CLOSED: MAY 2015 QUEEN "" DEEJAY9"""

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

LK - happy to hear it at a 3 instead of 10....let us know how you make out tomorrow!

Love the floral print.....I think we all need garden aprons from that print.... :)

DJ - love your idea of rest..... ;) Yum on the shortcake.... I was going to ask what movies you watched...how much popcorn you ate etc!

Today was my day to get other work besides gardening done....that didn't last long - it was too nice of a day to ignore the outside....I got a bit of school work done....a bit of laundry done....and alot of gardening done. I've got plants to move but I'm always so nervous to move them as I want the best time to give them the best start. Usually I move plants when I know it's going to rain on them for a while.....I've never moved a peony....good luck with the transplant! I've got to relocate some phlox....it never blooms well where I have it....and one of my giant hostas are hogging my beautiful liguleria.....hmmm....more work on my list of to do's!

My hubby got the tree cut that we're going to use for our mailbox post since ours we wrecked by the plow guy - twice this winter! The log is about 12 - 15 inches round and about 10 feet tall....now we just need to de-bark it and seal it....more on the to do list!

It was a fun day....tired now!

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

Gm all Just about to go out the door for my Blood draw it is rainy this morning so i will go see what I Can get into before the sun comes out today :)

Betty : Your Secret Garden won't be a secret for very Long but i Love your colors :)
4 boxes to get ready to mail this week so no Movies for me this week .

will try to get back in by noon.

afternoon ev1 well my sister Lorraine & Niece Wanda & Her 3 kids were here & we Played in cement all afternoon :)
they are sitting up right now when they are Dry I will take better pictures .
we put a few wet leaves on top so they wouldn't dry to fast & Hope the cement won't crack. The 1st one is my attemp at my 1st Bird bath. :) & Hands the other 2 are Wanda's Rhubarb Leaves made into a Pond fountain will show better after they dry .

well i need to sit back awhile ya all have a fun day .

Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9
Victoria Harbour, ON

Cement or hypertufa Susie?
That time of year isn't it 'rhubarb leaves'

They. Make up my secret garden and pond walkways..wonder why we have aches and pains lol
One keaf took a bag of cement.

Anxious to see them

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Maybe you can mist them with water, and place plastic over them to help with the drying too fast.

Those are going to look nice!

It is trial & Error we used 3 bag of cement/ crete Mix My sister brought the rhubarb over to me I Have a Crisp in the oven & enough to may a strawberry -Rhubarb Jam :) I Don't dare to make a pie , the crisp is bad enough but i have my brother & Neighbor to help eat it :) jam last the winter :) & Gifts

ready to drop already so I will get back in tomorrow :)

Victoria Harbour, ON

Good way also of doing hands is using rubber gloves, you can really work cement/hypertufa into the fingers..what is important is having some fibreglass threads or flakes added in for strength.

Jam, mouth watering

Natick, MA

Susie,

Cant wait to see the results of your cement projects! I have wanted to try something like this as well!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Found some cement projects

Large bath I added stain powder to and baubbles

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Ocean Springs, MS

I feel like such a slacker... My doctor increased my medication and all I want to do is sleep! It is helping tremendously with the pain. She said I needed the sleep to help my body heal. A lot of inflammation from the fibromyalgia and depression. Seeing psychiatrist to change my antidepressant because my primary care says its not working! Dang! I just want to feel normal and be able to enjoy life! Just writing this brings me to to tears. I'm sorry but I have no one else to talk to.

Susie, congrats on the baby. Betty, fabric is so pretty. Linda Kay, keeping you in my prayers. Kathy, enjoy your vacation! Val, would love to see pics of the tree!

I'm getting out of the house for a while tomorrow. Just need a break from cabin fever. I think that when I get up in the mornings, i'm going for a walk no matter what. I need some outside time, even if it's just a walk! Y'all have a good night! ♥

Betty what was your mixture when you mixed for the planters do you remeber ? love your projects how did you do your Mushrooms would love to do a few,

We used just cement but I Have a huge box of shreded News paper thought i might add to the cement .

Julie sorry your feeling so bad , wish you didn;'t have to take all that meds to be able to feel less pain its no fun to have to sleep our life away to feel No pain .

well its off to bed here soon I Have to do a friends garden tomorrow Just plant her a few of my Hosta's & DL's
you all have a good night .

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

Queen Susie I have sent you a dmail.

Natick, MA

Julie, So sorry you are not feeling well, but you DO need to rest so your body can feel better. In the long run, it will pay off, so take time and do what you need to do and take care of YOU. All these ladies and their projects make me feel like a slacker too! I work during the week and run errands, and then on weekends play "hurry up and get those plants/seedlings in the ground".

Julie, my brain can't remember what I said about a tree?? Happy to post a photo but can't remember what I was talking about!? LOL

I have a number of WS containers that I need to plant, and am getting them in slowly. I have to pace myself due to knees/back issues, but it is coming together (started this huge backyard gardens last year and it was So nice to see so much come up and sprout and grow this spring. Looking forward to those blooms

The cement projects look so cool! .Betty, what neat things you've created! The first photo would not get any larger than a thumbnail when I opened it, would love to see it up close and personal (larger)!

Have a good day everyone, I am off to work and be thinking of you all!

gm all trying to get around to go over to my friends place & plant a few Plants for her Not sure if we are going to get any rain its mostly south so I need to go soon , just in case
so BBL

Afternoon ev1 I came Home to 2 very very Nice Boxes
the 1 st one I opened was from ROSE318 / Patti
& what a Box
A sign that say BLESS Our Family as we Live & Grow so pretty Next is a Misting Fan for those very hot days , & 2 Butterflies to hang on a couple of my Planters .

Then of all the goodies was the Vintage Pillow cases .
thank you so much for all My very nice Royalties.

so sorry pictures below

This message was edited Jun 10, 2015 5:17 PM

Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9

ANother Great Royalties box was from Taters / LK
oh such a Nice Chocolaty Box .
Linda Made me 4 Very nice & lg Pillow cases it hard to find the large ones now i won't have to squeese & Tuck to get my pillows in the cases :)

& She Knows How I love to bake in the Winter & Use Lots of Pecans so she sent me 2 bags :) & as you can see My Chocolate habit will be taken care of for a month or 2 :)))

Then I found 2 pks of Caladium's & I plan to get them planted this eve when it cools off , & the frog Planter is going to hold
My candy for awhile :)

& the most needed is the pruners I have 3 bushes in need of a pruning & My old pair are duller then dull
so i hope to try these out later tonight also .

thank you all for a royalty day

Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9
Victoria Harbour, ON

That lindakay sure knows how to spoil!

I'm smiling si can imagine the grin you have

Glad you got my box. Don't eat all those choccies at once.

Do you have pictures of Patti's items.

so sorry I Know I Put the pictures on The message wonder why they didn't post so sorry I should have come back to check .
I love all my goodies , & The hand made Pillow cases will really be Great On my Bed :) ty both .

I was so tired out from getting the rest of my friends plants in that after I opened my pressies I had to lay down well i just woke up :( sounds as I'm going to have to have jim hook up my air this weekend . He's mowing right now so not going to go out or i will be plugged up all night.

you all have a great eve I'm going to get my dishes done .

Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9

Susie I love those crocheted pillow cases. My mom used to do things like that.

Ocean Springs, MS

Oh, Queenie, you were treated so royally today! Nothing better than hand-made goodies, pecans, and chocolate!

Thank you all for the well wishes. Pain is better, but still drowsy. Afraid to drive. I have to do some shopping, so I may have to skip my morning dose tomorrow. I know it will get better!
Love you all ♥

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

Very nice! I love the pillow cases. You got so many goodies, all well deserved.

gm YES I was very blessed I put the caladium bulbs in a little water last night for they looked so dried up & when i went out to let the chickens out they look as there is life back in them so i will plant them this morning we are to get some rain today & tomorrow :)
so looks as our play date tomorrow may have to be cancled.

betty :do you have a step by step for the Mushroom's & planters
that I can print off.

Victoria Harbour, ON

You gee,

Give me this morning and I will try to recap

Actually, I've all the fixings from last year, could do a batch and take photo's

Lunch time ,Bulbs Planted , SOME weeding Done , Have to take a trip to town for the weed killer yet .

Betty there is no hurry & I really do not want to change your days in anyway.

I told my brother I was going to go to town & Now my Dog /Peanut is sitting by my car :) so guess i better get off here .

but here are a couple cuties from the Garden

Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9
Victoria Harbour, ON

Amazing, you are north of me and yet you are likely a month ahead with flowers

As I think of it I'll tell you what you need

Hard bristle wire brush (gives the mushroom the indentation look a real mushroom has)
Do you have a ' block' processing facility near you? They would have fibreglass fibres, I think this is a must because it gives you strength...if not I'll look to see how much I have, don't remember if I used it all, doesn't take much

Containers..I bought at Walmart tall vases for tall mushrooms, remember they can't have any type of indentation otherwise when the cement sets you won't be able to get them out of the vase..if you want round mushroom. Bowls will do fine

Plastic bags for sure and I also use Vaseline to wipe the containers with before I set plastic bags, makes it so much easier to pill out

Now what I did find helpful is I went to the hardware store and bought large spikes, those are for the stems, easy to push into the ground

So that is a few things you can gather

Victoria Harbour, ON

Found Fiberglass fibres, you need so little I could if you can't find any send you enough for a few batches. Here is what it looks like-photo1

Workers next door are setting in casings for a fence, I took out my mold for a beach like the one I did for myself and wondering if I'm brazen enough to ask if they have some left over cement could they fill it..would be nice for dil

Hmmm

This message was edited Jun 11, 2015 11:21 AM

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Go for it Betty. My mom gets stuff all the time just because she asks and she is a " little old white haired lady" her words not mine. lol She might smack me if I called her that. ;)

Victoria Harbour, ON

Tempted, they are digging holes right now, I'll wait till I see them mixing..yep sometimes pulling the seniors card helps

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Queen Susie ,

Just dropped in to say hi to everyone. I hope you all are doing well. Susie I am so glad you received your box. I just loved those pillow cases, and had to have them for you. I just love vintage, and the beautiful handcrafts. When you rest your head on them I hope you have sweet dreams , and inner peace. Take care,
Hugs.
Patti

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

I'm curious....if they fill the tub....how do you get the tiles on the sides of the bench?? I'd love a bench like the one you have in your garden...it's so beautiful!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning

Didn't get the mold filled, wrong cement, will pick some up today..

When out of the mold and cured I take out all my stained glass pieces left from project, use split allies and other glass bobbles..I used silicone (?) to adhere them to the cement slab, left them for a couple of days then grouted..voila a bench

Victoria Harbour, ON

Hope this helps Susie
HYPERTUFA

I would think that sand would work if you can get your hand inside enough to mold it, or maybe you cold use a tool of some kind to round it.

I just finished the instruction page for tonight. Here it is, see if you have any questions. I'll bring the instructions along with me, you don't have to print these.

HYPERTUFA MUSHROOMS
Supplies Needed:
Wire brush
Lighter as used to light bbq-used to seer odd fibres when mushrooms are dry
Molds:
Glasses, Bowls, Vases, Plastic cups, Pringles cans, paper towel tubes,
Pipe wraps, etc.
Rubber Gloves
Container for mixing
Plastic bags, plastic table cloth for working area
Electrical tape or duct tape
Scissors
Nails for mini mushroom set. Spikes for all others

Peatmoss (Sieved)
Perlite or Vermiculite
Portland Cement (No substitute)
Strengthening fibers ie Fiberglass fibres

Hypertufa Recipe:
2parts Peatmoss
2 parts vermiculite or perlite
2 part Portland cement
fibres, maybe 1/2 cup
Around 1 qt water

Mix the dry ingredients well. Slowly add water. This mixture doesn't contain as much water as a standard concrete recipe because hypertufa has a more open, porous texture. Therefore add water until the mix resembles a crumbly cookie dough. Press the mix firmly into the mold.

NOTE
Stems must be made a day ahead
Smaller batch for stems

Wearing gloves (and dust mask if you wish (I just hold my breath) Mix dry ingredients until completely combined. Add water slowly until consistency of oatmeal or a little wetter.

STEMS
Prepare your mushroom stem molds. If using glasses or vases line with plastic. Your stems must be made at least one day ahead of the mushroom caps. If using paper towel tubes, wrap in electrical tape to stabilize tube. If using pipe wraps, tape sides in several places. For both of these you mush cover one end completely with tape.

MUSHROOMS

Take handfuls (or smaller depending on size of stem) and place in mold, tamping as you go along. Set aside and continue making stems or caps. When mixture has had a chance to set up some, place wire or large nail in to serve as support for final mushroom.
Prepare mushroom top molds by lining with plastic, again taking mixture in your hand place in cap mold tamping as you go along. Leave a little headroom (about ½ to 1 inch). Set aside to set up a little before inserting stem into wet mixture.
Let them sit for 1 to 1 ½ days before unmolding. When unmolded, carefully take stem or cap and brush with wire brush to give distressed look and remove any plastic that may have stuck to them. Torch off fibers and you are finished!!

you was busy ty for the info that will really help us out . looks as i just might have to pick up a few supplies today to have on hand when they can get back here .
rainy this morning so about noon it is going to clear off so i will call them to see if we are still on for today or not :)

Well I Was invited to the HASTINGS Garden club Meeting last Night & Their guess speaker was a couple of people from the conservation Office & they were looking for (volunteers ) for a few Wildlife Refuge centers WHA???? & My ( Friend ) Looked at me Knowing I have lots of woods + & so they will be out next week to check out my Back woods , NOW To Break it to JIM Sure Glass he left early this Morning so i can put it off for the day anyway . Not sure How he is going to take :)

Also got enlisted to sit at the main BOOTH to enroll People for the Garden tour July 11th sure glad she didn't put my gardens on the tour they are a mess right now .

Will Someone come & tape my Mouth & Hands up Not sure what is Bigger on me . MY FEET- MY MOUTH- OR MY HEART .

as for now my mind is telling me I need to get busy . ya all have a great day ,

oh I heard from Alana /PDF she is sending a Gift card from NOLA"s Iris Gardens so I will let you know what I choose when I get the card :)

Just a couple of my Blooms

Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9

Oh Susie I know the answer to which is bigger, YOUR HEART! And your lilies are beautiful! Good luck with the wildlife conservation people and Jim.

Funny how our big soft hearts can get us into trouble so quickly.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Yep lindakay, Linda came today wanting to do a craft for her daughter, my goddaughter..
Of course she wanted to do the window on the back deck, could we be done by 4. Lol
So we decided on the smaller piece

Lucky I have a few windows under the deck, yep, we found enough supplies for her to make one

While I roughly cut dragonflies she painted the window

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Into the kiln to fire the dragonflies, softens the edges..needed 2 firings to fit them all in

We visited 3/4 hr at a sil's who had heart surgery last week while waiting for kiln to cool

Did someone a favor, florist delivered gorgeous flowers as a thank you..how lovely

And if that wasn't enough to fill my day she asked if I could cook chicken and sliders for her hubby's supper soooo it's been quite the day

Looking for some sweets and lick rice to nibble on while I watch a movie, best I go buy some

And yes, she left a few minutes after 4

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze

oh betty you was busy today me I went to town early then came home & rested most of the day :)))
my body just would not let me move of the chair but i need to go outside & see if more blooms have opened today & Get some fresh air :) .

Might just have to wrap my New RWB Blanket around me its a little cool outside :)

Natick, MA

Wow, Betty, all in one day!? You are AMAZING!! What a LOVELY dragonfly window, too! You are a woman of MANY talents.

Susie, it's about time you take a little R&R; you have been going every min. for weeks! Your body is telling you it needs to slow down for a bit! How cold? I dont think you know how to pace yourself, Susie, and you have friends who like to volunteer you besides. How did it go with Jim? What exactly is involved in have a wildlife refuge on your property?

What lovely daylilies.
The only dutch iris that bloomed for me this year that I planted last fall are looking lovely and brightening my day. The other sent up shoots sometime in the fall, and then did nothing this spring. I'm hoping they just needed a rest and will bloom next year. I planted 60+ of them!
Anyone else have a similar experience with bulbs and/or dutch iris?

It was 88 here and TOO hot to do much in the garden. I watered in the a.m. and then waited til later afternoon to plant some plants in the garden.....More to go in tomorrow, and some to pot up for a bit!! :o)
Maybe I'll get to some wintersowing seedlings (planting) this weekend..what do you think!?

Hope everyone else had a great day...and have a good weekend!

Thumbnail by valal

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.