..lol) 10 to 15 times this year, it gets old but you just have to keep going I guess! It's not me, they just have enuff people to hire.
How about this Ground-Hog?! A squirrel was running from it when I saw it. It was comical, I watched it for about 30 minutes. I'm surprised the pic turned out so good, I had to zoom all the way. I didn't know they climbed, but this sucker climbed trees good.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

What great pics Will, My dog Sam the lab was chasing one, I didn't know what it was at first. I called Sam off and the ground hog went back into the corn. Sam wasn't barking or anything I think he just wanted to know what it was, the ground hog didn't want to let Sam find out...lol Course Sam weighs 140 lbs! rofl.

It was cloudy all day here, but not overly cool. We had a little bit of rain. Our pears are SO good, it is amazing how sweet and juicy they are.

Patti that is so cool you met your neighbors and found friends who garden! Any time I have ever talked to anyone about their flowers they have been so nice and generous.

Will that is like those package sorter positions, they must interview 30,000 people who never get hired for what ever reason.

I pulled about 3 weeds, sprayed some poison ivy (I have a ton of it for some reason) and then worked on a stained glass ornament. Our master gardener group decided to decorate a tree for the Festival and we are going to do it gardening attire. I have been collecting old birds nest and I will make about 3 or 4 ornaments.

I went out this morning with Tucker because I saw something laying on the ground and knew that he would, in all likelihood, step on it.

Thumbnail by Tuckersmom Thumbnail by Tuckersmom

Thanks Joyce, yeah, Ground-Hogs are interesting creatures! That little, flat head and fat body!
I think the recent rains are bringing up grubs and worms in some places for them, maybe.

Yeah, I've worked those package handler positions twice at fedex, that kind of work will kill you!
I had an offer about a week ago to do that again (for more money than I make now), I said no way. I only did it for about 3 hours a day before, I unloaded 3 tractor trailers of packages in that time. I couldn't imagine doing that for 8 hours a day!

Pretty Monarch Butterfly, Patti.

Having never seen a groundhog in person, I always thought of them as some sort of mythical creature.

I wouldn't have seen that one but I was staring out the window like an imbecile (for ex. the movie Slingblade..lol)! It ran out or I wouldn't have seen it, they're motionless for minutes at a time.
Hehe.. yeah they're real! I used to think Brown Recluse spiders were mythical until I got bit by one!

Patti can you imagine the destruction they can do. Moles and voles are bad enough. Going to southern missouri a couple of weeks ago and we saw several armadillos dead along the side of the road. That is another animal that is really destructive.

Played outside for the biggest part of the day but right now it feels like it is heating up quite a bit. Came in to cool down.

Pepsi has made a change to diet pepsi and I don't like it so I am trying to switch to tea....I don't like it either...rofl. I don't mind it really weak but dh likes it stronger. I took about 24 small bottles of water and made small bottles of tea. I am sure I will start liking it and be fine, but right now I am whining!..lol Miss the bubbles.

Fresh made apple pie wow sounds wonderful. I saw some apple cookie recipe this morning and they looked amazing. Wonder if I can find it.

That one certainly looks a lot larger than any mole I've ever seen. Will, he being there with you please is just perfect.

We are about 15° cooler than we were two days ago, but the humidity is really bothering me. Jamie is coming over in the morning hopefully. It rained yesterday so we were rained out. I sure hope it's cooler tomorrow.

I like iced tea. I have to be in the mood for hot tea, but then – with honey and lemon – it's good.

Will, I kept thinking, "Sling Blade, Sling Blade. What is he talking about?". Then I realized I was thinking about Blade Runner. No wonder there was a disconnect. LOL I will have to call my brother and have him refresh my memory ar I will have to call my brother and have him refresh my memory re: sling blade. He will know.

Will, that's another thing tablets do. They start repeating your sentences, in the middle of a sentence, for no reason.

I read the synopsis and think I missed that one. I'll have to see if it's on Netflix. Prolly not.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Happ, get sparkling flavored water or get the soda stream maker. Then you have your bubbles back. LOL!

Armadillos are all over southeastern Ks now. Makes me wonder just how far down the road they are.

Just a matter of getting use to the water being flat...lol.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

How do I get so far behind. I read everything and you know my comments, LOL!

I tore out the pole beans and need to rake and pick up rotted apples that hid in there. Haven't found time to do it yet. I get to start picking the bush beans that I planted late. Suddenly they popped on and grew! I should have just picked them last night, but you have to call it quits eventually.

DH and Dad got Dad's steel roof on so that is done. Meanwhile, I gathered things we'll need to do apples and took them to the garage. We'll do apples this afternoon.

We're in a cool spell now so the twins will get to play outside. I have bubble stuff left over and a big ball. They can go to the park too.

Have a great day!

No sir, or make that no ma'am, I don't know your comments. You are always popping up with stuff that surprises me – and broadens my education. Fires, fried green tomatoes, tomato pie,.. I rest my case.

Jamie will be here afterwhile so I have to get moving. I just had a crash in the bathroom. The last I knew I had two kittens playing in the tub. I'm thinking the shower curtain just came down. Mynx prolly wanted to practice her climbing skills this morning.

Have a great day everyone!
Patti

Sure is quiet.

I just put a sweater on. I have a fan in the window to cool my house off and – I got cold.

Jamie didn't come Thursday. The friend who told me about Jamie initially ended up needing him. That's what friends are for – to do the big swap around. This is the lady who is going to give me the forsythia bush and a number of other plants, including the Japanese anemone. Maybe we can get those transplanted next Tuesday.

The big stump has finally been ground up. I attempted to pull into my driveway about 5:15 this evening and couldn't because there was a huge truck in the way. LOL that was supposed to have been done the day they took the tree down – a week ago last Wednesday. Unbeknownst to me, they had subcontracted the grinding work out to another company. Well, I guess they fired this subcontractor and they came and did it themselves. There is now a pretty good pile of wood mulch out there. I wish it were mine, but it's not. It is sitting in Fran's yard and I won't have to deal with it – or the now nonexistent tree anymore.

I did get the garage door fixed. I was expecting quite a hit in the wallet, but it really wasn't bad. And now I can put my car in the garage so it's in the shade. LOL

It's only 9:30 but I think of the blanket on the bed and go sleep. I've been going all day. It would've been a perfect day to work in the yard, but it just wasn't in the cards. Night all.
Patti

At work doing my temp job in the middle of the nite. Boy Patti, don't mention a blanket, I might go to sleep..lol
Yeah, sure is quiet!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Morning all. I have been on vacation not really doing much day trips have been fun. We went to Allen Mi. It is suppose to be the antique capitol of Mi. Well it was okay. Still all the same stuff at other places we have seen. Not really "antiquers" as per say. We just like to look and see what we can find. I have bought a really cool old watering can and a galvanized bucket. I use them all the time, I got a really neat whirly gig. Amung other finds. Just really fun to look for nostalgic reasons. Been to flea markets and going to the wine and harvest fest today in Paw Paw Mi. Hoping to try a few wines. rofl. I like the sweeter white and pinks. Going to be a pretty chilly day so I get to wear a nice sweatshirt. Yeah. Free music of course is why the hubby likes to go.
Patti you are a busy lady. I am loving hearing about all your garden plans. The excitement in your posts are so energizing. I have done quit a bit of moving around stuff myself. Really been enjoying it also. This time however I really am thinking of where I am placing things in the yard. So many times I have made big boo boos. Way to close together and somethings that just take over.
Have a great weekend all. I have to return to work on Monday. Been enjoying my week off.

Well not all was quiet I posted a big ole thing yesterday with pictures but no where to be found :(

Glad you got your stump all taken care of. One more thing off the list!

GL sounds like you guys had fun digging thru stuff. I love doing that. I am collecting ole metal water cans, love things like that.

We sort of did the same thing yesterday GL. We drove up to BillyP's state of Iowa and went to a swap meet in Greenfield. The weather was amazing and we had a great time digging thru things. I bought an old wood pulley (I am using those to hang my flowers from on the porch), some old tiller tines, oh yeah a palm nut (rofl...just what everyone needs), and an old bakelite aqua radio with alarm (hopefully DH can fix it cause it is in perfect shape). DH bought several things for the old car he is redoing and was tickled pink at what he got them for.

Here is what I am going to do with some of the tiller tines and put it on the mailbox. Should be able to find my house...rofl.
2nd pic is of plant hanger old wooden pulley, I have three of them now, I need to buy some good type rope to make this look better, but is all I had at the time. Could hang two plants one from each side of the rope but too poor for that many hanging baskets...rofl. Would look way cool tho.
I stuck up that shelf above the door on the garden room Thursday before I went to class, I need to clean up the shelves so they look better but this is the general idea. I will probably make a wider longer shelf above the door and put them all up there for the summer, course will have to take them down before freezing weather. Wow something else to do before winter...rofl.

I am a slow learner but BillyP this time I put it in word so if it doesn't post I don't have to do this all over again.

Hope bunches of you are coming to the ru, may need to wear your snow suits...lol

Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden

The lawn got mowed and my gutters are getting cleaned as I sit here. Two more things off my list. I started pulling the morning glories down this morning and that little bit of action practically brought me to my knees. I left the man here cleaning the gutters and met that Doug (The Ex) at his office. He thinks my hip is possibly trying to come out of the socket and has suggested that I go back to my surgeon and have x-rays. Not what I wanted to hear. I only have four Flexeril and a couple painkillers left from when I had surgery a year ago. I guess I'll be making a call.

He also told me to stop bending over. How is a person supposed to conduct a life if you can't bend at the waist? I guess Doug expects me to give this Labrador his water in sippy cups. LOL
And the cats can learn to eat on the counter and the trash can build up 'til the cows come home.
I'm venting and I apologize.

I'm grateful that I can walk. TTYL

Wow that sounds horrible Patti, I sure feel for you. I would hate being stuck in a position like that. It is always WAY to easy to give advice especially if you have never walked in someone elses shoes as far as what they think someone else should do. Doctors are the worse.

Ok so it just dawned on me it is almost the middle of Sept....I am freaking, I have such a mess everywhere and nothing done. I don't have my spring list done yet...rofl. It seems as if all I ever do is move one mess to another spot....

So speaking of messes here is my new one! I must be nuts. I started on my entrance to my garden area. Now it is going to take alot of imagination to picture this so put on your special glasses (did you have romper room growing up on tv I think she had special glasses and could see me).

There will be two beams across the top painted white. All the stuff on the sides is helping to hold up the doors, I thought they would stand better on their own once I had the beam across the top but nope. The trick is getting the doors to stand up, while you climb the ladder with this beam and put it on top without knocking everything down, including yourself! DH would help but I like doing it myself and then I don't get any opinions until it is over...rofl. Those white trellis will not stay there I was trying to replicate what a fence to the shed or gardening bench and the other end to the house would look like. May need to push the doors back closer to the potting bench....

Oh yeah there must be 5 hummingbirds in my yard, bouncing between the red cannas, the red cypress vine (if you have never grown one it is beautiful), and the hardy hibiscus!

Thumbnail by happgarden

Sorry been quiet. Been busy with work and a coworker is dealing with a major life crisis right now. His daughter has just been diagnosed with a terminal illness and will only be expected to live 3-6 years. We've all been raising money to help with a wish list for her before it's too late. Here is the link to the go fund me page. http://www.gofundme.com/ut33mdwc

Patti, hope you don't have to have surgery again!! That would really suck.

I'm gonna start getting my plants in pots or cups or something tomorrow. lol. I'll make a post on the RU thread too but we need to start figuring out food and a general time.

Just got a call from the neighbor, Fran, inviting me to take half of the tree grindings. Jamie....
LOL. I sure wish I had him eight hours a week instead of only four, but I am very grateful for the four.

I took a long nap and feel better now, but still not normal. Ice is my friend. Another surgery would suck. If they didn't get it right the first time, I have very little faith that they would get it right the second time. I could be wrong. I hope I'm wrong.

Doesn't it just irk you when you lose your post. I am so glad you redid did yours, Joyce. I do believe it was Romper Room which required magical glasses. VBG I absolutely love what you are doing with your doors. When you're finished, you will have such a feeling of pride and accomplishment. You go girl! I hear you about too poor for so many hanging baskets. I will be winter sowing petunias and Violas. Potting mix, milk jugs and some seed. You should try it, Joyce. If you go into the Propagation Forum, at the very top there are stickies. Those should tell you all you need to know. Baskets of flowers hanging off your pulleys would be beautiful. If I ever get to your neck of the woods, I know I'll be able to find your house, without doubt. That looks great. I just clicked on your picture to see the shelf, and of course lost this post. I kept hitting the back button and found it again. Boy, did I luck out!

Pepper, I am so sorry to hear about your friend and their child. I can't even imagine.

Today was another cool day but they say it's going to start warming up, starting tomorrow. It's getting late and I'm getting hungry. Fed the Furkids a couple hours ago. They eat better than I do.

It is that time of the year when everyone is really busy! Oh how very sad for your coworker. I cant even imagine.

I am in hopes tomorrow to get alot done, it will be a tad warmer but beautiful. Yeap Pepper I need to get plants ready for the RU, my brother, and for the plant sale next spring, AND get everything planted that I still don't have planted and tagged...geehz.

Anyone heard from Betti?

Patti, glad you are feeling a little better. Wow hope you don't have to have another surgery. I will check out the forum on the seed starting. Has to be cheaper than buying them full grown from the farmers market.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Patti,
LOL! I guess I better try harder to keep up.
I'll bet not a kitten was to be seen when you went to look for the noise :o)
Oh wow, what a nice haul on shrubs! You will need Jamie for sure.
We had stumps ground quite a few years back and I did use it as mulch.
Yayy on the garage door!
Oh, I think a comfy bed is the best and I always sleep with a blanket year round. Always have.

Will,
What is your temp job?

Ronna,
I love nostalgic things too. I also had a galvanized watering can from home, but it sprung a leak and I gave it back. I found it was too heavy to use for watering, even in my stronger days. Same with the bucket.
I like wines with a bit of heat, and sweetness. It sounds like you have a great time.
My flower beds are all becoming overgrown. It's why I have tubs of phlox in the garden right now to go in another place. I just need time to do it.

Happ,
Seven counties to the East and one up, and there I would be, lol! I see it's not a huge place. Three times the size of my town. I'll bet it was nice to go to the swap.
Love what you are going to do and love old pulleys! It reminds me of watching Grandpa put up hay.
I love your shelf! It's a perfect way to display you cans, and what a nice collection!
I use notepad and have it saved to my desktop. That way, I never lose my posts. Usually about this time Dad comes and I only have a couple posts left to do, but need to shut down. It's the only way I do not lose what I've done, lol!

Patti,
Make the call before you do any real damage. The year is winding down and what's left to do outside will not matter so much. Your hip does. If you can't bend, then you do have a problem. Best to see what your surgeon says and plan around it. I'm sorry it's giving you trouble.

Happ,
It's just been a year like that for all of us. I have tons to do too. What will get done? I don't even know yet.
Magic glasses on. I think it's going to be a really neat entry, but if you need help, just ask DH and then tell him that was all you needed, lol!
I still have a hummer or two. They are leaving. I don't have many flowers left for them to eat so they need to move on.
Cypress vine is very beautiful! I still have very old seed from my great aunt. I helped her put twine on her garage one year to grow it up and I can't let the seed go.

Oh Pepper,
I am so very sorry for them. I can't imagine how they or that sweet little girl are going to handle it. Prayers going out.

Patti,
Nothing wrong a second opinion and trying a new surgeon... Sometimes I think they just do standard procedures without understanding your lifestyle. They should have done a more extensive surgery in the first place. That's my opinion anyway.

~ to Betty and Ju. I imagine both are just busy.

It was busy, but we survived the weekend.

We made 6 gallons of apple juice and I got it all canned. These were early apples ripe on the tree and drops. Some of the mix smells like cinnamon and the juice was really dark, but boy, is it good!

Friends borrowed my China cap to do tomatoes given to them. They were also given a lot of canning jars and canners from family giving it up. Later he brought me a big bag of green beans. They planted 3, 25' rows and were beaned out, lol! I canned two quart of my own first picking and 10 of theirs. DGD helped snap. DGS was still sleeping :o) Grandpa helped nip.

Needless to say we both slept in this morning.

I see DH has the ladder out and is picking peaches. They taste good this year, except a lot have rotten centers. Too much rain.

I better get up and get busy.

Have a quiet, beautiful Sunday.

Master and Miss Potato Head came to visit :o)

Me and the cider press. All but tow buckets held apples. Two were for garbage.

Thumbnail by billyporter Thumbnail by billyporter Thumbnail by billyporter Thumbnail by billyporter Thumbnail by billyporter
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

We also dug all the potatoes.

Thumbnail by billyporter Thumbnail by billyporter
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We checked our Sweet Potatoes. Time to dig. Dug 3 pails & sold most all of them yesterday.
Some other pictures of things for sale, too.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Last picture shows paring lot at the market, what a crowd!

Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens

Oh you guys the apple juice and everything sounds so GREAT. You have peaches coming on now, mine are all gone. ;( Mine were not very good this year either because of two months of rain. My pears are amazing tho, so sweet and juice just runs down your arm, me and the dog are trying to figure out who can eat the most. To think I was in your neighborhood...rofl. You have been a busy gal. Love Mr. Potato heads t-shirt, I say that all the time.

On hummingbirds I went to a class and they said to keep the feeders up until almost freezing. The birds will not stay here just because there is food, but sometimes there are stragglers coming late and they need all the food they can get. The class was really interesting. I don't have alot blooming now so I may put the feeders up.

CG those veggies look amazing. Next year (I say this every year..lol) I am going to grow more and better veggies. I did have good luck with spaghetti squash. DH kept feeding it to his chickens cause he found out they like it...geehz.

Well out to scrape and sand the wood for the doors and get some stuff planted. We are suppose to warm up later this week.

Next year I'm gonna try to get some straw bales or something like that to grow my potatoes in. Mine didn't any size to them this year so I'm leaving what's left in the ground. They'll come back next year. lol

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Bernie,
NICE sweet potatoes, broccoli and cauliflower! My Uncle got the family sweet potato planter. Dad talks about planting them, but never gets around to it.
How do you keep the cabbage moth off your broccoli?
You always have a wonderful looking selection to sell and it all looks delicious. You should post your potato washing operation for the new people here.

Happ,
He ended up with just three jars of peaches so they are in the fridge. It's a guessing game as to whether they will be any good inside when cleaning them. He did the work and I just made the syrup and jarred them up :o)
Make a medium syrup and can some of those pears. I envy you those!!
Yes, that's right. The stragglers need energy too. I do have false dragon head they can eat, but never put feeders up. My neighbor does.

Pepper,
We had pretty good luck with our potatoes. We grew Kennebeck, mostly because that is what was offered, lol! I like to grow russets too, but I am so done with red. They just scab.

I have about 6 pictures of these hummers just here and there not a bit concerned about me.
Here is one.

BillyP, family sweet potato planter are you talking about like a corn planter big ole thing?

I have one door sanded and both of the top pieces for my garden gate. My hand is tingling from the sander so waiting for it to stop...lol Who ever owned the doors before me must of had a dog and that is why the panes are missing. There are claw marks at the bottom of the door. I might wood putty those haven't decided if it is worth the trouble. One more door to go and then I will have to go see Pepper and get some paint... ;) Guess I will keep them white. Word of warning if you do this project and you want an easier time dont get doors with so many panes, cause they are a pain!

The second picture is of an air conditioner screen and it has a pretty stained glass insert. This is what I might do when I put my fence up.

Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We get "slips" from North Carolina. Basically a stick about 2 or 3 inches long. Just poke the root end in the ground & walk away. That was June 5th. Now they are ready, biggest so far was 3 lb 8 oz.

My temp job, bp? It's a printing company. I'm on second break, then bedtime!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.