September-Preparing for Fall

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Yeah, the price of gas is good ($1.99) in Independence, Mo. Too. i'm 30 miles from home, there it's $2.13 a gallon, I'll be filling up while I'm here! The only thing better is free wifi, which is what I'm getting in the McDonalds parking lot on my glorious $50 (walmart) tablet! I'm a cheapskate but maybe that's why I'm still alive!
Around July somebody on NPR (I think) said gas would be $2 a gal. by the end of summer, they were close!

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Been gone on a vacation with my baby sister and we had soooo much fun. Details later. I haven't read everything cause you know how you guys are....lol

GreenBrain, I AM SO DISAPPOINTED....you aren't going to make the RU? Oh I so love seeing you and everyone..... maybe something will work out and you can come...please please?

My tree peony is loaded with seeds, I collected them, but now what....lol. I am going to have to figure out maybe I can start them.

I need to start bringing things in. I think I just got that stuff out there.... ;( I am going to try a self watering system I saw on youtube. If it works this winter with my plants, I can take it outside and use it for the garden instead. I will post pics as I go. I so HATE watering. I have so many plants to overwinter I think I am going to plant several different kinds together so they take up less space. Probably asking for problems but what the heck. Never know until you try.
Gosh it was just June now it is just October.... ;(

Anxious to get back on my doors cause they gotta come out of the garden room so the plants can come in...geehz. I must be crazy starting so many projects.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Yep, you're crazy. LOL

I have a lot of projects right now too. 7 blueberry plants to go in and the tree hydrangea. This on top of work and remembering to get everything ready for the weekend. Luckily my hours are reasonable this week so I think I can get everything done. I already moved the bushes and a bag of compost down to the spot. lol. They're going where the daylilies were originally. Just gotta grab newspaper from downstairs tomorrow for a weed barrier.

Pepper, is that Arborvitae you gave me called 'Little giant'?

If it's all green and round then yes. If it has a gold tint it's the other one.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I will report moon was glorious. Still pretty much covered at 9:35 CDT.
Orange glow started just before it was fully covered. Now it is getting light back on the lower right, but still orange.
Sky was clear all day & now so far tonight.

Tomorrow we will start the potato harvest. I am going to put a bin in the cold storage area of the wood shop. I have white & red to dig.

Sweet potatoes a huge & also need to come out of the ground. Will be a busy week.

Still doing market, Tues, Thursday & Saturday.

I also watched it. Tried using telescope and the one lens I got to work were too close on it so couldn't see much. Then I tried binoculars and got nothing on them. lol. So bare eyes it was. Still gorgeous though.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

WOW Pepper!
That is low gas! Fill every vehicle and container you have!

Will,
Laughing, you got in on low gas prices too!
I'd take the free Wifi too.

Happ,
Oh, we are impossible to keep up with so just jump in with your life! So you have had a vacation! Sounds wonderful!
Yeah, crazy :o) You'll get it done tho. We all eventually get it done.

Pepper,
If the bushes are small you'll have them in in no time :o)

Bernie,
We were so cloudy I doubted I'd even see the moon, but it cleared up.

I gave up on the moon at 8:30 pm but since Charlie had a nap he continued. Neither of us got good pictures. I don't know what is wrong with my camera. It used to take good pictures :o(

I got 11 pints of green beans and almost all the flowers cut. The iris and daylilies will go fast. But the grassy weeds, ugh. It's funny to see into the neighbor's yard now. There's no privacy left for either of us.

Last night was the last night we'll sleep with windows open. We are going to cool off. I am so hoping it will rain. I'll mow today and try to get dirt mixed for the lily pots. I have to dig them sooner or later.

Have a great day!

Thumbnail by billyporter Thumbnail by billyporter Thumbnail by billyporter
Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Great MOON pixs and yaaahaa for 11 pts of gr bns and wooohooo, billyp you have been going like a house a fire with all your fall gardens clean up.

Since everyone except Debra is from the KC area we could have the RU here. Not nearly as much driving for Debra....

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Digging potatoes today.
6 rows done out of 9 rows. Bin is already full.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens

I never thought about that, good point Joyce. Bothwell Lodge is a neat old place and a LOT of flowers. I'm good either way, I drive a small car.

I just thought since we are all here, didn't want to waste the time driving. Don't matter to me. Just a thought.

Ok vacation, boy did I have fun. My little sister and I went together on what started as a leisurely drive to Arkansas to visit our brother. We left Independence about 8:30. We stopped at Osceola to the cheese store. You HAVE to do that...lol Drove into Springfield and had a great lunch then headed over to Mansfield MO my little sister wanted to visit the Laura Ingler Wilder, home. Laura wrote the Little House on the Prairie books and that is what the tv show was based after. There were actually two homes and a museum. It was very nice and very interesting. Then from there it was off to Arkansas, hills and valleys, until we hit the flat lands going into Pocahontas and Jonesboro Arkansas. The next day we went into Memphis, and yes we toured Elvis Presley's home. OMG I was dumb founded on the amount of people from overseas there!!! More international than national travelers.

After the tour we went to the Rock & Roll Cafe just down from Elvis Mansion. They have a tribute to Elivs and this kid was so good. He sings I think on Wed-Thur-Fri-Sat evenings. He did 60 songs!! and did them well. It was a bar but felt more like a neighbor hood bar. There were little kids there and everyone was up on the dance floor with or without partners. It was sooo much fun. Everyone I met there were from some other country again. A young girl sitting at the table beside me was from Canada, it was her dream to come down and see his house. Altho Elvis was long gone before she was born she just loved his music. There were people from Canada, France, GBritian, and a 90 year old woman from Brazil! Oh yeah Sweden and that was just a few of the people I met. There wasn't a cover charge and they serve food and beer, don't remember seeing many mixed drinks. I would highly recommend it. We had so much fun.

Then Sunday.....my brother took us to a wrestling match that he was the ring narrator, that was an OMG moment. My little sister did NOT enjoy that at all...lol It was held in a warehouse, very odd...lol

Monday we headed to Branson leisurely. Just stopping here and there. We didn't do anything Monday night, just rested. Tuesday we went on the Belle Cruise and had a great time, it was a new show since I was on the boat but was really good. I had gotten us tickets for the Legends, this is where they are suppose to imitate the star. It was not good! Jerry Lee Lewis imitator was good but not great, Patsy Cline was better, then Aretha Franklin I thought was good voice wise and last but not least Elvis...rofl. Which was a great disappointment. He sang maybe 3 songs and never moved.....now how do you imitate Elvis and not move....the guy Saturday night was hands down so much better. Then Wed and Thur we spent at Silver Dollar City....we rode every roller coaster but 2. One I read about on Wed night and no way, the two we went on Wednesday were scary enough! lol.

Hint if you go to Silver Dollar City you can get a second day for 5.00. You have to call an 800 number to get the tickets but well worth it. Silver Dollar City Admissions will give you the phone number but won't sell the tickets....strange. Also since we were there 2 days we bought the cup you can get refilled for 1.69, refills were high enough but a drink each time would of broke me.

First time my sister and I had been together for so long except when we were kids. We had so much fun. We didn't grow up together so much as I was 7 years older and at 19 I started moving around the country, North Carolina, Colorado, and Texas. So I wasn't even here except for a few days every Christmas. So glad we did it.

This is probably worse vacation photos...rofl.
1. Elvis tribute singer in Memphis
2. wrestling
3. silver dollar city show

Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden

I'm all for that too. I'll make a post in the thread.

The moon tonite was still good. I think the super part and the blood part are still going. Just not the eclipse part and it might not be quite full.
I know this plant is just a weed but there were Butterflies and bees all over it.
Nice vacation, happ. I'd like to go to Graceland someday, I heard it's cool as heck.
Jonesboro, Ar., boy does that bring back memories, I went there several times as a kid. I lived in a small town NW of there a little in little kid life. Glad you had a good time with your sister, Joyce.

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

shortleaf - Interesting about the moon. Your white blooming plant appear to me to be a native white aster. We have those around here.

happg - Looks and sounds like you and sis had a GREAT time. Sounds like a well planned out vacation - that is wonderful!! Good for you!

Country Gardens - Nice potato harvest and what beautiful black soil. My soil is clay....

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

66°/65°/45°
Relative Humidity
93%
Today...Cloudy with rain early in the morning...and late in the morning. Partly sunny in the afternoon. Northeast wind 10 to 20 mph with gusts to around 25 mph. Chance of rain 90 percent.
Tonight...Mostly clear. Northeast wind 5 to 10 mph.

Brenda,
House a'fire is right. I had to cut all that back this spring and told myself I will not do that to me again!!! This winter the snow can just blow right into the neighbor's yard. I think we'll have a lot of snow anyway.

Bernie,
Beautiful potatoes!! People are going to be looking for you at the Market!

Happ,
Nothing better than the side trips and great meals on the way to your destination!
Laughing My husbands two aunts just came back from Memphis.
Wow, you did so much, got st see your family and just had a wonderful time.. I'm so happy for you!

Nice moon shot Will!
Yes, I have that aster too. One year I found a caterpillar on it that looked like it was enamaled. Very cool! It would grow into a moth. It was called a brown hooded owlet.

http://www.pbase.com/image/118068633

It will cool down this week. We gathered heat yesterday and now my window is steaming up.
I picked four small tomatoes this morning. Boy, I'm going to have to do much better next year.

Yesterday I mowed and decided to finish trimming a few saplings we missed at my neighbor's. I checked my other neighbor's porch for any deliveries since they are gone. She's expecting delphiniums so I'll need to open the box and water them.

I did all my outdoor chores early and got a nice walk in this morning. It was almost chilly. There was a good breeze and it finally started to spit rain about an hour ago. I found that out running back out to pick up three apples that fell after I had them picked up :o)

I've found three unusuals. First, someone ran over a small snake out front. Yes, I photographed it. We decided it's a Western Fox. I have never seen one around here. It's basically a rat snake. Not venomous. Not aggressive. Sad it's dead :o(
Then I found a garden spider. Small, but we haven't had one for years. I need a picture. Then I was cutting Zebrina Hollyhock for seed and found a caterpillar. Unidentified right now. I haven't found a caterpillar all year.

Warning, I'm going to post the snake :o)

Have a smooth week everyone!

Thumbnail by billyporter Thumbnail by billyporter
Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

billyp - You want to hear something funny? I looked at your snake and first throught you had laid it on a counter top to photograph it, then reality set in and I decided that was asphalt. HA! Laugh is on me. Speaking of garden spiders - those big yellow ones - I have not seen one of those in ages - either. I guess that was the type you were talking about?

We woke to a wonderful rain this morn. NICE!!!

Here are my recent unusuals. 1st picture is Mandy dog. She will NOT ride on the EZ, but she sure likes for it to go so she can run along ahead and scout out whatever. I went to photo some hummers on my pineapple sage, that finally decided to bloom, and when the EZ stopped Mandy jumped on came across and sat on my foot and was giving me the monkey eyes. Some dog! Photo #2 - Yesterday we had a grebe on the pond. It is so small it looks like a duckling to our other ducks. #3 photo is the black vulture that had been on our ponds island for 3 days. Yesterday it was gone. When i tried to take its picture it would turn its back on me (hiding I guess). Lots of fun finds out there when we take the time to look.

Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654

Just to clarify my post about having it 'here' I meant in the kc area....not my house....lol Maybe next year. I am busy bringing things in and everything is a mess, I mean everything....lol. Too many projects going on right now to even cook dinner for DH let alone get ready....

There are lots of great places here since Debra is coming from out of town no need for her to drive so many additional hours. Since no one is coming from the east.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Brenda,
Cracking up! I was thinking it was funny that the snake looked just like our tar and rock road too!! Not too many critters end up in the house to have their picture taken :o)
Yep, That's the spider! I left the plant she had her web anchored to.
Maddie is adorable!! So is the grebe.
Love the black vulture. I've never seen anything like it. Our vultures take off if you come anywhere near.

Happ,
Got a giggle from your ''near invitation'' for the RU!! Maybe this year's theme could be ''bring a hammer'' :o)

Our rain netted us 3/8''. I'll take it! It's chilly too at 60°.

I just ate the last slice of apple pie. Now I'll have to make another.....

Silver maple showing their silver backs while it was raining. It's supposed to be an indicator of rain :o)

(Patti) Wichita, KS(Zone 6b)

I feel like I've been gone for a month! Amy I left to go back to Portland, Or. yesterday. It's taken me 24 hours to recover – and I don't think I'm fully recovered yet. LOL This trip was so much better than her last one. We actually had a chance to do a little bit of running around, meeting up with people she hadn't seen in a long time and eating out. We also got through the most recent season of " House of Cards". We never started watching much before 10 at night. LOL

You guys have all been so busy. Country Gardens your potatoes are amazing! And all the canning that is still going on… I can only shake my head. I have been trying to get out to take my tomato plants out, but that hasn't happened yet. I'm pretty sure it's going to happen tomorrow because it's going to start getting chilly. Truthfully, I'm ready. I still have mulch to put on the north side of the house. Other than that I am about done. I'll start again when it's time to W/S in late December or early January.

Joyce, I had to laugh. I'm sorry - but you set yourself up for that one! "We could have the RU here." ROTFL Glad you got it straightened out.

Tucker and I watched the eclipse too. Beautiful, beautiful. We started out a little hazy but it quickly cleared.

Weather in Wichita: at 4 o'clock it was 85°, at 5 o'clock it was 73°. The forecast says it is going to get down to 59° tonight, with a chance for scattered sprinkles later this evening. It is time to open the windows.

Sally, my Oak Tree was just showing the back of Its leaves, but I thought it was just from the wind. I guess it only works with silver Maples? We really do need some more rain.

Brenda, where is the lab? Maddie is a cutie too! I checked our state birds and we do have grebes but I've never seen one. I often have herons and egrets, on the river across the street.

I can't get this to scroll back up to insert things so I'm going to sign off for now.
Patti

Yeap my fault completely! lol

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Hello Joyce, I posted on the bus the other day, but was having trouble when I hit the "send" button. I don't see my post, so I'm trying to remember what I typed. First, I'll try to make it again for the Spring RU. I'm attending our annual church association meeting/luncheon on Saturday in Alton, IL. Since I'm a board member, I need to be present to vote. I would also enjoy spending time with you all. Again, I'm very hopeful to see you all in the Spring.

Also, traveling last Saturday to Eldon, MO round trip in one day wore me out. I would like to try picking up my sil in Eldon and bring her with me next Spring. Maybe I could spend the night at her home, so I don't have to do a round trip in one day. Lyn is a real sweetheart. Her dh is a great guy too.

I have been working very hard cleaning up the yard before the leaves start falling. Then, all I'll need to do is rake and mulch leaves. Did I say that I pulled my old electric chipper/shredder out of the garage and it still works?

My sweet little Isabella kitty that slept with Pepper killed a squirrel today. Though I appreciated her thoughtful gift, I felt so sad for the little squirrel. I buried it behind the garage between the button bush and my America climbing rose.

Pepper, one of the hibiscus has a flower bud! I'll post a pic when it blooms.

I cleaned out my dh's office and reorganized it. Years ago it was my office, so I'm very comfortable being back in this room.

Time for bed and up early to leave at 6:40 am for my 5 block walk to the bus stop. I'll need a sweater tomorrow morning. Rain arrived this evening along with cooler temps. I'll check back in tomorrow evening before bedtime.

Tomorrow is the last day of September, so what are we going to call the October thread? "Celebrating Columbus Day and the discovery of America's potatoes, corn, butter beans, peppers, tomatoes, pumpkins, and cocoa?" I can't imagine life without these foods! No french fries with tomato catsup? No chocolate? No salsa and tortilla chips? No pumpkin pie? LOL

Oh I understand about needing to vote when you are a board member. Wish more people took board more seriously. I have been organizing the best I can. Started dragging in plants. Hate this part. Leaves are already falling here, pretty hard actually.

I think I am like Betti, I have driven so much I am not interested in driving any more. lol. I am sorry.

I agree with Debra since there are only 4 of us, lets do lunch and then do flowers. Now where to do this.

suggestions?

That sounds good to me too. :~)

Here is a link to places in Independence. I figure this is a good start at least.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g60849-Independence_Missouri.html

That's it, we'll call October the month of french fries and ketchup! Yum!
How can anybody say this pretty purple flower is a weed?! My mom oughta be ashamed of herself!
The seed packet lot was supposed to be planted in 2014, so glad to at least see one kind come up, hopefully the others just need cold stratification first. Here's that packet. - pics #3 and #4
And in closing, I give you my present-day toe blister, it has done popped on me. I know I need Jublia.

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Are we craving BBQ, comfort food, pizza, something else this weekend? Trying to narrow down some ideas for places. lol

That BBQ place on 24 hwy. (in Independence) that's first on your TripAdvisor, is supposed to be real good, pepper. About ten minutes from there is a big park called Fairmount Park, at one time it even had the world's largest roller coaster, just an idea.

No fair, no fair! KC barbecue and I can't come? Succulent pork dripping with sauce. Debra, want to take a cooler with you? I'll meet you at the turnpike and reimburse you. LOL ( I am just kidding – kind of )

I got up this morning and it had sprinkled sometime recently. And it's downright chilly out there. It is 56° at 8:05. Time to pull out the long sleeves. No more rain today for Wichita, that it is forecast for Saturday and Sunday. Saturday, that temperature high is forecasted to be 64°, the temperature today is 72°.

According to the news, between now and months end, we will lose 70 minutes of daylight. There's your trivia for the day.

Have a good one!
Patti

If it warms you up it's only 49 here. LOL

Brrrrrrr

Will, I was eyeing that BBQ place also. But I'm up for anything Sat. We just need to nail down the place and time by tomorrow.

I'm fine with whatever, I'd still go to Bothwell. BBQ does indeed sound good. I plan on bringing some heckacious nice plants and better than average pots to give away at the ru. I didn't want to say anything until it was closer to time to leave but I leave for trucking school sunday, I scheduled it for the day after the Ru. I'm thinning out my plant and pot collection big time.

Yes, cooled way down, Patti, my nose has been running like gang buster's.

This message was edited Oct 1, 2015 8:32 PM

Sounds like bbq. What is the name and where is it and time?

Congrats Will, we will be having a celebration for you. Congrats again.

Gonna ge cold tonight! yuck....

Sorry, duplicate post. I still haven't mastered my $49 tablet.

This message was edited Oct 2, 2015 1:33 AM

Thanks happ! It's on 24 hwy, (Indep) just west of the light at 24 hwy and River blvd (on 24 hwy).
There's a Shoneys and Wendy's just east of there on 24 hwy (the Truman Library is also east of it). Oh, no celebration for me!
I don't want the wait-staff to sing a song or anything! Its called A Little Bbq Joint (the sign is hard to see). I'm open on the time myself, maybe noon? I know of 3 nice parks minutes from there.
Will

This message was edited Oct 2, 2015 12:30 AM

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Too much to catch up too again.

It's been a full two days and now I get to pick green beans and do laundry today. No rest for the weary :o)
I did get a few things cleaned out and donated to Goodwill when we got groceries. Dad stopped yesterday so I gave him the cardboard I was collecting so he could start his fires in the stove in the barn. Now I need to dust and vacuum the whole house. Oh yes, no rest for the weary!

I was playing a game on my computer Wednesday and a message came on telling me my hard drive was damaged and I needed to back up files. So I shut down, got out the Sandisk I was going to move pictures to and started that.

DD's husband is a computer ''geek'' and had two days off, so they came down Wednesday afternoon and he backed up everything on my computer. More than I had. I wouldn't have had Windows 7... That took until 6:00pm. Then he and my husband ran to Best Buy for a new hard drive and fan. They got that all in and reloaded my stuff around 9:10 pm. By 9:30 they all left and I went to bed.

Yesterday, we got groceries in the morning and spent all afternoon and evening at DD's while her husband transferred my pictures off the Seagate external drive, onto another storage stick and then transferred them back.
Apparently when I had the Sandisk on and turned on the Seagate external drive at the same time, it made all the Seagate pictures into FAT32 rather than NTFS. The computer couldn't read them. We bought a recovery program at DD's, online, and used that. It downloaded everything and even recovered from erased spots. There were no pictures, just a message that it couldn't be recovered.

We had come home at 7:00 pm. because it still needed another half hour and we needed baths. I told DD while she had it, to take pictures from it. I don't have a lot of good pictures of the kids because someone is always moving, but, more than she's been able to take. So I haven't seen the results of my Seagate yet, but I learned a thing or two. You need to format the stick if you are going to use it for pictures. It's set up for booting, hence the FAT32. I know, this was almost over my head and it's pretty basic.

Have a Fabulous Friday!

And the spider, and neighbor cats we've adopted.

Ok guys I posted this in the RU thread also. Meeting at A little bbq joint at noon. Here is the website. http://www.alittlebarbqjoint.com/

I learned in recent years that the 24 hwy part can be confusing, it's commonly called Independence Avenue, same road.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.